Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,723 members, 7,802,179 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen (2994 Views)

Buhari Storms Onitsha For Talk With South-east Bizmen / Tension Mounts In Abuja Over Demolition Of 172 Houses Belonging To Igbo Bizmen / Anambra Bizmen Panic As Kidnappers Place N200m Ransom On Seized Oil Tycoon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by chuks49(m): 7:01am On Jul 04, 2012
Nigerian businessmenoperating in Ghana yesterday cried out to the Nigerian government to come to their rescue as Ghanaian authoritieshave commenced closing their shops for allegedly operating illegally.
The Nigerian traders said their shops were closed because they were said not to comply with the government policy which requires them to have an initial capital of $300,000 and employ 10 Ghanaians before they can start any business in Ghana regardless of the size of the business.
A market in Ghana
One of the affected Nigerians, Mr Ndukaku Mbanefo, who spoke to Vanguard on phone from Ghana said the Ghanaian authorities started closing shops belonging to Nigerians yesterday in Accra, the Ghanaian capital and vowed that the operation will be nationwide.
According to him, “the authorities in Ghana yesterday closed more than 40 shops belonging to Nigerians and they are still closing more. They closed our shops becausethey said we did not comply with the government policy that requires every foreigner who wants to start business in Ghana to have an initial capitalof $300, 000 and must employ 10 Ghanaians to work with himregardless of the size of the business. Even if it is just a small restaurant or a barber shop you must employ 10 Ghanaians and show evidence that you have $300,000 before you can start.
“There are nationals of other West African countries like Mali, Cote D’Ivoire, Niger, Cameroon who operate shops in Ghana like us but the Ghanaian authorities would nottouch them. They target only Nigerians and I don’t know why. In spite of all we do to boost their economy and contribute to raise their standard of living, they don’t care, they just hate Nigerians and discriminate against us”.
He explained that “some Nigerian traders had to run away and locked up their shops when they saw the Ghanaian law enforcement agents coming but when the law enforcement agents got to the shops, they would relock the shops with their security padlocks. Their plan was to give out these shops abandoned by Nigerian businessmen to the Ghanaians”.
He therefore appealed to the Nigerian government to intervene and protect their businesses saying Nigerians who operate businesses in Ghana are law abiding and hard working, arguing that “weshould be allowed to operate under the Ecowas trade treaty.
When the Foreign Affairs Ministry was contacted yesterday on the plight of Nigerian businessmen in Ghana, a source told Vanguardthat the Ministry is aware of it and that the Federal Government has stepped into the matter. He said the FederalGovernment has reached out to its Ghanaian counterpart and that those affected should not rush to the ECOWAS court as they have threatened.
Ghanaian authorities have been embarking on hostile business practices against Nigerians who are predominantly in real estate, textile and garments, electronics, banking and telecommunication and tourism. The Ghanaian government had imposed high tariff on Nigerian movies and restricted Nigerian actors from shooting films in Ghana. Nigeria’s telecommunication giant, Globacom was caught upwith the high cost of doing business which caused it to delay some crucial aspects of its operations last year. The presidential candidate of Labour Party Otunba Dele Momodu, said the attitude of Ghanaian government is a flagrant violation of the ECOWAS protocol and that the Nigerians who are doing business in Ghana hold the keyto Ghana’s economic revival. He said Nigeria must stand up to the maltreatment of Nigerian in Ghana because Nigeria has been too good to their West African neighbour.
Lagos state Government had said yesterday that Nigerians should stop empowering Ghanaians and other West Africa countries by taking businesses to those countries at the detriment of Nigeria. Sources said Ghanaians are very jittery about Nigerians especially those who are in real estate business who are buying out their Ghanaian counterparts. Nigeria supplies electricity to Ghana and under the Obasanjo administration Ghana got over One hundred million dollar loans from Nigeria.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/ghanaian-govt-chasing-us-out-lament-nigerian-bizmen/

Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by Yeske2(m): 9:06am On Jul 04, 2012
It's high time the FG made the Ghanaian certificate illegal in Nigeria and equally ban importation of Alomo bitters into Nigeria.
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by gidson12(m): 9:59am On Jul 04, 2012
Yeske!:
It's high time the FG made the Ghanaian certificate illegal in Nigeria and equally ban importation of Alomo bitters into Nigeria.
Alomo bitters, herbal medicines, shoes shinners, and their prostit.utes, that's what they import to us
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by londoner: 12:04pm On Jul 04, 2012
Look, just leave their country.....they do not want you there.

They will continue to harass until you leave. It is better to count your losses and leave with your head high, before you are chased out with just your clothing........ in shame.

What ever you are selling in Ghana, people also pay money for in Nigeria don't they?

My bf tried to get me to come to Ghana, I refused and stood fast to never go and live there. I kept telling him that they don't want Nigerians there.......it is not about what is fair, it is about what the truth is.

They don't want us there.......it is their country, Nigerians, just leave!!!!!!!
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by londoner: 12:07pm On Jul 04, 2012
Yeske!:

No, tit for tat reactions are not always the best. In fact, what we should be doing is enticing their brightest and best into Nigeria.

If you ban Ghanaian certs, we will be hurting ourselves, because a student from Nigeria who pays tuition money made from Nigeria in Ghana, gains a certificate, will simply decide not to come back to Nigeria.

The only ones to benefit would be the Ghanaian institution. What we MUST do is to build colleges and universities that compete with best Ghana has to offer, on all levels. The root of why Nigerian students are looking to Ghana needs to be tackled.

There are no quick fixes to most of the issues flagged up by the many Nigerians looking wanting to move to Ghana.
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jul 04, 2012
What are Nigerians doing in Ghana, anyway? grin

A Nigerian was arrested in Afghanistan last year - funny nomadic people. grin

Sit your black arse in your big for nothing country, and fix the shyte hole.

Very soon, Somalia is going to start deporting Nigerians as well. grin

Shameless people.
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by jmaine: 12:34pm On Jul 04, 2012
shymmex: What are Nigerians doing in Ghana, anyway? grin

A Nigerian was arrested in Afghanistan last year - funny nomadic people. grin

Sit your black arse in your big for nothing country, and fix the shyte hole.

Very soon, Somalia is going to start deporting Nigerians as well. grin

Shameless people.

[size=14pt]Are you currently in Nigeria . . . .Answers needed ASAP cool[/size]
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by Abrantie: 12:41pm On Jul 04, 2012

Nigeria 'frees Chinese traders'
------------------------------

Dozens of Chinese textile traders arrested in Nigeria and accused of "economic scavenging" earlier this week have now been released.

Chinese embassy spokesman Ding Yonghua said many of the traders, who were picked up in the northern city of Kano, had already left the country.

Dozens more Chinese held in Lagos for visa offences were also freed.

Mr Ding urged Chinese nationals to obey local laws and ensure all their documents were in order.

Those arrested in Kano had been trading at a textile market. Nigerian law bans foreigners from the retail trading of textiles.

Local immigration chief Emmanuel Brisca Ifeadi described the Chinese as "scavengers" and said the arrests were part of a wider crackdown.

He said all foreigners found to be trading illegally would be targeted in the crackdown, not just Chinese.

China is now Africa's largest trading partner, surpassing the United States and its traditional European partners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18205032

Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by Gbawe: 1:00pm On Jul 04, 2012
londoner: Look, just leave their country.....they do not want you there.

They will continue to harass until you leave. It is better to count your losses and leave with your head high, before you are chased out with just your clothing........ in shame.

What ever you are selling in Ghana, people also pay money for in Nigeria don't they?

My bf tried to get me to come to Ghana, I refused and stood fast to never go and live there. I kept telling him that they don't want Nigerians there.......it is not about what is fair, it is about what the truth is.

They don't want us there.......it is their country, Nigerians, just leave!!!!!!!

To be honest, this saga has gone on for a while and I am personally fed up with it. These are the sort of things that indicate we do not have a Government in place. It seems that Ghana, at best, has utilised some 'grey area' to pursue this action which is interpreted as wrong or right by certain 'stakeholders' , depending on their side of the fence, but not authoritatively and exhaustively by a supreme authority.

If Nigeria is serious, the first thing to do - unless they have done so and I missed it - is to seek authoritative interpretation to confirm Ghana can indeed insist on this $300,000.00 initial capital which ostensibly goes against the principles of ECOWAS as an economic union convened to enable free movement of goods and services for members of the bloc. Many have argued , including the ECOWAS Ghanaian boss Ibn Chambas, that Ghana acted wrongly and contrary to the spirit of ECOWAS via rushing in new protectionist laws that classify fellow west Africans as expatriates.

If Ghana is indeed empowered to do this, then the Nigerian Government should come out with an authoritative communique to guide its citizens who are trading in Ghana telling them to comply or leave. If it is deemed that Ghana has acted wrongly then Nigeria should act appropriately in the face of what can only be interpreted as provocation and a recourse to unsanctioned protectionism.

What we should not continue to see, directly indicating we are not a serious nation, is this constant lamentation by Nigerians trading in Ghana while the Nigerian Government is always "meeting to look into things". How long does it take to look into things and conclude decisively whether Ghana is right or wrong to do this so that a harmonised Nigerian position can be agreed upon and this saga put to bed decisively? This has simply gone on for far too long to the disgrace of Nigeria.

Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates

Ghana classifies ECOWAS citizens as expatriates

Citizens from the Economic Community Of West African States (ECOWAS) are to brace up for more hurdles as the Ghanaian government has wielded the big stick by classifying them as expatriates under new investment laws.

This was made known by the Ghana Investment Promotion Council (GIPC). The GIPC has reviewed all the country’s rules and regulations concerning foreign investment laws, which classified ECOWAS citizens desirous of working in their country as expatriates.

Under the new move, GIPC is seeking to review foreign investment laws in the country ranging from $300,000 to $1million as minimum capital requirement as precondition for any foreign investor to do business in Ghana. What this means is that Nigerians and other ECOWAS citizens who go to work and do business in Ghana will have time limit attached to their stay. They will also come under quota restrictions and will have to renew their status at the expiration of their permits. This is against the ECOWAS protocol which allows free entry and exit for West African citizens.
Already, member countries like Nigeria, Togo and the Republic Of Benin have frowned over the move, stressing that the latest pronouncement will shut their nationals out of business.

At the event, ECOWAS executive secretary, Ibn Chambas, carpeted Ghana for such intentions, arguing that the country was not willing to reintegrate into the sub-regional market. He enjoined the authorities to consider a review of the said investment promotion council, describing it as anti-ECOWAS that will not be to the interest of member countries.

However, the GIPC said it is still committed to going ahead with the plans that many analysts believe will shut other West African countries out of the market.

On November 28, 2007, Nigerian traders in Ghana found themselves at crossroads over a business policy targeted at their businesses in Ghana. GIPC came up with a policy that every Nigerian business outfit in Ghana must pay a record $300,000 before being allowed to do business.
At the prevailing exchange rate, the sum adds up to about N48 million. Despite protests from the traders and calls for caution by other ECOWAS members, the GIPC went into action, sealing up thousands of Nigerian businesses in Accra, the country’s capital and other Ghanaian cities.
More than 20 months afterwards, the businesses and shops have remained shut. Some of the traders had expected that the new Ghanaian government of John Atta-Mills would discard the policy and allow them access to their means of livelihood.

However, there are suggestions that the clampdown on ECOWAS citizens may be more political than economic, considering the rising volume of Nigerian businesses that has contributed in shaping Ghanaian economic landscape.

The 1994 Ghana Investment Promotion Act guarantees the freedom for non-Ghanaians and was designed to attract private domestic and foreign investment to the country.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5593:ghana-classifies-ecowas-citizens-as-expatriates&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by onatisi(m): 1:01pm On Jul 04, 2012
when i came on this forum and was telling Nigerians not to support the Ghanian professor that was calling our president dumb assoles on this site were saying that the man is talking sense , in Ghana here the first thing on their mind towards Nigerians is to humiliate and rubbish us , so no matter how good you are they hate Nigerians but but this is due to the behavior of Nigerians here only very few fractions of Nigerians work here the majority like 70%are involved in crime at times when i see what Nigerians are doing here i find it difficult and shameful to call myself a Nigerian , our boys are always stealing fighting and shouting Ghanians dont like that sor of thing and this has polluted their mind towards us , i have been very luck here becos i have managed to keep away from Nigerians and to show Ghanians i am honest , i was accused of theft point blank last week becos i was a Nigerian in my place of work but luckily for me the thief was cauht the third day mind you no apologies was tendered becos just down the street a 3 Nigerians were caught stealing and been in possession of Indian hemp
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by jmaine: 1:12pm On Jul 04, 2012
onatisi: when i came on this forum and was telling Nigerians not to support the Ghanian professor that was calling our president dumb assoles on this site were saying that the man is talking sense , in Ghana here the first thing on their mind towards Nigerians is to humiliate and rubbish us , so no matter how good you are they hate Nigerians but but this is due to the behavior of Nigerians here only very few fractions of Nigerians work here the majority like 70%are involved in crime at times when i see what Nigerians are doing here i find it difficult and shameful to call myself a Nigerian , our boys are always stealing fighting and shouting Ghanians dont like that sor of thing and this has polluted their mind towards us , i have been very luck here becos i have managed to keep away from Nigerians and to show Ghanians i am honest , i was accused of theft point blank last week becos i was a Nigerian in my place of work but luckily for me the thief was cauht the third day mind you no apologies was tendered becos just down the street a 3 Nigerians were caught stealing and been in possession of Indian hemp

Your post contradicts itself, in one stead you said they hate Nigerians for nothing;in another stead you justify that stereotype cos a healthy 70% of Nigerians are into crimes, even citing your personal measures to stay away from Nigerians just to impress your host

If you, as a Nigerian could be ashamed and scared of associating with fellow Nigerians, how much more the Ghanaians who equally suffer from this hordes of criminals thought be Nigerians

From your post, i feel you provided a good reason for them to loathe us
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by Gbawe: 1:24pm On Jul 04, 2012
jmaine:

Your post contradicts itself, in one stead you said they hate Nigerians for nothing;in another stead you justify that stereotype cos a healthy 70% of Nigerians are into crimes, even citing your personal measures to stay away from Nigerians just to impress your host

If you, as a Nigerian could be ashamed and scared of associating with fellow Nigerians, how much more the Ghanaians who equally suffer from this hordes of criminals thought be Nigerians

From your post, i feel they have a reason to loathe us

Please don't mind him. Folks like him are ultimately not useful ambassadors of their Nation. I wonder where he got the ridiculous 70% figure from. What I will say is that any Nigerian who goes to Ghana to hustle, perhaps because he has limited skills and education, will likely subsist in a cadre dominated by Nigerians hustlers and unsavoury characters.

I would therefore not expect those sort of Nigerians to be aware of th teeming number of professionally qualified working/investment class of Nigerians involved in banking, property development, franchised restaurants, transport etc, etc, etc.

It therefore becomes easy for those sort of Nigerians to claim 70% of Nigerians are crooks based on their direct environment and class of folks they are limited to associating with.
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by onatisi(m): 1:31pm On Jul 04, 2012
Gbawe:

Please don't mind him. Folks like him are ultimately not useful ambassadors of their Nation. I wonder where he got the ridiculous 70% figure from. What I will say is that any Nigerian who goes to Ghana to hustle, perhaps because he has limited skills and education, will likely subsist in a cadre dominated by Nigerians hustlers and unsavoury characters.

I would therefore not expect those sort of Nigerians to be aware of th teeming number of professionally qualified working/investment class of Nigerians involved in banking, property development, franchised restaurants, transport etc, etc, etc.

It therefore becomes easy for those sort of Nigerians to claim 70% of Nigerians are crooks based on their direct environment and class of folks they are limited to associating with.

come and see for urself and please when u get here tell ppl u are a nigerian and see how they will react to you . i dont need to argue . thank you
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by jmaine: 1:39pm On Jul 04, 2012
Gbawe:

The 70% stats he provided were alarming,scary and surprising grin . . . I even wondered how he confidently passed his stats as facts shocked . . . . If a Nigerian could quote such, then imagine what stats the average Ghanaian citizen will reel out as stats,in reference to the criminal Nigerian elements resident in Ghana
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by ballabriggs: 1:40pm On Jul 04, 2012
Seriously if I had foreigners dominate businesses like real estate and retail in my country, I would kick against it. Who would not? These hypocrites complaining would be the first to kick against it if it happened in Nigeria. They don't need you people dominating small businesses thus crowding out their own people from the space. The message is clear.
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by onatisi(m): 1:48pm On Jul 04, 2012
jmaine:

The 70% stats he provided were alarming,scary and surprising grin . . . I even wondered how he confidently passed his stats as facts shocked . . . . If a Nigerian could quote such, then imagine what stats the average Ghanaian citizen will reel out as stats,in reference to the criminal Nigerian elements resident in Ghana

MY BROTHER YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE IT UNTIL YOU SEE IT WITH YOUR OWN TWO EYES , PLEASE COME AND SEE WHAT OUR FELLOW BROTHERS ARE DOING HERE . THE PRISONS ARE FULL OF NIGERIANS I AM A NIGERIAN WHY WILL I LIE ABOUT MY OWN PPL , READ ALL MY POST I ALWAYS TELL PPL GHANA IS NOT WHAT THEY SAY IT IS . MOST NIGERIANS THAT COME HERE TO HUSTLE AND WORK ARE BETWEEN THE AGES OF 18-35
THE AGE BRACKET OF 18-27 ARE USUALLY DOING YAHOO YAHOO AND THEY FIGHT A LOT , I WORKED IN A PLACE AND MY GHANA BOSS TOLD ME THAT I SHOULD NOT TELL THEM THERE I AM A NIGERIAN WHEN WE REACHED THE OFFICE I SAW 2 PICTURES OF NIGERIANS BEEN WANTED BY THE POLICE FOR THEFT THE BOSS OF THE COMPANY HAD TO PAY THE MONEY ABOUT 50K CEDIS AND HE VOWED NEVER TO EMPLOY NIGERIANS , A CONSTRUCTION SITE WAS ROBBED OF ALL THE AIR CONDITIONS BY A NIGERIAN GUARD THEY EMPLOYED THE CASE IS ENDLESS , AN 18 YRS OLD GIRL WAS KILLED AND HER NECK TESTED BY HER NIGERIAN BOYFRIENDand body thrown over the fence AT ACHIMOTA THE LIST IS ENDLESS EVERY DAY CHECK THROUGH GHANA NEWS . I DONT NEED TO ARGUE OR ABUSE ANYBODY ON THIS ISSUE MY OWN IS THAT IF U FEEL I AM LIEING COME AND SEE FOR URSELF
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by onatisi(m): 1:52pm On Jul 04, 2012
onatisi:

MY BROTHER YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE IT UNTIL YOU SEE IT WITH YOUR OWN TWO EYES , PLEASE COME AND SEE WHAT OUR FELLOW BROTHERS ARE DOING HERE . THE PRISONS ARE FULL OF NIGERIANS I AM A NIGERIAN WHY WILL I LIE ABOUT MY OWN PPL , READ ALL MY POST I ALWAYS TELL PPL GHANA IS NOT WHAT THEY SAY IT IS . MOST NIGERIANS THAT COME HERE TO HUSTLE AND WORK ARE BETWEEN THE AGES OF 18-35
THE AGE BRACKET OF 18-27 ARE USUALLY DOING YAHOO YAHOO AND THEY FIGHT A LOT , I WORKED IN A PLACE AND MY GHANA BOSS TOLD ME THAT I SHOULD NOT TELL THEM THERE I AM A NIGERIAN WHEN WE REACHED THE OFFICE I SAW 2 PICTURES OF NIGERIANS BEEN WANTED BY THE POLICE FOR THEFT THE BOSS OF THE COMPANY HAD TO PAY THE MONEY ABOUT 50K CEDIS AND HE VOWED NEVER TO EMPLOY NIGERIANS , A CONSTRUCTION SITE WAS ROBBED OF ALL THE AIR CONDITIONS BY A NIGERIAN GUARD THEY EMPLOYED THE CASE IS ENDLESS , AN 18 YRS OLD GIRL WAS KILLED AND HER NECK TESTED BY HER NIGERIAN BOYFRIENDS AT ACHIMOTA THE LIST IS ENDLESS EVERY DAY CHECK THROUGH GHANA NEWS . I DONT NEED TO ARGUE OR ABUSE ANYBODY ON THIS ISSUE MY OWN IS THAT IF U FEEL I AM LIEING COME AND SEE FOR URSELF
i can quote it becos i am here and i am in the system . read my answer to a lady that wants to come here on this travel section i told her dont let anyone know you are a nigerian , the situation is as bad as that , we have lots of nigerians doing legal good biz but the majority of the young boys that come here dont want to work and are always sleeping in the morning and making loud noise and just misbehaving i wish i could record an audio of ghanians complaining about our ppl. even yesterday i was told how some nigerians went to a remote place and statred a micro financae with a woman among them and took all their money away .unless u go through an agent and u have a ghanain that is vouches for u you may not get a house to rent here . just come and see , talk is cheap , come and see
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by Gbawe: 1:53pm On Jul 04, 2012
onatisi: when i came on this forum and was telling Nigerians not to support the Ghanian professor that was calling our president dumb assoles on this site were saying that the man is talking sense , in Ghana here the first thing on their mind towards Nigerians is to humiliate and rubbish us , so no matter how good you are they hate Nigerians but but this is due to the behavior of Nigerians here only very few fractions of Nigerians work here the majority like 70%are involved in crime at times when i see what Nigerians are doing here i find it difficult and shameful to call myself a Nigerian , our boys are always stealing fighting and shouting Ghanians dont like that sor of thing and this has polluted their mind towards us , i have been very luck here becos i have managed to keep away from Nigerians and to show Ghanians i am honest , i was accused of theft point blank last week becos i was a Nigerian in my place of work but luckily for me the thief was cauht the third day mind you no apologies was tendered becos just down the street a 3 Nigerians were caught stealing and been in possession of Indian hemp

Dude, give it a rest. With Nigerians like you, we don't need enemies !!!!! Do you think Ghanaians need help with learning to commit crime or do you think Nigerians introduced hemp smoking to Ghana? Go to Labardi beach and see dozens of Ghanaian layabout, the equivalent of Nigerian area boys, on any day, smoking 'Gbana'. Are you ignorant of the large Rastafarian, hemp-smoking community in Ghana?

As for being accused of stealing because you are Nigerians, I can only say you are mentally weak to let some Ghanaians bully you with their false holier-than-thou pontifications based on sheer head-in-the-sand hypocrisy!!!! Do you know how many Ghanaian domestice staff I have had who have stolen from me? Virtually all numbering more than 6 over the years!!!! Mobile phones, cash, clothing belonging to me my wife and kids, etc, etc !!!!

Keep burying your head in the sand and avoiding your fellow Nigerians because of behaviour not exclusive to them that folks like you have now let others, equally guilty of such conduct, tag us with. By all means, avoid the Nigerian criminal elements in Ghana but don't try to make them a ludicrous 70% logic-defying majority !!!

Let me throw a challenge to the forum that exposes how some Nigerians are foolish enough to believe we are the criminals in Ghana. Google "armed robbery Adenta Ghana". Click images to get an image search. Follow the pictures to read the articles attached and view the names of the armed robbers. We are the armed robbers of Ghana yet that is not reflected overwhelming by the logic of statistical average. Nonsense !!!!
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by onatisi(m): 1:56pm On Jul 04, 2012
Gbawe:

Dude, give it a rest. With Nigerians like you, we don't need enemies !!!!! Do you think Ghanaians need help with learning to commit crime or do you think Nigerians introduced hemp smoking to Ghana? Go to Labardi beach and see dozens of Ghanaian layabout, the equivalent of Nigerian area boys, on any day, smoking 'Gbana'. Are you ignorant of the large Rastafarian, hemp-smoking community in Ghana?

As for being accused of stealing because you are Nigerians, I can only say you are mentally weak to let some Ghanaians bully you with their false holier-than-thou pontifications based on sheer head-in-the-sand hypocrisy!!!! Do you know how many Ghanaian domestice staff I have had who have stolen from me? Virtually all numbering more than 6 over the years!!!! Mobile phones, cash, clothing belonging to me my wife and kids, etc, etc !!!!

Keep burying your head in the sand and avoiding your fellow Nigerians because of behaviour not exclusive to them that folks like you have now let others, equally guilty of such conduct, tag us with. By all means, avoid the Nigerian criminal elements in Ghana but don't try to make them a ludicrous 70% logic-defying majority !!!

Let me throw a challenge to the forum that exposes how some Nigerians are foolish enough to believe we are the criminals in Ghana. Google "armed robbery Adenta Ghana". Click images to get an image search. Follow the pictures to read the articles attached and view the names of the armed robbers. We are the armed robbers of Ghana yet that is not reflected overwhelming by the logic of statistical average. Nonsense !!!!

like i said earlier let the people at home in nigeria come here and see for themselves ,i dont want to argue with this i may have more time during my break hour
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by jmaine: 2:02pm On Jul 04, 2012
onatisi:

THE AGE BRACKET OF 18-27 ARE USUALLY DOING YAHOO YAHOO AND THEY FIGHT A LOT , I WORKED IN A PLACE AND MY GHANA BOSS TOLD ME THAT I SHOULD NOT TELL THEM THERE I AM A NIGERIAN WHEN WE REACHED THE OFFICE I SAW 2 PICTURES OF NIGERIANS BEEN WANTED BY THE POLICE FOR THEFT THE BOSS OF THE COMPANY HAD TO PAY THE MONEY ABOUT 50K CEDIS AND HE VOWED NEVER TO EMPLOY NIGERIANS , A CONSTRUCTION SITE WAS ROBBED OF ALL THE AIR CONDITIONS BY A NIGERIAN GUARD THEY EMPLOYED THE CASE IS ENDLESS , AN 18 YRS OLD GIRL WAS KILLED AND HER NECK TESTED BY HER NIGERIAN BOYFRIENDS AT ACHIMOTA THE LIST IS ENDLESS EVERY DAY CHECK THROUGH GHANA NEWS . I DONT NEED TO ARGUE OR ABUSE ANYBODY ON THIS ISSUE MY OWN IS THAT IF U FEEL I AM LIEING COME AND SEE FOR URSELF

Oga mi, No one is saying Nigerians don't commit crimes there . . .anyone who says that is a bone headed liar . .But quoting 70% justifies the despise they have for us. And how did you sum up your statistics to get such an embarrassing 70% crime rate stats . .

The grouse the Ghanaian authorities keep hammering on is the complaint that, Nigerians are usurping and dominating businesses meant for the Ghanaian populace.Hence,constituting a huge threat to the economic power of the average Ghanaian citizen

It's a sure sign they (Ghana authorities), seek to address their perceived economic imbalance not favoring their citizens,which is also a yard stick that a sizable percentage of Nigerians there are engaged in numerous profitable ventures to the detriment of their competing Ghanaian host .

Verdict : Your 70% Stats was too alarming and wrong . . .
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by Gbawe: 2:05pm On Jul 04, 2012
onatisi:

come and see for urself and please when u get here tell ppl u are a nigerian and see how they will react to you . i dont need to argue . thank you

Guy, I know Ghana far more than you think. I have been associated with Ghana for over 10 years. How long have you been living there to now think yourself an authority? Man mi, I have been going to and staying in Ghana long enough, as a scientifically minded person given to working with facts, to know that the attempt by some Ghanaians to portray Nigerians as majority criminals simply does not stand the test of factual scrutiny.

Of course there are Nigerians in Ghana committing crime ,and they do stand out as 'foreigners', but that is often too wildly exaggerated by some keen to always play Ostrich, bathe themselves falsely in piousness and virtue, while childishly blaming others for everything bad.

If you read the papers, know crime statistic and generally are aware of all facet of Nigerian society in Ghana, you will realise that Ghanaians are still by far the major offenders when it comes to serious crime in Ghana.

What is certainly true is that Africans are consumed with blaming others for their problems. To that end, it is easy , as an example, for some Ghanaians to posit that Nigerians are "teaching" Ghanaians armed robbery when intelligent folks working with facts know that Ghanaians certainly don't appear as if they need any tuition in that respect based on daily reportage we all see.

Drug-dealing/trafficking nko? Vis-a-vis permeation of society to even the highest echelon of policing, entertainment, politics etc? Do you really know Ghana? Abeg fashy my brother. Stick to the topic.
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by onatisi(m): 2:10pm On Jul 04, 2012
jmaine:

Oga mi, No one is saying Nigerians don't commit crimes there . . .anyone who says that is a bone headed liar . .But quoting 70% justifies the despise they have for us. And how did you sum up your statistics to get such an embarrassing 70% crime rate stats . .

The grouse the Ghanaian authorities keep hammering on is the complaint that, Nigerians are usurping and dominating businesses meant for the Ghanaian populace.Hence,constituting a huge threat to the economic power of the average Ghanaian citizen

It's a sure sign they (Ghana authorities), seek to address their perceived economic imbalance they feel it's not favoring their citizens.Which is also a yard stick that a sizable percentage of Nigerians there are engaged in numerous profitable ventures to the detriment of their competing Ghanaian host .

Verdict : Your 70% Stats was too alarming . . .
thank you for ur very sensible reasoning , i came about that figure due to my meeting pppl , see i don't know know how to explain this but what i am telling u is the truth , when i ca me here i worked as a construction laborer then security man and now i am a steel bender with a construction company that is how i have been able to survive , my ppl dont want that , most of the 19-27 age bracket cant stand that agony and pains of doing menial jobs the few or the rest who have been able to do it or have been able to worked hard we find Ghana very peaceful with its own problems but when u come to osnu or tudu u see so many Nigerians just roaming round the streets or sleeping during the day time and going to the cafe , pls don't misunderstand me and reason with me very very well read all my post on past topics concerning ghana and Ghanian i must confess i dont like them either but my own or fellow Nigerian brothers are majorly the cause of these reactions , if u read every well the Nigerian biz man who complained the Ghanaian authorities are not clamping down on other nationals just Nigerians and if u ask them they will tell you that Nigerians ar crooks . look my brother you wont believe what i am telling you , Ghana is just 8hrs drive pls come for a weekend and see pls
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by onatisi(m): 2:13pm On Jul 04, 2012
Gbawe:

Guy, I know Ghana far more than you think. I have been associated with Ghana for over 10 years. How long have you been living there to now think yourself an authority? Man mi, I have been going to and staying in Ghana long enough, as a scientifically minded person given to working with facts, to know that the attempt by some Ghanaians to portray Nigerians as majority criminals simply does not stand the test of factual scrutiny.

Of course there are Nigerians in Ghana committing crime ,and they do stand out as 'foreigners', but that is often too exagerated by some keen to always play Ostrich and childishly blame others for everything.

If you read the papers, know crime statistic and generally are aware of all facet of Nigerian society in Ghana, you will realise that Ghanaians are still by far the major offenders when it comes to crime in Ghana.

What is certainly true is that Africans are consumed with blaming others for their problems. To that end, it is easy , as an example, for some Ghanaians to posit that Nigerians are "teaching" Ghanaians armed robbery when intelligent folks working with facts know that Ghanaians certainly don't appear as if they need any tuition in that respect based on daily reportage we all see.

Drug-dealing/trafficking nko? Vis-a-vis permeation of society to even the highest echelon of policing, entertainment, politics etc? Do you really know Ghana? Abeg fashy my brother. Stick to the topic.
i am not arguing we are both here in ghana and i think the ppl at home will be reading what we are writing and posting , well if Nigerians were as well behaved as u are claiming then the situation on ground is the best judge
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by onatisi(m): 2:15pm On Jul 04, 2012
onatisi:
i am not arguing we are both here in ghana and i think the ppl at home will be reading what we are writing and posting , well if Nigerians were as well behaved as u are claiming then the situation on ground is the best judge
i have noticed ppl like to come here and insult or abuse well cool , just cool , i am just ad for the legal and honest nigerian biz men here in ghana cos they are the ones bearing the brunt of what others did and are still doing , ppl at home never follow sycophants it is better to hear the bitter truth than to fool ourselves that our hosts are bad .
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by ballabriggs: 2:23pm On Jul 04, 2012
Fact is Nigerians are heavily discriminated against in most foreign countries. When I go to some places and tell them with so much confidence that "I am a Nigerian", one could see the unusual look on their faces. What is the issue should be our major concern. Is it over exaggerated that we get involved in criminality? Do we disrespect their culture the way some of us do even within Nigeria? Do we leave their countries and look inwards since it seems they won't stop discriminating against us? How do we get our young people back to work? We need answers.
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by onatisi(m): 2:32pm On Jul 04, 2012
ballabriggs: Fact is Nigerians are heavily discriminated against in most foreign countries. What is the issue should be our major concern. Is it over exaggerated that we get involved in criminality? Do we disrespect their culture the way some of us do even within Nigeria? Do we leave their countries and look inwards since it seems they won't stop discriminating against us? How do we get our young people back to work? We need answers.
i love ur intellectual response to this thread,Nigerians and pls i am trying not to be tribalistic here , but the older Nigerians here like 40 upwards dont cause problems you wont even know they are Nigerian and most are working but the young boys , oh my God , u need to see them , pls when u get to accra come to osu area and see them , go to madina aea in accra . i will not come here and start casting insults or abuse around , i hate when ppl look down on Nigerians and nigeria , generally Ghanians believe they are better than Nigerians but they are not , our ppl feel that they are smarter than Ghanians and behave like that towards them , but i wont like to go bac k on the point i have highlighted , many Nigerian boys here have not gone home for 3-8 yrs and yet they are doing nothing when u ask them they are ashamed to go back home , i think it all boils down to education and training if the ppl coming here are trained they will get a job but most coming here don't even have ond talk less of having a skill and Ghana hustling my brother no be esay dem go use u aaaaaaa like u be donkey , i did a 3cedi a day job here before , then 5 cedis andcedis till i got to the level i am now . but Nigerian youth dont want that they want to make money fast fast ,no fast fast money for ghana
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by onatisi(m): 2:40pm On Jul 04, 2012
the same thing is almost similar to what many Nigerians are doing in Malaysia , ppl traveling out of naija feel anywhere abroad is rosy but not in most cases until we got here did we realized the opportunities that abound in Nigeria
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by Gbawe: 2:41pm On Jul 04, 2012
onatisi:

Guy, I am not interested in arguing with you either. I just want you to appreciate that the conduct of our criminal/hustler class cannot and should never be used to define "Nigerians" in Ghana. You forget that man is always predisposed to remembering and judging you upon the one wrong you do him while he forgets the 500 act of goodness you have done.

Similarly, and worldwide, many like to talk as if Nigerians are all about negativity while they forget the decent and upright Nigerians who are, no doubt, in the statistical majority by far. That is what is going on in Ghana. Mass hysteria induced by ignorance and a dose of xenophobia.

My guy, stop reading junk news and associating with people who use conjecture and speculation to navigate life. The Ghanaian author of the article below is the sort I respect and have as friends in Ghana, not intellectually lazy and dishonest Ghanaians who find it very convenient to ignore the majority good Nigerians do to beginning tagging us all as 419ners and armed robbers "ruining" their nation.

http://sites.davidson.edu/cis485/?p=3322

Nigerians in Ghana: Uncovering the Myth
March 27, 2012 | Kwasi Kyei |13 Comments

Abstract:
The negative effects of the influx of Nigerians into Ghana have been widely documented. Nevertheless, many Nigerian companies are moving their businesses into Ghana. I believe that the marginal benefit that Ghana receives from Nigerian investments is greater than the marginal costs the country may suffer from the increased crime rate.

Summary:
The Economic Community for West African States (ECOWAS) Free Movement of Persons Directorate states that “A citizen of the Community visiting any Member State for a period not exceeding ninety (90) days shall enter the territory of that Member State through the official entry point free of visa requirements. Such citizen shall, however, be required to obtain permission for an extension of stay from the appropriate authority if after such entry that citizen has cause to stay for more than ninety (90) days.” This clause has increased the number of citizens from other West African countries: mainly, Nigerian, Ivory Coast, Liberia and Sierra Leone, in Ghana.

Many believe that the huge influx of Nigerians, between one and three million (depending on your source) has had grievous effects on the lives and safety of Ghanaians. The first portion of this blog will look at the perceived negative effects of Nigerians in Ghana. Why the sudden inflow? Ghana has impressively maintained its brand as a very peaceful and democratic haven for other West Africans whose countries have been mired by turmoil. Many believe that the influx of West African citizens, especially Nigerians, has increased the crime rate in Ghana. Over the past decade, the incidence of armed robbery, internet fraud (419), conman activities, property-documentation forgery have skyrocketed in the country.

[b]You ask the common Ghanaian for the cause of this sudden change, and you will hear the “Niger man,” meaning the Nigerians. [/b]An example of an “imported” crime is the 419 scam. With Nigerian roots, the 419 internet scheme involves an individual proposing a business venture with huge economic returns to another (usually a Westerner). After impressing the Western investor with false business proposals and fake letters from government agencies, the 419 artist, if lucky, receives money from the investor. With time, the conman sends regular update on the business falsifying financial performance. The investor, who is now hooked to the business, becomes more willing to send more money to grow the “business.” Besides, the dangerously high incidence of crime and cyber fraud has caught up to many Ghanaians.

Today, a high number of young people partake in con activities and armed robbery as well cyber-crimes.
Given the above negative effects of Nigerians in Ghana, the sudden movement is having a positive influence on the Ghanaian economy. Nigerian businesses are attracted to Ghana for the country’s relative security and political stability, reliable power supply and relatively better schools. Given the proximity – Accra is 40 and 20 minutes from Lagos and Abuja, respectively- to one another and a similar language, English and Pidgin English, many Nigerians have flown to live in Ghana. With abundance of “oil money,” Nigerian businessmen have invested hugely in Ghana’s banking, finance and insurance sectors, as well as petroleum, energy, telecommunications and transportation industries. These ventures are providing jobs for Ghanaians and are playing a huge role in Ghana’s quest to being a middle-income economy. Besides, the influx of business should increase the revenues of the Government of Ghana, and “hopefully” enable it to invest in the people and embark on more wealth redistribution projects. The long term impact of Nigerian wealth and business in Ghana is invaluable to economic growth in the nation.

Analysis:
Before moving to my main analysis of comparing the costs and benefits of having Nigerians in Ghana, I challenge the notion that Nigerians have increased crime in Ghana. The fact that the crime rate increased around the time Nigerians immigrated into Ghana does not necessarily mean that Nigerians are the bad guys. A basic rule of statistical and regression analysis, “correlation does not imply causation” helps explain this point. Other factors like tech advancement and the low poverty levels may have had larger influences on the crime rate. Additionally, the crime rate increase may have increased due to refugees from Ivory Coast, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

In order to continue with the analysis, let us assume that Nigerians did cause the skyrocket crime rate. Is the marginal cost of crime greater than the current and expected marginal benefits from the entry of business?” I do not believe so. Economic principle shows that investments have incredible high multiplier effects that drive an economy to growth. For example, increased jobs may mean that an additional Ghanaian may earn an extra dollar. This extra dollar may have a good influence on his or her ability to afford good education, food and drinking water. A higher education may in turn increase his or her ability to establish a business or invest in small-scale businesses. Thus, the current spurt in investment in Ghana may have massive tangible and intangible long term benefits for Ghana. Finally, economic growth, due to inflow of Nigerian capital, will help Ghana invest in its security system and consequently reduce the crime rate.
Based on the above, I believe that Ghanaians need to worry less about the “assumed” role of Nigerians in crime, and worry more about the possible opportunity costs that the nation will face when Nigerian businesses “pack their bags and leave.” The country needs to implement more pro-investment policies. Unfortunately, an inevitable side effect of having wealth accumulate in one place is an increased crime rate. Thus, the government needs to invest in its security system to control the crime. Security strengthening will not only make Ghanaians “happy,” but also attract more foreign investors into the country.
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by onatisi(m): 3:05pm On Jul 04, 2012
http://lindaikeji..com/2012/06/nigerian-man-suspected-of-killing-19yr.html

http://edition.myjoyonline.com/pages/crime/201205/87120.php?storyid=87120

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/features/artikel.php?ID=216336

http://www.ghanatoghana.com/Ghanahomepage/nigerian-robbers-arrested

http://africanoutlookonline.com/new/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1890:canadian-police-arrest-six-in-identity-theft-operation-allegedly-linked-to-ghana&catid=29:crime-news&Itemid=53

http://www.africanoutlookonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4048:nigerian-woman-stabs-husband-to-death-in-ghana-over-sex&catid=29:courts-a-crime&Itemid=53

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/features/artikel.php?ID=214755

http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/nigerian-bags-10-year-imprisonment-ghana

http://omgghana.com/the-nigerian-man-who-murdered-matilda-asante-explicit-photo-inside/

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=223669

http://www.ghanavillage.com/showthread.php/5106-Nigerian-Armed-Robbery-Gang-Busted

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=243576

http://ghanaian-chronicle.com/six-suspected-nigerian-robbers-busted/

http://edition.myjoyonline.com/pages/crime/201205/87120.php

http://news.peacefmonline.com/news/201202/96989.php?storyid=100&

peopl at home there is still more and more but due to space i may not be able to post them all . nigerians need to change . like i said earlier i dont and wont argue on this issue , ppl at home come and see what ur brothers are doing here in ghana . now tell me how can our host like us with all these and mind you this is just a tip of the ice berg if you want more i will give u . lets not defend what we know is wrong .i dont like ghanians but my brothers here are not helping matters and i think this ppl are just fed up
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by onatisi(m): 3:21pm On Jul 04, 2012
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by Gbawe: 3:25pm On Jul 04, 2012
onatisi:
peopl at home there is still more and more but due to space i may not be able to post them all . nigerians need to change . like i said earlier i dont and wont argue on this issue , ppl at home come and see what ur brothers are doing here in ghana . now tell me how can our host like us with all these and mind you this is just a tip of the ice berg if you want more i will give u . lets not defend what we know is wrong .i dont like ghanians but my brothers here are not helping matters and i think this ppl are just fed up

My guy, there is no need for the back and forth. Think what you want and supply as many links of Nigerians linked to crime as you want. No one said Nigerians do not commit crime in Ghana and ultimately all your links prove nothing because adult, working with logic and facts, will know all you supply above , to bolster your ludicrous assertion, has to be taken in the context of overall statistical permutation and length of time which many reveal real useful and conjecture-free indicators.

If there are 5 to 10 cases of Nigerian involvement in crime monthly, what does that exactly tell us when there are 3000 cases of crime committed monthly by Ghanaians themselves?

You are working with dubious generalisation and this is why you can conclude 70% of 2 million Nigerians (if one believes the highest estimates) in Ghana are criminals i.e 1.4 million Nigerians. Surely it is clear if you can believe that then you can believe anything negative about Nigerians.
Re: Ghanaian Govt Chasing Us Out, Lament Nigerian Bizmen by onatisi(m): 3:30pm On Jul 04, 2012
Gbawe:

My guy, there is no need for the back and forth. Think what you want and supply as many links of Nigerians linked to crime as you want. No one said Nigerians do not commit crime in Ghana and ultimately all your links prove nothing because adult, working with logic and facts, will know all you supply above , to bolster your ludicrous assertion, has to be taken in the context of overall statistical permutation and length of time which many reveal real useful and conjecture-free indicators.

If there are 5 to 10 cases of Nigerian involvement in crime monthly, what does that exactly tell us when there are 3000 cases of crime committed monthly by Ghanaians themselves?

You are working with dubious generalisation and this is why you can conclude 70% of 2 million Nigerians (if one believes the highest estimates) in Ghana are criminals i.e 1.4 million Nigerians. Surely it is clear if you can believe that then you can believe anything negative about Nigerians.

gbawe you are trying to prove a point which you seem not to have read my earlier write ups, i said there are nigerians here who are honest and pls did u read through the age bracket issue and did u lread through all my post or you only saw 70%and started attacking me , please read through very very well and understand what i have been saying forget the statictic, i wont join issues with u , i think i have passed that stage i think i have provided fact for the ppl at home to see and judge for themselves s about what is happening here in ghana

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ibrahim Babangida Badamasi...how Many Likes For IBB? / History: World War II In Photos (part 5): Conflict Spreads Around The Globe / Graphic Photos: Pastor Beheads Pregnant Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.