Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,560 members, 7,809,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

What Is The Right Age To Start School? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Right Age To Start School? (36049 Views)

What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? / Right Age To Get Married As A Guy! / What Age Is The Right Age To Have A Child? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Right Age To Start School? by smartmom(f): 7:55pm On Jul 05, 2012
In modern times the school age is reducing daily and it worries me to hear that parents send their babies and toddlers to school as early as 18 months and they expect them to start reading and writing. Hey parents! what happened to play school or simple 4/5 years school age? I fear that with the trend, parents will start sending 1 month old babies to school soon. I honestly want to know the views of experienced parents/educationist here.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 05, 2012
My baby will start school at age 3 - 4 month after my maternity leave. cool cool

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by smartmom(f): 8:04pm On Jul 05, 2012
Vikin: My baby will start school at age 3 - 4 month after my maternity leave. cool cool

See what I mean? angry be very careful or else I shall report you to hm hm hmm, pleaseeeeee, send him to a baby friendly daycare that will allow him to sleep, play and eat in peace

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by blank(f): 9:17am On Jul 06, 2012
Relax. When people say school, it is actually creche or playgroup. Most schools admit children into reception or pre-nursery from 3 years of age. Any other one is just playgroup where they eat, play, dance, listen to music and sleep to their heart's content. Have you ever heard of "ota akara"? Its just a way of saying that you are sending your kid to school to eat akara! i.e creche.

13 Likes

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by smartmom(f): 9:47am On Jul 06, 2012
yes ota akara, I like and dont mind but when the parents begin to gripe and demand that they want to see the ''dividends'' of school fees in the form of reading and writing for toddlers it annoys me. Some even begin to employ lesson teachers so they can catch up

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by smartmom(f): 10:02am On Jul 06, 2012
I also posted here and got a few responses
http://www.nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/topic,50.0.html
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by seasonedmom: 11:36am On Jul 06, 2012
Hmm the issue of how prepared a child is for school is important. Some early starters have so much of school before they are ready that they are burnt out by the time they are really ready for serious schooling. Parents beware of this. On the other hand some kids are just too ready to start schooling you cant keep them off. Those ones fare better. So each child should dictate the pace.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by maclatunji: 4:14pm On Jul 06, 2012
9 months!
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by occam(m): 4:21pm On Jul 06, 2012
4 years. Any age younger it's still day care.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by SpiritofOkija(m): 4:23pm On Jul 06, 2012
1 year
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by StarrMatthieu: 4:23pm On Jul 06, 2012
Nice job!
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by odumchi: 4:24pm On Jul 06, 2012
A child should start school when he/she is in his/her fourth year. I myself started nursery school when I was 3 (although it was my fourth year).
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by http(m): 4:34pm On Jul 06, 2012
My wife wanted my son to start school at 2, but i refuse, due to pressure , i give in after 26month...
I think it depend on the growth of each chil, but i will like them to start at 3.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by maclatunji: 4:35pm On Jul 06, 2012
Spirit of Okija: 1 year

No way! My 9 months was a joke. Ideally, a child should spend at least 2 years at home.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Ramcie(f): 4:53pm On Jul 06, 2012
At age 2. But primary shld be at age 4.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by SpiritofOkija(m): 5:03pm On Jul 06, 2012
maclatunji:

No way! My 9 months was a joke. Ideally, a child should spend at least 2 years at home.

Im serious..

School for me includes Creche.. The kid needs to learn independence from an early age, also how to associate with other kids as well...

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Bontee: 5:03pm On Jul 06, 2012
The normal age should be between 4 - 6 years and anything before that is daycare and this depends on the country's legislation so it will be nice to know what has been stated in the case of Nigeria.

Okay i just got it and it is six years like it is obtained in the western world, the so called nursery schools is not part of our education system and what is allowed only is daycare which should be conducted either in the mothers tongue or future education language ( not compulsory ). In the western world some kids are sent to one year pre-primary school to learn how to write and make them comfortable with their future compulsory education ( not compulsory too).

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jul 06, 2012
kids should start primary school at age of at least 5. any age younger than this should be termed child abuse

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by chucky234(m): 5:13pm On Jul 06, 2012
3 to 4 years when the child's brain is ready for pressure that come with learning.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by UmmRumy(f): 5:19pm On Jul 06, 2012
I believe by 3, a child shd b ready 4 formal learning. They might go 2 school b4 that but it shd b play class where d aim is 2 get them used 2 being around other people & 2 allow them have some independence. Anything else is not only a waste of money but a way of crippling ur child's ability 2 learn. It annoys me when schools conduct interviews 4 admission into play class or pre-nursery.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by mu2sa2: 5:24pm On Jul 06, 2012
In those days u start start school from age 5 years. You go to primary one straight. But it's been bastadised like everything else in this country.
Becos people are misguided many now dump their kids, some only months old, somewhere and go after their own affairs. Sadly, these
kids grow up without parental nurturing. Now we are paying the price for neglecting our children - violent cults in schools, area boys,
yan kalari, armed robbers, boko haram etc. Pls ask yourself, did your parents bring u up the way u are bringing up your kids? Gosh, a child coming
to the world now is coming at the wrong time if the parents are working class - he/she will end up in the hands of some crude househelp.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Icon4s(m): 5:28pm On Jul 06, 2012
My son started d Toddler class @ 1yr 6months. By next sessiön's commencement he'l b in nursery @ 2yrs 6months. By calculation he should b in pry one @ 5yrs 6months which is ok by me. I started my pry sch @ exactly d month I clocked 6yrs, finished my Sec sch 3months b4 I was 18yrs & University Educatiön @ 25 yrs 6months. I never failed. wonder how pple finish @ 21-22yrs!(govt uni).

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by SpiritofOkija(m): 5:34pm On Jul 06, 2012
Icon4s: My son started d Toddler class @ 1yr 6months. By next sessiön's commencement he'l b in nursery @ 2yrs 6months. By calculation he should b in pry one @ 5yrs 6months which is ok by me. I started my pry sch @ exactly d month I clocked 6yrs, finished my Sec sch 3months b4 I was 18yrs & University Educatiön @ 25 yrs 6months. I never failed. wonder how pple finish @ 21-22yrs!(govt uni).

Most people graduate secondary school at 16.. In Nigeria, 15/16 is the benchmark age for graduating secondary sch such that by 22, you should have graduated your Masters degree..

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Ellashow: 5:48pm On Jul 06, 2012
My baby is goin 2 b one nxt month, she's a smart kid and learn quickly but I think dat doesn't mean I shuld enrol her 2 sch nw but a nice daycare wuld do until she's 2yrs b4 she start normal sch.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by donwill: 6:00pm On Jul 06, 2012
mu2sa2: In those days u start start school from age 5 years. You go to primary one straight. But it's been bastadised like everything else in this country.
Becos people are misguided many now dump their kids, some only months old, somewhere and go after their own affairs. Sadly, these
kids grow up without parental nurturing. Now we are paying the price for neglecting our children - violent cults in schools, area boys,
yan kalari, armed robbers, boko haram etc. Pls ask yourself, did your parents brought u up the way u are bringing up your kids? Gosh, a child coming
to the world now is coming at the wrong time if the parents are working class - he/she will end up in the hands of some crude househelp.
u made a nice point.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Princessaleeza: 6:06pm On Jul 06, 2012
School fees is cheaper dan daycare,18 months,2yrs is ok 2 start play group cos d earlier d better.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by 2mch(m): 6:07pm On Jul 06, 2012
When they are ready. It can be 4, 6, and even 20. No matter what you do to force them, an agbero will be an agbero. undecided lipsrsealed
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Jabioro: 6:35pm On Jul 06, 2012
First daughter started sch at age of 9 month,passed her sse at 13.8yr,second started at 10month finish at 14 while d third still sch ss2 at 13.so let them start early u will enjoy it.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Demlad99(m): 6:46pm On Jul 06, 2012
2mch: When they are ready. It can be 4, 6, and even 20. No matter what you do to force them, an agbero will be an agbero. undecided lipsrsealed
lwkmd.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Orikinla(m): 6:48pm On Jul 06, 2012
Once the child can call Mama and Papa aloud and clear and can walk.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Pesuzok(m): 7:48pm On Jul 06, 2012
I finished my second sch at age 15 and got my BEng @ 20yrs. I don't know hw my parents did it, but I am doing the math becos my son has to follow suite. I am thinking of starting him pre nursery at 1yr, then nur 1 at 1yr 6months
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jul 06, 2012
When the right hand can cross over the head and touch the left ear.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

No Friends To Use As Bridesmaids For My Wedding. I'm Deeply Troubled :( / Man Celebrates As His Wife Gives Birth After 17 Years Of Trying (Photos) / My In-laws Driving Me Nuts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.