Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,543 members, 7,808,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? (7009 Views)

How Open Should One Be In Marriage? / Is It Simply Cultural Differences: Or Something Else? / How to Deal With a Wife That Nags a Lot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by Beync(f): 11:10pm On Jun 25, 2012
Please be honest with your answers,

would you quit a lovely relationship due to socio-cultural differences?

Will you ignore the differences and go ahead with the marriage believing that the differences will not matter?

Note, history has it that two or three persons who went ahead and married from the said place did not fair well, but he is sick in love and wants you to marry him.

will you ignore the warnings and follow love?

What's you take on this?

2 Likes

Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jun 25, 2012
I guess d reason no one has ventured 2 reply dis topic is dat LOVE CONQUERS ALL INCLUDING SOCIO CULTURAL DIFFERENCES,so............ wink wink wink wink wink

2 Likes

Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by tpia5: 11:39pm On Jun 25, 2012
do as you like and learn from the experience, i suppose.
Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by Mynd44: 6:58am On Jun 26, 2012
It does not matter at all
Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by claremont(m): 8:02am On Jun 26, 2012
If socio-cultural differences hasn't prevented both parties from being in a relationship, then it shouldn't really be an issue when it comes to marriage. I am yet to see any objective proof that socio-cultural factors negatively impact on marriage between two people from different cultures, I would argue that the reverse may even be the case.
Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by Nobody: 8:29am On Jun 26, 2012
Charity they say begins at home. If 2 people cannot overcome a cultural barrier and start a home based on love, what are we complaining about?

And we keep asking what is wrong with Nigeria? It is inconsequential infinitesimal things such as socio cultural differences even in marriage!

People from this culture cannot stand the other culture, simply because we speak different language, have different intonations, or eat different food?

What then is love?

On behalf of the rest of the world, i weep for Nigeria. . . Smh.

4 Likes

Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by MrsChima(f): 8:42am On Jun 26, 2012
Nigeria the beautifulllll.....sweet land of liberrrrrttttY!
Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by freecocoa(f): 9:40am On Jun 26, 2012
If socio-cultural differences is going to be or is a problem for me i wouldn't go into such a relationship in the first place.

If i could look past our cultural differences and agree to a relationship,i don't see it being a problem in marriage.

Though i know a couple who had no problem with that but their extended families tried their best to make it an issue,at the tail end their love for each other prevailed.

1 Like

Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by freecocoa(f): 9:46am On Jun 26, 2012
jamatracy: Hi! Dear,
I am Tracy I want to be a special friend in your life, and would like to know more about you. You'll know more about me as time goes bye, but please let it be something real and not fake. send me your email contact it will Enable me to send my picture to you privately in your box , Will be glad if you can send me your pictures through the above mentioned addresses.

my Email jama_tracy@yahoo.com

Tracy
Lekwe ha ndi yahoo yahoo.

Come o,let me ask you sef?who exactly is this post addressed to?the whole of NL? So you want to be a special friend to all Nlanders? You must be madt.

C'mon gerrout of here before the angry gods of NL strike you with incurable jedi jedi. Anumanu angry

4 Likes

Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by 3rdparty: 9:49am On Jun 26, 2012
So long as there's understanding between both parties, cultural differences shouldn't really matter

1 Like

Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by Fruitful2: 9:50am On Jun 26, 2012
We must take into consideration what we actually want In a Marriage and what we are bringing into it..Love and the fear of God is a very strong foundation of any Successful home.But there other aspects of Ones Character,Religion,Culture that develops or kill this love with Time.You must ask yourself an HONEST QUESTION,Can you live with the cultural difference IN THE NEXT 50 YEARS WITH THIS PERSON?

1 Like

Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by abdulizom(m): 9:58am On Jun 26, 2012
Cultural diff. do really affect r\ship in d long run.
U can imagine a muslim who in practise own his wife live & dead, will be asked to return d wife's body after death.
A culture dat dos not allow female child access to her father properties, whether dead or alive not even a single room.
Or one in which during father inlaw burial, u pay certain % of burial ceremony sum or cease to be a inlaw.
Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by deandavid(m): 10:03am On Jun 26, 2012
sexkillz: Charity they say begins at home. If 2 people cannot overcome a cultural barrier and start a home based on love, what are we complaining about?

And we keep asking what is wrong with Nigeria? It is inconsequential infinitesimal things such as socio cultural differences even in marriage!

People from this culture cannot stand the other culture, simply because we speak different language, have different intonations, or eat different food?

What then is love?

On behalf of the rest of the world, i weep for Nigeria. . . Smh.
u better dnt weep, cos weeping wont solve anything, we should be moving towards solving our problems,rather than complaining and weeping. To the topic, love is the greatest, love is what any relationship needs, both in marriage and even in this country of ours, d yorubas should learn to love the igbos, igbos forgive the hausa and love them. Thats the only solution.
Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by spothot: 10:07am On Jun 26, 2012
Cultural differences do matter a lot. It's better one marries someone with the same cultural affiliations than otherwise. However, it does not necessarilly mean that those with different cultures can't gel. It's just that the former brings less stress

1 Like

Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by coolzeal(m): 10:08am On Jun 26, 2012
I am marrying for love and not for culture and we can both share and learn each other cultural values and tradition..

1 Like

Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by hustla242: 10:40am On Jun 26, 2012
Same people that say cultural differences matter in marriages/relationships are also the first to jump into one when a foreign man/woman comes calling.

Normal Nigerian inferiority/tribalistic B.S.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by Nobody: 10:43am On Jun 26, 2012
Doesn't matter.
On another note, do you know that just a glass of water can power Lagos for 1 year? https://www.nairaland.com/973294/theres-enough-energy-glass-water

1 Like

Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by Orikinla(m): 10:53am On Jun 26, 2012
Love matters more than cultural differences.
Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by talkingfingers: 11:06am On Jun 26, 2012
I believe culture is made for man, not the other way round. Just as I wouldn't necessarily subject myself to all the provisions of the culture of my kith and kin, so would I take steps to shield my spouse (already or intended) from it whenever the need arises. Culture should guide without necessarily dictating. I guess the main issue is in identifying a person who's strong enough mentally and otherwise to challenge the status quo, not a wuss who'll always succumb to, not just culture now but family, friends and religion.

1 Like

Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by racas: 11:07am On Jun 26, 2012
please dear, follow ur heart. it is a mixed blessing. dem say LOVE CONQUERS ALL.
Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by talkingfingers: 11:14am On Jun 26, 2012
I believe culture is made for man, not the other way round. Just as I wouldn't necessarily subject myself to all the provisions of the culture of my kith and kin, so would I take steps to shield my spouse (already or intended) from it whenever the need arises. Culture should guide without necessarily dictating. I guess the main issue is in identifying a person who's strong enough mentally and otherwise to challenge the status quo, not a conformist who'll always succumb to, not just culture now but family, friends and religion.
Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by Reference(m): 11:14am On Jun 26, 2012
Double edged sword. Resistance can either build or break depending on the severity of the tests or the strength of the characters involved.

Generally multicultural relationships that last tend to produce stronger and more liberal characters.
Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by Naijaklef: 11:22am On Jun 26, 2012
Guy! Marrying from another tribe is not a BIG DEAL.
Howeva, u must look closely into d family u want to marry from.

Wat really matters is the family background of d lady. Don't be fooled.
Here are some things u nid to watch out for.
(1) who is in control of d home?  
Is it d father or mother of ur wife to be? if it's mother then be 
Prepare for d war of "WHO CONTROLS UR HOME" becos ur wife to be, will neva see anything wrong in controlling u.

(2) wat is d relationship between dis family and their neighbours?
Is it a "NO MIND DEM BAD BELLE PEOPLE" relationship or  a "GOD HAS BLESSED ME WIT PEOPLE AROUND ME" relationship?
If u go into family dat believes everybody is their enemy, then u will b seen as 
Another enemy sooner or later..... 

(3) wat is financial status of dat family?
Is it average or below average or above average? D reason for dis is dat
If they happen to b below average then they will always see u as a sacrificial lamb. U will have to take up most bills in d name of marriage.

Above all, watch out for d family's relationship with other people in d
Community.how dey relate wit people around dem will ultimately determines
How dey relate wit u later.

GOOD LUCK

6 Likes

Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by pssword: 11:46am On Jun 26, 2012
It depends on the individuals involved and the compromises they are prepared to make to make it work.
Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by kilimanjaro(m): 11:58am On Jun 26, 2012
I don't wana know where you come from. So far you are beautiful, virtuous, your contours are in the right places with a moderately penalty shoot-out yansh. I'm done.
Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by olsmade(m): 12:02pm On Jun 26, 2012
@mods, a grammatical error on the front page aint nice @ all.
Arrange urself sharply.

1 Like

Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by Beync(f): 12:07pm On Jun 26, 2012
thanks @ all, especially some of you who truly hit the nail. I like the person who said something about what you want, the family background and how they relate with others, also appreciate the one who ask if I could be able to live with these differences say like 50yrs. that's the issue. There are certain things we have power over them, there are things we can change and thing we cannot. Remember there are times when love wil go down but others things will keep it glowing. also in this part of Africa marriage is not just between a man and a woman other things surroundings it. If you love someone but not in acceptance with his people's ways of doing things will u find happiness at the end?

1 Like

Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by mrperfect(m): 12:19pm On Jun 26, 2012
Yes, it matters but both parties could adjust to suit themselves.
Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jun 26, 2012
To be cultural differences has nothing to wit love,I wil go on and damn d consequences
Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by slimming: 12:30pm On Jun 26, 2012
Not at all, others will have to accept my decision or go away.

1 Like

Re: Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? by stepo707: 1:20pm On Jun 26, 2012
Yea it matters and the couples need to adjust ASAP to each other's culture else there will be problem.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians' Sad Response To Rape Cases Is Sick Supporting Timaya And Lecturer / Contraceptive Method / 'Career' Wife Or Full-time House Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.