Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile (17454 Views)

Jega’s Brother Justice A.A. Jega Who Died In Hajj Stampede (Photo) / Enemies Of Nigeria Also Known As The CABAL (A Profile)- Sahara Reporters 2010 / Mariam Abacha & Mohamadou Bayero Fadil, Her Son-inlaw Pictured Together (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by tobaina: 8:39pm On Jul 04, 2012
With the nomination of Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar as the new Chief Justice of Nigeria to the Senate by President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday, Nigeria’s apex court is set to have its first female head.
Justice Mukhtar, 68 will replace Justice Dahiru Musdapher who retires as the CJN on 15 of July. Justice Mukhtar has been a trailblazer for women on the Bench in many respects. When she was appointed to the Supreme Court in 2005, she was the first female jurist to be appointed to the highest court in Nigeria.
Justice Muktar had also earlier made history as the first woman to be appointed into Appeal Court, Nigeria’s second highest court. Ironically, it was gathered Justice Muktar was nominated by the Kano State government to the appellate court in 1987 to pave way for a male appointee.

The incoming CJN who was called to the Nigerian Bar in 1967, a year after she was called to the English Bar is also the first female lawyer in the Northern part of the country.
Legal practitioners and colleagues described her as independent minded.

Justice Mukhtar was one of the justices who gave a dissenting judgment that is widely acclaimed in legal circles and the academia in the Yar’Adua/Buhari election result dispute in 2007. The incoming CJN alongside Justices George Oguntade, (now retired) and Walter Onnoghen, held that there was substantial non-compliance with the Electoral Act 2006 which vitiated the election of the late President.
It was gathered that an offer was made to her some months ago to proceed on secondment outside the country and assume office as the Chief Justice of Gambia as a way of stopping her from becoming the CJN. She however declined the offer.

Justice Mukhtar began her legal career as a pupil counsel in the Ministry of Justice of Northern Nigeria in 1967. She was later appointed Magistrate Grade I, North Eastern Government (1969 – 1973), thus scoring another first as the first female Magistrate in the Northern region.

She made another history with her appointment as the Chief Registrar, Kano State Government Judiciary (1973 – 1977) and Judge, High Court of Kano State in 1977 and Justice, Court of Appeal in 1987. She is at present the most senior Justice of the Supreme Court.
Justice Muktar has been a life Bencher since 1993 and a life member of the Federation of Women Lawyers. She was also the Vice President of the National Association of Women Judges of Nigeria. In 1989, Muktar was honoured by the Federation of Women Lawyers and in 1991; she was decorated with a Gold Merit Award by the Kano State Government.

In 2003 she was again honoured by the International Association of Women Lawyers, and in 2004, the Fellowship of the Nigerian Law School was conferred on her.
Justice Muktar had her primary education at the St. George’s School, Zaria and also at St. Bartholomews’s school, Wusasa, also in Zaria from 1950 and 1957. She furthered her education at Rossholme School for Girls in East Brent, Somerset, England for her GCE O’ Levels in 1962 and went for further education at the Technical College, Berkshire England.

She graduated from Gibson and Welder college in law in 1966 and was subsequently called to the English Bar in absentia. She was called to the Bar on June 26, 1967.

http://newsinbriefng..com/2012/07/nigerias-first-female-chief-justice.html

1 Like

Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Beaf: 9:00pm On Jul 04, 2012
Nigeria's first female CJN is yet another feather in GEJ's cap.
I hope she does us proud.

[size=14pt]Jonathan nominates first female CJN[/size]
By Onyedi Ojiabor

[img]http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/thumbnail.php?file=ALOMA_824801321.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]
Justice Mukhtar Justice Mukhtar

President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday forwarded the name of Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar to the Senate for confirmation as Chief Justice of Nigeria.

Senate President, Senator David Mark, read the nomination letter dated July 3, 2012 at Wednesday’s plenary.

In the letter entitled: “Appointment of Chief Justice of Nigeria” Jonathan said the appointment is in conformity with Section 231 Sub-section (1) of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, as amended.”

The Section gave the President power to appoint a CJN, acting on the recommendation of the National Judicial Council and subject to the confirmation of the appointment by the Senate.

“I have the honour to forward the nomination of Honourable Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar, CON, CFR for confirmation as Chief Justice of Nigeria,” Jonathan said.

The President urged the Senate to give the nomination expeditious attention.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/52676-jonathan-nominates-first-female-cjn.html
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Starlett: 9:30pm On Jul 04, 2012
Sorry, Beaf... I have read up the profile of the incoming CJN carefully, but can't see where GEJ is mentioned. Pray, tell us how appointing her is now a feather to his cap.

Last I checked, the rule is that the NJC usually recommends the most senior sitting justice of the supreme court (i.e, longest on the SC bench) to the Presidency for forwarding to the NASS. GEJ has no credit to take here, sorry.

3 Likes

Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Beaf: 9:34pm On Jul 04, 2012
Starlett: Sorry, Beaf... I have read up the profile of the incoming CJN carefully, but can't see where GEJ is mentioned. Pray, tell us how appointing her is now a feather to his cap.

Last I checked, the rule is that the NJC usually recommends the most senior sitting justice of the supreme court (i.e, longest on the SC bench) to the Presidency for forwarding to the NASS. GEJ has no credit to take here, sorry.

GEJ can nominate any qualified person for the post, but chose to nominate her and give us our first ever female CJN.
My last post contains the letter GEJ sent to the senate. Please read it (and follow through with the relevant sections of the constitution that are quoted).

By the way, why do you think you should see GEJ in her profile, is he her husband or dad?

2 Likes

Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Akainzo(m): 10:34pm On Jul 04, 2012
Beaf:

GEJ can nominate any qualified person for the post, but chose to nominate her and give us our first ever female CJN.
My last post contains the letter GEJ sent to the senate. Please read it (and follow through with the relevant sections of the constitution that are quoted).

By the way, why do you think you should see GEJ in her profile, is he her husband or dad?

Sorry to bust your bubble, he cannot nominate anybody, the CJN position is achieved by rank, and as of now, she is the most senior justice of the Supreme Court. One day, it would be a feather in GEJ's cap for declaring public holiday on christmas day! grin grin

Though I concede that greatness is being thrust on him as it is happening during his tenure.

6 Likes

Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Clerverly: 10:34pm On Jul 04, 2012
Why always North?

2 Likes

Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jul 04, 2012
Akainzo:

Sorry to bust your bubble, he cannot nominate anybody, the CJN position is achieved by rank, and as of now, she is the most senior justice of the Supreme Court. One day, it would be a feather in GEJ's cap for declaring public holiday on christmas day! grin grin

Though I concede that greatness is being thrust on him as it is happening during his tenure.

The highlighted part says it all.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 04, 2012
Who believes in that justice system? Practically who studies Law nowadays?

Another window dressing for that Godforsaken and utterly compromised justice system.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by tunax5loon(m): 10:47pm On Jul 04, 2012
She made another history with her appointment as the Chief Registrar, Kano State Government Judiciary (1973 – 1977) and Judge, High Court of Kano State in 1977 and Justice, Court of Appeal in 1987. She is at present the most senior Justice of the Supreme Court.

@Beaf, if Abacha were to be the presido.. he would av nominated her too.. this is not abt Jonah.(sleeping presido)

2 Likes

Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Starlett: 10:57pm On Jul 04, 2012
Beaf:

Thanks to all those who have assisted in giving you sound rejoinders. In this case, GEJ only did what he should by nominating her, since the NJC has already forwarded her name to him!
Clerverly: Why always North?

To answer you, I have always said that the manner in which the CJN is appointed leaves room for marginalization of any part of the country one may choose to. For instance, to prevent someone from the SE from getting to that position, simply ensure that the slot meant for the SE are always filled by elderly justices, who would slways retire (sometimes, as next most senior) before reaching the CJN position.

Congrats to Murkthar, BTW
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Musiwa2: 10:59pm On Jul 04, 2012
F

1 Like

Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by rinora(f): 11:00pm On Jul 04, 2012
Clerverly: Why always North?

and what do u mean by that,silly post like shes not qualified
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Musiwa2: 11:10pm On Jul 04, 2012
F
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Clerverly: 11:15pm On Jul 04, 2012
rinora:

and what do u mean by that,silly post like shes not qualified
Jus[b]t a question. Between I never doubted her qualification but for goodness sake, the last 6 CJs were all from this particular region. So what is silly about my post?[/b]
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Musiwa2: 11:18pm On Jul 04, 2012
F
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by dasparrow: 11:22pm On Jul 04, 2012
bayooooooo:

You should be banned for this misguided comment.

Don't worry. His post will soon be hidden since it is off topic, tribalistic and disrespectful in nature.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by maigaskiya1: 11:24pm On Jul 04, 2012
Starlett: Sorry, Beaf... I have read up the profile of the incoming CJN carefully, but can't see where GEJ is mentioned. Pray, tell us how appointing her is now a feather to his cap.

Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Kay17: 11:45pm On Jul 04, 2012
Beaf:

Why are you this biased??! The most senior justice traditionally becomes the next CJN.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Beaf: 11:48pm On Jul 04, 2012
Akainzo:

Crap argument, dude.
The constitution does not say anywhere that the CJN position is earned by rank.
In fact, to utterly destroy the foundation of your argument, the constitution, Section 231 Sub-section (3) says this:

(3) A person shall not be qualified to hold the office of Chief Justice of Nigeria or a Justice of the Supreme Court, unless he is qualified to practice as a legal practitioner in Nigeria and has been so qualified for a period of not less than fifteen years.

The bit in red nails the sad fact that the post was never considered for women, it has taken GEJ to change that.

Further, it says that it is based on recommendation of the NJC and the agreement of the President and Senate; simply put, both the President and the Senate can veto the NJC until they get the guy they want. To forestall that, nothing stops the President from demanding that the NJC submit a basket of names from which he can pick one.

The President appoints the members of the NJC and exercises power over them (3rd Schedule, B - Council of State, 6v).
Guess what? The Federal Judicial Council (which includes the Attorney General) advises the NJC on recommendations for appointment (3rd Schedule, E - Federal Judicial Service Commission, 6v).

The circle of obfuscation completes itself. Init? Please hail GEJ on his appointment of the first female CJN. cool
In a labyrinthal arrangement, the President simply chooses a CJN, sends the name to the Federal Judicial Service Commission, who "advise" the CJN to recommend the name. The CJN "recommends" the Presidents choice and life goes on. Check out the quote below (3rd Schedule, I - National Judicial Council):

21. The National Judicial Council shall have power to -

(a) recommend to the President from among the list of persons submitted to it by -

(i) the Federal Judicial Service Commission, persons for appointment to the offices of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, the Justices of the Supreme Court, the President and Justices of the Court of Appeal, the Chief Judge and Judges of the Federal High Court, and

Seen? grin
Please hail GEJ wella for appointing the first ever female CJN. History has been made, especially in the battle for womens rights.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Beaf: 11:51pm On Jul 04, 2012
tunax5loon: She made another history with her appointment as the Chief Registrar, Kano State Government Judiciary (1973 – 1977) and Judge, High Court of Kano State in 1977 and Justice, Court of Appeal in 1987. She is at present the most senior Justice of the Supreme Court.

@Beaf, if Abacha were to be the presido.. he would av nominated her too.. this is not abt Jonah.(sleeping presido)

Like I said above, you guys are simply making up stories to tell. Read my last post above thoroughly. cool
Simply hail GEJ for an action that has taken the nation several civilised steps forward.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Kay17: 11:56pm On Jul 04, 2012
Beaf:

Crap argument, dude.
The constitution does not say anywhere that the CJN position is earned by rank.
In fact, to utterly destroy the foundation of your argument, the constitution, Section 231 Sub-section (3) says this:

Further, it says that it is based on recommendation of the NJC and the agreement of the President and Senate; simply put, both the President and the Senate can veto the NJC until they get the guy they want. To forestall that, nothing stops the President from demanding that the NJC submit a basket of names from which he can pick one.

The President appoints the members of the NJC and exercises power over them (3rd Schedule, B - Council of State, 6v).
Guess what? The Federal Judicial Council (which includes the Attorney General) advises the NJC on recommendations for appointment (3rd Schedule, E - Federal Judicial Service Commission, 6v).

The circle of obfuscation completes itself. Init? Please hail GEJ on his appointment of the first female CJN. cool
In a labyrinthal arrangement, the President simply chooses a CJN, sends the name to the Federal Judicial Service Commission, who "advise" the CJN to recommend the name. The CJN "recommends" the Presidents choice and life goes on. Check out the quote below (3rd Schedule, I - National Judicial Council):

Seen? grin
Please hail GEJ wella for appointing the first ever female CJN. History has been made, especially in the battle for womens rights.

Yes, but for the integrity of the judiciary, the convention in courts is to place priority in rank/senority.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Meedu(m): 11:57pm On Jul 04, 2012
ANOTHER MUPPET MAMA

1 Like

Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by mitofag: 12:01am On Jul 05, 2012
rinora:

you are so insenstive and tribalistic as well,how can u say shes ugly,someone dats 68 and still looks this good,i tire for the way some people think sha,i wonder how u would look when u are 68...msteeew

More reason why she needs botox and maybe some good plastic surgery. As a nation we should always strive to put our best face forward, even if we have to patch them up with the best technology available. Image is everything. GEJ effed up on this one. He could have nominated some better looking Yoruba woman or some naturalized foreigners since it seems we are lacking in good looking women. We can do better.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Military Fighters(pictures) / Hanging Pictures Of Presidents/governors In Offices? / Senate To Share Committees Between APC, PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.