Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? (9529 Views)

Why Men Fall In Love Faster Than Women? / Do People Fall In Love Via Phone Calls Only? / Men Fall In Love Faster Than Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by emofine2(f): 2:34pm On Jun 30, 2012
I use the term "love" loosely although I suppose it is subjective....but do people catch feelings online at a faster rate than in their dealings in real life?

People have their various reasons and intentions for coming online and some things are much more spontaneous than planned but does the internet engineer some attraction between otherwise distant strangers?

Online in this anonymous and often unpredictable arena most of our thoughts (whether they just be fractions or even fabricated) are laid completely bare and can even be trailed or leave an impression on another. So maybe there is more of a chance on the web because some seemingly attractive characters are not instantly judged by their appearance - so in the internet it may be love at first thought....but then perhaps due to exposure to a higher concentration of people via a medium such as the web, feelings may occur at at higher rate...

So if the personality of particular characters is what instantly attracts another perhaps the internet is a practical medium....but then again attraction may not necessarily be sparked off by personality or even looks although one or the other may form the final conclusion of a person’s attraction or even repulsion.

However do many just misinterpret their own fascination with another as..."love"?...lipsrsealed...afterall one may love someone's humour, love their thoughts or even may love their profile pictures.... grintongue

Maybe some are more conscious of what they say, do and feel online.

P.S. Just to clarify I am not talking about dating sites.

1 Like

Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by london2lasgidi(m): 2:52pm On Jun 30, 2012
are you in love with an online character? lmao........................ you must be really not good looking to fall in love online lmao...

fall in love with me..... and I'll supply all your needs.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by claremont(m): 3:12pm On Jun 30, 2012
People who "fall-in-love" online are not attracted to a real human being, they are attracted to the online alter-ego being presented to them. Unfortunately for these sad souls, their desperation for "love" is so much that they have lost the capacity to differentiate between a real human being and an online alter-ego. So they pursue this online alter-ego with reckless abandon, because it gives them something they desperately lack in the real world.

In addition, most people who go online in a desperate search for "love" do so because they lack the self-confidence to pursue meaningful relationships with people in the real world; this abject lack of self-confidence may be as a result of several failed relationships in the past, or it may simply be because they consider themselves physically defective as far as beauty/handsomeness is concerned i.e. (f)ugly, fat, flat-chested, skinny, e.t.c, or it may be due to a fast approaching old age and its attendant cultural consequences on a single male/female.

I'm totally against any form of online relationship, I believe human beings are social animals who can only form meaningful relationships via physical contact with one another. I would seriously question the sanity of those sad souls who ignore their fellow human beings in real life, and then choose to pursue online characters. Surely, they may have deep-seated psychiatric issues IMHO.

OFF-TOPIC, where have you been hiding?! cool

5 Likes

Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by emofine2(f): 3:18pm On Jun 30, 2012
london2lasgidi: are you in love with an online character? lmao........................ you must be really not good looking to fall in love online lmao...

angry Well currently I perhaps “need” you to vacate my thread so yes I will fall in “love” with you if you’ll oblige grin

1 Like

Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by emofine2(f): 3:25pm On Jun 30, 2012
claremont: People who "fall-in-love" online are not attracted to a real human being, they are attracted to the online alter-ego being presented to them. Unfortunately for these sad souls, their desperation for "love" is so much that they have lost the capacity to differentiate between a real human being and an online alter-ego. So they pursue this online alter-ego with reckless abandon, because it gives them something they desperately lack in the real world.

In addition, most people who go online in a desperate search for "love" do so because they lack the self-confidence to pursue meaningful relationships with people in the real world; this abject lack of self-confidence may be as a result of several failed relationships in the past, or it may simply be because they consider themselves physically defective as far as beauty/handsomeness is concerned i.e. (f)ugly, fat, flat-chested, skinny, e.t.c, or it may be due to a fast approaching old age and its attendant cultural consequences on a single male/female.

I'm totally against any form of online relationship, I believe human beings are social animals who can only form meaningful relationships via physical contact with one another. I would seriously question the sanity of those sad souls who ignore their fellow human beings in real life, and then choose to pursue online characters. Surely, they may have deep-seated psychiatric issues IMHO.

Admittedly I too am cynical about "falling in love" online but wow your language is quite harsh...or shall I say delievered typically in claremont fashion...

By the way some people are rather open online...wouldn't that affect some of your conclusions then? ...and even in real life people may be ambiguous...or is "falling in love" offline to you more noble?

OFF-TOPIC, where have you been hiding?! cool

I've been "hiding" or set up camp rather in the religious board.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by sweetcocoa(f): 3:32pm On Jun 30, 2012
Come emofine,why are you blowing too much grammar this hot afternoon? This matter is supposed to be simple but your english is make am hard now.undecided

1 Like

Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by london2lasgidi(m): 3:43pm On Jun 30, 2012
emöfine2:

angry Well currently I perhaps “need” you to vacate my thread so yes I will fall in “love” with you if you’ll oblige grin

I'll oblige if you're good looking, and since you live in London; the 'love' will get deeper quickly lmao......... pardon my ebonics lmao.....
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by claremont(m): 3:47pm On Jun 30, 2012
emöfine2:

Admittedly I too am cynical about "falling in love" online but wow your language is quite harsh...or shall I say delievered typically in claremont fashion...

By the way some people are rather open online...wouldn't that affect some of your conclusions then? ...and even in real life people may be ambiguous...or is "falling in love" offline to you more noble?

Human beings have evolved primarily via physical contact with one another, the online pursuit of romance negates this very important characteristic. The question really is where would it all end?! I would argue that if this worrying trend is not controlled by those who are into it, we might start having online husband/wives, online kids e.t.c in the near future!
"By the way some people are rather open online": Exactly my point, their so-called openness online is due to an abject lack of self-confidence offline. Ideally, their behaviour should be the same in both spheres, but the mere fact that they prefer to 'open-up' only whilst hiding behind a computer keyboard may reveal deep-seated psychological, psycho-social, and/or psychiatric issues.
"or is "falling in love" offline to you more noble": I think everyone knows my sentiments about this madness called falling-in-love by now, no need to start flogging a dead horse. My infamous thread aptly titled "Love does not exist" refers. grin grin grin

emöfine2:
I've been "hiding" or set up camp rather in the religious board.
These days, the religious section seems to be devoid of thought-provoking topics. It seems to be more or less a portal for religious goons to showcase their ignorance, rather than being a portal for logical and rational debates.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by emofine2(f): 4:18pm On Jun 30, 2012
sweetcocoa: Come emofine,why are you blowing too much grammar this hot afternoon? This matter is supposed to be simple but your english is make am hard now.undecided

Don’t worry you’ll certainly catch my drift from the responses... wink

london2lasgidi:

I'll oblige if you're good looking, and since you live in London; the 'love' will get deeper quickly lmao......... pardon my ebonics lmao.....

So Londoners don begin converse in ebonics eh...so back to the theme of the thread...so even you fit delve in this online wantintin depending on some variables - location and looks?

Dey there my friend who knows we've probably brushed shoulders before...you kno say London na small area before grin
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by emofine2(f): 4:25pm On Jun 30, 2012
claremont: Human beings have evolved primarily via physical contact with one another, the online pursuit of romance negates this very important characteristic. The question really is where would it all end?! I would argue that if this worrying trend is not controlled by those who are into it, we might start having online husband/wives, online kids e.t.c in the near future!

Well one can argue that humans are evolving with this internet age...
Lol but that may very well be in the pipeline for the future...

"By the way some people are rather open online": Exactly my point, their so-called openness online is due to an abject lack of self-confidence offline. Ideally, their behaviour should be the same in both spheres, but the mere fact that they prefer to 'open-up' only whilst hiding behind a computer keyboard may reveal deep-seated psychological, psycho-social, and/or psychiatric issues.

Hmm I believe I’m confronted with a gross generalization here....someone who is closed online isn’t necessarily more confident than those who are open online...in fact one may argue that the ones who are open are just not restrained or are rather talkative...let’s say some because I don’t want to be guilty of generalizing...

"or is "falling in love" offline to you more noble": I think everyone knows my sentiments about this madness called falling-in-love by now, no need to start flogging a dead horse. My infamous thread aptly titled "Love does not exist" refers. grin grin grin

Lol you know what I mean...okay just replace “falling in love” with romance then you’ll get the picture...

These days, the religious section seems to be devoid of thought-provoking topics. It seems to be more or less a portal for religious goons to showcase their ignorance, rather than being a portal for logical and rational debates.

Depending on those you dialogue with there’s some rather interesting discourse there from time to time...
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by tpia5: 4:37pm On Jun 30, 2012
onion.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by london2lasgidi(m): 4:39pm On Jun 30, 2012
emöfine2:
So Londoners don begin converse in ebonics eh...so back to the theme of the thread...so even you fit delve in this online wantintin depending on some variables - location and looks?

Dey there my friend who knows we've probably brushed shoulders before...you kno say London na small area before grin

Basically, I don't think falling 'in love' online is real.. Online is different from real life; and judging an online character based on their online "intelligence" or superficial personality won't give you a comprehensive assessment of who they really.... We're humans, and we all have egos; and I believe most people come to forums like this to find a niche where they can endear themselves to people.......
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by emofine2(f): 4:42pm On Jun 30, 2012
london2lasgidi:

Basically, I don't think falling 'in love' online is real.. Online is different from real life; and judging an online character based on their online "intelligence" or superficial personality won't give you a comprehensive assessment of who they really.... We're humans, and we all have egos; and I believe most people come to forums like this to find a niche where they can endear themselves to people.......

Interesting....as regards to your last sentence I somewhat suspected that motive as well...well at least with certain individuals/forums....

However I anticipate a modern reality where “real life” and “online” will be merged in the future and perhaps even those distinct terms may be rendered redundant...
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by london2lasgidi(m): 4:49pm On Jun 30, 2012
emöfine2:

Interesting....as regards to your last sentence I somewhat suspected that motive as well...well at least with certain individuals/forums....

I think that's what most people do... That's why people stick to the section of the forum where they can fit in properly... For example: I started posting in ebonics yesterday (a language I don't even speak), and I'm sticking to it because most people find it shrewd but funny. I guess that's my new online character lmao....

I tried the London twang in the past, but most couldn't relate to it...
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by pendo89(f): 5:00pm On Jun 30, 2012
I believe that some do and for various reasons.
There are so many desperate people online.Young and old alike. If you get down to asking them questions,you will be shocked by their responses.
Many are moved by words. Many weirdos claim to fall in love with your words.They claim to 'feel' the person in a conversation but you and I know that some people have mastered the art of seducing people online.

It is wrong to assume that people pursuing online relationships have no real life relationships.Very false assumption because I have had all manner of people hitting on me.From married to those with live in gf.
It's more wrong to assume they have faults of any kind.We see pics of very beautiful girls and men flooding the internet.All in search of love.Surely it cant be that they aren't physically attractive.
My assumption is, they want to dare.They want to risk.Whether its good or bad is not up to me to judge.That depends on the individual.

Will give you an example.I converse a lot with people online. But many want to take it to another level.After some time of conversing they start using words like luv,baby,sweetheart. If you ask them to stop they claim to have fallen in love! fallen in love with your words. undecided even if it's business.
I am the sort of person who likes asking so many questions at times it's such put off.Many times am told I have a tough personality online because instead of joining one in talking sweet nothings, I bring in other non interesting stuff. Stuff that one hates to hear but all aimed at stopping one from entertaining vain thoughts.There are people who ar enice to just chat with but online relatioship if not followed up with offline is a waste of emotional energy.
Thing is one must know their strengths and weaknesses. Its nice to be be accomodating online but I try my best to put all necessary blocks to make myself look less attractive online because I know what I want and it can't be found online.
That shouldn't be too hard.

One thing however is,I can't rule out online relationships cz I have personally witnessed two very succesful ones leading to marriage and eventually kids.
After all is said and done,the satisfaction one receives from real people offline is more than what they receives on.

2 Likes

Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by pendo89(f): 5:16pm On Jun 30, 2012
london2lasgidi:

I think you are very correct
I don't know if it's good or bad however because I believe that iron sharpens iron.You come to a forum as big as this,try to shine but discover there are smarter people and you are humbled.People learn from each other online.
Bring your ego here and it's shredded to pieces.That is how good online can get. Many times people fail to point out your stupidity offline because they fear offending you. But online we don't know you so we don't really care.
I also blve online stuff gives people a nice platform to speak their hearts to strangers esp if there's nobody to listen to them offline.
It doesn't hurt or cost them a thing so it's ok.
Is it wrong to endear yourself to people? Not really, esp if you aspire to lead.It's good to let them know the kind of person you are and allow them to interact with you.When we finally meet offline I wouldn't mind giving you my vote.

Whatever reasons people have for being online,if they do not have a real meaningful and fulfilling life off the net, then that to me is a major problem.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by pendo89(f): 5:21pm On Jun 30, 2012
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by emofine2(f): 5:52pm On Jun 30, 2012
Sometimes in real life we are guilty of repelling against another even through no fault of the individual(s) in question....we may not like another person even for doing right...

Then here some people meet online...the people one may have otherwise disliked or ignored offline or may have never given a chance may be the ones to hold such people’s interest....I guess sometimes when there is a veil of anonymity we are all for that limited existence on a balanced podium (no one is above another and no one is below another) until we talk...
And it’s true some of the vibrant characters online may be timid offline and vice versa...and it is true that some people indeed tailor their personality to appear more popular or even unpopular...but for the fact that there are some people online that we may have never had the chance to speak to or even wanted to have shared conversation with due to some personal bias or even witness their thoughts as a spectator...for those instances is it thus understandable (excluding caution for now) that romances occur at such a rate online?

But can one have genuine chemistry online and even if it may appear so will that necessarily translate offline?

And should that in which we call “love” have a barrier?

Finally, do some people look down on the online romance?
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by emofine2(f): 5:56pm On Jun 30, 2012
I appreciate your insightful comments Pendo and that point you made about daring was rather interesting...

“but online relationship if not followed up with offline is a waste of emotional energy” - very valid point.

Many are moved by words.

You are correct but then again that is all or largely what we have to go by online – at least in the initial stage.

So Pendo, would you say that those who usually fall for words as opposed to actions are more likely to find "love" online?

And even if one does try and prove their selves online wouldn't that be seen as character flaunting?
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by shymex(m): 6:15pm On Jun 30, 2012
Erm.. Interesting read. grin
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by pendo89(f): 6:21pm On Jun 30, 2012
emöfine2: I appreciate your insightful comments Pendo and that point you made about daring was rather interesting...

“but online relationship if not followed up with offline is a waste of emotional energy” - very valid point.

You are correct but then again that is all or largely what we have to go by online – at least in the initial stage.

So Pendo, would you say that those who usually fall for words as opposed to actions are more likely to find "love" online?

And even if one does try and prove their selves online wouldn't that be seen as character flaunting?

I asked a married person why he was teasing me and he said he was trying to be daring! undecided whatever he meant. He likes trying risky unreal things.
Reason I doubt that people seeking love online are single .Most are in serious offline relationships.I think they prefer something exciting, out of the ordinary,something they can't get but still want to explore. What do u call that if not waste of energy.Primitive energy actually.

I bolded the online because there's absolutely nothing physical in online chat.So true that,people who fall for words are likely to fall in love online.
Very fast infact if they find the man who has mastered the art of online seduction. Words seduce and charm but what is the point of sweet nothings if not followed by action? It's a waste of dictionary language,time and energy really.I find it very tiring because I have tried it even when I knew it wasn't leading anywhere.
Have you ever interacted with a dumb person offline? It's very easy to understand and love them without them having to utter any word.
That's how powerful physical interaction is. I wanna see how you eat,how you walk,how you treat a lady,how you interact with people around you,how you spend,what you spend it on,how you react to pressure from around you etc etc.
Now those attributes you are not going to find online.

Now this is a new one emofine> 'online character flaunting' grin (I love the way u choose words)
I believe people do so for various reasons.Top most being 'trying to impress'. The only sad thing is, the people you are working hard to impress care less.
They may benefit from what you say but it ends online.You can go back to your misery after everybody has gone to sleep! grin
That is why I say it's better to be productive offline than online cz that is what you feed on and it makes you happy.
Let what you do online be an extension of your offline line.something like that.

1 Like

Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jun 30, 2012
london2lasgidi: are you in love with an online character? lmao........................ you must be really not good looking to fall in love online lmao...

. She dey in love wit me
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by pendo89(f): 6:59pm On Jun 30, 2012
emöfine2: Sometimes in real life we are guilty of repelling against another even through no fault of the individual(s) in question....we may not like another person even for doing right...

Then here some people meet online...the people one may have otherwise disliked or ignored offline or may have never given a chance may be the ones to hold such people’s interest....I guess sometimes when there is a veil of anonymity we are all for that limited existence on a balanced podium (no one is above another and no one is below another) until we talk...
That's why I love forums because they give all an equal platform without having to gauge them by their physical looks.
They give voice to the voiceless or looked down upon by the society.
They also silence the noisy.That way everybody is helped.

And it’s true some of the vibrant characters online may be timid offline and vice versa...and it is true that some people indeed tailor their personality to appear more popular or even unpopular...but for the fact that there are some people online that we may have never had the chance to speak to or even wanted to have shared conversation with due to some personal bias or even witness their thoughts as a spectator...for those instances is it thus understandable (excluding caution for now) that romances occur at such a rate online?

Yeah I would say so. This is what emofine.
Some love seeking characters online are on a revenge mission while others are truly desperate.Hurt by the world sorrounding them,hurt by the people they interact with daily.They want to explore the unknown world.They dare to give it a try.Now these type care less about the outcome.
Caution lies with the person being sought not the seeker.
There is that other category that we may admire because of their online personalities.We assume their online character is equal to off.
I don't think its difficult to tell cz patience and cover wears off in the long run and the true person comes out.
In that case, I will stick to what I said which is, people who are moved by words are likely to fall in love FAST with such people before knowing their true character.

But can one have genuine chemistry online and even if it may appear so will that necessarily translate offline?
Depends on what they seek,their motives and determination really. Like I said,caution must be exercised when dealing with people online.
Not all are fakes.Some truly deserve a chance.But work hard on moving it to the next level.If not,then don't start it because you waste so much time which should have been spent pursuing a meaningful relationship.
Before it gets intense make sure there's possibility of meeting each other.

And should that in which we call “love” have a barrier?

Why should real love have a barrier? I believe that real love can cross any.The Romeo and Juliet kind? That is what,so it's shallow to judge the depth of one's love online. You wanna test online love? suggest it goes off.
The only barrier can be distance so work hard at bridging it.

Finally, do some people look down on the online romance?
Why do those seeking online look down on offline romance?
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jun 30, 2012
sweetcocoa: Come emofine,why are you blowing too much grammar this hot afternoon? This matter is supposed to be simple but your english is make am hard now.undecided
why dU u always sound like market woman?gramma no dey always smooth 4 ur mouth
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by emofine2(f): 7:25pm On Jun 30, 2012
pendo89: I asked a married person why he was teasing me and he said he was trying to be daring! undecided whatever he meant. He likes trying risky unreal things.
Reason I doubt that people seeking love online are single .Most are in serious offline relationships.I think they prefer something exciting, out of the ordinary,something they can't get but still want to explore. What do u call that if not waste of energy.Primitive energy actually.

I recognize that people can transfer their cheating habits online...so what about something much more sincere?

However I understand the point you’ve highlighted.

“primitive energy”...now that Pendo is certainly a new and fascinating term grin

Now this is a new one emofine> 'online character flaunting' grin (I love the way u choose words)

Merci but remember Pendo na u talk say mek we no fall for words anyhow online o tongue

All your points are humorous and very valid...

lefulefu: . She dey in love wit me

Offline nko?
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by freecocoa(f): 7:27pm On Jun 30, 2012
lefulefu: why dU u always sound like market woman?gramma no dey always smooth 4 ur mouth
See this truck pusher dey follow talk.

Swear say you understand one sentence wey she write there. Anu.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by KMLawal: 7:27pm On Jun 30, 2012
cryNo at all.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by Ramcie(f): 7:28pm On Jun 30, 2012
Definitely. I Hv fallen in Luv online a million and one time. But my real luv wasn't found online .
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by Orikinla(m): 7:42pm On Jun 30, 2012
No one can truly fall fast or faster in love, except in lust.
And only a fool will fall in love on line.
What most people do is fall in lust and not in love.

Differentiate lust from love.

SIGNS OF LUST

You're totally focused on a person's looks and body.
You're interested in having sex, but not in having conversations.
You'd rather keep the relationship on a fantasy level, not discuss real feelings.
You want to leave soon after sex rather than cuddling or breakfast the next morning.
You are lovers, but not friends.

SIGNS OF LOVE

You want to spend quality time together other than sex.
You get lost in conversations and forget about the hours passing.
You want to honestly listen to each other's feelings, make each other happy.
He or she motivates you to be a better person.
You want to get to meet his or her family and friends.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/emotional-freedom/201108/lust-vs-love-do-you-know-the-difference

Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jun 30, 2012
@OP
how many times have you heard people online say that they are smelly, unclean, arrogant or even rude? most people online only talk and push forward their good side........so no wonder many people online might fall quicker in love than people in real life (who would judge the person for who they truly are).

also, although a person's character is what should be important, it is the whole person that should be judged.......it doesnt matter if someone has all the right attributes, if there is nothing behind to back that up.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jun 30, 2012
I didnt have to read all. My story is short. I met a girl on BB, checked her facebook, before i knew it, I invitedd her over to Lekki....to cut the long story short, I was madly in love, but then again, 400k spent on her in just a weekend. I ran.....internet love.....is lightening speed. Speed of light!
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jun 30, 2012
I think the key here, is that there has to be a certain physical chemistry between 2 people that can only truly be determined by real life meeting.No amount of online "chemistry" will express that. Sometimes people are lucky and they hit the jackpot because they happen to have both.IMO

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

LADIES: What Do You Think Of Guys That Self Service? / t / Guy Makes A Video Of A Ladies Irritating Virgina (very Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.