Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,870 members, 7,802,802 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! (7580 Views)

..... / Sickle Cell Patients: Let's Share Our Wonderful Experience / Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by likeme(m): 8:54am On Jun 28, 2012
“Nigeria has the highest number of sickle cell patients in the world, as one to two per cent of children are born with sickle cell disease. That means that there could be between 80,000 and 100,000 new sickle cell patients born every year in this country.

“At any given time, there may be up to 1 million or 1.5 million sickle cell patients in Nigeria. Because of our large populations, that is the largest for any country in the world.”

He advocated the need to recognise sickle cell as a problem and urged the creation of units, hospitals and apparatus to tackle it.

Rasaq said out of 250,000 children that are born annually with sickle cell disease worldwide, 100,000 are Nigerians.

He said the figure shows that Nigeria constitutes 40 per cent of the burden of sickle cell every year.

He said that since it is a preventable disease, policy makers should enact a legislation making it compulsory for everybody to undergo genotype tests before marriage.

“It is through genotype that one will know whether s/he is a sufferer or not; and whether a person is carrying the gene or not,” Rasaq said.

He also advocated neonatal screening, to enable the authorities know those that have the sickle cell traits, “because when we pick the disease early, it is very easy to have a good outcome later in life.”

Rasaq disclosed that he had been managing sickle cell for the past 15 years and thought that patients could come together to have a support club, which would be a mouthpiece for them and help the young ones to become aware of the disease.

http://www.punchng.com/health/100000-sickle-cell-patients-born-in-nigeria-yearly-uith/

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Acidosis(m): 9:00am On Jun 28, 2012
Really??
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by likeme(m): 9:15am On Jun 28, 2012
Those numbers get one sickening
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jun 28, 2012
Equator + premature medical facilities
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jun 28, 2012
Every organization now predict doom's day for Nigeria. This country does not have biometric database for Christ's sake. How the hell do you guyz get facts without data,.....?

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Nobody: 12:03am On Jun 29, 2012
Why is this news? Nigeria has the highest Black African population, and Black Africans are most likely to have the sickle cell trait, sooo.....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Patsey: 12:29am On Jun 29, 2012
nnenna.1:
Why is this news? Nigeria has the highest Black African population, and Black Africans are most likely to have the sickle cell trait, sooo.....

Why is this news? In this time and age of scientific, technological, medical and genetic engineering advancements, it simply shouldn't be happening again. The generations of my late grandparents married not knowing their genetic make-up. They ended have sickle cell children who didn't make it past infancy, and hence the [i]Abiku [/i]phenomenon. In this time and age, I repeat, I shouldn't be happening. Not any more. Right?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Nobody: 12:30am On Jun 29, 2012
With all these doomsday rubbish - Nigeria still has one of the fastest growing population in the world...

It's either these people are making this rubbish up - or Science is indeed overrated like I've always said... undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by StarrMatthieu: 1:04am On Jun 29, 2012
Good point
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Nobody: 1:08am On Jun 29, 2012
Patsey:

Why is this news? In this time and age of scientific, technological, medical and genetic engineering advancements, it simply shouldn't be happening again. The generations of my late grandparents married not knowing their genetic make-up. They ended have sickle cell children who didn't make it past infancy, and hence the [i]Abiku [/i]phenomenon. In this time and age, I repeat, I shouldn't be happening. Not any more. Right?

Huh? So you're saying that people with sickle cell (genetic trait) should not be existing anymore?

undecided
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by DidierKing: 1:25am On Jun 29, 2012
nigeria na wao
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by miky(m): 1:27am On Jun 29, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Equator + premature medical facilities

actually most blacks are heterozygous carriers of the sickle cell gene,, it has nothing to do with facilities...its a mutation that an advantage to malaria, thats why most whites die of malaria in africa "the term white man grave yard" should ring bells, especially for the gulf of guniea when they ran patrol around the slave coast "Nigeria"...however if u happen to be a homozygous, chances are that you would die of sickle cell, its all genes and luck...
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Nobody: 1:57am On Jun 29, 2012
miky:

actually most blacks are heterozygous carriers of the sickle cell gene,, it has nothing to do with facilities...its a mutation that an advantage to malaria, thats why most whites die of malaria in africa "the term white man grave yard" should ring bells, especially for the gulf of guniea when they ran patrol around the slave coast "Nigeria"...however if u happen to be a homozygous, chances are that you would die of sickle cell, its all genes and luck...

Biologically speaking, yes. But with better medical facilities, like genetic counselors, Sickle cell carriers would know to avoid passing on their genes to their offspring.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Nobody: 3:00am On Jun 29, 2012
The government needs to start looking for genetically modified drugs for this condition.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by tevinsolt: 3:27am On Jun 29, 2012
Nigeria have highest population of black people in the world....what can be done is to educate people more on the issue. also the government can pump money into medical research on how to cure it or live with it.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by miky(m): 3:41am On Jun 29, 2012
all4naija: The government needs to start looking for genetically modified drugs for this condition.

hmm except for a bone marrow transplant with some serious high tech stem cell additives, there is no cure in sight!!! even developed countries are hapless,, and i doubt if just a single drug would be the answer... just like cancer you would go through various remedies spanning even months...
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Nobody: 3:51am On Jun 29, 2012
miky:

hmm except for a bone marrow transplant with some serious high tech stem cell additives, there is no cure in sight!!! even developed countries are hapless,, and i doubt if just a single drug would be the answer... just like cancer you would go through various remedies spanning even months...
Did I say cure or anything relating to that in my previous comment? Stem cell medication is at infancy and there is promising medical success for its applications now and in the future. Believe it or not, genetically modified drugs can be dangerous as well as very effective in fighting conditions, like cancers(from leukemia to brain tumor),deformity, etc.

It is really a promising medical practice.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by MacLovington(m): 6:06am On Jun 29, 2012
miky:

That's right. Medication and blood transfusion give some relief for now. Naija should be at the forefront of sickle cell research. But what about malaria and HIV? should we not also be at the forefront of research? But no, misleaders loot money.

I am always surprised by the quality of research done in the 70s & 80s by Nigerian Universities/hospitals. Some top quality work by Uniben/UBTH, UCLH/UI, Unilag, UNN, ABU, Ife and so on. Really world class then. Malaria, infectious diseases, Reproductive health, just name it.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Nobody: 6:30am On Jun 29, 2012
We are number 1 in sickle cell and maybe number 1 in malaria too. . . .I thought they said people with sickle cell are immune to malaria ? Please, doctors help me out !
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Abali1(m): 6:43am On Jun 29, 2012
miky:

hmm except for a bone marrow transplant with some serious high tech stem cell additives, there is no cure in sight!!! even developed countries are hapless,, and i doubt if just a single drug would be the answer...[b[b]] just like cancer [/b]you would go through various remedies spanning even months...

[/b]

hope you are not comparing cancer with sickle cell disease. unlike cancer, SCD is not a terminal illness. infact a carrier of SCD can have fun and fulfilling life if s/he knows how to manage the disease.
Medical science have advanced to such a stage that one can actually manage the disease with some degree of success.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Abali1(m): 6:48am On Jun 29, 2012
~Bluetooth:

We are number 1 in sickle cell and maybe number 1 in malaria too. . . .I thought they said people with sickle cell are immune to malaria ? Please, doctors help me out !

I am no doctor, but a carrier of SCD should as much as possible avoid malaria. Infact malaria is one the most fatal sicknesses to a sickler. the SCD patient should endeavour to take malaria preventive drugs at least once a month.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by chemberlin(m): 6:56am On Jun 29, 2012
We are cos of our stupidity and ignorance...that this alone can make us change our mind from getting married to some indiviuals base on who we are
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Abali1(m): 7:04am On Jun 29, 2012
chemberlin: We are cos of our stupidity and ignorance...that this alone can make us change our mind from getting married to some indiviuals base on who we are

i dnt really get u.. are u saying that SC should not get married b.cos of their genetic make up.
It is true that they have limited options when it comes to marriage, but if they should stick with people whose genotype are AA, there will be no fear of having SS children.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by mbulela: 7:14am On Jun 29, 2012
nnenna.1:

Huh? So you're saying that people with sickle cell (genetic trait) should not be existing anymore?

undecided
They should not marry each other and if they do,they should not have children. They can always adopt. is that too difficult to comprehend?
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by NwaTeacher1: 7:19am On Jun 29, 2012
SCD is mainly an African disease and Nigeria been the most populated country shows that the statistics is correct. My research work as a pharm. Chemist (Chartered) in antisickling drugs has shown that this disease can be cured with plants. I have 2 plants that can wipe SCD in African race. Oyibo man is not interested becos isn't dia sickness. I have presented a paper both on the local and international journals on this plants as antisickling drugs. Nigerian reseachers are really working on this.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by NwaTeacher1: 7:21am On Jun 29, 2012
SCD is mainly an African disease and Nigeria been the most populated country shows that the statistics is correct. My research work as a pharm. Chemist (Chartered) in antisickling drugs has shown that this disease can be cured with plants. I have 2 plants that can wipe SCD in African race. Oyibo man is not interested becos isn't dia sickness. I have presented a paper both on the local and international journals on this plants as antisickling drugs.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by thepo(m): 7:35am On Jun 29, 2012
good info here, Nigerians most of the time allow love over reality, especially the retarded Christians who believes in miracle in dis case, even God says that a wise person sees danger ahead and avoids it.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Nobody: 7:38am On Jun 29, 2012
inevitable as AS have more resistance to malaria if my memory serves
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Abali1(m): 7:40am On Jun 29, 2012
Nwa Teacher: SCD is mainly an African disease and Nigeria been the most populated country shows that the statistics is correct. My research work as a pharm. Chemist (Chartered) in antisickling drugs has shown that this disease can be cured with plants. I have 2 plants that can wipe SCD in African race. Oyibo man is not interested becos isn't dia sickness. I have presented a paper both on the local and international journals on this plants as antisickling drugs.

Please correct that notion. SCD is not an African disease, there are some caucausians with SCD. Yes, SCD is mostly found in people of African dissent. And again there is no known cure for SCD except bone marrow transplant. Your antisickling drugs can help correct some of the sickled blood cells, but it can not completely wipe it out.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by yankidelta(m): 7:41am On Jun 29, 2012
nnenna.1:

Omo the figure is still alarming whichever way U̶̲̥̅̊ look @ it.Ignorance is one major factor shaa
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by queensmith: 7:48am On Jun 29, 2012
miky:

God bless you, i was literally going to start crying if someone didn't mention this. Given the history of infant mortality, and the abiku phenomenon that someone mentioned. It only makes sense most will carry the traits. It's a selective advantage.

They should be working more on the malaria problem we have!

They need to start investing in better treatment of these patients, the prevalence isn't going away any time soon. They should be catering for them there is no need for them to be dying in their early 20s. The world has advanced beyond that point. If a country like England can provide better treatment for a disease that isn't even endogenous to it's own type of people then I don't see why Nigeria cannot.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman Born With 3 Breasts Releases More Photos / Enugu Commences Construction Of 7 Primary Health Centres In 7 Lgas / My HIV Test Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.