Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,490 members, 7,781,470 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:57 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (87) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1765447 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (693) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 5:01pm On Dec 27, 2012
ak47mann: NNA BOKO WAN BOMB ENUGU AIRPORTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 5:14pm On Dec 27, 2012
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Dec 27, 2012
Thank God that d plot has been foiled.
'egbe' can also mean gun.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 5:25pm On Dec 27, 2012
CFCfan:
'egbe' can also mean gun.
But, it's pronounced differently.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 5:55pm On Dec 27, 2012
afam4eva:
But, it's pronounced differently.
Eziokwu. (true)
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by passion007: 8:21pm On Dec 27, 2012
Spyder, gini bu chekeleke n'olu bekee?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 8:41pm On Dec 27, 2012
passion007: Spyder, gini bu chekeleke n'olu bekee?

Chekeleke is what some Igbo dialects call Ugbana or Ugbala. The English will call it the swan.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 8:48pm On Dec 27, 2012
passion007: Spyder, gini bu chekeleke n'olu bekee?
Flamingo

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 8:56pm On Dec 27, 2012
afam4eva:
lol grin

The truth is that i don't even know the difference between an eagle and a kite

The eagle is a very beautiful bird, bigger, more flambouyant and by far the king of all birds. That is why the Igbo will say "Anya huru ugo jaa ya mma, n' ihi na anaghi ahu ugo daa"

The kite (egbe) is a common predatory bird that is more notorious for swooping and stealing domestic fowls in surprising raids. Every village compound despises the kite for stealing our domestic fowls, it seems to come from nowhere and most times flies away with chickens which it devours on top of tall trees.

The hawk is also a predatory bird much feared than the kite. Hawks have been known to steal adult fowls while the kite steals chicks. The strenght of the hawk lies in its lightening speed. But the hawk is smaller than the kite in size, an irony!

The vulture (udene) is not know to prey on living animals, the vulture feeds on rotting flesh of every animal. From rodents to dead humans. The vulture will wait till an animal is dead before it will come and feast on it. No wonder the proverb "The vulture is a patient bird"
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 8:58pm On Dec 27, 2012
spyder880:

Chekeleke is what some Igbo dialects call Ugbana or Ugbala. The English will call it the swan.
afam4eva:
Flamingo

^^^Nah, i don't think it's either of those you guys mentioned as both those birds have long necks (that of flamingoes i remember from the book 'Alice in wonderland').

Still trying to think of the english name though. undecided
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 9:31pm On Dec 27, 2012
In my village somewhere in Enugu state, fowls and goats roam free, and I am working my behind off just to buy frozen chicken at Shoprite? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 9:36pm On Dec 27, 2012
Mch, if they catch you holding one of those "free roaming" animals, eh!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 9:39pm On Dec 27, 2012
ezeagu: Mch, if they catch you holding one of those "free roaming" animals, eh!

Na my old aunt get am o, and she can give me all if I ever ask.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 10:06pm On Dec 27, 2012
spyder880:

PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Nah, i don't think it's either of those you guys mentioned as both those birds have long necks (that of flamingoes i remember from the book 'Alice in wonderland').

Still trying to think of the english name though. undecided
spyder880:

Chai una don fall my hand.
Chekeleke is neither flamingo nor swan but a specie of cattle egret.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 7:47am On Dec 28, 2012
he he hei! Nna enh Amu atowugom u guys have turned this thread to an Igbo learning class
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by passion007: 8:44am On Dec 28, 2012
eaglechild:
Chai una don fall my hand.
Chekeleke is neither flamingo nor swan but a specie of cattle egret.
Nnem si na I ma akwukwo! Egret is correct.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by omicron(m): 8:55am On Dec 28, 2012
INNO18: he he hei! Nna enh Amu atowugom u guys have turned this thread to an Igbo learning class
Lol! All is well still. The language is part of the 'pride' of the Igboland. Asusu Igbo amaka! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by omicron(m): 9:08am On Dec 28, 2012
spyder880: In my village somewhere in Enugu state, fowls and goats roam free, and I am working my behind off just to buy frozen chicken at Shoprite? grin grin grin
Spyder880, Centje and others in the village, I thought you guys should have been posting some 'village pictures' so that we can see how the celebrations went on in your villages, as well pictures of developments (or otherwise) of your places and areas leading to your places. At least, we would have got some interesting diversion from Enugu City, until we return and continue from where we stopped.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 1:29pm On Dec 28, 2012
There's been a lull in upload of pics. If you guys could give me the go ahead i'd upload pics of Sokoto i have on my Phone till spyder updates his gallery.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:49pm On Dec 28, 2012
INNO18: There's been a lull in upload of pics. If you guys could give me the go ahead i'd upload pics of Sokoto i have on my Phone till spyder updates his gallery.

^^^Maybe you could create a seperate/new thread for that, and hopefully others living in Sokoto would contribute; don't know why we don't have threads of any state/city in the north besides Abuja?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:31pm On Dec 28, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Maybe you could create a seperate/new thread for that, and hopefully others living in Sokoto would contribute; don't know why we don't have threads of any state/city in the north besides Abuja?
Ok SIR
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:22pm On Dec 28, 2012
UNEC:

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:23pm On Dec 28, 2012
Housing Estate in Enugu:

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 10:25pm On Dec 28, 2012
Nice estate.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:48pm On Dec 28, 2012
Old gov't house, GRA Enugu; this was b/4 M.I Opkara built the new one at independence layout.

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:49pm On Dec 28, 2012
New gov't house, independence layout Enugu:
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:52pm On Dec 28, 2012
Pic:

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:53pm On Dec 28, 2012
Don't know why the pic of the new gov't house isn't showing; but we all know what it looks like i suppose, so no wahala.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:03pm On Dec 28, 2012
@omicron
I wanted to o! But somehow i got immersed in fun here. Will see what i can come up with...

Chekeleke is a white fragile bird. Very white and fragile that it can't dig up soil to feed, so it usually follows cow. It's the same bird found on setraco construction company logo. I don't really know the english name.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:31pm On Dec 28, 2012
The pictures of chekeleke. It's english name is cattle egret. Maybe it got its name from its close association with cattle,which it depends on to feed.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ak47mann(m): 11:34pm On Dec 28, 2012
NAWAOOO,IF proudly igbo no mention UNEC i was thinking that was an area in CANADA shocked shocked
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:51pm On Dec 28, 2012
ak47mann: NAWAOOO,IF proudly igbo no mention UNEC i was thinking that was an area in CANADA shocked shocked
Yeah, the campus looks beautiful!

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (693) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.