Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:42 AM

Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash (2365 Views)

Man Shoots At Jehovah Witnesses For Visiting / Jehovah Witnesses And Trinitarians Got It All Wrong - Did Jesus Resurrect Bodily / Jehovah's Witnesses: the only true religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by 1naijaboy(m): 7:37pm On Nov 28, 2007
Is it just me or Jehovah Witnesses have a way of annoying the shit out if you?They come smiling sheepishly and tell you they want tpo have a chat with you.Even though you might not have the time and patience,you give them 5mins,then they go on and on.Where the gist leads to sounds like something like this:We have a magazine here that you should read but though we dont accept money,but we do accept donations.What the Bleep is a donation!They never talk to you without soliciting for money.Didnt Jesus say something like seek first the kingdom of God and you cannot serve God and Mammon?? What y"all think
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by djl(m): 11:14am On Nov 30, 2007
hmmmm
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by djl(m): 11:25am On Nov 30, 2007
1naijaboy:

Is it just me or Jehovah Witnesses have a way of annoying the shit out if you?They come smiling sheepishly and tell you they want tpo have a chat with you.Even though you might not have the time and patience,you give them 5mins,then they go on and on.Where the gist leads to sounds like something like this:We have a magazine here that you should read but though we don't accept money,but we do accept donations.What the mess is a donation!They never talk to you without soliciting for money.Didnt Jesus say something like seek first the kingdom of God and you cannot serve God and Mammon??   What y"all think
Actuaaly the first time they came to me,first they asked me how long I could spare them to discuss with me. After the discussion, they showed me some magazines which they said do not have a price but base on voluntary contributions from people like me and then  asked if I was willing to collect any of it. I collected two and contributed a very unimmagined small amount. So, naijaboy, think of other ways of being against the Jw's cos everything you posted are nothing but lies.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by grafikdon: 3:03pm On Nov 30, 2007
I am not in line with most of their doctrines but I have been reading their Awake magazine since I was 9. I find it very refreshing with lots of useful info (not religious stuff). Like djl said, it is voluntary and they hardly push for the donation. I do drop in some insignificant amount once in a while. I don't see anything wrong with that, not at all.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by Ndipe(m): 12:18am On Dec 01, 2007
An organization that does not believe in the physical Resurrection of Jesus Christ? Stay away from them!
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by Nobody: 3:20am On Dec 01, 2007
grafikdon:

I am not in line with most of their doctrines but I have been reading their Awake magazine since I was 9. I find it very refreshing with lots of useful info (not religious stuff). Like djl said, it is voluntary and they hardly push for the donation. I do drop in some insignificant amount once in a while. I don't see anything wrong with that, not at all.

I read their Awake (not Watchtower) mag for the same reason also.
@poster
I remember years ago in Nigeria, they sold those mags.
But now they just request a donation (any amount).
You can even say you do not have any money, them no dey vex put.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by Kobojunkie: 3:29am On Dec 01, 2007
The magazines cost money to print. Over here it is free but you understand how life is in Nigeria and I don't see any reason for you to be miffed in any way that they ask you help out with some money for the magazine

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by stag: 12:55pm On Dec 01, 2007
@khai_khai.You can even say you do not have any money, them no dey vex put
dem don dey vex put o. u do not drop the supposed donation, then they aint giving u any. am a passionate reader of their journal both awake n watchtower. but when they started refusing to let go of the journals except u r a donor -i quit. sure of ones around broadstreet, marina, ipaja, egbeda so it aint just one group of them
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by Bobbyaf(m): 9:40am On Dec 02, 2007
I can understand their wanting a donation in order to maintain the printing cost. I see nothing wrong with that at all. I have read one or two of their magazines before, and have given contributons for them.

As SDAs we use literature to share what we believe, and we usually charge. Surprisingly we don't usually get any resistance at all. In fact our literaature evangelism is so effective that more than 70% of those who have accepted our message did so because of having read some SDA literature.

I have to say, if nothing else, that JWs demonstrate dedication. I really admire their faithfulness. I might not agree doctrinally with them, but I really admire their dedication.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by Nobody: 12:26pm On Dec 03, 2007
@ Stag
That is not true! If someone did refuse to give you the publications because you did not give them money you should have contacted the local congregation and reported the person because that is not how the arrangement works at all. All publications that are offered by JWs are free. In the past there was a price that was attached to the publications but not any more.

@Ndipe
The physical resurrection of Jesus when? Do you mean in the future to come or in the past after his death?
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by djl(m): 12:45pm On Dec 03, 2007
stag:

them don dey vex put o. u do not drop the supposed donation, then they aint giving u any. am a passionate reader of their journal both awake n watchtower. but when they started refusing to let go of the journals except you're a donor -i quit. sure of ones around broadstreet, marina, ipaja, egbeda so it aint just one group of them
with stag abi wetin you call yourself,  even if you are ready to contribute a million naira but aint really interested in reading their magazines, they would never give it out to you. Moreover, the funniest thing with most of you is that you pick ideas from what other people say not what you know or have experienced
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by ajadrage: 12:46pm On Dec 03, 2007
Nobody go force you to make any contribution and the token that most give (when they do) don't even cover the production cost so what's your beef?

Ndipe:
An organization that does not believe in the physical Resurrection of Jesus Christ? Stay away from them!
i wonder what gave you this impression, you need to get your facts about the organisation and their teachings straight
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by stag: 8:12pm On Dec 12, 2007
djl:

Moreover, the funniest thing with most of you is that you pick ideas from what other people say not what you know or have experienced

i boldly gave the areas. i usaully gave about 200naira but didnt know how i was gonna give 'em 50naira for two journals this time.so i first teased with 'no money' cos really i didnt have much to give but sure had something for them.it shocked me when i heard 'ok,maybe next time' and didnt give me any.

around ipaja,this guy walks up to me and starts up a conversation.i say to him 'look i dont have the compulsory money to give for something supposed to be free'.i tell him to his face that i no longer read it when its no longer for free.he asks and i tell him i love reading both. he hands me one and says for next time! he sounded like 'its not for free but since u r such a broke ass u cant even afford chicken feed,i'll give u one' grin

, and the one asking me to go the local branch to report. dont you sound rediculous to ur ears? shocked do u still want his firstname,lastname and local church? possibly his age,driver's id,int'l passport? for ur doubting minds to properly identify him. dont worry o, just wait for me, for FOREST GUMP will leave his busy schedule running around the hood hunting this guy.

true jehova witness out there, i hail your efforts but if u r with a clear mind to know that there could be real nasty ones just out for the money,making a means of livelihood.its not easy distributing the booklets all day long, everyday without getting some support but not in the manner its done.

i dont need antagonising djl(s).if he aint heard or experienced there are some like that he should rather save his fingers the stress of flying up and down his keyboard.

reports and criticsms on how some behave certainly has not condemned the whole basket.it only calls for introspection. its an ingredent to stir up better you!
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by Nobody: 9:41pm On Dec 12, 2007
stag:

them don dey vex put o. u do not drop the supposed donation, then they aint giving u any. am a passionate reader of their journal both awake n watchtower. but when they started refusing to let go of the journals except you're a donor -i quit. sure of ones around broadstreet, marina, ipaja, egbeda so it aint just one group of them

Hey, those days, they would give me an envelope to put my donation. and I never saw them open it in my presence.
you might be dealing with fraudsters.

djl:

with stag abi wetin you call yourself,  even if you are ready to contribute a million naira but aint really interested in reading their magazines, they would never give it out to you. Moreover, the funniest thing with most of you is that you pick ideas from what other people say not what you know or have experienced
True, I have been told by one to give it back if I wasn't going to read it.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by MP007(m): 7:52am On Dec 13, 2007
may the lord give us the knowledge to recognise those that truly serve him, amen!
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by lami4life(f): 11:53am On Dec 13, 2007
Ndipe:

Yet another hearsay! it would b great to always establish issues before coming up with misleading information. If they truly did not believe in the Christ, his death and ressurection, why would these have been the subject of their recently concluded 3-day convention all over the world (over 230 countries). The subject was "Follow the Christ" and dealt extensively with Christ's ressurection and its eternal benefits 2 mankind.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by Nobody: 1:30am On Dec 15, 2007
hmnn, these guys evoke so much controversy in the christiandm,( thats if they are really xtians).why dont the jus organise a series of tv ads to clear up the misconception.it would help a lot. tongue
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by biife: 12:19pm On Dec 15, 2007
like jesus said, wait till harvest time!

i think it depends on individual witness to discern whether
one has an interest in reading the magazine or not; seriously
speaking, i don\'t think they\'re keen about your cash.

one thing i noticed is that, if you\'re the type who says, when they
approach you, i don\'t have money, they\'re more likely to conclude
you aren\'t interested in the mag!

why, because you\'ve not directed your attention to what they have
for you, they\'ve not come for peddling!

you know, as humans, they\'re imperfect folks: they can make mistakes.
and it may interest you to note that amongst them are inexperienced ones
striving to learn the rope of evangelism; they may miss the mark sometimes.

all in all, they are a wonderful group of folks,

jesus\' ressurection was as a spirit not human [ consider paul\'s argument as regards
those who\'re raised to life in heaven; they shed corruption to inherit that which is
incorruptible]. so how come his disciples could see him afterall?

as a powerful spirit person he could materialize into human body.
but be that as it may, the most important thing is that he was raised by his
heavenly father.

what else?
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by stag: 11:02am On Dec 20, 2007
biife:

you know, as humans, they\'re imperfect folks: they can make mistakes.
and it may interest you to note that amongst them are inexperienced ones
striving to learn the rope of evangelism; they may miss the mark sometimes.

all in all, they are a wonderful group of folks,

what else?

WELL SAID kiss
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by swiftycool(m): 11:34am On Dec 20, 2007
Nigerians have to step up with their mentality of giving
JW peeps have a whole load of contrary doctrines which i completely reject
But the Awake magazine (NOT WATCH TOWER) is a perfect research tool, for useful data,
knowledge and information, which i recomend.
I actually got loads of materials from it whilst doing my final project in Nigeria

For the fact that these people spend time, money and energy trying to get these stuff
to u in your homes, do have the decency to give something back. It costs them a lot you know
In the UK people are paid up to £9 (that N2295) per hour to do things like that
Have a heart and give for what u gain from, whilst maintaining ur stands on belief

Thats what makes the world go round!
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by Aleksys: 2:02pm On Dec 20, 2007
It goes without saying that money is the wheel of good news. JW like every other religious group need money to spread the gospel. You may not agree with their method or their "doctrine" but you cannot fault their devotion. However, all religious group have their peculiar method. RCCG organize revivals and is arguably the fastest growing church in the world. The same goes for Abundant Life and so on and so forth. Safe for the jet set churches in the US where the pastors or founders cruise around in private jets and live in stupendously luxurious mansions at the expense of their donors, I think the evangelical churches are doing great jobs. Judgement the Bible say is of the Lord.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by Bobbyaf(m): 6:18am On Dec 24, 2007
@ Aleksys

It goes without saying that money is the wheel of good news. JW like every other religious group need money to spread the gospel. You may not agree with their method or their "doctrine" but you cannot fault their devotion. However, all religious group have their peculiar method. RCCG organize revivals and is arguably the fastest growing church in the world. The same goes for Abundant Life and so on and so forth. Safe for the jet set churches in the US where the pastors or founders cruise around in private jets and live in stupendously luxurious mansions at the expense of their donors, I think the evangelical churches are doing great jobs. Judgement the Bible say is of the Lord.

I saw a God Tube video recently featuring the wanton and reckless lifestye of Benni Hinn. And this is what they call a ministry that allows a man to dip into the treasury at his will. I have always wondered about their prosperity gospel, which is nothing short of living it up on the poor's hard-earned cash.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by debomb: 4:54pm On Dec 24, 2007
@biife,kattrina,djl and others

Thanks for the honest and true words.

But ofcourse the aim of giving out the magazines is to draw your attention to Jehovah God and vindicate his soverignty thats why they always ask to come back to visit you and discuss more on the bible.

It may amaze pple to know that all of them who go out to preach to people are not paid to do so. None of them are paid to do these work of preaching the word as instructed by Christ. If you are curiouse on how they get their money and print such large volumes of magazines without selling them , please ask them to give you the video on Jehovah's Witness as an organisation.

So you'all pls get your fact right. One way to do so is to ask one when u see them why they think or believe in certain truths. You will be shocked when they would show you from your bible what your pastors cannot. Alternatively, you can attend a public talk on a sunday and see for yourself.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by Nobody: 11:09am On Dec 25, 2007
Well said debomb. I probably should have worded my response differently now that I go back and read it. undecided The organization video is wonderful. I would love to see and updated video made now that the society has their new machinery up and running. I wonder how much of a difference that update makes to the whole printing and distrubution process.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by debomb: 5:33pm On Dec 25, 2007
smiley Thats okay- Bet you speak the pure language too!
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by biife: 1:27pm On Dec 27, 2007
Jehovah\'s Witnesses!

are you guys elders, m/s, or pioneers?
publishers- baptised or unbaptised?
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by Benheart1(m): 2:05pm On Dec 27, 2007
hi guy wat nice a discussion

@debomb ands kattrina r u both jw members
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by debomb: 2:10pm On Dec 27, 2007
@ Ben heart, Biife-

I speak the pure language and baptized too ha ha!
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by Benheart1(m): 2:24pm On Dec 27, 2007
dat's nice
am a baptised M.s i just read ur response to the tread
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by Benheart1(m): 2:43pm On Dec 27, 2007
@biife r u a witness too?
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by Nobody: 11:36pm On Dec 27, 2007
@Ben Heart, debomb, biife

I am a baptisized publisher, this April will make 7 years since my baptism! I was a continual auxillay pioneer for a while in the past, but my schoolwork and my health conditions got in the way. My goal is to be able to do that again, since my health has gotten better I have been working towards that.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Cash by biife: 12:00pm On Dec 28, 2007
my brothers!

go ye into the world and preach the word,
this forum can drain you of useful energy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kumuyi Floats Tv Stationkumuyi / Who Was The First Pope? / Project Serpo: The Zeta Reticuli Exchange 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.