Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,801 members, 7,806,230 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:16 PM

700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers (4970 Views)

Lagos Houses To-let Mainland/island / FG’s Mortgage Scheme Kicked Off With First Set Of 10,000 Houses / Hot Lagos Houses For Sale: 08033071649 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by TonySpike: 12:38pm On Jun 25, 2012
By AKINPELU DADA

lagos State is set to blaze a trail by implementing a unique house numbering project that will make identification easier for the over 700,000 buildings in the metropolis and enhance planning, AKINPELU DADA writes.

The era of haphazard numbering of houses and difficult identification of streets in Lagos State will soon be over a following moves to number afresh all the 700,000 buildings in the state.

The House Numbering Project will be undertaken by the Lagos State Signage and Advertisement Agency, which is set to commence work on it in the weeks ahead.

The Managing Director, LASAA, Mr. George Noah, explained that the HNP was aimed at inscribing proper house numbers on all buildings and properties in the state with the resolve to provide an orderly house numbering pattern that would complement other activities of the state government, while at the same time match acceptable international standards.

Read More at: http://www.punchng.com/business/homes-property/700000-lagos-houses-to-get-new-numbers/
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jun 25, 2012
Damn...that should be a multi-billion naira project..who's the lucky chap?!! grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by Pergrace: 1:05pm On Jun 25, 2012
Ranks007: Damn...that should be a multi-billion naira project..who's the lucky chap?!! grin grin

na real lucky chap.. grin grin grin
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by Arysexy(m): 1:15pm On Jun 25, 2012
Ranks007: Damn...that should be a multi-billion naira project..who's the lucky chap?!! grin grin

Tinubu embarassed
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by EPOMA(m): 1:15pm On Jun 25, 2012
na only where you mind dey go or you are always happy to go to an address that is described as opposite roundabout, next to,infront of ,behind tasty fried chicken, Ikeja. Am always surprise that even abuja get this kind of addresses

1 Like

Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by drealsirhid: 1:22pm On Jun 25, 2012
Arysexy:

Tinubu embarassed

everything that has to do with simple investment or ordinary government project in Lagos is Tinubu abi. just suprised at ur level of reasoning.
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by drnoel: 1:41pm On Jun 25, 2012
anoda avenue to eat the country´s money that is already finishing

1 Like

Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by Afam4eva(m): 1:43pm On Jun 25, 2012
Why must we always put the cart before the horse. People have become poorer than they were few years back and more people are joining the league of poor Lagosians and yet the Lagos government thinks it's more important for 700,000 houses to get new numbers instead of using the billions of naira that will be used for this useless project to better the lives of Lagosians.
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 25, 2012
d_realsirhid:

everything that has to do with simple investment or ordinary government project in Lagos is Tinubu abi. just suprised at ur level of reasoning.

that dude might be right!!!

EPOMA:
na only where you mind dey go or you are always happy to go to an address that is described as opposite roundabout, next to,infront of ,behind tasty fried chicken, Ikeja. Am always surprise that even abuja get this kind of addresses

I am not in disagreement with the government mind you?

Arysexy:

Tinubu embarassed

likly 70% grin grin grin grin

Pergrace:

na real lucky chap.. grin grin grin

grin
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by ejidokun(m): 2:21pm On Jun 25, 2012
Lets see the positive effect.. Google maps would b able to map houses properly smiley

1 Like

Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by RichDad1(m): 2:22pm On Jun 25, 2012
Tony Spike: By AKINPELU DADA

lagos State is set to blaze a trail by implementing a unique house numbering project that will make identification easier for the over 700,000 buildings in the metropolis and enhance planning, AKINPELU DADA writes.

The era of haphazard numbering of houses and difficult identification of streets in Lagos State will soon be over a following moves to number afresh all the 700,000 buildings in the state.

The House Numbering Project will be undertaken by the Lagos State Signage and Advertisement Agency, which is set to commence work on it in the weeks ahead.

The Managing Director, LASAA, Mr. George Noah, explained that the HNP was aimed at inscribing proper house numbers on all buildings and properties in the state with the resolve to provide an orderly house numbering pattern that would complement other activities of the state government, while at the same time match acceptable international standards.

Read More at: http://www.punchng.com/business/homes-property/700000-lagos-houses-to-get-new-numbers/

They've started in Surulere since last week. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Poor Journalism I'll say angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by Whymee: 2:34pm On Jun 25, 2012
Will this not jeopardize the on going New Plate Number, Drivers License etc and other billing system.

They should not only put the revenue generationn wheel of the project into consideration, firm, company will begin to print another correspondence media, job cards, complimentary cards, bill boards etc.
Are government really working 2gether. Why one policy affect others and at the bulk of the conflict, the poor people pay more.
Very soon certain amenities and services will not be available except you produce evidence of HNP payment for you residence or office.

No waoooo
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by Kx: 3:22pm On Jun 25, 2012
Whymee: Will this not jeopardize the on going New Plate Number, Drivers License etc and other billing system.

Exactly.
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by ocheejemb: 3:30pm On Jun 25, 2012
Some of you guys can talk really ignorantly some times....this is obviously a positive development. If every residence in Lagos in uniquely identifiable does this not greatly address many many challenges faced? will this not benefit many many sectors such as postal delivery and the many opportunities it presents (online shopping, cash on delivery, etc), banking, etc. Does it not mean you can confidently give someone just your address and be sure they will find you. Does this not mean that in future, on registering for anything when u put down your address, it can be easily verified that this indeed is a genuine address...does this not have implications for crime control? Does this not mean that instead of LASTMA or the police or whoever stopping you on the road to ask you for bribes, they know where u live and instead send a ticket to ur house.And if you dont respond you can easily be traced I could go on for pages on pages on the possible advantages of this scheme. Yet some of you are complaining about the billions that will be spent on this worthwhile project. Billions that woulnt have reached your side nevertheless.
How can you people be against progress for the sake of maintaining status quo? Yet we are quick to complain about the dearth of infrastructure in this country.

3 Likes

Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by ocheejemb: 3:36pm On Jun 25, 2012
afam4eva: Why must we always put the cart before the horse. People have become poorer than they were few years back and more people are joining the league of poor Lagosians and yet the Lagos government thinks it's more important for 700,000 houses to get new numbers instead of using the billions of naira that will be used for this useless project to better the lives of Lagosians.
Yes...the Lagos state goverment will stand on the road and distribute billions of naira to poor Lagosians that pass by to benefit thier lives, because this kind of gargantuan project wont employ many unemployed youths for its duration. Tinubu is the one that will be knocking the signs on peoples fences by himself. The long term effects wont benefit Lagos either, much like the 'useless' street signs project which ensures that even streets in the most undeveloped parts of Lagos have a sign there in bold for anyone who needs them to find.

3 Likes

Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by velo10: 4:06pm On Jun 25, 2012
Good initiative to correct some maladies in Lagos
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by tevinsolt: 4:37pm On Jun 25, 2012
i swear many Nigerians are retarded as hell, i mean how can you be Negative toward this new development and you wonder why GEJ is your emperor smh.....maybe some of you need to travel out of Nigeria for a while to have a change in ur stone age mentality.

1 Like

Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by GboyegaD(m): 4:55pm On Jun 25, 2012
Choi, Nigerians don suffer for the hands of our government officials shocked shocked shocked. So many things that need attention (e.g. roads, healthcare, education, unemployment etc) are left unattended and all we see are projects that can help enrich their individual pockets. Can Nigeria ever be better
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by dboy365: 5:14pm On Jun 25, 2012
oche_ejemb: Some of you guys can talk really ignorantly some times....this is obviously a positive development. If every residence in Lagos in uniquely identifiable does this not greatly address many many challenges faced? will this not benefit many many sectors such as postal delivery and the many opportunities it presents (online shopping, cash on delivery, etc), banking, etc. Does it not mean you can confidently give someone just your address and be sure they will find you. Does this not mean that in future, on registering for anything when u put down your address, it can be easily verified that this indeed is a genuine address...does this not have implications for crime control? Does this not mean that instead of LASTMA or the police or whoever stopping you on the road to ask you for bribes, they know where u live and instead send a ticket to ur house.And if you dont respond you can easily be traced I could go on for pages on pages on the possible advantages of this scheme. Yet some of you are complaining about the billions that will be spent on this worthwhile project. Billions that woulnt have reached your side nevertheless.
How can you people be against progress for the sake of maintaining status quo? Yet we are quick to complain about the dearth of infrastructure in this country.

I thought everybody here were so short-sighted, ignorant and foolish until I read your insightful post.Its pathetic what Nigerians have turned into!

1 Like

Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by DaRapture: 5:17pm On Jun 25, 2012
oche_ejemb: Some of you guys can talk really ignorantly some times....this is obviously a positive development. If every residence in Lagos in uniquely identifiable does this not greatly address many many challenges faced? will this not benefit many many sectors such as postal delivery and the many opportunities it presents (online shopping, cash on delivery, etc), banking, etc. Does it not mean you can confidently give someone just your address and be sure they will find you. Does this not mean that in future, on registering for anything when u put down your address, it can be easily verified that this indeed is a genuine address...does this not have implications for crime control? Does this not mean that instead of LASTMA or the police or whoever stopping you on the road to ask you for bribes, they know where u live and instead send a ticket to ur house.And if you dont respond you can easily be traced I could go on for pages on pages on the possible advantages of this scheme. Yet some of you are complaining about the billions that will be spent on this worthwhile project. Billions that woulnt have reached your side nevertheless.

Google maps will be able to add Lagos to its directions system if this is achieved.

1 Like

Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by dboy365: 5:20pm On Jun 25, 2012
GboyegaD: Choi, Nigerians don suffer for the hands of our government officials shocked shocked shocked. So many things that need attention (e.g. roads, healthcare, education, unemployment etc) are left unattended and all we see are projects that can help enrich their individual pockets. Can Nigeria ever be better
my friend Gboyega, you too? So you dont like how the address system in usa be, abi?
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by tiarabubu: 5:59pm On Jun 25, 2012
As a physical development professional, this is very important and a commendable step towards making Lagos a functional mega city.

The possibilities are enormous from enhanced e-commerce to crime control, from tax collections (sorry tax evaders) like ground rent/property tax/tenement rates to GPS applications, from infrastructure planning to waste disposal. And of course a big plus to property market through land registry automation and transaction tracking.

I am impressed.

We go to Europe and marvel at how things are so organised but fail to realise what they did to achieve it. This is one of the many they did.

1 Like

Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by naptu2: 6:10pm On Jun 25, 2012
Street signs were erected so that emergency responders (police, fire, lasambus) would easily be able to locate specific streets/addresses.

I didn't realise that this was such a big problem, until I listened to police radio between 2001-2003. The controller would need to direct and redirect the patrol vehicle, thereby wasting precious time.

1 Like

Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by OlaAjia(m): 6:25pm On Jun 25, 2012
GboyegaD: Choi, Nigerians don suffer for the hands of our government officials shocked shocked shocked. So many things that need attention (e.g. roads, healthcare, education, unemployment etc) are left unattended and all we see are projects that can help enrich their individual pockets. Can Nigeria ever be better

I am appalled that for someone who preaches objectivity, even going as far as making it your mantra in form of your signature, your comment seems anything but! I wish we practice as we preach!
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by GboyegaD(m): 6:38pm On Jun 25, 2012
dboy365:
my friend Gboyega, you too? So you dont like how the address system in usa be, abi?

We need to address major challenges at first before dealing with the addresses. The addresses as they are presently are not too bad because I know most Local Government at some time designed street labels and some other private firms and in some cases youths labelled each houses with numbers. There are so many things that need be fixed and that should be the major focus of government.
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by GboyegaD(m): 6:42pm On Jun 25, 2012
OlaAjia:

I am appalled that for someone who preaches objectivity, even going as far as making it your mantra in form of your signature, your comment seems anything but! I wish we practice as we preach!

What is not being objective in my post? Are you oblivious of the fact that Local Governments in Lagos have street labels at the enterance of the various streets in their Local Government? Why are you trying to be sarcastic when in the true sense of it you are not? If government is sincere with their purpose, so many things in Lagos needs be fixed and the idea of a unique number isn't so necessary for now. If you need further clarification or you have facts to disapprove what I wrote, kindly state them here.
Regards,
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by Flow44: 6:48pm On Jun 25, 2012
Thanks @oche & @tiarabubu for your contributions. I can assure a whole lots of people who kick against every good step made by some of our leaders that the first day you will sit on the presidency seat, you will loss touch with your brains.

Rome was not built in a day. I have documentaries of the history of some great cities in the world and if you think that this initiative is not important then I have this to tell you ''google the importance of good house numbering system''.

For every topic, google it first so that you can be in the mode to comment.
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by OlaAjia(m): 7:57pm On Jun 25, 2012
GboyegaD:

Why are you trying to be sarcastic when in the true sense of it you are not?

I'm not sure why you think I am trying to be sarcastic. Sarcasm is generally marked by witty comments that say the exact opposite of what the commentator meant, but I actually meant what I said, so no sarcasm intended!

GboyegaD:

What is not being objective in my post?

In your post you claimed that "all we see are projects that can help enrich their individual pockets", referring to Government (with this project in context).
The problem with this post is that you did not provide evidence that it's a project that will enrich their pockets, you didn't not show that you know the amount being spent on this project or who the project is being awarded to (if at all it is being awarded to a private firm). You automatically made an unverified conclusion, the comment was biased, hence lacked objectivity!

GboyegaD:

Are you oblivious of the fact that Local Governments in Lagos have street labels at the enterance of the various streets in their Local Government?
All local governments do this? I know for a fact that this is not so. Even in many parts of Lekki, one of the more elegant places in Lagos, street names are conspicuously missing.

GboyegaD:

If government is sincere with their purpose, so many things in Lagos needs be fixed and the idea of a unique number isn't so necessary for now. If you need further clarification or you have facts to disapprove what I wrote, kindly state them here.
Regards,
What I gather from what you have said here is that you don't necessarily have anything against this exercise, you just don't believe it is high up in the order of necessity, right? The problem with your comment is that it seems to assume that this is the only project the government is working on. In fact, there are many more things Lagos government is working to fix simultaneously, so this line of argument doesn't hold. Rather, if you have a project which you feel should be attended to before this one, point it out and we may even petition the governor to redirect his attention as necessary. Furthermore, you apparently wrongly assume that this project doesn't have benefits external to its immediate nature of numbering houses; whereas, as Oche_ejemb has pointed out, there are many benefits social, economic and security wise that this project will bring along with it.

I have quoted Oche below for information purposes.

Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by GboyegaD(m): 8:40pm On Jun 25, 2012
OlaAjia:

I'm not sure why you think I am trying to be sarcastic. Sarcasm is generally marked with witty comments that say the exact opposite of what the commentator meant, but I actually meant what I said, so no sarcasm intended!

Noted.

In your post you claimed that "all we see are projects that can help enrich their individual pockets", referring to Government (with this project in context).
The problem with this post is that you did not provide evidence that it's a project that will enrich their pockets, you didn't not show that you know the amount being spent on this project or who the project is being awarded to (if at all it is being awarded to a private firm). You automatically made an unverified conclusion, the comment was biased, hence lacked objectivity!

Can you highlights projects carried out by government for which it isn't to enrich their pockets most often? How many contracts have been awarded fairly?

All local governments do this? I know for a fact that this is not so. Even in many parts of Lekki, one of the more elegant places in Lagos, street names are conspicuously missing.

The few places in Lekki and Ajah that I have been to has street post attached to them as such, I find your claim difficult to accept. However, if your claim is correct, that could be done with less amount and the funds can be channelled into some other projects that would improve the life of the residents.

What I gather from what you have said here is that you don't necessarily have anything against this exercise, you just don't believe it is high up in the order of necessity, right? The problem with your comment is that it seems to assume that this is the only project the government is working on. In fact, there are many more things Lagos government is working to fix simultaneously, so this line of argument doesn't hold. Furthermore, you apparently wrongly assume that this project doesn't have benefits external to its immediate nature of numbering houses, whereas, as Oche_ejemb has pointed out, there are many benefits social, economic and security wise that this project will bring along with it. I have quoted Oche below for information purposes.

Very true. If you claim Lagos Government is fixing so many things simultaneously, I would appreciate you enlighten us on the things been fixed and where they are been fixed. In the period of time Fashola has spent been governor of Lagos State, most of his policies and actions have been so elitist in nature and there is a need for him to also work on those places assumed as low class. As regards Oche's position, I could agree with some part but disagree with the most. We do not keep data (information) in Nigeria as such, having unique numbers would not resolve the challenges being faced presently.
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by OlaAjia(m): 9:50pm On Jun 25, 2012
GboyegaD:
Can you highlights projects carried out by government for which it isn't to enrich their pockets most often? How many contracts have been awarded fairly?

I thought we were talking about this project specifically? In any case, this is a fallacious request. You're the one making the claim, so the burden of proof is on you, not me.

GboyegaD:
The few places in Lekki and Ajah that I have been to has street post attached to them as such, I find your claim difficult to accept. However, if your claim is correct, that could be done with less amount and the funds can be channelled into some other projects that would improve the life of the residents.

I take it you've only been to few places then? Yes, my claim is correct. Moreover, before you suggest less amount, do you know the amount that's being channeled into it in the first place and how this amount is planned to be used? Here again, you seem to presume this project is not intended at improving the lives of residents and I cannot understand why this is so.

GboyegaD:

Very true. If you claim Lagos Government is fixing so many things simultaneously, I would appreciate you enlighten us on the things been fixed and where they are been fixed. In the period of time Fashola has spent been governor of Lagos State, most of his policies and actions have been so elitist in nature and there is a need for him to also work on those places assumed as low class. As regards Oche's position, I could agree with some part but disagree with the most. We do not keep data (information) in Nigeria as such, having unique numbers would not resolve the challenges being faced presently.

A lot of effort is being made in transportation. The BRT scheme for example, doesn't seem like an elitist project to me. Lagos is also currently working around the clock to realise its light-rail project which will further crash the cost of transportation and this is apart from the inland water dredging to expand the reach of ferry transportation too. The expansion of the Apapa-Oshodi express way is an ongoing project too. Again, this is not an elitist project. Also, the recently passed tenancy law in the state doesn't seem much like an elitist policy to me. There are many more which I can't list now but can easily be researched. I think you can get further details from the State's official website for ongoing, completed and planned projects.

As regards the bolded above, I cannot fathom why you would think an information database should presuppose the presence of unique identifications when in fact, without these unique numbers, a comprehensive database cannot exist. My educated assumption is that this project is necessitated exactly for the purpose of keeping an accurate, extensive database of the state's residences and by extension, its residents. This project, if properly executed, will address major challenges known and unknown. I implore you to reconsider your position in light of this.
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by 360command: 8:23am On Jun 26, 2012
This is good. they should not only number houses but also re-paint the poor peoples houses and re-fix of better roofing instead of those zinc roofing.wall housing paintings should be subsidized so as most people can afford to re-paint their homes making Lagos cleaner,brighter and friendly.
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by flenjor(m): 10:25am On Jun 26, 2012
Checkout frequently asked questions and answers on the house numbering projects on http://www.lasaa.com/in-your-area/faqs/faqs-on-house-numbering-project

(1) (2) (Reply)

60% Of C Of O In Lagos Are Fake – Lawmaker / Sanitary Toilet And Kitchen Wares At Is Cheapest / 10 Cheapest Places To Rent An Apartment In Lagos State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.