Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:13 AM

Should Women Be Silent In Churches? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Women Be Silent In Churches? (10688 Views)

Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches / Corruption In Nigeria: Even In Churches, Ushers Steal From Offerings – PFN Chief / Lack Of Manners In Churches These Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by 2good(m): 4:17pm On Jun 24, 2012
ayobase:

My friend, how do u read and pass?
What back up do you want.....go study Corinth's history and come back to share d applications!

See how you are regurgitating what someone else said. Can't you try and have an independent mind and thought? Also what do you know about Corinthian history before telling someone to go and research about the Corinthians? You will still end up quoting what some pastor or fellow Christian have interpreted to be the truth with absolutely no single proof to back up your claims except your words.
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by ayobase(m): 4:18pm On Jun 24, 2012
ckkris: Deborah was wife of Mr Lapidoth, then God Himself anointed her to prophesy accurately. In addition to being a genuine prophetess, Deborah was a Judge, a political position of Queen. Those who refuse to fulfill Luke 11:13 will never understand, will argue endlessly.

Thank u!
All I could see are people analysing Bible logically...no wonder we have ''Pastors'' all abt intellectually deceiving pple with phonetics!
This is my last thread Im gonna argue with these atheists, rather discuss!
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by ishmael(m): 4:18pm On Jun 24, 2012
EPOMA:
What i don't understand about people with the bible is that they always give reasons to favour themselves, we can in as much quote other portions of the bible and say it was meant for galations, ephesian and so on. I think if we believed the bible was inspire by God,I don't think Paul made any mistake from what he said and it was for every believer
If some xtains can believe that this word of God is for the corinthian women alone or galatians or ephesians, then it means that no part of the Bible is meant for nigerians. Are we now saying that nigerian xtains should not believe in some part of the Bible again since no part of it was addressed or referred to nigerians? All letters of the new testament are meant for all today's christains whether greeks, jews, corinthians, ephesians, nigerians, togolese, americans, egyptians, arabians, etc. My brodas and sistas, the Bible is the word of God for all nations.

1 Like

Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by God2man(m): 4:20pm On Jun 24, 2012
Bible verses for the reason behind women preaching in the church;

Joel 2:28 " And it shall come to pass afterward, that i will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall PROPHESY, and your men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions"

The same Bible verse is repeated again in Acts 2:17 for emphasis and confirmation.

It is now fully confirmed in Act 21:9 " And the same man (Philip) had four daughters virgins, which did prophesy."

if you are still in doubt. Roman 16:1 " I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at cenchrea"

she is even helping Paul, see

verse 2 " That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her whatever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself (Paul) also.

Doubters are encouraged to read the whole of chapter 16 of the book of Romans. More women labouring for the Lord are mentioned in this chapter, Romans 16.

What is the meaning of the word prophesy?
It is to speak to men for edification, exhortation, and comfort. It is for the church. In fact, the key for moving the church forward is prophecy, because prophets are custodians of God's secret. Without prophecy, the church will be having problems.

Women are home builders. So why should they be push aside when it comes to the things of God.

However, the gift of prophecy must be controlled, or else people will just be saying nonsense and call it prophecy.

God bless you all.
God2man.
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by Tinkybabe(f): 4:25pm On Jun 24, 2012
I'm surprised many are still trying to prove some points to the poster.He's an atheist(doesn't believe in God or His existence) so spiritual discernment would be nothing but gibberish to him ..I feel he came up with this question to pose confusion.Ayobase..Your contribution has been more than enlightening,thanks for it..Logic mind..I'm not surprised you do not know about the written word of God (logos) and the spoken word of God (rhema).Pls don't be an author of confusion here. Christianity isn't science that you prove with facts and figures.
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by hrhobi1(m): 4:29pm On Jun 24, 2012
To prophesy is far different from been a church leader or pastor. You can seek prophesy from a woman to know if God is in support of your endeavor but not to sit in church as man and be a member of church headed by a woman, Any man that is a member of such a church should be ashamed and rather make his wife the head of hes house.

Yes we must respect women, but the head of my church must be a man.God can even use a child of 3 years to pass a message to his followers but cannot be the head of the church.

God2man: Bible verses for the reason behind women preaching in the church;

Joel 2:28 " And it shall come to pass afterward, that i will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall PROPHESY, and your men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions"

The same Bible verse is repeated again in Acts 2:17 for emphasis and confirmation.

It is now fully confirmed in Act 21:9 " And the same man (Philip) had four daughters virgins, which did prophesy."

if you are still in doubt. Roman 16:1 " I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at cenchrea"

she is even helping Paul, see

verse 2 " That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her whatever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself (Paul) also.

Doubters are encouraged to read the whole of chapter 16 of the book of Romans. More women labouring for the Lord are mentioned in this chapter, Romans 16.

What is the meaning of the word prophesy?
It is to speak to men for edification, exhortation, and comfort. It is for the church. In fact, the key for moving the church forward is prophecy, because prophets are custodians of God's secret. Without prophecy, the church will be having problems.

Women are home builders. So why should they be push aside when it comes to the things of God.

However, the gift of prophecy must be controlled, or else people will just be saying nonsense and call it prophecy.

God bless you all.
God2man.
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by virgo(f): 4:31pm On Jun 24, 2012
ayobase:

So, making a suggestion can turn one to Chauvinist.
Na wa o!
Seriously?

Yes seriously. A suggestion like the one made by Paul was discrimatory, sexist and very chauvinistic, but it is understandable given that his views were founded on the patriarchal social system prevalent in the Middle East where he was from and where the three Abrahamic religions were founded. This value system sees women as nothing more than chattels and has always been against religions that venerate them. So there, Paul's opinion was culture driven and can be disregarded. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by ayobase(m): 4:31pm On Jun 24, 2012
logicboy01:

Look at this joker. Is the bible not written in English? Or do you wait for your pastor to selectively read and preach it to yoU?

U went to church for 20yrs aight?
Hmmm......
Did you have a personal relstionship with God during those 2 decades or just going to church cos u wouldnt wanna be ass-whipped by ur parents for refusing to follow?
Those that left Church today did so cos they are coward....they cant live to face challenges....always blaming others for their failures, but working on themsleves.
I simply know when a pastor is trying to hoodwink....I gat a witness in my heart!
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jun 24, 2012
34-36 Wives must not disrupt worship, talking when they should be listening, asking questions that could more appropriately be asked of their husbands at home. God's Book of the law guides our manners and customs here. Wives have no license to use the time of worship for unwarranted speaking. Do you—both women and men—imagine that you're a sacred oracle determining what's right and wrong? Do you think everything revolves around you?
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by 2good(m): 4:33pm On Jun 24, 2012
I am surprised that Christians are this sexist. Why do women still cling on to religion with all these discrimination they experience from the men? Both Christianity, Islam and Judaism all have discrimination against women yet women look for excuse to justify their relegation to a second class status. Really funny
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jun 24, 2012
Sean lenux: Go by what is in the bible, women should not be allowed to preach or lead any service in church. Its against the scriptures. If they must participate, it should be through their husband. May God increase us in knowledge.
i guess you are/used to be a celestian.
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by logicboy01: 4:58pm On Jun 24, 2012
ayobase:

U went to church for 20yrs aight?
Hmmm......
Did you have a personal relstionship with God during those 2 decades or just going to church cos u wouldnt wanna be ass-whipped by ur parents for refusing to follow?
Those that left Church today did so cos they are coward....they cant live to face challenges....always blaming others for their failures, but working on themsleves.
I simply know when a pastor is trying to hoodwink....I gat a witness in my heart!

Sharaap
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by Goshen360(m): 4:59pm On Jun 24, 2012
@ OP,

I first responded to this thread because I was about going to bed when you started this thread yesterday. I know you as an Atheist and you claimed to have been a Christian for 22 years or so. If truly you are once a Christian, I wonder how you read your bible within those 22 years and later became an Atheist. Well, that is by the way. I didn't want to jump into your thread because I hate wasting my precious time with you as you don't read ANYTHING about the Bible to learn but to discredit it. You are always reading the Bible with the mind of finding fault and loop holes forgetting that the letters kill but the Spirit gives life. However, I do not want you get away with this. Now, back to the thread.

First. There is NO one verse of the scripture that stands on its own. This is what the bible meant when it says, "no scripture is is PRIVATE interpretation". You cannot up-root one verse OUT OF CONTEXT and give/apply an interpretation. This is not how the bible says we should interpret the bible. Okay. (Am going through this, if only you want to learn)

Now, Let look at 1 Cor. 14: 34 in context (the whole) and see if actually Paul is saying. What does it mean to be silence according to that verse and in context?

Silence is an English word translated from the Greek, "sigao" and it means: to be still, KEEP silence, to hold one's peace. So what is the Apostle saying? Let's put this meaning in place of silence and in context and let's see how it reads:

Let your women [be still, KEEP silence, hold their peace] in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law. When we read "keep" as it precedes "silence" means a state of "maintaining" silence and not a state to shut up without talking.

Paul is NOT saying they should NOT talk because the context of "keeping silence" does NOT mean one should NOT SPEAK. How did I know this? The context. In the same context of 1 Cor 14:27-28

If any man speak in an [unknown] tongue, [let it be] by two, or at the most [by] three, and [that] by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Here we read Paul said one should keep silence AND LET HIM SPEAK. Ladies and Gentlemen, I submit to you that, the sense of "keep silence" does not mean one cannot speak. It simply means to hold one's peace and be still IN THE CONTEXT OF ORDERLINESS AND FOR EDIFICATION. This we can clearly see in the context of verse 30-31 same chapter,

If [any thing] be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.. So we read clearly here in this context that the sense of "keeping silence" IS NOT OR NOT TO SPEAK IN THE CHURCH BUT EDIFY, ORDERLINESS, LEARNING AND COMFORT. The context of 1 Cor. 14:34 is demonstrated in the next verse 35,

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

It therefore follows that the sense of "keep silence" in the church IS NOT TO MEAN THEY CANNOT TALK AT ALL WHILE IN THE CHURCH BUT THE SENSE AND CONTEXT IS AS IT RELATES TO DISORDERLINESS, LEARNING, CONFUSION AND NOT EDIFYING. Because we already see in the context of verse 28 that one is asked to be silence and still speak. How can someone be told to be silence and still asked to speak? It doesn't make any sense that way. So we should understand what Paul is saying.

Again, "KEEP SILENCE" cannot not mean total non-speaking state in the sense that same Paul in 1 Cor. 11:5 taught that women can pray and prophesy in the church which involves an act of speaking.

But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with [her] head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

So how can a woman pray and prophesy if she should totally remain quiet? Paul is not saying women should be silence in the sense of total non-speaking/talking state when they come to church BUT silence as in the sense of learning, comfort, edification and orderliness and this truth we clearly see in verse 35, 26-33 and verse 40 which says,

Let all things be done decently and in order.
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by MrCork17: 5:05pm On Jun 24, 2012
logicboy01: Please, I am waiting for christians to explain this new testament verse;

1 Corinthians 14;34
women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says

hell yesssss. they talk too much (no oofeinse)....ermm Mr MOD Sexxskillz, its just my profesional opininon! angry
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by ijawkid(m): 5:07pm On Jun 24, 2012
logicboy01:

So you support this sexism? Has Buzugee been teaching you?

Is this what our God likes? Hmm? That women should be silent?

Silence doesn't mean thÉy shuld move aboÙt d congregation with padlocks around there lips....

It means they shuldnt assume headship roles that rightly belongs to men in Gods arrangement.......

That verse applies to a congregation gathering......

Women have d great priviledge of preaching Gods word from street to street and from house to house,but as far as taking d lead in d christian congregation is concerned its for men....

Read 1 timothy chapter 3 and see if women can meet up those qualifications to serve as bishops and deacons.................

Now I knw why ur an atheist....

Ur so myopic as not to have understood simple bible principles and hw they shuld be applied........

When u can't comprehend u run into conclusion that God encouraged sexism....

Like I also told u even Jesus couldn't have assumed Yahwehs role in some issues......

That is headship my bro,not devaluation.....

That arrangement was made so that things can go on decently and by arrangement(1corinthians 14:40)

In ur home if @ all u'll get married u'll be d head of d house.....

Ur wife definitly will have limited authority compared to yours.....

If common sense can't teach u that,then I wonder what to do with u.......
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by logicboy01: 5:16pm On Jun 24, 2012
Goshen360: @ OP,

I first responded to this thread because I was about going to bed when you started this thread yesterday. I know you as an Atheist and you claimed to have been a Christian for 22 years or so. If truly you are once a Christian, I wonder how you read your bible within those 22 years and later became an Atheist. Well, that is by the way. I didn't want to jump into your thread because I hate wasting my precious time with you as you don't read ANYTHING about the Bible to learn but to discredit it. You are always reading the Bible with the mind of finding fault and loop holes forgetting that the letters kill but the Spirit gives life. However, I do not want you get away with this. Now, back to the thread.

First. There is NO one verse of the scripture that stands on its own. This is what the bible meant when it says, "no scripture is is PRIVATE interpretation". You cannot up-root one verse OUT OF CONTEXT and give/apply an interpretation. This is not how the bible says we should interpret the bible. Okay. (Am going through this, if only you want to learn)

Now, Let look at 1 Cor. 14: 34 in context (the whole) and see if actually Paul is saying. What does it mean to be silence according to that verse and in context?

Silence is an English word translated from the Greek, "sigao" and it means: to be still, KEEP silence, to hold one's peace. So what is the Apostle saying? Let's put this meaning in place of silence and in context and let's see how it reads:

Let your women [be still, KEEP silence, hold their peace] in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law. When we read "keep" as it precedes "silence" means a state of "maintaining" silence and not a state to shut up without talking.

Paul is NOT saying they should NOT talk because the context of "keeping silence" does NOT mean one should NOT SPEAK. How did I know this? The context. In the same context of 1 Cor 14:27-28

If any man speak in an [unknown] tongue, [let it be] by two, or at the most [by] three, and [that] by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Here we read Paul said one should keep silence AND LET HIM SPEAK. Ladies and Gentlemen, I submit to you that, the sense of "keep silence" does not mean one cannot speak. It simply means to hold one's peace and be still IN THE CONTEXT OF ORDERLINESS AND FOR EDIFICATION. This we can clearly see in the context of verse 30-31 same chapter,

If [any thing] be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.. So we read clearly here in this context that the sense of "keeping silence" IS NOT OR NOT TO SPEAK IN THE CHURCH BUT EDIFY, ORDERLINESS, LEARNING AND COMFORT. The context of 1 Cor. 14:34 is demonstrated in the next verse 35,

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

It therefore follows that the sense of "keep silence" in the church IS NOT TO MEAN THEY CANNOT TALK AT ALL WHILE IN THE CHURCH BUT THE SENSE AND CONTEXT IS AS IT RELATES TO DISORDERLINESS, LEARNING, CONFUSION AND NOT EDIFYING. Because we already see in the context of verse 28 that one is asked to be silence and still speak. How can someone be told to be silence and still asked to speak? It doesn't make any sense that way. So we should understand what Paul is saying.

Again, "KEEP SILENCE" cannot not mean total non-speaking state in the sense that same Paul in 1 Cor. 11:5 taught that women can pray and prophesy in the church which involves an act of speaking.

But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with [her] head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

So how can a woman pray and prophesy if she should totally remain quiet? Paul is not saying women should be silence in the sense of total non-speaking/talking state when they come to church BUT silence as in the sense of learning, comfort, edification and orderliness and this truth we clearly see in verse 35, 26-33 and verse 40 which says,

All this epistle you are writing does not mean anything.

Silence/hold your peace means shut the hell up! End of story.

Yes, you are right....I hardly read the bible when I was a catholic. Catholics in general do not read the bible. Just go to mass and take holy communion like sheep.
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by chibu05(m): 5:21pm On Jun 24, 2012
what c
an of silent sould there be?
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 24, 2012
Goshen360: @ OP,

Absolutely spot on !!

But brother, I am not so sure we should continue to debate the enemies of Christ with gospel truths.

What they need is salvation and if they reject it , we have no further business with them.

Harsh but true.

God bless.
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by aiksneffects: 5:42pm On Jun 24, 2012
that is like comparing bible teaching to the african pagan belief that say women should not eat certain animal parts-it is reserved for men. Women should not break colanut, thats for men. Women should not climb tree or drive a truck. Women should not divorce, even when the man is repeatedly giving her STDs, drunkenly beating her up or even polygamizing the marriage with other women. hahahaha and the lists goes on. Now even to preach the word of God to lost souls, you guys are saying women should not. which bible is saying that. Tell that to joyce meyer, Paula white, Juanita Byanum etc
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by fortran12: 5:43pm On Jun 24, 2012
Some passages in the Bible should cannot be understood without knowing the background story or Jewish traditions, its best to know so as to understand what the Bible says in some parts
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by okeyxyz(m): 5:58pm On Jun 24, 2012
women cannot hold spiritual authority over men!
that's the reason paul gave the commandment.
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by 2good(m): 6:00pm On Jun 24, 2012
okeyxyz: women cannot hold spiritual authority over men!

why?
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by tidytim: 6:01pm On Jun 24, 2012

thank you
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 24, 2012

plausible , but quote some other verses to support this, though I am in agreement at a high level.

thanks
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by Goshen360(m): 6:13pm On Jun 24, 2012
logicboy01:

All this epistle you are writing does not mean anything.

Silence/hold your peace means shut the hell up! End of story.

Yes, you are right....I hardly read the bible when I was a catholic. Catholics in general do not read the bible. Just go to mass and take holy communion like sheep.

You see logicboy01, this is the problem you have even when I showed you from other scriptures that the same Paul wrote that woman pray and prophesy which both involves speaking or talking, you still can't reason with that. I have said it in the beginning of my response to you that your 22 yrs of being a Christian or church goer needs to be questioned and you just confirmed the truth to my statement. How can you still continue to argue after I just showed you. If you say "keep silence" means shut up, and I showed you other instances where same Paul wrote women to speak/talk, then Paul will be contradicting himself.

You see what your problem is, you are reading the Bible with a veiled mind and therefore, you are reading to find fault. The word of God is NOT contradictory IF YOU TAKE TIME TO STUDY (not just reading like circular novels or newspapers). This is one of the reasons why I don't like dealing with you because you are always wanting to keep arguing and am not in for that, am sorry. If everyone is like me on this board, you will be preached to in due season just like Frosbel said but if you refuse, you will be completely ignored and allow to talk to yourself. However, I still promise to engage you someday that I have time for you. No harm meant. I leave you with these words from the Bible:

But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 2 Cor. 3:16 Niv
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by Goshen360(m): 6:18pm On Jun 24, 2012
frosbel:

Absolutely spot on !!

But brother, I am not so sure we should continue to debate the enemies of Christ with gospel truths.

What they need is salvation and if they reject it , we have no further business with them.

Harsh but true.

God bless.

You are right. I just gave logicboy01 many instances where same Paul also wrote that women should talk and he still insist on arguing. I can't keep arguing with him like you noted. If you observe me, I don't jump into any thread by logicboy01, I don't just want him get away with this, that is the reason I jumped into this thread. Keep expanding the Kingdom of God my brother Frosbel and the Lord is your portion and reward. Thank you.
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by okeyxyz(m): 6:21pm On Jun 24, 2012
2good:

why?

frosbel:

plausible , but quote some other verses to support this, though I am in agreement at a high level.

thanks

on spiritual principles, god has made woman subject to the man and for the man's "use", as a "helper/companion", likewise, the man is created a "helper/companion" for god's use. Bible says the head of man is christ, and the head of woman is the man, so a woman cannot pass spiritual judgement in a church. I don't mean she can't lead a prayer session, rather she cannot establish the liturgy or patterns or worship of that congregation. she can follow them, but cannot decide them. hope i'm making sense?

let's go back the first lesson in the garden of eden: when eve eat the "forbidden fruit" as far as god was concerned, it did not matter there's no covenant between god & eve. eve was adam's "business", but the moment adam touched that fruit, that's when all hell broke lose.
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by coolzeal(m): 6:22pm On Jun 24, 2012
You do realize that in some of the ancient religion in Africa, women were deities and are worshiped, in fact you will hardly find male deities then. I think some history are not being told and the bible is genuinely not accurate..
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jun 24, 2012
Goshen360:

You are right. I just gave logicboy01 many instances where same Paul also wrote that women should talk and he still insist on arguing. I can't keep arguing with him like you noted. If you observe me, I don't jump into any thread by logicboy01, I don't just want him get away with this, that is the reason I jumped into this thread. Keep expanding the Kingdom of God my brother Frosbel and the Lord is your portion and reward. Thank you.

of course I agree.
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by Orikinla(m): 6:29pm On Jun 24, 2012
I don't think women were excluded when the Psalmist said the following in praise of God:

[size=28pt]100 Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.

2 Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing.[/size]

3 Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

5 For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

~ Psalm 100

King James Version (KJV)
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by Goshen360(m): 6:29pm On Jun 24, 2012
frosbel:

thanks

Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety. 1 Tim. 2:11-15 Kjv

@ Frosbel,

Here again we see the "silence" in parallel WITH LEARNING. The bible is very clear on this subject. It is women lording authority over men that the word of God doesn't teach. The silence is NOT to "shut up" and never to speak. It is in reverence to subjection, learning, orderliness, edification and comfort.
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by 2good(m): 6:37pm On Jun 24, 2012
okeyxyz:

on spiritual principles, god has made woman subject to the man and for the man's "use", as a "helper/companion", likewise, the man is created a "helper/companion" for god's use. Bible says the head of man is christ, and the head of woman is the man, so a woman cannot pass spiritual judgement in a church. I don't mean she can't lead a prayer session, rather she cannot establish the liturgy or patterns or worship of that congregation. she can follow them, but cannot decide them. hope i'm making sense?

let's go back the first lesson in the garden of eden: when eve eat the "forbidden fruit" as far as god was concerned, it did not matter there's no covenant between god & eve. eve was adam's "business", but the moment adam touched that fruit, that's when all hell broke lose.

Africa still have a long way to go with your reasoning. Its really a pity that people will regards you as a leader with a God given authority. Have you ever worked under a woman in a cooperate environment?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What's The Difference Between Christianity And Jehovah Witness? / Dangers Of Sleeping With Another Man’s Wife / Dramatic Construction Of Muslim's Response To Reading "The People Vs Muhammad"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.