Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,587 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:49 PM

Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? (23341 Views)

New Naira Notes Ready September Ending – CBN / Are You Still In Possession Of Old Naira Notes? / New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by llbhuds: 2:38pm On Jul 06, 2012
Hnmmm Nigeria... i rmemba buying a bottle of coke then for 5kobo and okin biscuit for 2kobo
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by slimyem: 2:42pm On Jul 06, 2012
Ijogz K: I didn't spend much of the Kobo's but i could remember when N5 would buy me rice N3, beans N1 and meat N1..... grin
smallie!!tongue
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jul 06, 2012
engr j: Yes i use it then most time if i don't want to go to school my mum will give me 50kobo. grin

Where is the old 50k note . I remember the beating of my life in 1979 december when my uncle came home from London and gave me 50k to buy sweet. I went to mama Risi selling sweet and gave her the money and gave me a pack of nico sweets...I have distributed the sweets to my friends cos i dey feel like Dangote then not knowing I will get some spanking from my no nonsense mom.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Scarpon(m): 2:54pm On Jul 06, 2012
i felt old for seeing this
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Guapo(m): 3:00pm On Jul 06, 2012
alexola20: Anytime I remember those days in the 80s,I weep for Nigeria.Because things have really gone bad.
My dad use to give us 1k each to school in the early 80s and we used to spend this at break time.
Then from 1k to 5k to 10k to 50k to 2 naira to 5naira to 10 and 20naira.
May God punish all our selfish and greed politicians,most especially the maradona of 9ja(IBB)may God punish him and his family.
Ami! cry

2 Likes

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by bknight: 3:01pm On Jul 06, 2012
Boy o boy!!! Memories!!! You will not understand d extent of damage to our economy if u never used these notes and coins! Smh
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by icez: 3:03pm On Jul 06, 2012
yes o! cheesy
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by freecocoa(f): 3:11pm On Jul 06, 2012
shocked There was half a kobo?

Wow
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by microgiant: 3:17pm On Jul 06, 2012
freecocoa: shocked There was half a kobo?

Wow
yes, but i didn't use it. people stopped accepting it around 1975.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by freecocoa(f): 3:19pm On Jul 06, 2012
microgiant:
hmm

I think the only money i remember vividly here is the 50kobo.cheesy
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by nagoma(m): 3:19pm On Jul 06, 2012
In 1979 the cost of a new airconditioned peugeot 504GL with tinted glas and floor gear was 6,500 Naira. This is about a thousand fold increse in tjhe price.what currency value you will use to buy the car now you will buy 1000 of the same type new cars!
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by ACM10: 3:22pm On Jul 06, 2012
microgiant:

It's not true! I used it in the 80s
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 06, 2012
freecocoa: shocked There was half a kobo?

Wow

there was half kobo back in those days...
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by ebogentle(m): 3:28pm On Jul 06, 2012
And way back in 1977, even before I was born, the one naira was red in colour.

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by mummy3(f): 3:39pm On Jul 06, 2012
@ poster thanks for this gr8t memory.
Naija our beloved country b4
Its now diluted with boko blood
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Rawkey(m): 3:45pm On Jul 06, 2012
Then i buy ojukwu finga nd get change..red biscuit as i call it (cabin)....gone are thosf sweet dayz....
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by mummy3(f): 3:46pm On Jul 06, 2012
I have just remembered something
May be naija wasn’t so good o as at then
We only thought it was good because we were still children and all we needed was provided for us just like the way we provide for our kids now and they may not know if things are difficult.
But now we’ve all grown and now cater for our immediate family responsibilities and now feel naija is very very bad. Though u cant still compare now to before according to our parents

may God help us
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by optimistD(m): 4:06pm On Jul 06, 2012
ACM10:

grin grin grin
I remember when I stumbled on my mum's money. They were about 5 bundles of 20 Naira notes(highest denomination then), 10 bundles of 5 Naira notes and about 10 bundles of mixed 1 Naira and 50 kobo notes. I took only 4 notes of 50 kobo(N2). I went out with my friends painting the town red with kulikuli and sugar cane with only 50 kobo. grin Some people reported me to my mum, who promptly ordered some hefty men to bundle me back home. Thereafter, I was given a beating of my life. Well I took solace in the fact that I have N1:50K left to do big boy for the rest of the week. grin
u b Lawan dat time o! hw cld u hv taken sch huge amount of money? And u were able to exhaust N5? Hm! I jst needed 10k to b motivatd 2go 2sch 4d week. Jst buy 2 agidi jollof wrapd in thos leaves wt bone inside and yellow or red icecream nd u ar a big boy.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by buchai: 4:07pm On Jul 06, 2012
Those days we used 2 see coins on d street even d rusty coins can be cleand wit foot. Dat tym wetin we sabi na kulikuli, danguiya, kulier evn sugar kain u can buy dem wit 10k or 5k, 50k na big moni dt tym, i rememba my primary scool dem, scool fees na btw N20 or N25 den corpers way served in my scool na only white dem dey wear.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by microgiant: 4:08pm On Jul 06, 2012
mummy3: I have just remembered something
May be naija wasn’t so good o as at then
We only thought it was good because we were still children and all we needed was provided for us just like the way we provide for our kids now and they may not know if things are difficult.
But now we’ve all grown and now cater for our immediate family responsibilities and now feel naija is very very bad. Though u cant still compare now to before according to our parents

may God help us

It was definitely better before SAP, trust me. cry cry
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 06, 2012
Ebony my first female friend gave me that one naira note - very clean like this one when i was in primary two, but i refused that my mom will kill me. Na waoh for life. Thanks for sharing. I mean that note with reg no. 730122 which is on front page.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by llbhuds: 4:12pm On Jul 06, 2012
nagoma: In 1979 the cost of a new airconditioned peugeot 504GL with tinted glas and floor gear was 6,500 Naira. This is about a thousand fold increse in tjhe price.what currency value you will use to buy the car now you will buy 1000 of the same type new cars!

my mum bought her brand new suzuki 80 grin grin grin in 1985 for 150 naira
bknight: Boy o boy!!! Memories!!! You will not understand d extent of damage to our economy if u never used these notes and coins! Smh

my school fees den was 10naira for a private school
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by SpiritofOkija(m): 4:18pm On Jul 06, 2012
That 1 Naira note was a classic... The best note we ever had..

I remember those days very well..

Even the 50kobo note..

I wonder how we ever lost that... Today our monies are Polymer.. Children use 1 naira coins to play and amuse each other.

I remember buying buscuits with 50koba and getting some change as at 1989. This is absolute bullshit!!

We need a revolution.. Give me some of that Old time money..

When a graduate had hope..
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by ifihearam: 4:26pm On Jul 06, 2012
Most of you here were not born when these monies were in circulation. So don't cm here and form one kind level oo
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by boladex1: 4:26pm On Jul 06, 2012
the 1/2kobo was stopped in the late 70's
i remember because i started primary school in 76
and i did not spent it
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by olubat: 4:30pm On Jul 06, 2012
Can our economy ever come back top this sweet memories
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by greatgod2012(f): 4:37pm On Jul 06, 2012
yes, i remember vividly,interesting thread for us, but made me laugh at and weep for nigeria, anyway, e go better!
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by vivaciousvivi(f): 4:45pm On Jul 06, 2012
Never knew the half kobo or 1 kobo coins although I may have seen them stored in my dad's drawer at some point years later...not sure. But the 50kobo coin and later 50k notes - mos def. A bottle of coke was 50k in 1988 and that was the first thing I would try to go purchase immediately and Aunt or Uncle dashed me money then. Kai....loved those days. Such nostalgia!
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by alexola20(m): 4:50pm On Jul 06, 2012
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by fortyfeet(m): 4:52pm On Jul 06, 2012
meedx:
You are right. And it was a brownish note.
not brown but more of ash. was my favourite note.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by tuto: 4:52pm On Jul 06, 2012
Remember those niko sweets and malta sweets, naija go better sha
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by GboyegaD(m): 4:55pm On Jul 06, 2012
I remember the days of the 50k note particularly during primary school because if you bring it to school, then you must be a thief. No sane parent back then would give you 50k for breaktime lunch.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

7 Ways To Get Out Of Debt In 2021 / How Inexperienced Tech Personnel In Banks Scuttle Cashless Banking / UBA: What's Killing Your Great Brand?-A FOLLOW UP AFTER MEETING UBA GROUP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.