Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

NUC Shuts Down ESUT And ABSU Satellite Campuses In Aba - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NUC Shuts Down ESUT And ABSU Satellite Campuses In Aba (10230 Views)

Top 6 Most Beautiful University Campuses In Nigeria (photos) / Lecturers Promise To End Sexual Harassment & Extortion Of Students On Campuses / For Unizik, Imsu, Futo, Ansu, Unn, Esut, And Absu Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NUC Shuts Down ESUT And ABSU Satellite Campuses In Aba by Korrection(m): 8:07am On Jul 09, 2012
Im crying out of lafta....Nl's one day pesin go just faint online.....thank you for this free lafff........jeeezzzz ur sometinelse...gawd oh!!!!1
exxell: Is this the version of English we are using now or the one yet to be commissioned by GEJ in 2015 when the amount of half-baked graduates and undergraduates in Nigeria must have tripled? Please, this thing resembles broken German or even Russian. Its very far from English!
Re: NUC Shuts Down ESUT And ABSU Satellite Campuses In Aba by jenti: 9:47am On Jul 09, 2012
Ezira:
My dear Jenti, talk is cheap. The best way to change a system in rot is to lead the change yourself. From your propositions, I understand you are a stake-holder. To criticize is so easy in this part of the world. You keep calling Prof. Okojie when you know accreditation is done by professors like you who are not NUC staff based on BMAS (benchmark minimum academic standard). Their technical report can't be changed because it is always an open document. All NUC does is to release the result submitted by these experts from various universities.
Also note that there are two types of accreditation, full and interim. If a programme is fully accredited, it would be revalidated every five years. This is why some accredited courses may be denied accreditation after sometime if the quality had reduced over time. When interim accreditation is granted, this means that about 60 per cent of all the requirements are met, the panel will point out areas not met to the university who would be given 3 years to put everything in order or be denied accreditation.
You talked about satellite campuses. Let me tell you that what is seen in these satellites can make someone cry. No facilities, no qualified teaching staff, they use secondary school teachers who just give areas of concentration and conduct exams based on that. You goofed when you mentioned America as having satellite campuses. What you have is open and distance learning which most Nigerian VCs have refused to embrace because they are not interested in long term plans. That said, there are six recognized dual mode universities in Nigeria (MAULAG,OAU,UNIBADAN,UNIABUJA,UNIMAID and Modibbu Adama UT Yola). These universities established Distance Learning Centres and use the ODL mode. There is also a unimode ODL university (the NOUN) whose 30 programmes have just been accredited. You can see there is no need having satellite campuses more 20km from main campus who use phones and other gadget as you mentioned to communicate with their students. Satellite campuses are no longer in vogue as it is very expensive to get academics to travel for six hours just 2 deliver a lecture, hence the prevalent use of non-qualified tutors for these satellite campuses. This is in no way ambiguous save that some people enjoy cutting corners, replace satellite campus system with the Open and Distance Learning (ODL) mode. By this more people will be admitted and quality will be maintained. NOUN is set to admit 500,000 students which is more than ten times the figure a conventional university can admit. Their certificate is at par with the conventional face-to-face mode. You can see the problem is not NUC but VCs who mostly seem to be interested in quick profit. Access and quality remain a major task to behold. Reduce Jamb cut off mark and admit more people, you will be accused of reducing quality. Suspend program mes on account of quality, you will be accused of denying Nigerians access to education. Me thinks, quality should supersede access when there is controversy if we must get it right.
Dear Ezira
Thanks for your report. I do not own shares in any of the private universities that were closed down but I have children in who attend private universities not because I have alot of money to throw around but because of my personal experience. For instance, I did an 18-month MBA for 4-years in Unilag btw 1992 and 1996 not because i failed but because of Aluta . I also studied abroad - University of Surrey, UK and I know the schools are stable. As a parent, I look at University rankings to judge the academic stability of institutions. If a University like Joseph Ayo Babalola ranked 21st out of 107 and far ahead of many public University is suspended for not meeting NUC criteria , it surely raise some dusts about NUC standard and criteria. If a university has one or two issues with NUC, must we suspend the License of the institution .

Have you considered the Plights and the trauma NUC is giving to their parents and the students?

When a University like LEADs ranked 56th says they have FULL accreditation for all their courses and NUC did not dispute it, Will it be fair to suspend their License without fully disclosing what else they have done wrong?
IS IT TRUE THAT LEADS UNIVERSITY HAS FULL ACCREDITATION FOR ALL THEIR COURSES.?[/size][size=8pt][/size]. PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION

Has NUC realised that by suspending the License of this Universities you are crippling the huge investments of the proprietors of these institutions. You are also stopping them from admitting new students for the next academic session. These private institutions are not receiving subventions from Abuja and their staff are not on Federal Govt Payroll as Mr Ezira and other NUC staff. What you get is a gradual resignation of the Academic and non academic staff of the private universities and tomorrow the same NUC will blame them for poor staff. This is unfair.

How can NUC wake up and suspend Part-time studies overnight without any notice to the students and the universities?. This is similar to what GEJ did for Unilag in the name change. This steps are anti-democracy. Democracy is about constructive engagement. I have a right to be heard. My opinions must count when you take a decision about me. Your actions are against the cardinal principles of justice : No man has aright to be a judge in his own case and the need to hear the other side in your decisions.

REGRETTABLY, NUC DOES NOT BELIEVE IN THE JUDICIARY AND FAIR HEARING .The affected private Universities, cannot go to court to enforce their rights or challenge the decisions of NUC because NUC management is too big to obey the judgements of Nigerian courts. Rather than obey the court order and then Appeal if they have reasons to disagree, NUC will not obey. They will appeal and keep the Appeal dragging.

Whatsoever a man soweth, he will reap. Although you feel comfortable now because you are staff of NUC and you have the Federal might, remember there is A God in heaven that watches over the affairs of men. When you leave that comfortable zone, become an ordinary citizen and put your hard earned resources on a project only for one government to threaten or demolish it overnight without given you an opportunity to say something , you will feel what the private university Proprietors are feeling

I do not have any personal animosity with your boss - Prof Okogie. I am very familiar with UNAAB where he left before he took the position of Executive secretary in NUC. I know that he made little or no impact throughout his tenure as VC. Visit UNNAb now and compare it with when he left.Go to the university and ask about his tenure as VC and his impact. Ask the staff on the ground how many new facilities and infrastructures he created during his tenure and how many were created when Prof Balogun left.Both of them had a 5-yr term as VC. You will then feel how i felt. You can will then know if the NUC Prof has any moral justification to mark the scripts of other VCs or condemn and suspend the Licenses of these institutions.

Were there no private universities during Prof Okebukolas tenure as NUC Exec Secretary, how many of them had their Licences suspended or threatened with withdrawal. What is going on now will not do the nation any good. The credibility of NUC is already being questioned and the reputation of Nigerian Universities is daily dragged into the mud. The present situation will further discourage investment in Education. NUC ought to parley with the all VCs on how University education can get better rather than be at press war with private university proprietors

Finally, it is disappointing to see that you addressed UNILAG as MAULAG when the matter is still in court and the National Assembly had not ammended the act of the University. This again is what I said earlier of the present NUC management. They are too big to obey Court orders[i][/i]. Your boss at the heat of the renaming of Unilag rather than wait to see the direction of events went to the Press and said NUC is willing to effect the change of name. Is that his job?

Once again, thanks for your writeup. I hope you will see reasons in my points
Re: NUC Shuts Down ESUT And ABSU Satellite Campuses In Aba by Nobody: 10:00am On Jul 09, 2012
Jenti and Ezira, Get a job! Haba. Where did you guys get all the strength to type all these junk and yet made no sense? Nawa o.
Re: NUC Shuts Down ESUT And ABSU Satellite Campuses In Aba by jenti: 10:11am On Jul 09, 2012
exxell: Jenti and Ezira, Get a job! Haba. Where did you guys get all the strength to type all these junk and yet made no sense? Nawa o.

Yes we have a job. As Soyinka said The man died in all those who kept mute in the face of tyranny
We must talk so that we allow all Nigerians to have a balanced opinion
Re: NUC Shuts Down ESUT And ABSU Satellite Campuses In Aba by Ezira: 1:01pm On Jul 09, 2012
jenti:
Dear Ezira
Thanks for your report. I do not own shares in any of the private universities that were closed down but I have children in who attend private universities not because I have alot of money to throw around but because of my personal experience. For instance, I did an 18-month MBA for 4-years in Unilag btw 1992 and 1996 not because i failed but because of Aluta . I also studied abroad - University of Surrey, UK and I know the schools are stable. As a parent, I look at University rankings to judge the academic stability of institutions. If a University like Joseph Ayo Babalola ranked 21st out of 107 and far ahead of many public University is suspended for not meeting NUC criteria , it surely raise some dusts about NUC standard and criteria. If a university has one or two issues with NUC, must we suspend the License of the institution .

Have you considered the Plights and the trauma NUC is giving to their parents and the students?

When a University like LEADs ranked 56th says they have FULL accreditation for all their courses and NUC did not dispute it, Will it be fair to suspend their License without fully disclosing what else they have done wrong?
IS IT TRUE THAT LEADS UNIVERSITY HAS FULL ACCREDITATION FOR ALL THEIR COURSES.?[/size][size=8pt][/size]. PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION

Has NUC realised that by suspending the License of this Universities you are crippling the huge investments of the proprietors of these institutions. You are also stopping them from admitting new students for the next academic session. These private institutions are not receiving subventions from Abuja and their staff are not on Federal Govt Payroll as Mr Ezira and other NUC staff. What you get is a gradual resignation of the Academic and non academic staff of the private universities and tomorrow the same NUC will blame them for poor staff. This is unfair.

How can NUC wake up and suspend Part-time studies overnight without any notice to the students and the universities?. This is similar to what GEJ did for Unilag in the name change. This steps are anti-democracy. Democracy is about constructive engagement. I have a right to be heard. My opinions must count when you take a decision about me. Your actions are against the cardinal principles of justice : No man has aright to be a judge in his own case and the need to hear the other side in your decisions.

REGRETTABLY, NUC DOES NOT BELIEVE IN THE JUDICIARY AND FAIR HEARING .The affected private Universities, cannot go to court to enforce their rights or challenge the decisions of NUC because NUC management is too big to obey the judgements of Nigerian courts. Rather than obey the court order and then Appeal if they have reasons to disagree, NUC will not obey. They will appeal and keep the Appeal dragging.

Whatsoever a man soweth, he will reap. Although you feel comfortable now because you are staff of NUC and you have the Federal might, remember there is A God in heaven that watches over the affairs of men. When you leave that comfortable zone, become an ordinary citizen and put your hard earned resources on a project only for one government to threaten or demolish it overnight without given you an opportunity to say something , you will feel what the private university Proprietors are feeling

I do not have any personal animosity with your boss - Prof Okogie. I am very familiar with UNAAB where he left before he took the position of Executive secretary in NUC. I know that he made little or no impact throughout his tenure as VC. Visit UNNAb now and compare it with when he left.Go to the university and ask about his tenure as VC and his impact. Ask the staff on the ground how many new facilities and infrastructures he created during his tenure and how many were created when Prof Balogun left.Both of them had a 5-yr term as VC. You will then feel how i felt. You can will then know if the NUC Prof has any moral justification to mark the scripts of other VCs or condemn and suspend the Licenses of these institutions.

Were there no private universities during Prof Okebukolas tenure as NUC Exec Secretary, how many of them had their Licences suspended or threatened with withdrawal. What is going on now will not do the nation any good. The credibility of NUC is already being questioned and the reputation of Nigerian Universities is daily dragged into the mud. The present situation will further discourage investment in Education. NUC ought to parley with the all VCs on how University education can get better rather than be at press war with private university proprietors

Finally, it is disappointing to see that you addressed UNILAG as MAULAG when the matter is still in court and the National Assembly had not ammended the act of the University. This again is what I said earlier of the present NUC management. They are too big to obey Court orders[i][/i]. Your boss at the heat of the renaming of Unilag rather than wait to see the direction of events went to the Press and said NUC is willing to effect the change of name. Is that his job?

Once again, thanks for your writeup. I hope you will see reasons in my points
I find it difficult to understand how the issue of Lead City has reared its head in this discourse because ESUT and ABSU are state universities and not private universities. Lead City was not the only private university whose licenses were withdrawn temporarily as they are seven in number. Most of them were given approval temporarily and were expected to fully comply with the NUC guidelines within a specified period. For example, NUC expects every university to have proper management in place and not a situation where decisions are taken by the proprietors alone. They are expected to have university senate, university councils, pro-chancellors etc. For more on reasons for the withdrawal, I advise you visit http://www.nuc.edu.ng/nucsite/File/Monday%20Bulletin/MB%202012/MB%209%20July%202012%20vetted.pdf
While I do not doubt the rankings purported, I think you should also know that there are so many yardsticks for ranking. So when you say 56th, then 56th in what? Is it pedagogy, facilities, academic planning, research etc? The fact that licenses were withdrawn shows that accreditation of programmes is not the only issue at stake. These institutions were given ample opportunities to re-write the wrongs by implementing the contents of their Academic Briefs and Master Plan documents but they failed to do so. NUC as an arbiter, had only one option left in order to compel them to do so and that is, withdraw their licenses. They seem to be more interested in boycotting even JAMB, by admitting more part-time students than full-time. Leaving behind the more important issues like academic brief and master plans.
You were quick to sympathize with the students who I cannot fathom how they would be affected. Arrangements are already on ground with JAMB concerning those would-be students who chose these universities.
On the issue of not receiving subventions, I think there is nothing wrong in trying to make money as every private university is a for-profit institution but quality should not be compromised.
NUC did not wake up and suspend part-time programmes because all vice chancellors were communicated on the requirements for part-time and were forewarned.
In as much as I would not wish to be drawn into the politics of MAULAG, I know that the President as the Visitor can change the name of any federal university apart from UNN and UI who specified in their Academic Brief that at no time should their names be changed.
Re: NUC Shuts Down ESUT And ABSU Satellite Campuses In Aba by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 09, 2012
well uh i kinda dont have anything to say so uh "ooookay'!
Re: NUC Shuts Down ESUT And ABSU Satellite Campuses In Aba by sensydin: 5:01pm On Jul 09, 2012
To revamp the educational sector our tertiary institutions should maintain standard in line with the standards of regulated authority.
Re: NUC Shuts Down ESUT And ABSU Satellite Campuses In Aba by Aniagor(m): 12:24pm On Feb 20, 2016
pls , does institute of Ecumenical Education Thinkers Corner ,Enugu , in affiliation with ESUT, pls I need ans

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal Polytechnic Offa 2nd Batch Is Out / Uniport Set To Re-open On The 19th Of June. / Yabatech Students Arested By Unilag Security And Detained

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.