Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,473 members, 7,781,380 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:29 PM

Ican Vs Anan - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Ican Vs Anan (26239 Views)

ICAN Or ANAN Which One Is More Preferable / Which Is Better Between Acca And Anan / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ican Vs Anan by Nobody: 10:43am On Jul 06, 2012
Someone in the House is Comparing ANAN with ICAN, to the best of my knowledge i think ANAN is an exam that is meant for frustrated Accountant, especially people in the Public and Civil service that cannot pass ICAN, ANAN is no where recognized and you can never see any Professional people claiming that certificate.

As far as i am concern ANAN is an exam that is meant for Frustrated accountant that want to becomes a chartered accountant by force. Please house what is your view on this
Re: Ican Vs Anan by ishmael(m): 7:01am On Jul 07, 2012
I would not say they are frustrated. But most people who go for ANAN were actually doing ICAN before and could n't pass. Check very well, they are mostly university accounting graduates who occupy managerial positions in the civil service, because the private sector does not ask for ANAN certification or certificate.
Re: Ican Vs Anan by nitrogen(m): 7:09pm On Jul 07, 2012
ishmael: I would not say they are frustrated. But most people who go for ANAN were actually doing ICAN before and could n't pass. Check very well, they are mostly university accounting graduates who occupy managerial positions in the civil service, because the private sector does not ask for ANAN certification or certificate.
And your assertion is backed up with facts or just 'dem say'?? i have learnt to stop making inferences when there are no facts to back them up, note that fact is always preceded by collection, organisation, analysis and presentation of datas. So, maybe you should take to that too and stop ranting.
Btw, i consider all as your views since there havent been facts to back them up.

P.S. No offence meant.

1 Like

Re: Ican Vs Anan by ishmael(m): 7:17pm On Jul 07, 2012
nitrogen:
And your assertion is backed up with facts or just 'dem say'?? i have learnt to stop making inferences when there are no facts to back them up, note that fact is always preceded by collection, organisation, analysis and presentation of datas. So, maybe you should take to that too and stop ranting.
Btw, i consider all as your views since there havent been facts to back them up.

P.S. No offense meant.
We don't have the data, because it's not available on the internet. It's "dem say"; but remember there is no smoke without fire.
Re: Ican Vs Anan by PrinceA2: 3:28pm On Jul 29, 2012
To all in the house, ANAN is above your rating. ANAN is a member of the following bodies:

1. Pan African Federation of Accountants (check: http://www.pafa.org.za/membership/

1. International Association for Accounting Education and Research (IAAER) so check http://www.iaaer.org/

1. Extensible Business Reporting Language (check: http://www.xbrl.org/member-assembly)

1. Association of Professional Bodies in Nigeria (APBN) check: http://www.apbnng.com/

1. And others

Dear PC, pls note that both bodies ie ICAN and ANAN are doing fine and now wrking together to regulate Accountancy in Nigeria. Also, to promote the image of this nation outside. Finally, lets stop passing destructive information but constructive.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ican Vs Anan by PrinceA2: 3:34pm On Jul 29, 2012
Pls try to know more of ANAN, i must tell you ANAN members know more of ICAN than some ICAN members. I'm proud of both bodies- ANAN & ICAN. So lets work to move this nation great and stop 'Boko Haram in professionalism'

Finally, its not 100% fact that high failure rate in ICAN is because candidate can not pass,you can ask the Council.
Re: Ican Vs Anan by PrinceA2: 3:45pm On Jul 29, 2012
@Ismael,I hve a book containing adverts placed in the dailies by Private organisations and ANAN certification is required as added advantage for many positions.You can send me your address if u need a copy and for your information, I'm an ANAN member and I have been working for almost a decade in the private sector now.

1 Like

Re: Ican Vs Anan by Mustay(m): 4:22pm On Jul 29, 2012
I've done a research on both and whilst both of them are legally recognised by acts (ANAN was formerly a decree though) both bodies are never exhausted in the supremacy battle.

ICAN was founded before ANAN and both bodies have "literally been sworn enemies". The coming up of any 'rival' body is usually seen as a threat to ICAN's dominance. Well, iRemember ACCA also had similar issues with ICAEW in UK.

A former president of ANAN once said "I don't share the view that they (ICAN) are better than us" while ICAN prayed to a Federal High Court in 2007 to set aside the ANAN decree of 1993.

It's wrong to judge them as 'frustrated graduates' for the peculiarity of becoming an ANAN members requires the candidates to be graduates (ANAN considers ICAN's prerequisites as lax) who must also enroll in the institute's college and proceed for a programme called Accountancy-In-Training.

Before 1993, only ICAN members were legally regared as auditors. Am however a follower of the dogma of "making the best use of what you got". Once students begin or enroll for a professional exam, they begin to question its supposed worth, popularity and the likes. Being a member of a professional body does not "imply (in)directly that superior performance can be expected from such person".

The bodies have different processes and while everyone is entitled to his/her opinion on which they think is better, I don't support limiting access to education. Whichever one finds convenient, let it suit him/her.

For example, I'd rather a sit-at-home UTME candidate or a medical doctor/ graduate engineer who has the interest enroll for ICAN exams while my brother may prefer 'strictly accountants' for ANAN.

4 Likes

Re: Ican Vs Anan by kellyjessy1gma: 11:34am On Feb 14, 2013
Does any one need ICAN Tutorials?
Contact Topfield Tutors for ICAN ATS, Foundation Intermediate and PE I in Lagos, Quiz Packs available
1, Onasanya Close, Awodi Ora, Ajegunle, Apapa, Lagos
Call 08020647499, 07041850660
or Email: gbolaboonasanya@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Ican Vs Anan by chuksydi: 7:13pm On Mar 16, 2015
Mustay:
I've done a research on both and whilst both of them are legally recognised by acts (ANAN was formerly a decree though) both bodies are never exhausted in the supremacy battle.

ICAN was founded before ANAN and both bodies have "literally been sworn enemies". The coming up of any 'rival' body is usually seen as a threat to ICAN's dominance. Well, iRemember ACCA also had similar issues with ICAEW in UK.

A former president of ANAN once said "I don't share the view that they (ICAN) are better than us" while ICAN prayed to a Federal High Court in 2007 to set aside the ANAN decree of 1993.

It's wrong to judge them as 'frustrated graduates' for the peculiarity of becoming an ANAN members requires the candidates to be graduates (ANAN considers ICAN's prerequisites as lax) who must also enroll in the institute's college and proceed for a programme called Accountancy-In-Training.

Before 1993, only ICAN members were legally regared as auditors. Am however a follower of the dogma of "making the best use of what you got". Once students begin or enroll for a professional exam, they begin to question its supposed worth, popularity and the likes. Being a member of a professional body does not "imply (in)directly that superior performance can be expected from such person".

The bodies have different processes and while everyone is entitled to his/her opinion on which they think is better, I don't support limiting access to education. Whichever one finds convenient, let it suit him/her.

For example, I'd rather a sit-at-home UTME candidate or a medical doctor/ graduate engineer who has the interest enroll for ICAN exams while my brother may prefer 'strictly accountants' for ANAN.

Well, I'll say (without any form of prejudice) that it is an undisprovable fact that dia is no comparison between ican and anan interms of syallbus and even exam structure. Being marked by lectuers whom u are likely to know at a personal level does not seem objective to me. Also not going to mention names, but I know 2 past anan past presidents who not only failed to qualify as aca's but still have dia names in ican student list. I also have compared both past questions at the professional level and I can say dat dia is no basis for comparion. I would rate de anan exams at best equivalent to AATWA, no offense. If anan wants to be more regarded, it should swallow de idea dat accounting practise is not limited to bsc.accounting. Afterall the famous frank wood read economics nd simply chaterd!ps
Re: Ican Vs Anan by Mustay(m): 8:41am On Mar 17, 2015
chuksydi:

If anan wants to be more regarded, it should swallow de idea dat accounting practise is not limited to bsc.accounting

I totally agree with this.
Re: Ican Vs Anan by uisaeedkby(m): 2:38am On Apr 15, 2015
Pls can someone help me with information on how to successfully get registered with ICAN and how to apply for exemptions. I am Bsc. Accounting holder from Ican accredited university but am currently serving my dear country (NYSC Member). Looking forward to hear from you shortly. Thanks!
Re: Ican Vs Anan by Shakur94(m): 6:55am On Jan 13, 2016
ANAN trains and set exams for their students which is advantageous considering how the reading culture is in Nigeria,the advantage ANAN has over ICAN is the college, don't write us off yet cos the IFAC came in to see for theirselves what they have been hearing about our college.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ican Vs Anan by Ezugwu77: 7:16pm On Jan 25, 2018
gentle men, if ICAN will adopt the style of ANAN I will be very proud of them, I don't see were somebody will be referring to ANAN members as a frustrated accountant, is it because ICAN has favoured them by allowing others with out Bsc in Accounting to register? i am very mad at ICAN for that. some body who studied religion will want to write ICAN y can't they go to LAW school or write medical professional exams. i don't blame them it is because ICAN has given them d previlage that's y they have mouth to talk. am not an ANAN member or ICAN just an Accounting student aspiring to be one of them.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ican Vs Anan by Ezugwu77: 7:25pm On Jan 25, 2018
for them to have passed all the required exams in obtaining BSc Accounting, it is not easy, and there for they are not frustrated.
Re: Ican Vs Anan by offiong123: 8:22am On Jul 28, 2018
Pls can someone help me on the procedures of enrolling into anan school and the school fees? I'm a graduate of accounting. Pls any info on this can be sent to micahoffiong5@gmail.com.
Re: Ican Vs Anan by Nobody: 3:42pm On May 25, 2019
Ezugwu77:
gentle men, if ICAN will adopt the style of ANAN I will be very proud of them, I don't see were somebody will be referring to ANAN members as a frustrated accountant, is it because ICAN has favoured them by allowing others with out Bsc in Accounting to register? i am very mad at ICAN for that. some body who studied religion will want to write ICAN y can't they go to LAW school or write medical professional exams. i don't blame them it is because ICAN has given them d previlage that's y they have mouth to talk. am not an ANAN member or ICAN just an Accounting student aspiring to be one of them.
Seun will not agree with you probably he is a member (ICAN).
Re: Ican Vs Anan by Nobody: 10:42pm On Sep 07, 2019
[quote author=Mustay post=11611456]I've done a research on both and whilst both of them are legally recognised by acts (ANAN was formerly a decree though) both bodies are never exhausted in the supremacy battle.

For example, I'd rather a sit-at-home UTME candidate or a medical doctor/ graduate engineer who has the interest enroll for ICAN exams while my brother may prefer 'strictly accountants' for ANAN.[/quote]
What do you mean?
Re: Ican Vs Anan by Nobody: 10:44pm On Sep 07, 2019
chuksydi:

Well, I'll say (without any form of prejudice) that it is an undisprovable fact that dia is no comparison between ican and anan interms of syallbus and even exam structure. Being marked by lectuers whom u are likely to know at a personal level does not seem objective to me. Also not going to mention names, but I know 2 past anan past presidents who not only failed to qualify as aca's but still have dia names in ican student list. I also have compared both past questions at the professional level and I can say dat dia is no basis for comparion. I would rate de anan exams at best equivalent to AATWA, no offense. If anan wants to be more regarded, it should swallow de idea dat accounting practise is not limited to bsc.accounting. Afterall the famous frank wood read economics nd simply chaterd!ps
Has ICAEW changed from admitting only accounting graduate?
Re: Ican Vs Anan by Nobody: 10:47pm On Sep 07, 2019
Shakur94:
ANAN trains and set exams for their students which is advantageous considering how the reading culture is in Nigeria,the advantage ANAN has over ICAN is the college, don't write us off yet cos the IFAC came in to see for theirselves what they have been hearing about our college.
Is that why ICAN wants to introduce university?
Re: Ican Vs Anan by Mustay(m): 8:37pm On Sep 08, 2019
[quote author=asuustrike1 post=82019667][/quote]

ANAN believes that professional accounting is solely for accountants or accounting graduates, they don't believe it's an all comers affair. That's why their admission process is more rigid than ICAN's. In today's world, I don't think that matters. A lot of science graduates have become Chartered Accountants and they come with a different mindset that helps the profession rather than having one way traffic.

Whatever works for each body is okay but I believe in making education easily accessible not unnecessarily restrictive. Today, some guys are trying to put some courses like calculus online and making sure it's accredited to solve the 'expensive' maths problem.
Re: Ican Vs Anan by Nobody: 8:54pm On Sep 08, 2019
Mustay:

ANAN believes that professional accounting is solely for accountants or accounting graduates, they don't believe it's an all comers affair. That's why their admission process is more rigid than ICAN's. In today's world, I don't think that matters. A lot of science graduates have become Chartered Accountants and they come with a different mindset that helps the profession rather than having one way traffic.

Whatever works for each body is okay but I believe in making education easily accessible not unnecessarily restrictive. Today, some guys are trying to put some courses like calculus online and making sure it's accredited to solve the 'expensive' maths problem.
OK
Re: Ican Vs Anan by Gideon2011: 7:29pm On Apr 08, 2023
Those writing useless comment here about ANAN rants based on ignorance. I'm ANAN member and have worked for four biggest and topmost multinationals in managerial capacity both Finance, Accounts and Audit.

The problem with some of those writing rubbish here are the ones that are yet to get their bearings.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Employers Risk One-month Imprisonment For Late Payment Of Salaries / Please Advise: What Should Be My Reply To My Boss / Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.