Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,403 members, 7,808,445 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:00 PM

Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title (7506 Views)

Serena Williams Wins Her Sixth Wimbledon Title / Serena Williams Wins 18th Grand Slam Title / Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by Piro4rl(m): 4:50pm On Jul 07, 2012
Serena Williams have won the Wimbledon 2012. Congratulation!

[img]http://www.trbimg.com/img-4ff85aa6/turbine/la-sp-sn-wimbledon-serena-williams-20120707-001/600[/img]
Serena Williams, who had already eliminated defending Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova and second-seeded Victoria Azarenka, who had won this season's first major title at the Australian Open, took down third-seeded Agnieszka Radwanska on Saturday to win her fifth Wimbledon title and her career 14th major championship.

Williams, who had last won a Grand Slam title here two years ago, first overpowered and then outlasted the 23-year-old Radwanska, 6-3, 5-7, 6-2. Radwanska was playing in her first Grand Slam final.

Shortly after Williams, 30, dominated the 2010 Wimbledon championships, she had a foot injury that required surgery and then a pulmonary embolism that combined to keep her away from tennis for almost a year.

PHOTOS: Serena Williams wins 14th major title

She made her return to majors tennis here a year ago but was upset in the fourth round. Williams suffered an unexpectedly decisive loss in the finals of the 2011 U.S. Open to Samantha Stosur, then lost in the fourth round of the 2012 Australian Open and in the first round of the French Open last May.

But Williams, seeded sixth, overpowered the field here. In the second game of the second set against the Radwanska, Williams set a new Wimbledon women's record with her 90th ace and that stellar serving kept all her opponents off balance.

Williams got better as the tournament progressed. She survived 25th-seeded Jie Zheng of China by winning 6-7 (5), 6-2, 9-7 in the third round and she needed all three sets to win her fourth-round match against Yaroslava Shvedova, 6-2, 2-6, 7-5.

It seemed as if Williams was on the way to a blowout win when she broke Radwanska at love in the third game of the second set.

PHOTOS: Serena Williams wins 14th major title

But Williams began to have shaky moments. The first came in the eighth game of the second set when Radwanska got her first break of Williams' serve. After Williams missed a forehand wide, the Centre Court erupted in noise when the second set was evened at 4-4.

And Radwanska broke Williams again to win the second. Williams had a double fault in that game and the final point was a nervous Williams backhand into the net.

When Radwanska held serve to begin the third set, it was the first time the Polish player was ahead in the match.

Williams had two break point chances to take an early lead in the third set. But Radwanska forced Williams into a forehand error to save one and hit a backhand winner to save the second. That was followed by a service winner and a wide Williams backhand, so Radwanska stayed ahead 2-1.

But Williams seemed to get a second wind in the fourth game of the final set, when she held serve with four consecutive aces. That was followed by the first service break in the third set, the most notable shot being a Williams forehand smash that gave her the break point.

Williams consolidated that break and took a 4-2 lead by holding serve at 15. And she broke Radwanska again with an unexpected drop shot during a hard-hitting rally for a 5-2 advantage.

The winning shot was a backhand winner and her fifth Wimbledon title ties her with her sister, Venus.

Source

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by stolenstone: 5:27pm On Jul 07, 2012
thats my girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats!

2 Likes

Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by ejifranks(m): 5:32pm On Jul 07, 2012
My Sister From Another Mother,,.Big ups to her. A big consolation to her sister Venus who suffered her worst title defeat at this same Wimbledon title.. smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jul 07, 2012
Congratulations!!!

She almost disappointed me in second set
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by lacasa: 5:37pm On Jul 07, 2012
She is too muscular 4d girls

She should be playing wt people her size in ϑ men's division wink
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by arkitekt: 5:38pm On Jul 07, 2012
Congrats serena, luv u and proud of u...a nice come back, keep it up maam.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by sholay2011(m): 5:40pm On Jul 07, 2012
congrats!!!!
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by toluxe0075: 5:41pm On Jul 07, 2012
Congrat williams!! Dat means federer will win tomorrow cheesy
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by edoyad(m): 5:45pm On Jul 07, 2012
lacasa: She is too muscular 4d girls

She should be playing wt people her size in ϑ men's division wink

Too what ? Have you seen those Bakas before ?
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jul 07, 2012
Fed should whup Andy's asss. grin
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by skinnyolawale(m): 5:52pm On Jul 07, 2012
congrajulation my girlfriend
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by odedipapa(m): 5:55pm On Jul 07, 2012
Good for her.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by shaneroberts26: 6:00pm On Jul 07, 2012
toluxe0075: Congrat williams!! Dat means federer will win tomorrow cheesy
.He must win oh.Dont kno y i so much lov Serena and Roger.D guy is 2 down-to-earf.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by shaneroberts26: 6:02pm On Jul 07, 2012
skinnyolawale: congrajulation my girlfriend
.B careful yungman,dats ma gurl u r talkin abou'.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by chucky234(m): 6:10pm On Jul 07, 2012
Congrats
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by JoeBatters: 6:46pm On Jul 07, 2012
My girl has made me proud....congrates
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by omodapson(m): 6:48pm On Jul 07, 2012
Congrats girl! Let's make it double with the women's double later today.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by funshint(m): 6:49pm On Jul 07, 2012
Its time they make a car 4 dis chick...Toyota Serena!

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by Emilord(m): 7:05pm On Jul 07, 2012
I Love these WILLAMS sisters,..very talented...CONGRATULATIONS!!!u make ur parents feèl on-top of d world goodness(guiness)lol
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by jamace(m): 7:16pm On Jul 07, 2012
Congrats, my gurl! kiss
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by cap28: 7:18pm On Jul 07, 2012
I love these sisters!
Congrats serena continue to do us proud. your dad really made both of u winners
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by PlayLover: 7:22pm On Jul 07, 2012
WATCH VIDEO HERE VIDEO: Serena Williams beats Agnieszka Radwanska during the 2012 Wimbledon final:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj03JYQ1o1k
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by Dhelake: 7:23pm On Jul 07, 2012
toluxe0075: Congrat williams!! Dat means federer will win tomorrow cheesy
i pray so
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by luvmijeje(f): 7:24pm On Jul 07, 2012
WHOOO!am so so happy.Serena Jameka William am so proud of u.What else could I write,is it about thoes aces d highest record ever in d tournament,ur speed at age 30,dat beautiful lob in d 3rd set.CONGRATS ON UR 14TH GRANDSLAM,HEART U.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by chuzyemx: 7:31pm On Jul 07, 2012
dtas so cute babe,luv ya
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by otokx(m): 7:37pm On Jul 07, 2012
congratulations, truth be told though she is on her last leg.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by Tczar(m): 7:38pm On Jul 07, 2012
Congrat
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by Lovren(m): 8:13pm On Jul 07, 2012
This is simple mathematics guys.. Body wieght + Arm strenght / the tennis ball.. Simply equals = A 122 miles per hour forehand grand strokes and 115 miles per hour backhand crosscourt passing shots.. Joined together with some unbelivable Aces and incredible movement, awareness on the court.. If it had me... AS A TENNIS PLAYER AVE GOT ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE... Even u.. Yes u..
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by edakedkay: 8:15pm On Jul 07, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Fed should whup Andy's asss. grin
my money is on Andy pls
Re: Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title by Bright2(m): 9:39pm On Jul 07, 2012
Nice 1 wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Ecuador: 2022 International Friendly Fri 3rd June Time: 1:30am / AFCON 2012: Botswana Vs Guinea (1 - 6) On January 28th 2012 / Nigeria-Korea Republic (Fifa U17 Womens WC Quarter Final) Ended 5 - 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.