Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,472 members, 7,781,375 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:26 PM

How Did You Get Your Present Job? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Did You Get Your Present Job? (23987 Views)

How Did You Get Your Present Job? / If You Are Unemployed Or Not Happy With Your Present Work, Pls Read This / Describe Your Present Job With One Word (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did You Get Your Present Job? by acidtalk: 11:47am On Jul 05, 2012
I usually gevt at least one request every two weeks by friends and distant families to try and help them submit their CV to my friends who are either working in top notch companies or own their own company.

Just yesterday such request was being made by a friend of over 8years and on seeing another who works in one of the top 3 insurance firm in the country, he said not only is his own job currently on the line as his insurance company is planning to lay off staff soon but also most jobs of today are gotten through connection from top inhouse management staff.

Why question is nairalanders HOW DID YOU GET YOUR PRESENT JOB?

Was it just filling out job vacancy through online or newspaper?
Or through a reputable recruitment agency? or with the help of a family, neighbor or even former lecturer or boss?

Please share your story on how you secured your present job for others to learn on or two things about.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Taiyes007: 12:29pm On Jul 05, 2012
Pls help oh i need a job my email address is isanni25@yahoo.com
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 05, 2012
Taiyes007: Pls help oh i need a job my email address is isanni25@yahoo.com
Ur course of study is what?
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by acidtalk: 12:47pm On Jul 05, 2012
Taiyes007: Pls help oh i need a job my email address is isanni25@yahoo.com

By doing this, you have given a thousand dubious people the avenue to send you fishy e.mails to come for a job test or interview you never applied to.

Only God knows how much you will pay each of them with the hope of getting a job.

You people need to be a little more careful.

9 Likes

Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Dextra(f): 12:52pm On Jul 05, 2012
Well, I saw the advert on the internet (It has always been my dream to work in this field). Though my skill wasn't what they were looking for, I applied anyway. Afterward, I placed a call to the correspondence number and reminded the admin that I sent an application. She told me they are not hiring that time but will be hiring after three months so I should check back, however, she will keep my application in the database. Three months afterwards, I called again. It was a new admin, I told her I applied earlier for the job, she went through the database and saw my application but told me to update it and send some other stuff. Voila! I was invited for an interview. I lost the position to someone else who was more qualified. I was sad. 2 weeks later, the admin called me that there's another super position available if I was interested. This time, I was the only candidate for that position. That was how I got my present job. I never met any of the people working there until the day of my interview. My advice to job seekers is simple this: Be specific in the type of job or company you want and narrow your search in that direction. Most people are looking for ANY JOB Any job is no job. If you want to get into WHO, focus on WHO, learn about them, apply and follow up your application. Show them you have the passion to work with them (I don't mean BEG), be professional. After you apply, upgrade yourself with the required skills you need to be effective. Have a goal, don't just work for money. Enjoy the job. Thanks

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jul 05, 2012
acidtalk:

By doing this, you have given a thousand dubious people the avenue to send you fishy e.mails to come for a job test or interview you never applied to.

Only God knows how much you will pay each of them with the hope of getting a job.

You people need to be a little more careful.
Yeah! you may be right....And as for me, the reason why I asked him his course of study is simple.I work with a Telecoms company and we need more Field Engineers/Riggers.

Peace!
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Pacify: 12:56pm On Jul 05, 2012
@OP, there are genuine jobs out there though few. I got mine without knowing or been a relative of any single person in my firm. What baffles me more was that, amongst all the interviewees for the job, I was the only person who wasn't from an eastern state (all my bosses are from the eastern parts of Nigeria). So, what I'd advice is to have the required GRADE and the required SKILLS...period!

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jul 05, 2012
Dextra: Well, I saw the advert on the internet (It has always been my dream to work in this field). Though my skill wasn't what they were looking for, I applied anyway. Afterward, I placed a call to the correspondence number and reminded the admin that I sent an application. She told me they are not hiring that time but will be hiring after three months so I should check back, however, she will keep my application in the database. Three months afterwards, I called again. It was a new admin, I told her I applied earlier for the job, she went through the database and saw my application but told me to update it and send some other stuff. Voila! I was invited for an interview. I lost the position to someone else who was more qualified. I was sad. 2 weeks later, the admin called me that there's another super position available if I was interested. This time, I was the only candidate for that position. That was how I got my present job. I never met any of the people working there until the day of my interview. My advice to job seekers is simple this: Be specific in the type of job or company you want and narrow your search in that direction. Most people are looking for ANY JOB Any job is no job. If you want to get into WHO, focus on WHO, learn about them, apply and follow up your application. Show them you have the passion to work with them (I don't mean BEG), be professional. After you apply, upgrade yourself with the required skills you need to be effective. Have a goal, don't just work for money. Enjoy the job. Thanks
Well said!
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by afrobaby(f): 1:08pm On Jul 05, 2012
Even though I got my present job(though not my dream job o) via nairaland, I must confess this only happens once in like 50 job offers. I know many of my friends, a whole lot, who got their jobs via relatives or close friends, I must confess, it has become the norm of the country. I remember a friend of my sister telling her that if I am interested in immigration job, I should tell him, that he can get one for me via his minister friend. i never said I wanted a job, I had to reject the offer cos the condition being given was too much a sacrifice, I have to claim to still be single when a already happily married, funny though.
But to be candid, getting job(I mean good jobs, not 50K to 70K job per month o, or marketing job), that really pays most time are usually through direct connection with insiders, that is why I dont joke with my linkedin contacts, still seeking a better job, but on break now, hope when I start my searh again next year, i can have a different testimony

1 Like

Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by acidtalk: 1:23pm On Jul 05, 2012
kunletiwoo: Yeah! you may be right....And as for me, the reason why I asked him his course of study is simple.I work with a Telecoms company and we need more Field Engineers/Riggers.

Peace!

you might have a good intention but believe me a thousand others dont. they probably will just copy his e.mail and start sending him debious mails claiming he has been called for a test.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jul 05, 2012
acidtalk:

you might have a good intention but believe me a thousand others dont. they probably will just copy his e.mail and start sending him debious mails claiming he has been called for a test.
Understood!
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by acidtalk: 1:31pm On Jul 05, 2012
afrobaby: Even though I got my present job(though not my dream job o) via nairaland, I must confess this only happens once in like 50 job offers. I know many of my friends, a whole lot, who got their jobs via relatives or close friends, I must confess, it has become the norm of the country. I remember a friend of my sister telling her that if I am interested in immigration job, I should tell him, that he can get one for me via his minister friend. i never said I wanted a job, I had to reject the offer cos the condition being given was too much a sacrifice, I have to claim to still be single when a already happily married, funny though.
But to be candid, getting job(I mean good jobs, not 50K to 70K job per month o, or marketing job), that really pays most time are usually through direct connection with insiders, that is why I dont joke with my linkedin contacts, still seeking a better job, but on break now, hope when I start my searh again next year, i can have a different testimony

Very sincere and beneficial contribution.

Thanks guys lets keep the testimony going as this will enable job seekers learn one ot two thngs on how to get that dream job of theirs.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by duality(m): 2:06pm On Jul 05, 2012
kunletiwoo: Yeah! you may be right....And as for me, the reason why I asked him his course of study is simple.I work with a Telecoms company and we need more Field Engineers/Riggers.

Peace!

whats the name of the company. you may be of help to a young engineer.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jul 05, 2012
Whoever messaged me, I've just replied your massage with the necessary details on how to apply. Good luck
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Lebee4(m): 2:57pm On Jul 05, 2012
i got my present job by applying for any civil Engineering job online.
It pay off one night when i connect my modem to seach my yahoomail and a message was sent to me that am having an interview in PH on Monday by 11Am and it was saturday night without a dime on me on in bank.
Sunday evening, i joined a night but to PH from KD and was calling a man i latter know to be d internal control of the COY. i got to PH by 2pm and they've already concluded d interview but the guy i kept calling has already intimate the panel about my coming and they re convene for the interview and i was successful.
although, its not common this way but i thank God for mercy and my unresistable CV for that particular position.
update always.

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jul 05, 2012
Lebee4: i got my present job by applying for any civil Engineering job online.
It pay off one night when i connect my modem to seach my yahoomail and a message was sent to me that am having an interview in PH on Monday by 11Am and it was saturday night without a dime on me on in bank.
Sunday evening, i joined a night but to PH from KD and was calling a man i latter know to be d internal control of the COY. i got to PH by 2pm and they've already concluded d interview but the guy i kept calling has already intimate the panel about my coming and they re convene for the interview and i was successful.
although, its not common this way but i thank God for mercy and my unresistable CV for that particular position.
update always.
Kinda sound like mine... smiley Happy for u bro.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by ndcide(m): 3:38pm On Jul 05, 2012
kunletiwoo: Whoever messaged me, I've just replied your massage with the necessary details on how to apply. Good luck

help with the details i'd like to apply.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jul 05, 2012
ndcide:

help with the details i'd like to apply.
Is the Job description in line with what you studied?
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by ndcide(m): 4:56pm On Jul 05, 2012
#*
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jul 05, 2012
ndcide:
I've not seen the job description but with an e/e degree and a few work exposure i should be good to go.
E-mail me on NL... I'll reply u with the details on how to apply.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jul 05, 2012
To make it easier for ppl cos NL isn't allowing me send mails: olakunlemilekan@gmail.com
Thats my E-Mail.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by ndcide(m): 5:36pm On Jul 05, 2012
kunle, i'm not too sure how the NL mail work. though i tried. you may use (my user name)@ yahoo.com coz I've not received any.
thanks
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 05, 2012
ndcide: kunle, i'm not too sure how the NL mail work. though i tried. you may use (my user name)@ yahoo.com coz I've not received any.
thanks
E-mail me now on: "olakunlemilekan@gmail.com" and I will reply u with details... Mind you I close by 6. else u'll have to wait till tomorrow... Body need rest you know now, Island Traffic Jam ahead of me wink

Thanks for your Understanding.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by ndcide(m): 5:43pm On Jul 05, 2012
kunletiwoo: E-mail me now on: "olakunlemilekan@gmail.com" and I will reply u with details... Mind you I close by 6. else u'll have to wait till tomorrow... Body need rest you know now, Island Traffic Jam ahead of me wink

done thanks.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jul 05, 2012
ndcide:

done thanks.
Ok bro. GoodLuck!
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by acidtalk: 8:41am On Jul 06, 2012
kunletiwoo: E-mail me now on: "olakunlemilekan@gmail.com" and I will reply u with details... Mind you I close by 6. else u'll have to wait till tomorrow... Body need rest you know now, Island Traffic Jam ahead of me wink

good job. keep it up.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 8:47am On Jul 06, 2012
acidtalk:

good job. keep it up.
Hmmmm! I see you #Acidtalk#

Good Morning.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by stepo707: 9:32am On Jul 06, 2012
I gat mine through Nairaland jobs/vacancies section as well.But guys if i tel you what i went through ehn, you will weep for me.But thank God i am here now even though its not a dream job but am adding to my experience and morever ididn't spend a day at home.I started work the next day after my POP after NYSC.

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 10:06am On Jul 06, 2012
may God help us all........................in case there is an opening for a quality control analyst, abeg my good people,inbox me kamar.diran@yahoo.co.uk
i am a graduate of applied chemistry.........just through with my nysc......thanks in anticipation.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 06, 2012
NL, Please any job opportunity for me in a telecom company. I have years of experience in Microwave transmission,External cable plant abd DC Power system.pls.contact me on golbergglobal@yahoo.com.I will appreciate ur effort.Thank U...
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 06, 2012
mrgold: NL, Please any job opportunity for me in a telecom company. I have years of experience in Microwave transmission,External cable plant abd DC Power system.pls.contact me on golbergglobal@yahoo.com.I will appreciate ur effort.Thank U...
check ur mail.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 06, 2012
mrgold: NL, Please any job opportunity for me in a telecom company. I have years of experience in Microwave transmission,External cable plant abd DC Power system.pls.contact me on golbergglobal@yahoo.com.I will appreciate ur effort.Thank U...
Brox, the e mail addy u provided isnt correct...Keeps replying with Delivery Error

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nestle Test Format / Stanbic IBTC's Recruitment 2016 / The Untold Stories Of Nigerians Seeking Work In Libya. So Unfortunate!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.