Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,494 members, 7,801,279 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (364) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1774222 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) ... (694) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 3:57am On Apr 19, 2015
tranxo:
but work is currently ongoing there na.

Yes, but not with the "Sullivan" speed grin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by tranxo(m): 6:12am On Apr 19, 2015
spyder880:

Yes, but not with the "Sullivan" speed grin
Lol...Remember it stalled for a while before resuming again.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by tranxo(m): 6:14am On Apr 19, 2015
mensdept:
As I'm looking at these pics, I can't see anything world class yet?

Of course, there is improvements, but still leagues away from anything grand and modern
Come to Enugu and you will see them. We won't post the pictures just because you are not convinced.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 9:10am On Apr 19, 2015
Pictures loading in 4,3,2.....
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 9:13am On Apr 19, 2015
Let's start with the "Largest Library In West Africa" cool

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 9:18am On Apr 19, 2015
The Library has a 24hrs wireless internet connection.... Courtesy of MTN

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 9:20am On Apr 19, 2015
Let us go to Abuja building

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 9:22am On Apr 19, 2015
The most beautiful boulevard in the Nsukka campus.... Just breath taking....

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 9:25am On Apr 19, 2015
Random Pics

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 9:26am On Apr 19, 2015
I'll be back cool

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 9:31am On Apr 19, 2015
tranxo:
Lol...Remember it stalled for a while before resuming again.

^^^I guess this may be one of the reasons Enugu gov't wanted to take a loan....but the house of assembly reckon the in-coming administration should sort all that out!

Enugu doesn't have the kind of money states like Akwa Ibom, Rivers or Bayelsa have, so i can understand why big-budget projects like this stall from time to time!

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 9:39am On Apr 19, 2015
Nnewi1stSon:
I'll be back cool

^^^Nice effort Schwarzenegger!

I can see Abuja! What's the name of that tree-lined street again?......I didn't recognize the buildings! undecided
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:07am On Apr 19, 2015
AnambraDota:
I don't consider cities like PHC and Ibadan big considering the nature of their buildings.

Port Harcourt is littered with bungalows, you rarely see high rise residential layouts with high concentration of blocks of flat like you can see in most SE cities. If you visit places like Nkpor, Awada, Obosi, Woliwo and Fegge you will know why Onitsha is yet to met Awka and Nnewi.

Buildings in Cities in Igboland are built vertically to save land and increase economic potential while others waste lands with bungalows and face-me-i-face-you buildings.

Below is a glance of Awada layout Onitsha look like

That's why I said initially, that both cities have a completely different layout. I haven't been able to find layout like Achara layout in PH. I am not entirely sure, but I think there no Zoning of building pattern in PH like we have it Enugu. Independence layout, GRA, trans enugu, are basically for bungalows or duplexes, while Achara layout, Abakpa, Uwani are for high rising block houses. However, I think the skyline of PH is gradually changing. Only a radical measure by state government can decongest PH and spread out Development, and reduce the heavy pressure on public facilities.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:11am On Apr 19, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/2264608/lets-trash-out-possibility-igbo

PLEASE VISIT IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN ADVOCATING FOR AN IGBO LANGUAGE SECTION

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 11:16am On Apr 19, 2015
centje:
That's why I said initially, that both cities have a completely different layout. I haven't been able to find layout like Achara layout in PH. I am not entirely sure, but I think there no Zoning of building pattern in PH like we have it Enugu. Independence layout, GRA, trans enugu, are basically for bungalows or duplexes, while Achara layout, Abakpa, Uwani are for high rising block houses. However, I think the skyline of PH is gradually changing. Only a radical measure by state government can decongest PH and spread out Development, and reduce the heavy pressure on public facilities.

^^^D-Line and Borikiri/Town area of Port Harcourt have high-density buildings as well! Not as much as you see in Enugu or Onitsha i admit.....but almost!

I've noticed the place you find all those space-wasting old bungalows are mainly on land owned by the indigenous Ikwerre! I think quite a number of these old buildings are subjects of litigation by the family members (children or grandchildren) of the original owners; this is not peculiar to Port Harcourt alone as you find the same situation with these same old 60s and 70s buildings in cities like Onitsha, Aba and to a lesser extent Enugu! Generally, Nigerian cities with a history normally face this issue!

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 11:39am On Apr 19, 2015
Music interlude!

Mazi Chukz: One in a million smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8lshy8nf3g

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Handsomegod(m): 12:22pm On Apr 19, 2015
quote author=Nnewi1stSon post=32877516]Let's start with the "Largest Library In West Africa" cool[/quote] Nwoke Anedo ! Sure man! Pic 12+13 should be the boulevard that started from PG building(Ejikeme Ilodibe complex) and terminated at freedom square. You can do better by capturing all the buildings at each side of the drive way ie G.S building, Econs dept,New Arts theatre, Exams and records,Personnel dept,Faculty of social sciences new lecture Hall,etc.Tell me that pic 14 was the road that led to Ekpo ref (Convoc Arena) from the freedom square and please when did they courdoned off the freedom square to create such a lush spectacle? Impressive! Kindly supply me pic of Slessor Hall. My wife lived there for 3 years! I can also see that the cleaning and physical planning dept in the school is doing a great job? I heard both 11:45 and Osmonds have been demolished? Wtf! Those joints were our live wires then! *oringo thinz** Is Akiota works Nig ltd still in charge of cleaning and manitenance in the Den? #good ol dayz# please keep them coming!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 1:29pm On Apr 19, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/2264608/lets-trash-out-possibility-igbo

Please visit if you are interested in advocating for an Igbo Language section
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by christejames(m): 2:01pm On Apr 19, 2015
Beautiful and breathtaking pictures of the den. I really commend your effort @nnewi1stson, I would have loved to meet you but unfortunately I'm not yet in school (as you can see the environment is still in dearth of its buzz due to the absent of students), would be returning this week though. UNN has really been transformed right from Prof Nebo's tenure to date. Each faculty now wearing new look with beautiful edifice springing up. The departments also are not left out with every class having soothing desk for students with Hitech starboard installed in each. The faculty of social sciences seem to be the one enjoying much of these breeze of change (LOL!!) with almost every departments now having its large building coupled with a brand new faculty of social sciences phase II still under construction beside St. Peter's chaplaincy. Of recent the current VC has connected the whole school with wireless internet facility (powered by Tenace) but the encryption of the service is making boring for some of us. The number of students per room for boys has been reduced to 5 (heard it would have been 4) but boys still be boys na ...and to the other super lion, the company incharge of the school's cleaning and maintenance is 'total facility management' and not Akiota which is the school's construction company (not owned by the school). I hope Ifeanyi Uba would just channel his money into completion of the school's database building still uncompleted beside the library which he started instead of sponsoring our ungrateful politician (...that would even earn him an ad infinitio legacy).

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 2:41pm On Apr 19, 2015
AnambraDota:
I don't consider cities like PHC and Ibadan big considering the nature of their buildings.

Port Harcourt is littered with bungalows, you rarely see high rise residential layouts with high concentration of blocks of flat like you can see in most SE cities. If you visit places like Nkpor, Awada, Obosi, Woliwo and Fegge you will know why Onitsha is yet to met Awka and Nnewi.

Buildings in Cities in Igboland are built vertically to save land and increase economic potential while others waste lands with bungalows and face-me-i-face-you buildings.

Below is a glance of Awada layout Onitsha look like

I love how we save land in the SE by building upwards. My only concern is that we have little consideration for the cars those tenant would definitely have. Cairo Egypt houses more than 50% of Egypt's population and they did it by building exactly these types of buildings in Onitsha. Beirut, Lebanon is another good example of a city filled with 4-5 storey buildings. But, they always make sure the size of plot is bigger to accommodate the needs of 10 to 15 families living in each building. They planned the layouts better to accommodate cars and other requirements for space. Our government abandoned the planning to landlords and traders who have little land surveying skills.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Handsomegod(m): 2:45pm On Apr 19, 2015
christejames:
Beautiful and breathtaking pictures of the den. I really commend your effort @nnewi1stson, I would have loved to meet you but unfortunately I'm not yet in school (as you can see the environment is still in dearth of its buzz due to the absent of students), would be returning this week though. UNN has really been transformed right from Prof Nebo's tenure to date. Each faculty now wearing new look with beautiful edifice springing up. The departments also are not left out with every class having soothing desk for students with Hitech starboard installed in each. The faculty of social sciences seem to be the one enjoying much of these breeze of change (LOL!!) with almost every departments now having its large building coupled with a brand new faculty of social sciences phase II still under construction beside St. Peter's chaplaincy. Of recent the current VC has connected the whole school with wireless internet facility (powered by Tenace) but the encryption of the service is making boring for some of us. The number of students per room for boys has been reduced to 5 (heard it would have been 4) but boys still be boys na ...and to the other super lion, the company incharge of the school's cleaning and maintenance is 'total facility management' and not Akiota which is the school's construction company (not owned by the school). I hope Ifeanyi Uba would just channel his money into completion of the school's database building still uncompleted beside the library which he started instead of sponsoring our ungrateful politician (...that would even earn him an ad infinitio legacy).
Good to know that good things are happening in my alama mata at such breathtaking pace. All the transformations you reeled out seemed so strange when I recall what it was like in our time. The new VC should run with the vision without looking back.Expositions like this also make me wonder the criteria for university ranking being churned out yearly by the Lagos/Ibadan media elements! @Christjames and Nnewi1st son,which departments anf levels are u? Do u know if Dr Charles Chukwudozie alias "Akionu" is still a lecturer in G.S Humanities section? I recal another comic lecturer in political science called "Anu nkanka mpi"(Animal with jagged horns)...Is he still there too? Please show me faculty of Engineering especially Termac 2-5(Agbebi block). May God bless ur cameras as u do so..
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by christejames(m): 4:47pm On Apr 19, 2015
Handsomegod:
Good to know that good things are happening in my alama mata at such breathtaking pace. All the transformations you reeled out seemed so strange when I recall what it was like in our time. The new VC should run with the vision without looking back.Expositions like this also make me wonder the criteria for university ranking being churned out yearly by the Lagos/Ibadan media elements! @Christjames and Nnewi1st son,which departments anf levels are u? Do u know if Dr Charles Chukwudozie alias "Akionu" is still a lecturer in G.S Humanities section? I recal another comic lecturer in political science called "Anu nkanka mpi"(Animal with jagged horns)...Is he still there too? Please show me faculty of Engineering especially Termac 2-5(Agbebi block). May God bless ur cameras as u do so..
hehehe... Akionu is still hale and hearty ooo likewise Anunkana (although Anunkanka seems not be teaching in GS again, He is still as funny as ever). I'm in my penultimate year now (geography).
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 8:24pm On Apr 19, 2015
GS building

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Handsomegod(m): 9:47pm On Apr 19, 2015
Nnewi1stSon:
GS building
Nice transformation of GS building. However,me thinks mixing the paint colour of the building would have made it more alluring. I recalled it was formerly painted in green and white which happen to be UNN traditional colours.That building and the knowledge acquired there have an undeateble position in Nigerian university history forever.
By the way, that sculpture bearing a pride of lions walking round the flame of knowledge is epic. Whoever conceived it nailed it! I dare say,still,that planting multicolored shrub flowers round that edifice,and of course designing it with lights will be a wonder. The physical planning unit here should think outside the box! All the same,nice ones here.
@Nnewi1st son God bless ur onyoko meter! Meanwhile,my name na "Oliver Twist" o! #more!!!#
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 2:42pm On Apr 20, 2015

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 2:51pm On Apr 20, 2015
Pharmacy complex

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 2:58pm On Apr 20, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 3:03pm On Apr 20, 2015
The pics won't upload and the network isn't funny
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 6:47pm On Apr 20, 2015
Nnewi1stSon, nice effort on your part! Sometimes the annoying website just prevents uploading for no particular reason, and shows an annoying error message! Just leave it and try again later!

Are they still working on that nice looking building under construction or has work stalled on it?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 6:53pm On Apr 20, 2015
IGBOSON1:
Nnewi1stSon, nice effort on your part! Sometimes the annoying website just prevents uploading for no particular reason, and shows an annoying error message! Just leave it and try again later!

Are they still working on that nice looking building under construction or has work stalled on it?
The story behind that building is disappointing..... however I cannot tell you (Because I do not wish to become a "Premature Graduate" grin) Well "Someone" embezzled the money meant for the building... well the good news is the new VC has re started work on the building. cool
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by passion007: 9:20pm On Apr 20, 2015
Nice job, Nnewi1stson.
You have sidelined those of us who spent our time at Akpabio/Akintola halls, but okay. We always did have a running battle with the guys over at Franco. Heh heh heh.
For several days, I've been trying to recall whose memorial tombstone is in front of Akpabio, Tony Ubesie's or Pita Nwana's? This seems like a good forum to bring it up.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Handsomegod(m): 9:21pm On Apr 20, 2015
Nnewi1stSon:
Nwoke Anedo! U means this is Jimbazz? Are those interlocking tiles on the same floor I used to know would be waterlogged or dusty depending on the weather? God bless whoever is championing the transformation of UNN structures! And I also saw the rails were stainless steel of the best quality! I guess you took the Jimbaz pics from the Geology dept end of the block.
Glad to know that the new VC took on the new Pharmacy block. It is high time he revive the anti-corruption committee instituted and empowered during Nebo's regime to checkmate the hawks and ndi ife oma na asa afo in his regime.I recalled many lecturers in my faculty were axed for various acts of gross misconduct then. Meanwhile,that pharmacy complex look lovely. Please don't falter in uploading more pics for us here. You are yet to tell me ur dept+level. Chukwu gozie gi!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) ... (694) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.