Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,378 members, 7,800,759 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:04 AM

Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? (28648 Views)

Watch University Lecturer Flogging Students (video) / Married In School, Single At Home In Nigeria Universities. / Nicknames Your Teachers Were Given In School And How They Earned It. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Super1759: 9:44pm On Jul 07, 2012
My childhood story is incomplete without stories of canes I received.

A teacher without a cane is like a police man without a gun,and this made me serious in school.

A teacher we called "sir koboko" or 'hulk hogan', when your hear "he is calling you", suicide can be a better option than his lashes of cane,and we the stubborn guys had to situp whenever it comes 2 school work.

At home, my parents had a special cane for us all. Mum flogs randomly(as a teacher) and dad flogs constructively(as a businessman) and we were locked up in the store if your case is worse(we call it prison then) and sometimes starved.

Nevertheless the discipline was with caution,but the modern school and theory is against flogging in schools. Now,my uncle withdrew his kids from a school because he was flogged.

Am asking what is wrong in it? Or does it mean we were brought up as slaves?

3 Likes

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Ojosaac(m): 9:47pm On Jul 07, 2012
If u flog a child abroad, you would be charged for child abuse but in Nigeria... Na reverse. Him papa/mama go thank u well. Naija i hail thee.

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Super1759: 9:50pm On Jul 07, 2012
Bros,as am typing this ma uncle is raking the whole house.his soon was flogged because he refused ² sweep the class..he is just making a hell of noise and I don't know who 2 side. Dem no flog u 4 school?

1 Like

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jul 08, 2012
I used to think its good. Now I know its bad. You dont have to beat up a kid to impact on them. Just use control statements, tell them. If you touch a girl, even with your feet, she is pregnant.....lol

4 Likes

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by FrenchyL(m): 1:03pm On Jul 08, 2012
flogging is not bad at all. As a matter of fact I recommend it but it should be moderate. The bible says that foolishness is abound in the heart of a child but the Rod of correction will drive it out of him. A child can be flogged for doing something bad but there are times when having a talk with a child might produce the expected result and change that you want to see. In summary, do not over flog and Never drop the rod of correction totally.

23 Likes

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by specimenx(m): 1:05pm On Jul 08, 2012
I was flogged as a child and, i cant regret any bit of it... Even the most painful. Modern man seem to do away with flogging. I might not flog my kids that much as correction measure but i dont have it against any that flogs my kids humanly.(i neva born pikin oh)
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Castos(m): 1:06pm On Jul 08, 2012
Spare the rod and spoil the child. The Lord God even approved it. But to over do it or with no tangible reason is a bully(sin).

4 Likes

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by purefella(m): 1:08pm On Jul 08, 2012
out!

1 Like

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by stagger: 1:10pm On Jul 08, 2012
Koboko!

Always the way forward for stubborn children.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by GenOrumov: 1:14pm On Jul 08, 2012
Why shouldn't i flog my kids when they misbehave? Na oyinbo born them for me? Abeg open your y.a.n.s.h make i give you koboko!

3 Likes

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by alaoeri: 1:14pm On Jul 08, 2012
As far as am concern don spare the rod and spoil the child infact most of my bad childhood behaviour was corrected with canes, i mean real beating which am greatful today. Its depend on how u view it.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Ideevic(m): 1:17pm On Jul 08, 2012
It Is good to use cane on children. because God instruct parents 2 do so.'spare d rod n spoil d child.too,d rod i.e cane drive out away foolish frm a child'heart'prov.10:13; 13:24; 26:3
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Reference(m): 1:19pm On Jul 08, 2012
Nothing wrong with it if: It is not done vindictively and out of pure anger. If it is balanced with a reward system (carrot and stick). If it is not done excessively thus eroding its fear factor. Wisdom is balance and balance is wisdom that uses the cane to drive out foolishness. Finally, the greatest antidote to childhood truancy are knowledgeable parents who are willing to lead by EXAMPLE. Don't expect from your child any different from what you do.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Homar(m): 1:20pm On Jul 08, 2012
Reminds me of our principal in jss d guy too flog . When him begin chase people and them be de run away and mumu me follow but i no no where he dey follow come from na so i jump window land for him front . D kind flogging wey i recieve that day na die . But i loved d agric teacher cause instead of flogging d hell out of us he would send us to his plot of land to farm and while farming and after we go begin look for fruits bush meat etc .

3 Likes

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Lakayana: 1:22pm On Jul 08, 2012
We should be very care the way we follow the white man's way of life oh their moral values have crumbled completely is that what we want for ourselves? If we are not careful we shall get there faster than the speed of light. what your uncle is grooming are mumu ajebutter children.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Yorisb: 1:22pm On Jul 08, 2012
Not entirely a bad thing, however, there are several other ways a child could be ultra-disciplined without using a ''Koboko''.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 08, 2012
Flogging a child will not make him/her a better citizen or person.The touts and scalywags on our streets today passed through the same lashing routine,yet, nothing to justify the stroking they received.I believe communication is the key.Their is nothing as good as pointing to a child the effects of whatever ill he/she committed and advising on the proper thing to do

6 Likes

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Yorisb: 1:33pm On Jul 08, 2012
Ideevic: It Is good to use cane on children. because God instruct parents 2 do so.'spare d rod n spoil d child.too,d rod i.e cane drive out away foolish frm a child'heart'prov.10:13; 13:24; 26:3

I reckon you're taking that biblical verse way too literally.

For all u know, placing them on a wet naughty mat as a punishment and/or removing their favourite toy(s) could still be well passed for NOT sparing the biblical ''rod''.....

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by stijjani42: 1:34pm On Jul 08, 2012
I thought d white dude d@ proposed ds thing abt not whippn kids 4 correction came bk aftr many yrs 2 say he obviously ws wrong. make I hear say flogging pikin wey noe 1 gt sense bad
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Obinnau(m): 1:42pm On Jul 08, 2012
purefella: IT IS GOOD TO FLOG AFRICAN CHILDREN BECAUSE OF THE KIND MADNESS WEY BIBLE SAY HE DEY THERE MIND grin
so de bible is mad huh?
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by mallorca(m): 1:44pm On Jul 08, 2012
its very very good
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Super1759: 1:50pm On Jul 08, 2012
;
pure ;Dfe ;Dlla:
I ;T IS GOOD TO FLOG AFRICAN CHILDREN BECAUSE OF THE KIND MADNESS WEY BBLE SAY HE DEY THERE MIND grin
...bros,u don cary enta 18,where bible talk say afircan children,maddness deh dia head? grin
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Engineer1985(m): 1:53pm On Jul 08, 2012
Flogging is good when done moderately. Most parents have the habbit of beating their children with anything the find around them like heavy metal objects, sticks, etc. This is bad as it will affect the child's psychology!

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by AbdulAdam56(m): 1:54pm On Jul 08, 2012
purefella: IT IS GOOD TO FLOG AFRICAN CHILDREN BECAUSE OF THE KIND MADNESS WEY BIBLE SAY HE DEY THERE MIND grin
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by kandiikane(m): 1:55pm On Jul 08, 2012
It's ok, when done for the right reasons and moderately.

A child should thank their stars if the person flogging them was not once a yaba left patient, as we would say, Kampama. You will literally see stars.

Aha, I remember when we sometimes have to go find our own cane. What a mission. tongue
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Zi: 1:56pm On Jul 08, 2012
I was flogged as a child. To a point, we were flogged almost everyday, for every mis-step. Maybe my parents derived extra joy in doing that, I don't know. Maybe we over did as kids, I think not!
Today, I don't regret what I have become. But I keep thinking, I would have become the better without been flogged. tongue cheesy
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Castos(m): 1:56pm On Jul 08, 2012
Yorisb:

I reckon you're taking that biblical verse way too literally.

For all u know, placing them on a wet naughty mat as a punishment and/or removing their favourite toy(s) could still be well passed for NOT sparing the biblical ''rod''.....
Wait till he/she is 10. Toy no go be the issue again o.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by ebamma(m): 1:59pm On Jul 08, 2012
the fear of flogging is the beginning of wisdom
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Emioga: 2:00pm On Jul 08, 2012
Omo see flogging!!!bt i really think it takes great discipline to be able to beat ur child cus if u think of the pain u went tru(mothers)u no go won touch d pikin.flogging is vry good(in moderation nd at d rite time)
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Yorisb: 2:02pm On Jul 08, 2012
Castos: Wait till he/she is 10. Toy no go be the issue again o.

As the tune/dance changes, so will the dancer. . . .grin
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by chucky234(m): 2:02pm On Jul 08, 2012
I don't flog my daughter as I always communicate my disapproval to her by just looking at her and she grow up with that. She knows when I say don't,the mother beat her at every opportunity yet she listen more to me than the mother.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by blackbeau1(f): 2:08pm On Jul 08, 2012
Unfortunately,africans don't seem to realize that our temparament and behaviour is different ffom that of the americans. The same thing that would make an american cry would not really faze an african.so,when I see nigerians copy americans unnecessarily,its annoying. Flogging is one of the best ways to correct the nigerian child. For those of you saying communication and interaction works better,I'd like to ask you this question: was there ever a time when you did something wrong as a kid and your parents corrected you with a speech and later,you were faced with the same situation,pls can you tell us your reaction? I'm sure you said to yourself,let me do it afterall,all my parents will do is to talk. Anyway,I was caned as a kid and I'm happy because it has helped shape my life a lot. As for my kids,I will cane them to discipline them but the key is to know when to cane and when to hold back.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ASUU: Massive Number Of Students May Be Disenfranchised, We Are Considering This / I'm Worried, I Finally Graduated With 2:2, Any Advice For Me? / Muslim Girls Suspended From Isolo Secondary School Lagos For Wearing Hijab

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.