Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,295 members, 7,780,693 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:46 PM

Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? (1726 Views)

Tecno L5 Review: Why I Think It Is Worth The Hype. / Bbm For Android And Iphone Is Here / Check The Network Your Iphone Is Locked To (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by alleno: 7:45am On Dec 03, 2007
Hey,

iphone users, please let me know what you think, here is a list of the issues i have with the iphone, is it really worth the hype.

No SMS forwarding
No Multiple Recipients SMS
Can't automatically sync Contacts from Sim card
No GPRS
No Games (Offline)
Ringtones have to be paid for
No Bluetooth
No MP3 Ringtones
and some other ones,

Besides this, its a really great piece of hardware,
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by spicy007(f): 1:17pm On Dec 03, 2007
hi,
in order to get ur contacts, you need to upload them to ur Microsoft Outlook.
then , download iTunes from the internet (PLEASE, DO NOT UPGRADE IT TO VERSION 7.2 OR THIS WILL DESTROY UR PHONE).

The issue i'm having is downloading documents to the the phone.

u can check apple.com/iphone for FAQs.
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by texazzpete(m): 5:42pm On Dec 03, 2007
alleno:

Hey,

iphone users, please let me know what you think, here is a list of the issues i have with the iphone, is it really worth the hype.

No SMS forwarding
Can't automatically sync Contacts from Sim card
No GPRS
No Games (Offline)
Ringtones have to be paid for
No Bluetooth
No MP3 Ringtones
and some other ones,

Besides this, its a really great piece of hardware,

You really don't know much about the current state of 3rd party apps on the iphone, do you?

1) There's GPRS. WTH? I've used glo and mtn gprs on the iphone before
2) There are 3rd party apps to import contacts from sim card, to import ringtones (free), to forward SMS and send multiple SMS
3) there are numerous games available offline for the iphone, including solitaire, sudoku, snake and many others. On the way are 3d games. Also the iphone has a nes and gameboy advance emulators working pretty well onit, and playstation and SNES emus are being worked on right now. I'd say gamng is well covered already

In summary, you need to do more with your iphone. The world has moved on and left you behind. catch up!
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by alleno: 8:31am On Dec 04, 2007
texazzpete:

You really don't know much about the current state of 3rd party apps on the iphone, do you?

1) There's GPRS. WTH? I've used glo and mtn gprs on the iphone before
2) There are 3rd party apps to import contacts from sim card, to import ringtones (free), to forward SMS and send multiple SMS
3) there are numerous games available offline for the iphone, including solitaire, sudoku, snake and many others. On the way are 3d games. Also the iphone has a nes and gameboy advance emulators working pretty well onit, and playstation and SNES emus are being worked on right now. I'd say gamng is well covered already

In summary, you need to do more with your iphone. The world has moved on and left you behind. catch up!

@texazzpete

, sure you don't really get me.
why do you need all of that on 3rd party applications, i mean you don't need to do all of that on Nokia,
and if you really have deeper knowledge (that was not a YAB!) about Phone programming, you'll know
that for Apple to have included that would have required only a line of CODE,

Good as the iPhone 3rd party Appz may be, Apple will tell you that you are using 3rd party Appz at your own risk.
Why did they not just make it possible to use your iTunes songs as ringtones, you really should browse to see
the Chinese/Japanese version of the iPhone, thats what they could have done but they did not just so they could
introduce them one after the other and rip people of. Do check again and then let me know what you feel, texazzpete
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by texazzpete(m): 9:15am On Dec 04, 2007
alleno:

@texazzpete

, sure you don't really get me.
why do you need all of that on 3rd party applications, i mean you don't need to do all of that on Nokia,
and if you really have deeper knowledge (that was not a YAB!) about Phone programming, you'll know
that for Apple to have included that would have required only a line of CODE,

Good as the iPhone 3rd party Appz may be, Apple will tell you that you are using 3rd party Appz at your own risk.
Why did they not just make it possible to use your iTunes songs as ringtones, you really should browse to see
the Chinese/Japanese version of the iPhone, thats what they could have done but they did not just so they could
introduce them one after the other and rip people of. Do check again and then let me know what you feel, texazzpete

The iPhone may not do many of these things out of the box (It can do GPRS out of the box, contrary to what you say) but it sure can do many things Nokia phones can't do.
There is no Chinese version of the iPhone, unless of course you're calling a knockoff imitator a 'version' of the iPhone. Not the same thing.

And yes, it's worth the Hype. It's $399 only, compared to $700 for the Nokia N95. Go figure.
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by kosovo(m): 9:34am On Dec 04, 2007
hmmmmmmmmmmmm
(comment withheld)
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by gilgee(m): 2:26pm On Dec 05, 2007
The phone is a great phone, the best I have ever seen.
regards to your question;

Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype?
« on: December 03, 2007, 07:45 AM »
Hey,

No SMS forwarding- There is a 3rd party app called SMSD, its downloadable from the software update app.
Can't automatically sync Contacts from Sim card:- Check same Software update app or better still sync with your MS outlook.
No GPRS: Edge is there.
No Games (Offline):- There are loads and loads of games downloadable from various 3rd party sites and also the software update app.
Ringtones have to be paid for: You could create and upload free ringtones using Ifuntastic and Itoner softwares. They are shareware softwares (not completely free, but its up for 7 free ringtones trial). (Only mac compatible, so you must own a mac sys).
No Bluetooth:- With an app called "Drop Copy", you can share files with other Iphone. Note: Only Iphones.

No MP3 Ringtones and some other ones: Not necessary.

Besides this, its a really great piece of hardware: You are right, its a great phone. Apple did a great and fantastic job.
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by Ezinwannem: 9:50pm On Dec 05, 2007
@texazzpete, Iphone is only 399 if u r getting it as a 3 yr contract with AT AND T if not, it cost 700 bucks, so derefore, NOKIA N95 is cheaper, I like both phones but am going with IPHONE,
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by logica(m): 9:36pm On Apr 06, 2008
well, i was hoping this topic would draw more replies,

"iPhone is only 399 if you're getting it as a 3 yr contract with AT AND T if not, it cost 700 bucks",

um, where did u get that from?
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by texazzpete(m): 10:58pm On Apr 06, 2008
old topic. You haven't been monitoring this section, have you?

anyway, i'll go out on a limb and say the iphone is certainly an excellent device to own. The hype surrouinding its release was enormous, so i can't say anything could ever possibly live up to that.

I've used a Trium 110, N-gage, 6600, 6630, Xda Mini and a HTC Tytn before the iPhone, and as far as i'm concerned the iPhone is the most fun of them all.
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by logica(m): 11:42pm On Apr 06, 2008
nope texaspete, i haven't.

has anybody tried the 1.2.0 (dubbed the 2.0) firmware yet? i'm about 2 give it a shot.

anyway back 2 the list of "complaints", i will only respond to those that require any response:

Ringtones:
http://www.wired.com/software/coolapps/news/2007/09/ringtone_hacks

with this hack u can make your own ringtones, from the date of the article, u can c how long this has been known.

Bluetooth:
it does have bluetooth support, but what's missing is OBEX or some other protocols based on bluetooth, that permit file transfer. I really don't c the need for OBEX when most recent phones have WIFI support.
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by texazzpete(m): 6:12am On Apr 07, 2008
@logica
Don't try the 2.0 beta yet, man! it's buggy as hell and 99.99% of people who try it end up going back to 1.1.4/3.
Best to wait until the June releaseq
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by naijafan(m): 5:02pm On Apr 07, 2008
texazzpete:

I've used a Trium 110, N-gage, 6600, 6630, Xda Mini and a HTC Tytn before the iPhone, and as far as i'm concerned the iPhone is the most fun of them all.

LOL, no pun intented but i could make a similar statement.

I've used a Sendo wateva, Nokia 9210i, 6630, N70 and 1110i before the N82, and as far as i'm concerned the N82 is the most fun of them all. cheesy

of course the iPhone has to be the most fun of those devices you mentioned. wink

now texazzpete must be fuming. 'abeg no vex' grin
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by logica(m): 5:45pm On Apr 07, 2008
i actually cannot even try it yet since pwnage for windows isn't out yet, it's most likely buggy because the jailbreak/unlock code designed for the 1.x.x series is being used, it's probably more stable with pwnage.
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by Neoteny(m): 6:29pm On Apr 07, 2008
IVE TRIED IT!. first attempt, missing baseband cos it was unlocked with ilibertyx before and the restore i did in recovery mode DID NOT REMOVE THE PATCH. did a downgrade, restore in DFU and then neutered. its not unstable, infact it seems to boot faster than ever. got the appstore icon but cant access the store.

since its on a time restriction i went back to 1.1.4 and the bootloader is still showing 3.9.
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by logica(m): 6:42pm On Apr 07, 2008
i guess because it's beta they didn't bother 2 include the updates for bb and bl,

& probably boots faster cos the processor clock speed was increased, as u may know, the processor in the 1.x.x series can actually clock higher than it's presently clocked, the speed was slightly raised in the 1.1.2 upgrade as a matter of fact.
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by Neoteny(m): 6:51pm On Apr 07, 2008
or maybe because its beta meant for testing out apps, its not running some relatively unessential backgroud services. im just happy apple has released interface builder, will make working with xcode far easier. im looking at some app making, already working on one.

meanwhile did you know quake 3 was ported over to the iphone? not that lame quake 1 nokia fans gloat over, i mean 3? check here

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Quake-3-Ported-to-iPhone-iPod-Touch-82673.shtml

or better yet, try this

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Soon-You-039-ll-Be-Playing-Console-Quality-Games-on-Your-iPhone-82190.shtml
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by logica(m): 7:13pm On Apr 07, 2008
i am actually more interested in having java on the iphone, if sun had not stepped up, i was thinking of porting the jvm.

and with the 1.2.0 update, i think what i will do is to first restore to 1.1.4, then virginize (or simplify things by using the revert function of ZiPhone to reverse the jailbreak/unlock) so as to remove the bb patch, before trying to update to 1.2.0.
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by texazzpete(m): 7:32pm On Apr 07, 2008
naijafan:

LOL, no pun intented but i could make a similar statement.

I've used a Sendo whatever, Nokia 9210i, 6630, N70 and 1110i before the N82, and as far as i'm concerned the N82 is the most fun of them all. cheesy

of course the iPhone has to be the most fun of those devices you mentioned. wink

now texazzpete must be fuming. 'abeg no vex' grin

Naijafan
I think we've smoked the pipe of peace before, so no need to war with u again.
but if you think ALL the other phones i've used are inferior, google HTC TytN and think again.
For business users it blows the N82 out of the water.
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by texazzpete(m): 7:33pm On Apr 07, 2008
@Neoteny
I've opened an 'Iphone Killer Apps' thread. it's somewhere down on this page. Let's keep that active!!

Yeah, i heard about the Quake 3 on sunday. can't wait for the release!!
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by Neoteny(m): 7:40pm On Apr 07, 2008
texazzpete:

@Neoteny
I've opened an 'Iphone Killer Apps' thread. it's somewhere down on this page. Let's keep that active!!

Yeah, i heard about the Quake 3 on sunday. can't wait for the release!!

w007! will surely be active right there. see what people are doing with rthe accelerometer? meanwhile one of the coolest interfaces ive seen on a non-official 3rd party app is smartRSS. this dudes are really utilizing core animation, makes you wonder what they can accomplish with the official SDK and all the support documentation thrown in.

logica:

i am actually more interested in having java on the iphone, if sun had not stepped up, i was thinking of porting the jvm.

and with the 1.2.0 update, i think what i will do is to first restore to 1.1.4, then virginize (or simplify things by using the revert function of ZiPhone to reverse the jailbreak/unlock) so as to remove the bb patch, before trying to update to 1.2.0.

i wont lie to you, man, but everyday i rack my brains for exactly what good java is for you and i keep coming up blanks. sure, portability and cross platform is all that, but frankly i cant see java as a storm, its too slow, does 3D poorly and is getting upped by its competition. its overhyped, underpowered and unwieldy.

and thats from my experience of it.

i tried that ziphone refurbish thingy and all it did was deactivate the phone, but the unlock remained. so what i do is i erase baseband first and then restore. how do you get it to work for you?

ps: mostly i run it from cmd.
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by logica(m): 8:00pm On Apr 07, 2008
with java? well, i'm thinking java MIDlets, i'm more of a business software oriented person, and as an architect, i would like 2 develop apps that i know can be widely supported with minimal need for porting, then i would simply be able 2 use the same app i developed for other phones that support the CLDC/MIDP.

i have not had 2 flash my bb since i've been using the ZiPhone but what i noticed was, once u've used the ZiPhone, the phone stays unlocked. As in if u do a restore, u will find that your foreign SIMs will still be recognized (even though the phone is no longer jailbroken). It's like a bird in a cage, and locked in chains. The bird's locks have been taken off, but it's still in the cage. this has been attributed to the method used by geohot, which several other unlock utils are based on.
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by naijafan(m): 8:31pm On Apr 07, 2008
texazzpete:

Naijafan
I think we've smoked the pipe of peace before, so no need to war with u again.
but if you think ALL the other phones i've used are inferior, google HTC TytN and think again.
For business users it blows the N82 out of the water.

LOL. . . Its a freaking Windows Mobile device. I've used one for a month and damn, I'd rather die with Symbian 9.2 S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 than use Windows Mobile 6. grin
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by Neoteny(m): 10:24pm On Apr 07, 2008
symbian can never match windows mobile, which can never match os x. thankfully ive used phones based on all OS and i can confidently stay away from symbian.

but then, one man's meat, eh?
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by texazzpete(m): 10:27pm On Apr 07, 2008
@Neoteny
Exactly!!
After going windows mobile, i found going back to Symbian a pain. It's a pity many people here on NL give bad advice (i.e buy only Nokia!!) when WM phones are actually as good, if not better.

wonder why it took iPhone to kick Nokia in the arse to start work on touchscreen Symbian. UIQ doesn't count!
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:20am On Apr 09, 2008
Oh you guys have made me see the possibilities in the iphone. Its a great shiny toy to work upon. I love things like this. I think i'd get one, how much is it in naira ?
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by hayprof(m): 11:45am On Apr 09, 2008
adewaleafolabi:

. . . I think i'd get one, how much is it in naira ?

shocked shocked shocked . . the Eagle has Landed!
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Mar 07, 2010
hey, I must tell you that The phone really worth the hype, its so so wonderful, you can qoute me anywhere, with lovely games and application
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by kosovo(m): 4:29pm On Mar 07, 2010
texazzpete:

@Neoteny
Exactly!!
After going windows mobile, i found going back to Symbian a pain. It's a pity many people here on NL give bad advice (i.e buy only Nokia!!) when WM phones are actually as good, if not better.

wonder why it took iPhone to kick Nokia in the arse to start work on touchscreen Symbian. UIQ doesn't count!
I beg to differ. WM is trash.
Re: Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? by seyewest(m): 4:56am On Apr 14, 2010
Yes it worth it,

(1) (Reply)

Mtn Recharge Fraud! / Device Financing From MTN / New 2go Latest Version - 2go Mobile Application Download Latest Version

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.