Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:20 AM

Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People (51362 Views)

Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? / Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa / Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Nobody: 1:01am On Dec 08, 2014
Learning nsibidi alphabeth very soon to be used for my logo
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by obong(m): 8:07pm On Dec 08, 2014
chibecanglobal:
Cross river and igbo heritage if you are conversant with its history bro.
It is a known fact that it originated from the peoples of cross river but you should agree that in the course of its development its use spread to other peoples neighbouring the original cross river users which included parts of present igbo land.You should know that it is based on ideas and concepts represented in ideagraphs which transends languages..
i agree
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by skydancer: 3:48pm On Mar 04, 2015
Does anyone know the actual representation of God (chukwu) in Nsibidi? Have been scourging the Internet for it without success.
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Nobody: 9:19pm On Mar 05, 2015
Amazing, didn't know African people had their own language scripts, always wondered why the Asians and Europeans had them but not us Africans undecided
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by MisterG: 11:05pm On Mar 06, 2015
pkjag:
Amazing, didn't know African people had their own language scripts, always wondered why the Asians and Europeans had them but not us Africans undecided

Not to say you are ignorant, but just lack a little knowledge. Some of the world oldest written language scripts is in Africa. You know that right.
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Nobody: 12:27am On Mar 08, 2015
Nsibidi originated from the Ekoi/Ejagham people of Cross River state in Nigeria. It spread to parts of Igbo land from this area. Igbos should stop misintepreting history to assert themselves as a progressive tribe.
Sadly, the Ekois are a minority tribe in danger of extinction. Most of them don't even know their Bantu origin or speak their language. As a result, the Igbos are yet to be corrected on this issue.

1 Like

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Crayola1: 12:34am On Mar 08, 2015
nina161:
Nsibidi originated from the Ekoi/Ejagham people of Cross River state in Nigeria. It spread to parts of Igbo land from this area. Igbos should stop misintepreting history to assert themselves as a progressive tribe.
Sadly, the Ekois are a minority tribe in danger of extinction. Most of them don't even know their Bantu origin or speak their language. As a result, the Igbos are yet to be corrected on this issue.

Which was said on the first page:

Nsibidi's origin is generally attributed to the Ekoi people of southern Nigeria.

So please exit right and don't let the door hit you on your as.s

1 Like

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Roseart: 12:52am On Mar 08, 2015
nina161:

1st:
Nsibidi's origin is generally attributed to the Ekoi people of southern Nigeria. Alternatively J. K. Macgregor claimed in 1909 that it is traditionally said to have come from the Uguakima, Ebe or Uyanga tribes of the Igbo people, which legend says were taught the script by baboons,[3] although one writer believes Macgregor had been misled by his informants.[6]

2: I believe the word you are looking for is not "progressive" but "advanced". But who knows when it comes to people like you who have Igbophobia. And mind you the Aztecs had aquaducts and didn't have a form of w

3: If you are not even bothered to get off your lazy behind and read the first page of this thread it's okay not to comment. You look less ignorant and prejudice that way

Lastly:

If you care so much why are you not reviving it yourself since you have taken the Ekoi plight to heart? This guy who is doing this is actually doing something worthwhile, while you on the other hand...yeah doing pretty much nothing.
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Nobody: 1:10am On Mar 08, 2015
I find it hard to understand why any one would. insult me over my comment. I'm not an Igbo hater, I thought I could use this to correct the wrong info I've heard from people. Sheesh.

1 Like

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Feraz(m): 4:09pm On Mar 08, 2015
nina161:
I do not think anyone has attributed the origin of Nsibidi to the Igbos. At least, from the people I have discussed it with.

1 Like

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Crayola1: 5:57pm On Mar 08, 2015
nina161:
I find it hard to understand why any one would. insult me over my comment. I'm not an Igbo hater, I thought I could use this to correct the wrong info I've heard from people. Sheesh.

You should be insulted. You didn't even take the time out to read the very first page of this thread where what you state was already said and highlighted for everyone who reads this thread. You just say Igbo and ran with it like all the other Losers on Nairaland.

It was a comment born out of ignorance and igbophobia. Why make this comment:

Igbos should stop misintepreting history to assert themselves as a progressive tribe.

You exposed yourself.

The only other people talking to you are the voices inside your head. So go have a heart to heart with you imaginary friends and stop embarrassing yourself with your weak sauce defends for your silliness.

Would you even have anything to talk about if not for the same Igbo person, you are fixing your chapped and cracked lips to insult, decided to revive the dying script? No, so exit up out the thread and tell others like yourself to get bent with a rusty wrench.

Sheeesh.

2 Likes

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Crayola1: 5:59pm On Mar 08, 2015
Feraz:
I do not think anyone has attributed the origin of Nsibidi to the Igbos. At least, from the people I have discussed it with.

It's Igbophobia, some Nigerians can't help themselves. They can't think straight if they haven't put an Igbo person down at the start of every morning.

Everything she thought she was "enlightening" people on was stated on the first page. So what prompted her comment?
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Crayola1: 6:02pm On Mar 08, 2015

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Feraz(m): 6:04pm On Mar 08, 2015
^^^^that aside, what has been done to revive this wonderful piece of writing style up? Any idea if any of the government down East is interested in this? Honestly, I look forward to when it is going to be adopted by the originators, the East and the entire SE.
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Ndipe(m): 3:49am On Apr 22, 2015
I think it's origin is from Calabar.
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Feraz(m): 9:05am On Apr 22, 2015
Ndipe:
I think it's origin is from Calabar.
Yeah it is - more like Cross River though. OP alluded to that.

1 Like

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 22, 2015
Feraz I think the creator is still improving his literacy, and working out the kinks in the script. In due course, I think it he will eventually begin promoting it. The image is of recent diary entries of his which he uploaded on Facebook.

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by buchistars: 1:30pm On Jun 02, 2015
Umu nne ji sie nu ike. Onye nwe anyi gozie unu.
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by chibecanglobal(m): 9:21pm On Jun 03, 2015
skydancer:
Does anyone know the actual representation of God (chukwu) in Nsibidi? Have been scourging the Internet for it without success.
The attached file of name and their nsibidi inscriptions are here to help u

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by irynterri(f): 11:49pm On Jun 04, 2015
geez..i'm in awe and shock..i've never heard abt nsibidi before,dis is jst too beautiful..i am so going to learn and propagate this as a proud igbo chick
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Feraz(m): 9:20pm On Jun 05, 2015
irynterri:
geez..i'm in awe and shock..i've never heard abt nsibidi before,dis is jst too beautiful..i am so going to learn and propagate this as a proud igbo chick
Yeah... I hope to learn also...
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by SonOfEl(m): 4:06pm On Aug 28, 2015
I want to learn this ancient writing too of the ekoi/Igbo people.
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by cheruv: 2:17pm On Aug 30, 2015
Am bringing out a simplified version of the Nsibiri glyphs...learning it'd be much more easier smiley
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Nobody: 12:53pm On Dec 14, 2015
johnnydon22 plaetton ebukasblog mizmycoli
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by plaetton: 1:09pm On Dec 14, 2015
Amazing.
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by WilyWily5: 12:35am On Dec 15, 2015
Brothers and sisters visit this place, u will like it. Www.bia.fr.arepublic.Com. thanks. Remove the dots when typing, combine Bia and fra and republic together to get the full meaning. See u
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Feraz(m): 11:09pm On Dec 26, 2015
plaetton:
Amazing.
Yeah! It is amazing!
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by NakedEve: 1:33am On Dec 27, 2015
You guys are so tupid u dis igbo pple.
Don't you know a possible war is looming and this could be a very effective way of secretly communicating?
I pity una sha.
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Joshkid(m): 6:18am On Dec 27, 2015
NakedEve:
Don't you know a possible war is looming and this could be a very effective way of secretly communicating?
I pity una sha.
#Banned!
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Nobody: 8:24am On Dec 27, 2015
NakedEve:
I pity una sha.
There shall be no war.
And we shall continue to communicate in peace and tranquility

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by SonOfEl(m): 4:04pm On Dec 27, 2015
England began the game of football, but how you feel about football when you get to maracana stadium in Brazil?

Greek scripts originated from Phoenicia, yet A, B, C, D.....Z is of Greek.

NSIBIDI is considered ejagham by origin, but who popularized it with their innovations? IGBOS. That's why today Igbo names can be written in NSIBIDI, thats why Igbo essays can be written in nsibidi.

1 Like

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Nobody: 6:46pm On Dec 27, 2015
skydancer:
This is the symbol for "Chi"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Begins Plan To Take Another Wife, 24 Hours After Marrying New Wife / Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba / Lady Slumped On Seeing Emir Sunusi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.