Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:43 AM

Imo State And The Hand Of Midas - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo State And The Hand Of Midas (8936 Views)

Breaking News: Hand Of God Appears In The Sky In The USA [see Photos] / Ambode Extends Hand Of Partnership To Agbaje, Others / Buhari Extends Hand Of Fellowship To Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by Abagworo(m): 4:55pm On Jul 03, 2012
All I have to say is that I'm impressed. Imo State is developing at an unprecedented rate under this great son of ours. The high education level of Imolites has finally paid off as we fought to defend our votes and elect the candidate of our choice. No other State in any region apart from Southwest has elected a candidate of their choice since 1999.Imo broke a record and it is paying off. I have read here on Nairaland where people challenged Rochas that Imo is not only Owerri and falsely claimed that Owerri is the only urban in Imo.

I visited Orlu and behold it is a large metropolis. Even bigger than Owerri covering several LGAs from Njaba,Orlu,Nkwerre,Orsu,Nwangele and Ideato. There has been a population increase and all these places are joined with no space. The only way you can tell you are in another LGA is sign post. The roads are generally lacking attention but the man with a Midas touch has come to transform this city and I'm a witness.

My Fears

I'm sorry but when I compare the allocation of Imo State with States like Akwa-Ibom and Rivers I can't help but suspect that Rochas could be in a borrowing spree. I pray my suspicion is false.
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by Abagworo(m): 6:00pm On Jul 03, 2012
Pictures
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by Abagworo(m): 6:01pm On Jul 03, 2012
Pictures

Heard the demolished 2storey building belonged to Rochas.

Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by Abagworo(m): 6:17pm On Jul 03, 2012
it takes those who knew this town 2 years back to appreciate the changes.

Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by Abagworo(m): 6:21pm On Jul 03, 2012
More

Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by abagoro(m): 6:35pm On Jul 03, 2012
More

Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by Afam4eva(m): 6:35pm On Jul 03, 2012
I hope to see it when it's completed.
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by abagoro(m): 6:37pm On Jul 03, 2012
At least 5 major roads are being expanded and dualised. Some with open drainage and others underground.
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by Abagworo(m): 6:47pm On Jul 03, 2012
afam4eva: I hope to see it when it's completed.

With the way things are going, I believe this administration is serious about change. This is just in a year. Rivers and Akwa-Ibom have been under construction for 5 years! and construction works are still ongoing. No doubt Imolites are suffering because of the inconveniences caused by the road constructions. I also heard that tap water has been test run in Orlu urban too. I heard as well that Mbaise and Okigwe are being urbanized like Orlu but I did not drive to those places. Owerri is now extremely improved too .
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by PROUDIGBO(m): 7:35pm On Jul 03, 2012
The Governor is trying. I know the situation he's presently facing concerning paucity of funds, competing demands for available funds, and heavy debt left behind by his predecessor.

There should be no compromise on the quality of work done on those roads: proper drainage, street/traffic lights, sidewalks, and adequate thickness/depth that meet minimum standards so we don't have to go back to redo the work after one or two rainy seasons.

So any pictures of completed roadworks? Or any other completed project (i hear he has completed a project in the gov't house)?

Thanks for the updates.
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by PROUDIGBO(m): 7:39pm On Jul 03, 2012
And he needs to either invest in mechanical road sweepers, or employ people to do it. All that dust/dirt by the road sides doesn't look nice and is very annoying; it gives the city an unkempt look. If Enugu and Uyo roads can look clean, i don't see why Owerri can't do likewise.
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by FACE(m): 8:01pm On Jul 03, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
And he needs to either invest in mechanical road sweepers, or employ people to do it. All that dust/dirt by the road sides doesn't look nice and is very annoying; it gives the city an unkempt look. If Enugu and Uyo roads can look clean, i don't see why Owerri can't do likewise.

Those pictures are from Orlu.Okigwe is also receiving similar attention with some roads being expanded and dualised as well. Owerri is very clean and he is creating more roads in owerri as well.Imo state is on total overhaul.
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by PROUDIGBO(m): 8:32pm On Jul 03, 2012
FACE:

Those pictures are from Orlu.Okigwe is also receiving similar attention with some roads being expanded and dualised as well. Owerri is very clean and he is creating more roads in owerri as well.Imo state is on total overhaul.

^^^Oh! I even thought that was Owerri. Nice one.

Abagworo, please label the pics like Spyder did in his own thread on Enugu.

Cheers.
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jul 03, 2012
rochas will transform imo state within 4 years
the man is a miracle
however he still need to sack some of his aids who are demanding bribes to do their jobs
one guy in his employ retorted "will i not chop my own?"
i was shocked that someone in rochas government can say that
he need to fire all idiots like that.
we continue to support you rochas!
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by Abagworo(m): 8:40pm On Jul 03, 2012
FACE:

If what I saw was only Owerri, I wouldn't be impressed to this level. I always considered Orlu a road side town but what I saw surprised me.I really need to visit Okigwe.

Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by Abagworo(m): 8:46pm On Jul 03, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
The Governor is trying. I know the situation he's presently facing concerning paucity of funds, competing demands for available funds, and heavy debt left behind by his predecessor.

There should be no compromise on the quality of work done on those roads: proper drainage, street/traffic lights, sidewalks, and adequate thickness/depth that meet minimum standards so we don't have to go back to redo the work after one or two rainy seasons.

So any pictures of completed roadworks? Or any other completed project (i hear he has completed a project in the gov't house)?

Thanks for the updates.

Sadly I believe the quality of roads being done in Imo are not up to standard. Even Akwa-Ibom. Rivers State is the only state I have seen roads constructed beyond required Nigerian standards. Only sharp sand is used and laterite is dug off the road to about 2 meters and filled with white sand. It is further cast with concrete and iron nets before two solid layers of asphalting. The roads in Imo and Akwa-Ibom are being done with laterite and stone dust.
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by FACE(m): 9:31pm On Jul 03, 2012
Abagworo:

If what I saw was only Owerri, I wouldn't be impressed to this level. I always considered Orlu a road side town but what I saw surprised me.I really need to visit Okigwe.

Is that Orlu as well ? I have truly under estimated the level of works in that town.

P.S
Soil texture/stability will determine the level of reinforcement applied in road construction.
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by Abagworo(m): 9:34pm On Jul 03, 2012
As for Owerri I was impressed with the quality of housing and green vegetation. I think it could beat Calabar. I mean the amazingly fast developing Owerri.

Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by FACE(m): 12:21pm On Jul 04, 2012
Abagworo, have you got other pixs of Orlu ?
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by presido1: 6:34pm On Jul 04, 2012
All these roads are under 5 months. The demolition started late january b4 i left Orlu, i presume the road construction proper started like late feb or march. As for state water, we use to have it every saturday during Mbakwe era till the early 90s so what he need to do now is just to relay the pipes and the water will be as b4, everywkend will be ok for now. Will be in Nigeria b4 month end, definitely gonna add more pictures when i come back.
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by norabenok: 8:58am On Jul 15, 2012
Abagworo,
Stumbled upon your beautiful posting a while ago. I must commend your skills in photography. I saw more of those great jobs of Owelle Rochas in Imo state a short while ago.
Wish he can make Orlu set the pace for underground drainage instead of open drainages that breed mosquitoes and dirt. Someone here talked about the roads in Orlu joining many LGAs, and thus making the town very large. Fact is that during the early 1970s, Orlu local authorities opened up so many roads in Orlu. Some of the roads extend to other LGAs. Amadi Ikwechegh-led government in Imo state awarded contract to an Israeli company to drain and asphalt those roads. As soon as Ikwechegh was recalled, construction mysteriously stopped. If half of those Orlu urban roads are asphalted today, more so, now that the population of Orlu has increased many fold, Orlu must be larger than Owerri. Thanks for your posting. More of that.
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by spyder880(m): 10:37am On Jul 15, 2012
I will help you guys, we must showcase the beauty of Alaigbo. I will be adding some pictures of Owerri and the jobs done by Rochas in this thread later today. Lets celebrate good things so that we shall get more good things. Igbo kwenu!

1 Like

Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by achi4u(m): 11:18am On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880: I will help you guys, we must showcase the beauty of Alaigbo. I will be adding some pictures of Owerri and the jobs done by Rochas in this thread later today. Lets celebrate good things so that we shall get more good things. Igbo kwenu!
thank u Oga Spyder88.We're waiting Ocheesy
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by asha80(m): 3:09pm On Jul 15, 2012
abagworo when did you start becoming afraid of governments borrowing money?
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880: I will help you guys, we must showcase the beauty of Alaigbo. I will be adding some pictures of Owerri and the jobs done by Rochas in this thread later today. Lets celebrate good things so that we shall get more good things. Igbo kwenu!
am loving this pictures of on-going development in Imo state.lets keep them coming.hopefully this would challenge the people of abia and ebonyi states to try voting the right people into their govt houses and protect their votes.
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by macjive01: 7:21pm On Jul 15, 2012
still waiting......?
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 15, 2012
As they are building these roads they need to ensure they are including PEDESTRIAN SIDEWALKS.

The days of building road and expecting pedestrians to just walk along on the sand are OVER. Every road must come with SIDEWALKS.
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by bashr8: 9:41pm On Jul 15, 2012
Abagworo: All I have to say is that I'm impressed. Imo State is developing at an unprecedented rate under this great son of ours. The high education level of Imolites has finally paid off as we fought to defend our votes and elect the candidate of our choice. No other State in any region apart from Southwest has elected a candidate of their choice since 1999.Imo broke a record and it is paying off. I have read here on Nairaland where people challenged Rochas that Imo is not only Owerri and falsely claimed that Owerri is the only urban in Imo.

I visited Orlu and behold it is a large metropolis. Even bigger than Owerri covering several LGAs from Njaba,Orlu,Nkwerre,Orsu,Nwangele and Ideato. There has been a population increase and all these places are joined with no space. The only way you can tell you are in another LGA is sign post. The roads are generally lacking attention but the man with a Midas touch has come to transform this city and I'm a witness.

My Fears

I'm sorry but when I compare the allocation of Imo State with States like Akwa-Ibom and Rivers I can't help but suspect that Rochas could be in a borrowing spree. I pray my suspicion is false.

anambra people where the first to kick out dp and elect peter obi. remember imo people where lauging at us then but years later you did the same thing
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by Dainfamous: 10:32pm On Jul 15, 2012
SE is coming up quickly on infrastructure good roads networks and buildings some were build by wealthy individuals ..
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by ektbear: 3:33am On Jul 16, 2012
Can you post some pictures of Mbaise. I am curious about this town/region...I seem to know quite a few people from there.
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by spyder880(m): 5:25am On Jul 16, 2012
I am in a hurry so I will just copy and paste from my existing thread "Strong, beautiful and affordable homes" here on nairaland property section............

In my quest for more knowledge on how things could be done better and differently, I paid a visit to a building site in Owerri to see an alternative building technique very different from the way we build in naija.

I will just post the pictures and leave you guys to make the comments. Like I said before, this project is being executed by the Imo state government in Owerri but we should use the following pictures to learn a trick or two about how things could be done differently. In the end, we should look at many factors that could encourage or discourage the use of this "fix system" technique.

For me, I am ready to adopt and adapt to new technology, but what about these pressing questions;

Is it safe?
Is it convenient?
Is it affordable?
What about the environment?

Please enjoy the pictures cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Imo State And The Hand Of Midas by spyder880(m): 5:31am On Jul 16, 2012
foundation slab

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

”federal Allocation To Each State In April 2016” / Nigeria May Stop Borrowing To Fund Budget — Adeosun / Adebayo Shittu: I’m Not Ready To Allow My Defamers Smile By Resigning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.