Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,868 members, 7,802,800 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:52 PM

Review Of My Friends Book - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Review Of My Friends Book (1001 Views)

Review Of Elnathan John's Debut Novel: Born On A Tuesday / My Friends(farewell) / Ode To My Friends Who Died In September 11 2001 Attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Review Of My Friends Book by ira(f): 4:44pm On Dec 02, 2007
http://www.bookreview.com/$spindb.query.listreview2.booknew.17177

I am the self appointed agent for my friend and promise to continously update you with news, be it poetry or prose.

Whoever asked me to

I know but I believe she has great talent that needs to be nurtured.

cheers y'all.
Re: Review Of My Friends Book by ira(f): 4:50pm On Dec 27, 2007
Fiction
Title: A Rose in Bloom
Author: Dr. Ejine Okoroafor-Ezediaro
Rating: Very Good!
Publisher: Trafford
Web Page: www.trafford.com/06-1468
Reviewed by: John Lehman | View Bio
Alternative Health Art Bereavement Biographies and Memoirs Business Children's Books Christian Fiction Christian Non-Fiction Classics Computer Hardware & Software Cookbooks Current Events Decorating Fantasy Fiction Film Feng Shui Hard Science Health and Fitness Historical Novels History Horror Humor Medical Music Mystery - MOST RECENT Mystery A-C Mystery D-F Mystery G-H Mystery I-K Mystery L-N Mystery O-R Mystery S-Z New Age Poetry Politics Psychology Reference Relationships Romance Science Fiction Self Help Senior Citizens Sex and Sexuality Speculative Fiction Spirituality / Religion TravelTextile Art True Crime Teen Fiction Teen Non-Fiction Women's Issues Young Adult Fiction Young Adult Non-Fiction
How to use the database of reviews

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This book takes flight about two-thirds of the way through when its contemporary African heroine, Nkiru, discovers the man she is engaged to is from a family of outcasts (and, from the perspective of her parents, their union would not only condemn them but also any subsequent children they might have). For readers in America or England to understand this culture's values we probably need to read about her less traumatic, earlier challenges: leaving school, going to work camp, the death of one friend and the marriage of another. These seem almost mundane at times but do give us the context so important to the final story.
The front cover, featuring an exuberant painting by Prince I. Nsofor, is gorgeous and the biography of the first time novelist Doctor Ejine Okoroafor-Ezediaro on the back plus the description of the book's contents are very appealing to a reader. The work does deliver on its promise to be a showcase, "a dichotomy of ideas, political as it is personal, as modern as it is traditional and as exotic as it is familiar." What I didn't like was some carelessness on the part of the publisher with regard to paragraphing and the occasional extra spacing between words. A good editor should have caught these as well as the overuse of clichéd phrases and occasionally awkward sentence structure, for example, "It was the first time that she had properly flown away from her parent's nest which was in contrast to her boarding whilst in secondary school when she still was under the tutelage of the teachers and seniors on daily basis."

The author is facile with dialogue, but she tends to zip through earlier episodes of the story without the descriptive detail that might allow readers to experience rather than understand them. The plot is too linear and the kidnapping episode should be more exciting than it is. However, with the last part—the forbidden marriage—there seems to really be something at stake (and some of the earlier information, such as Nkiru's father being badgered by his family to take on an additional wife because his doesn't bare a male heir, provides interesting foreshowing for that same father's interference with Nkiru's choice of husband). The traditions are complex and exploring the nuances of the old and the new is a strong point of "A Rose in Bloom." When background information is presented to us as straight exposition, the writer's story-telling inexperience is apparent, but when it is done to build drama (as happens in those last 150 pages) the story is stirring and memorable. Dr. Okoroafor-Ezediaro is working on a sequel. It will be interesting to follow her growth as a novelist. This is a very promising start.

(1) (Reply)

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie So Briliantly Identifies The Basic Human Problem. / Abuja Reading Group -be Part Of It / SYNW 2016 Creative Writing Workshop Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.