Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,385 members, 7,781,105 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:58 AM

Is It Right For Tenants To Be Given Quit Notice Before The Rent Expires? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Is It Right For Tenants To Be Given Quit Notice Before The Rent Expires? (8625 Views)

My Agent Rented Out My House And Embezzled The Rent / Giving A Quit Notice To A Tenant. / When Is It Right For A Landlord To Give Quit Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For Tenants To Be Given Quit Notice Before The Rent Expires? by wumexfabrics: 6:14pm On Jul 05, 2012
I am a yearly tenant and my rent covers january to december.i still have 6 months unexpired rent but to my surprise my landlord sent a 6 months quit notice to me on the 25th of july asking me to vacate the house on december 31st.i am confused because i thought that quit notice is to be served after the rent has expired.is this kind of quit notice right?
Re: Is It Right For Tenants To Be Given Quit Notice Before The Rent Expires? by omosexy1: 1:10pm On Jul 06, 2012
I think the new tenancy law allows it. But I met with a police man yesterday who said it is not the right practise.
Re: Is It Right For Tenants To Be Given Quit Notice Before The Rent Expires? by Barristerlaw(m): 1:56pm On Jul 06, 2012
wumexfabrics: I am a yearly tenant and my rent covers january to december.i still have 6 months unexpired rent but to my surprise my landlord sent a 6 months quit notice to me on the 25th of july asking me to vacate the house on december 31st.i am confused because i thought that quit notice is to be served after the rent has expired.is this kind of quit notice right?
omosexy1: I think the new tenancy law allows it. But I met with a police man yesterday who said it is not the right practise.
@wummexfabrics.It is the prerogative of the landlord to decide whether to issue quit notice during the pendency of your tenancy or after the expiration of your rent,the contemplation of the law is that a tenant must be given the notice agreed upon by the party or the one required by the law where there is no contrary provisions in the tenancy agreement.By virtue of Tenancy Law of Lagos state 2011,the notice can terminate on or after the date of the expiration of the tenancy.Section 13(4) makes it explicitly clear that the above scenario is in consonance with the law.For clarity the said provision is hereby reproduced:
"(4) Notice for tenants under subsection (1)(c),(d) and (e) of this section need not terminate on the anniversary of the tenancy but may terminate on or after the date of expiration of the tenancy"
@omosexy policemen are most of the time ignorant of the law.a law remains valid whatever the opinion of whoever.for further enquiries send your question(s) to lagoslawgurus@gmail.com,akinolaesq@gmail.com.Your questions will be responded to immediately free of charge

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Tenants To Be Given Quit Notice Before The Rent Expires? by spyceboy(m): 5:30pm On Feb 20, 2015
My case is a perculiar one in dat my quit notice has elasped since Jan 31 dis yr.bt unfortunately i dnt ave d means to move out yet. I av pleaded for some more tym(abt 6mths or less) to organise myself. Hweva my landlord is bent on throwin me out either by law or by wateva means. Pls i need advice.
Re: Is It Right For Tenants To Be Given Quit Notice Before The Rent Expires? by Ryabcool(m): 1:34pm On Nov 18, 2019
Barristerlaw:

@wummexfabrics.It is the prerogative of the landlord to decide whether to issue quit notice during the pendency of your tenancy or after the expiration of your rent,the contemplation of the law is that a tenant must be given the notice agreed upon by the party or the one required by the law where there is no contrary provisions in the tenancy agreement.By virtue of Tenancy Law of Lagos state 2011,the notice can terminate on or after the date of the expiration of the tenancy.Section 13(4) makes it explicitly clear that the above scenario is in consonance with the law.For clarity the said provision is hereby reproduced:
"(4) Notice for tenants under subsection (1)(c),(d) and (e) of this section need not terminate on the anniversary of the tenancy but may terminate on or after the date of expiration of the tenancy"
@omosexy policemen are most of the time ignorant of the law.a law remains valid whatever the opinion of whoever.for further enquiries send your question(s) to lagoslawgurus@gmail.com,akinolaesq@gmail.com.Your questions will be responded to immediately free of charge
with all due respect, you didn't answer the person directly. You just quoted and unquoted, leaving her and even me more confused. A direct answer would have been preferable.

(1) (Reply)

Own A Tent For Your Event Center Business / Joint Ventures In Lagoon Dredging Business / What You Need To Know About Buying Your First Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.