Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,774 members, 7,798,581 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:31 AM

UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students (13632 Views)

Macedonian Government Scholarships For Foreign Students. / UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants / Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by IYANGBALI: 2:09pm On Jul 08, 2012
Honestly,i does not knows why peoples likes going to American and European to studies,cant peoples stays hear in nigeria and studies there curses instead of going to another people,s country to studies and learning bad bad things includen their culsore and traditionals.Now that the have introduction these face me i face you interview,i am very much in supporter of it,it would making people that does not knows how to spoke good english and grammar to sitting in nigeria to study in our own unifasity.

1 Like

Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by IYANGBALI: 2:12pm On Jul 08, 2012
mrkels: Thinking of doing masters there, does this mean I should bone it and think of another alternative?
do not bone it you can go to cotonoue to do your masters programme grin
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by linkin8k(m): 3:02pm On Jul 08, 2012
pato405:

<b> I will advice that if you DO NOT have a ready made job back home [e.g on study leave], or if you need a UK job to recover some of your investment on your studies - DO NOT COME TO THE UK!!!</b> it's a WRONG destination for you except you want to just get a certificate and return to your country. talk of knowledge or quality of educaton, DONT let that be the basis of your sentiments for preferring UK. there are many schools all over the world where you can gain same if not better knowledge and be allowed to explore further - US, Canada, Australia, Germany, Netherland etc. except your passion for Cambridge, Oxford, UCL,LSE, Warrick and co is just so unfathomable that ALL you want is to grab one of their kpali and run back home to continue your job or continue your search, DONT dare come an inch closer.

ma 2 penny.

I was planning to start my msc course in environmental management this September with Coventry university but your comments are making me consider delaying and take the Hertfordshire offer ℓ̊ have which begins January. My major intention was to come and get work experience after study because ℓ̊ have no ready made job waiting for me here.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by UNLEASHED(m): 3:16pm On Jul 08, 2012
saxywale:

emmhh, including Manchester, Trafford, Bolton, Salford, Ashton-u-lyne, Rochdale. Infact the whole of greater Manchester.

Not the whole of Greater Manchester, you can only see few of them around Cheetham hill area and North side. You'll just be confused if you're in Longsight/Levenshulme and wonder if you're in the UK or Pakistan
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by maybel(m): 3:33pm On Jul 08, 2012
Chaydee: Lobatan! cheesy cheesy
abi !
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by pato405(m): 3:38pm On Jul 08, 2012
linkin8k:

I was planning to start my msc course in environmental management this September with Coventry university but your comments are making me consider delaying and take the Hertfordshire offer ℓ̊ have which begins January. My major intention was to come and get work experience after study because ℓ̊ have no ready made job waiting for me here.

I honestly understand your fears and must say that your fears are not out of place. the cancellation of PSW is a crucial issue at the moment. however, I have come to realise that this whole debate concerning studying in the UK, employment prospects and taking decisions in other spheres akin to issues like these are more or less synonymous with risk taking. however, endeavour to take a calculated risk so that your chances of making losses will be minimal. if your major intention is to come and get work experience, then you may need to have a re-think. sad as it may sound, it's the absolute truth. I'm not trying to discourage you. far from it. I will be the last person to discourage you based on my experiences in the UK. sometimes, it's all about time and chance. what if you finish your studies and perhaps by chance, you get an opportunity to be recruited by an organisation with licence? or what if you get a PhD scholarship as many Nigerians have? or what if you get an opportunity with a company as a sponsored volunteer. so it's all a question of 'PROBABILITY' now! in as much as these are probable, their chances of occurring are infinitecimal [very rare]. but that doesn't mean it can't happen. so, take it as a 50/50.

this more or less sounds like you are gambling. grin grin grin grin and I'm sure nobody wants to gamble with 5mil [£10,000 for tution: 2.5mil + £10,000 for maintenance: 2.5mil] shocked. that's a lot of money. why not try US/Canadian school. that may be your best bet. but if you insist on UK, it's Ok but keep your mind open. because as Murphy's Law says it ..''anything can happen''.. but the worst that will most probably happen as things stand now is leaving the UK immediately after your studies - back to your home country to continue your job search. the part time job you get as a student may count as experience though [i.e the 20hr per week part time job you may be fortunate to get]. however, such jobs are becoming even difficult these days. times are hard here I must say but many people don't understand. unfortunately, they are not told the intricacies and complexities they are likely to face when they come in. all those who go there to sweet talk students into coming over don't really do much to explain the nitty gritty of these things. when I came in, I though I could start a part time job within 1 or 2 months. it may amaze you to know that i had no part time job until after 10months! irrespective of the fact that I sent more than 100 CV's and was always attending interviews. but they kept on asking for UK experience. can you imagine ! more than 12 Nigerians in my class couldn't secure any job within the first 10months. it was pathetic. ever wonder why they insist that you have enough to take care of yourself for at least 9months and bank evidences to show availability of such funds before coming in? it's because they know that in these recession times, you may NOT get anything doing within that period. it wasn't this bad before anyway, not until the recession came hitting them all so badly. so beware of what you are likely to face.

here is the truth and NOTHING but the truth.

2 Likes

Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by UNLEASHED(m): 3:51pm On Jul 08, 2012
pato405:

I honestly understand your fears and must say that your fears are not out of place. the cancellation of PSW is a crucial issue at the moment. however, I have come to realise that this whole debate concerning studying in the UK, employment prospects and taking decisions in other spheres akin to issues like these are more or less synonymous with risk taking. however, endeavour to take a calculated risk so that your chances of making losses will be minimal. if your major intention is to come and get work experience, then you may need to have a re-think. sad as it may sound, it's the absolute truth. I'm not trying to discourage you. far from it. I will be the last person to discourage you based on my experiences in the UK. sometimes, it's all about time and chance. what if you finish your studies and perhaps by chance, you get an opportunity to be recruited by an organisation with licence? or what if you get a PhD scholarship as many Nigerians have? or what if you get an opportunity with a company as a sponsored volunteer. so it's all a question of 'PROBABILITY' now! in as much as these are probable, their chances of occurring are infinitecimal [very rare]. but that doesn't mean it can't happen. so, take it as a 50/50.

this more or less sounds like you are gambling. grin grin grin grin and I'm sure nobody wants to gamble with 5mil [£10,000 for tution: 2.5mil + £10,000 for maintenance: 2.5mil] shocked. that's a lot of money. why not try US/Canadian school. that may be your best bet. but if you insist on UK, it's Ok but keep your mind open. because as Murphy's Law says it ..''anything can happen''.. but the worst that will most probably happen as things stand now is leaving the UK immediately after your studies - back to your home country to continue your job search. the part time job you get as a student may count as experience though [i.e the 20hr per week part time job you may be fortunate to get]. however, such jobs are becoming even difficult these days. times are hard here I must say but many people don't understand. unfortunately, they are not told the intricacies and complexities they are likely to face when they come in. all those who go there to sweet talk students into coming over don't really do much to explain the nitty gritty of these things. when I came in, I though I could start a part time job within 1 or 2 months. it may amaze you to know that i had no part time job until after 10months! irrespective of the fact that I sent more than 100 CV's and was always attending interviews. but they kept on asking for UK experience. can you imagine ! more than 12 Nigerians in my class couldn't secure any job within the first 10months. it was pathetic. ever wonder why they insist that you have enough to take care of yourself for at least 9months and bank evidences to show availability of such funds before coming in? it's because they know that in these recession times, you may NOT get anything doing within that period. it wasn't this bad before anyway, not until the recession came hitting them all so badly. so beware of what you are likely to face.

here is the truth and NOTHING but the truth.

Well said
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 08, 2012
Why go to the uk to study when their economy is nothing to write home about in the first place?Even the usa wont be my first suggestion to anyone though it better cos u will get a Postgraduate workpermit which u could use to get a job and garner experience which might give you an edge back home...anyday,anytime I will suggest studying in Canada based on my experience in the country and better still it not as expensive as uk.Do your research about the country am sure u will be convinced beyond reasonable doubt that it is a better prospect.That my suggestion.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by maybel(m): 4:12pm On Jul 08, 2012
IYA NGBALI: Honestly,i does not knows why peoples likes going to American and European to studies,cant peoples stays hear in nigeria and studies there curses instead of going to another people,s country to studies and learning bad bad things includen their culsore and traditionals.Now that the have introduction these face me i face you interview,i am very much in supporter of it,it would making people that does not knows how to spoke good english and grammar to sitting in nigeria to study in our own unifasity.
Is this English or Latin? If this is English pls make sure u give it to a better person in d language to proofread before posting. Looking 4ward to seeing u do that. Thanks.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jul 08, 2012
saxywale:

emmhh, including Manchester, Trafford, Bolton, Salford, Ashton-u-lyne, Rochdale. Infact the whole of greater Manchester.

You forgot Moston and Gorton
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jul 08, 2012
PortHarcourtBoy:

You forgot Moston and Gorton

Moston is isale eko, the place be like barking for east London.

UNLEASHED:

Not the whole of Greater Manchester, you can only see few of them around Cheetham hill area and North side. You'll just be confused if you're in Longsight/Levenshulme and wonder if you're in the UK or Pakistan

I am talking bout the whole boroughs not areas. i.e boroughs where the Asian population is over 20% of the population. The population of Asians in areas like Cheetham hill and levenshume is like 80% of the total population in those areas.lolz
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jul 08, 2012
linkin8k:

Bruv. Since psw has been cancelled, how do you intend to gain that work experience which you desire after the MSc programme? Even if you get a PT job, they usually don't look good on your resume as most of them are low skilled jobs. Pato405 was just very very very fortunate to get on the pg research stuff as 99% of those opportunities usually favours home and EU students. Have you tried gaining admission into a Canadian university? Canada has this provincial visa programmes that helps international students become permanent residents.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by pato405(m): 4:54pm On Jul 08, 2012
saxywale:

Bruv. Since psw has been cancelled, how do you intend to gain that work experience which you desire after the MSc programme? Even if you get a PT job, they usually don't look good on your resume as most of them are low skilled jobs. Pato405 was just very very very fortunate to get on the pg research stuff as 99% of those opportunities usually favours home and EU students. Have you tried gaining admission into a Canadian university? Canada has this provincial visa programmes that helps international students become permanent residents.

seriously, you've said it all!
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by Siga: 5:37pm On Jul 08, 2012
Honestly.....I will advise anyone planning to come overseas to study and plans to stay after study to come to Canada.....U are by far 100% guaranteed that after your study u will earn ur PR....I did it back in 2004 and I am a citizen now....Come study...after 6months of continous study...u get a work permit...manage...finish ur program...u are qualified...and if u are lucky like i am...I got a job a month after I finished...so, i package my naija work experience plus the job I got and within a yr...I chop my PR...so...food for tot guys....now its even easier...after ur study...u are entitled to 3yrs work permit...so..its all good
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by pato405(m): 5:54pm On Jul 08, 2012
Siga: Honestly.....I will advise anyone planning to come overseas to study and plans to stay after study to come to Canada.....U are by far 100% guaranteed that after your study u will earn ur PR....I did it back in 2004 and I am a citizen now....Come study...after 6months of continous study...u get a work permit...manage...finish ur program...u are qualified...and if u are lucky like i am...I got a job a month after I finished...so, i package my naija work experience plus the job I got and within a yr...I chop my PR...so...food for tot guys....now its even easier...after ur study...u are entitled to 3yrs work permit...so..its all good

are there jobs n Canada now - in these time of recession? nobody is ready to leave the shores of his country, pay heavy amount for masters only to be left loafing around abroad or pestering peeps at home to send him money. please if there is any advise on how to go about it for these prospective ones or valuable websites, kindly publish them here. as far as uk is concerned for now, i'll advise them to be weary of unemployment because it can be really very frustrating.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by Siga: 6:01pm On Jul 08, 2012
pato405:

are there jobs n Canada now - in these time of recession? nobody is ready to leave the shores of his country, pay heavy amount for masters only to be left loafing around abroad or pestering peeps at home to send him money. please if there is any advise on how to go about it for these prospective ones or valuable websites, kindly publish them here. as far as uk is concerned for now, i'll advise them to be weary of unemployment because it can be really very frustrating.
You have a valid point Sir....but again, there are demands in some areas where people who are willing to do the work can tap into....I am into IT (Security and Application support)....if you are willing to go into IT security...get at least CISSP and CISA or CISM...there are tonnes of jobs and limited people....I know few guys that are into nursing now...and in Canada...if u are very willing to go up north or within the Indian reserves...there are jobs for u....BTW....if you are young and can go into Medicine...good for u....if u agree to go up north or the reserves...u will get a huge tuition rebate...but again...if u have a good job going for u in naija and are comfortable with the security issues there....stay...I left cos I got a scholarship to come study plus I was tired of the armed robbers breaking into my house and the freedom of going out anytime i like...so...its a choice to weigh....
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by linkin8k(m): 8:06pm On Jul 08, 2012
@ pato405 thanks a lot for the advice. Am exploring studying in Germany also as the tuition there is lower and greater job opportunity. The cancellation of PSW is a big bummer but i would discuss with my dad on finances to be sure he is comfy with me schooling and not getting immediate employment. Also the CEO of the company i just completed service in advised me to do environmental engineering over environmental management but the latter is the only offer the school gave me

@ saxywale thankz too. I don't have a 2:1 so Canada is off limits.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by oladayo042: 9:15pm On Jul 08, 2012
No be today!
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by pato405(m): 9:37pm On Jul 08, 2012
linkin8k: @ pato405 thanks a lot for the advice. Am exploring studying in Germany also as the tuition there is lower and greater job opportunity. The cancellation of PSW is a big bummer but i would discuss with my dad on finances to be sure he is comfy with me schooling and not getting immediate employment. Also the CEO of the company i just completed service in advised me to do environmental engineering over environmental management but the latter is the only offer the school gave me

@ saxywale thankz too. I don't have a 2:1 so Canada is off limits.

you'r welcome linkin8k. Germany is actually a better option for now until favourable regulations are enacted on UK student visa. the UK has failed to give consideration to students' stance on this issue. they'd rather have things their own way irrespective of what prospective students feel.For many students from developing countries, it's not easy to raise such an amount of money, run a PG course not lasting longer than 10-12months and be asked to go back after 12months without an opportunity to explore your potentials further through a work placement or at least a year paid employment with little stipend. it should be a 'give and take' situation from my point of view but it's no longer the case. I'm sure that if a referendum/poll was held, many students will vote against it. if you are ready to forfeit PSW then you can come to the UK, else, just seek another country. as regards engineering, I may not be in position to articulate your preference because I'm under medcn and have little knowledge about your engineering courses. I think you should concentrate on which one actually has more potentials of affording you a gainful employment. explore the possibilities of the company you just finished working with employing you after your masters.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by Ronaldo200(m): 9:54pm On Jul 08, 2012
linkin8k:

I would still advise to you UK.
When I arrived in UK I obtained a 2.2 degree (I won't mention the school) but it was an average school and there was no such thing as PSW in 2007 and 2006. So I applied for jobs and got the job in my field, of my classmates, I think 60 or 70 per cent of the Nigerians got a job after we graduated, and those that didn't went onto further study. Within three years I got my ILR, and now I don't need UK for anything and am working in USA and Canada for a major company and with my BRITISH passport can go back to work in Uk or any other country in Europe whenever I see fit.

PSW is cancelled yes but one can still obtain a job if you apply, there are THOUSANDS of companies hat you are allowed to work for, and ago long as he job pay 19k up you are allowed a three year stay. Would you have elected to get PSW and then go and work in the shopping mall? Of course not. My younger bro and sis have just graduated, one from Luton and the other from Birminghamm and my brother has a job offer already on Tier 2 without PSW, so with that he has 3 year visa. If you read the rule carefully, you are allowed to stay so long as you have a genuine job offer, and honestly £19k isn't really that much anyway. Why would one want to have a PSW and not be working?
Yes Canada is an option cos they still offer 3 year PSW but my experience of seeing the international students here is that it is MUCH more difficult to get a professional job. In the church I frequent when I am around you should see how many of them are jobless or working in a shopping mall or one kind of sales job. Another friend of mine finished School and then masters and then had 3 year PSW, this weekend she is on a plane back to naija cos they rejected her PR as they say her job wasn't professional (in a bank o)
I still maintain that going to UK was best for me and it offers best opportunities, they actually do employ and hire young foreign graduates there. Just make sure you do your research and app,y for jobs early and visit career service. As many others have written, many of us have gotten our UK Permanent Residence simply by having a job, before PSW even existed.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by pato405(m): 10:15pm On Jul 08, 2012
Ronaldo200:

I would still advise to you UK.
When I arrived in UK I obtained a 2.2 degree (I won't mention the school) but it was an average school and there was no such thing as PSW in 2007 and 2006. So I applied for jobs and got the job in my field, of my classmates, I think 60 or 70 per cent of the Nigerians got a job after we graduated, and those that didn't went onto further study. Within three years I got my ILR, and now I don't need UK for anything and am working in USA and Canada for a major company and with my BRITISH passport can go back to work in Uk or any other country in Europe whenever I see fit.

PSW is cancelled yes but one can still obtain a job if you apply, there are THOUSANDS of companies hat you are allowed to work for, and ago long as he job pay 19k up you are allowed a three year stay. Would you have elected to get PSW and then go and work in the shopping mall? Of course not. My younger bro and sis have just graduated, one from Luton and the other from Birminghamm and my brother has a job offer already on Tier 2 without PSW, so with that he has 3 year visa. If you read the rule carefully, you are allowed to stay so long as you have a genuine job offer, and honestly £19k isn't really that much anyway. Why would one want to have a PSW and not be working?
Yes Canada is an option cos they still offer 3 year PSW but my experience of seeing the international students here is that it is MUCH more difficult to get a professional job. In the church I frequent when I am around you should see how many of them are jobless or working in a shopping mall or one kind of sales job. Another friend of mine finished School and then masters and then had 3 year PSW, this weekend she is on a plane back to naija cos they rejected her PR as they say her job wasn't professional (in a bank o)
[b]I still maintain that going to UK was best for me and it offers best opportunities, they actually do employ and hire young foreign graduates there. [/b]Just make sure you do your research and app,y for jobs early and visit career service. As many others have written, many of us have gotten our UK Permanent Residence simply by having a job, before PSW even existed.

on a more serious note, you are NOT current with recent developments in the UK!
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by Ronaldo200(m): 11:01pm On Jul 08, 2012
pato405:

on a more serious note, you are NOT current with recent developments in the UK!

How would you claim I am not current? When I have just told you that my younger siblings have both just secure job and having visa processed?
You are trying to tell me that the big investment banks, Top 10-15 accountancy firms won't hire foreign graduates? My brother was short listed for 3 jobs with law firms and received one offer, I am not there but definitely the guy applied for graduate vacancies and the rules clearly state that any registered employed can hire any amount of foreign graduates that they want, so long as the job pay minimum £20,000.
Nothing in this is rocket science. There is a list on the government website that clearly states who you can work for and it contains thousand upon thousands of companies on that's list.
All one needs to do is, search for job and then make sure that this employer is on that approved list (here is that list) http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/employersandsponsors/pointsbasedsystem/pbsregisterofsponsors

For my sister it was more difficult but she went through recruitment agency, but she already had many years work experience and a masters so that is helping her, and all jobs she has applied for we're approved employers on that list.
All I am saying is go out and look for job, PSW or now PSW. All PSW did was give you an extra time to search, but any serious-minded career focused person, even nder PSW, wouldn't have taken job for less than 20k per year so the only difference that PSW cancellation makes is that one has to be quick to start applying.

In which way am I not current?

1 Like

Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by linkin8k(m): 11:30pm On Jul 08, 2012
Thanks @ Ronaldo2000 Am still considering it for now. I even had a crazy idea of applying to nearby countries such as Netherland while schooling if i accept the Coventry offer.

@ pato405 thanks a lots o, in-depth explanation ur giving me is invaluable. I have applied to two schools in Germany already, awaiting a reply. The UK government really need to reconsider their stance on the PSW thingy.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by justwise(m): 11:40pm On Jul 08, 2012
IYA NGBALI: Honestly,i does not knows why peoples likes [/b]going to American and European to [b]studies,[/b]cant [b]peoples stays hear in nigeria and studies there c[b]urses [/b]instead of going to another people,s country to studies and learning bad bad things includen their culsore and traditionals.Now that the have introduction these face me i face you interview,i am very much in supporter of it,it would making people that does not knows how to spoke good english and grammar to sitting in nigeria to study in our own unifasity.

You really need 'UK and America' education more than anybody else.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jul 08, 2012
IYA NGBALI: Honestly,i does not knows why peoples likes going to American and European to studies,cant peoples stays hear in nigeria and studies there curses instead of going to another people,s country to studies and learning bad bad things includen their culsore and traditionals.Now that the have introduction these face me i face you interview,i am very much in supporter of it,it would making people that does not knows how to spoke good english and grammar to sitting in nigeria to study in our own unifasity.

LMFAO
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by awesomet1(m): 12:01am On Jul 09, 2012
norrisman:

How many countries offer you the chance to get this experience you talk about on a platter of gold i.e. PSW and the likes? Definitely not the US, not even immigrant friendly Canada. You have to work hard for it in places like the US (and now the UK)where you may get lucky to find an employer wishing to sponsor you. If as someone quoted, 300,000 student visas were handed out last year are you saying those 300,000 thousand should have unchecked access to the job market when they graduate without consideration for the settled population, during a recession ?

PSW IS NO MORE. SO WHAT OTHER MOTIVATION IS THERE?
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by mickjagger(m): 12:14am On Jul 09, 2012
Britain is a bogus place.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by pato405(m): 12:42am On Jul 09, 2012
Ronaldo200:

How would you claim I am not current? When I have just told you that my younger siblings have both just secure job and having visa processed?
You are trying to tell me that the big investment banks, Top 10-15 accountancy firms won't hire foreign graduates? My brother was short listed for 3 jobs with law firms and received one offer, I am not there but definitely the guy applied for graduate vacancies and the rules clearly state that any registered employed can hire any amount of foreign graduates that they want, so long as the job pay minimum £20,000.
Nothing in this is rocket science. There is a list on the government website that clearly states who you can work for and it contains thousand upon thousands of companies on that's list.
All one needs to do is, search for job and then make sure that this employer is on that approved list (here is that list) http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/employersandsponsors/pointsbasedsystem/pbsregisterofsponsors

For my sister it was more difficult but she went through recruitment agency, but she already had many years work experience and a masters so that is helping her, and all jobs she has applied for we're approved employers on that list.
All I am saying is go out and look for job, PSW or now PSW. All PSW did was give you an extra time to search, but any serious-minded career focused person, even nder PSW, wouldn't have taken job for less than 20k per year so the only difference that PSW cancellation makes is that one has to be quick to start applying.

In which way am I not current?

you have just wasted this space trying to explain an issue you don't have an in-depth knowledge about. grin please don't give prospective students false hope of utopia in UK. I believe in letting them know the true situation of things so that they won't be too disappointed when they come in and see things for themselves. it was one privilege I never had and i'm ready to go out of my way to educate anyone that cares to listen - though I'll reiterate that I'm not discouraging anyone. it's only fair they know what they are in for.

now, back to your points. I'll break down the current situation of things to you in a more simplified explanation. before now, students are entitled to a 16months visa for a 1yr program. usually the one year program lasts 12months leaving them with 4months additional time to relax, work full time and prolly convoke. most sessions start september. this means that if you start septembr 2011, you'll be granted a visa that will expire decmbr 2012 (16months) although your program ends Augst 2012, you'll have additional 4months sept - decmbr. again, after decembr you have a privilege to apply for 24months PSW. so total, you are entitled to 16 + 24 = 40 months. you'll agree with me that 36months is enough time than 12 - 16months [which is only what students are entitled to now] to search for a job.

secondly, while you are on a tier 4 [student visa], you CAN NEVER , I REPEAT NEVER get a full time job that can pay you £20,000. even if you excel in the interview and get such a job (which is 99.99% unlikely), your student visa will NOT permit you to take up such a full time job during term time. now, here is the problem, your visa reads 20hrs/week how can you get such a job within 12months of your study since you argue that students should start searching early - can you get such a job with your Nigerian first degree? i'm quite sure that your UK Msc certificate wouldn't be out to enable you secure that job undecided you must be a magician to get such a job without UK certificate!.

how many organisations will offer you such a job with a Nigerian certificate because your certificate [of UK PG masters] wont be out until after studies [16months]. the earliest you can get after 12mnth is a ref.letter stating that you have finished your studies.Not until you convoke in decmbr, your real certificate will NOT be out. this means you have 4months remaining [Sept -Decmbr]to use your ref letter to search for such a job that will pay you £20,000 for you to stay back.

lastly, don't forget that the new employment rule favours UK nationals and EU citizens firstly, before other internationals are considered. with the current unemployment rocking other EU citizens in recent years, there has been massive influx of many unemployed EU citizens [such as Greece , Spain e.t.c] into UK. so, whenever any little space for a vacancy is advertised, you are most likely to see displaced/unemployed people from EU who lost their jobs to the recession competing with you [from Africa] for the same post [even in menial jobs/PT jobs]. so, your chances of being taken reduces because the rule states that - only on the account that there is no UK/EU citizen qualified for such a job should other country nationals be taken. it's VERY difficult to find a £20,000 job that NO UK/EU citizen is also applying for.

I hope I have made my points. or do you need more clarifications?
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by Ronaldo200(m): 1:18am On Jul 09, 2012
pato405:

you have just wasted this space trying to explain an issue you don't have an in-depth knowledge about. grin please don't give prospective students false hope of utopia in UK. I believe in letting them know the true situation of things so that they won't be too disappointed when they come in and see things for themselves. it was one privilege I never had and i'm ready to go out of my way to educate anyone that cares to listen - though I'll reiterate that I'm not discouraging anyone. it's only fair they know what they are in for.

now, back to your points. I'll break down the current situation of things to you in a more simplified explanation. before now, students are entitled to a 16months visa for a 1yr program. usually the one year program lasts 12months leaving them with 4months additional time to relax, work full time and prolly convoke. most sessions start september. this means that if you start septembr 2011, you'll be granted a visa that will expire decmbr 2012 (16months) although your program ends Augst 2012, you'll have additional 4months sept - decmbr. again, after decembr you have a privilege to apply for 24months PSW. so total, you are entitled to 16 + 24 = 40 months. you'll agree with me that 36months is enough time than 12 - 16months [which is only what students are entitled to now] to search for a job.

secondly, while you are on a tier 4 [student visa], you CAN NEVER , I REPEAT NEVER get a full time job that can pay you £20,000pounds. even if you excel in the interview and get such a job (which is 99.99% unlikely), your student visa will NOT permit you to take up such a full time job during term time. now, here is the problem, your visa reads 20hrs/week how can you get such a job within 12months of your study since you argue that students should start searching early - with your Nigerian first degree? undecided you must be a magician!.

thirdly,how many organisations will offer you such a job with a Nigerian certificate because your certificate [of UK PG masters] wont be out until after studies [16months]. the earliest you can get after 12mnth is a ref.letter stating that you have finished your studies.Not until you convoke in decmbr, your real certificate will NOT be out. this means you have 4months remaining to use your ref letter to search for such a job that will pay you £20,000 for you to stay back.

lastly, don't forget that the new employment rule favours UK nationals and EU citizens firstly, before other internationals are considered. with the current unemployment rocking other EU citizens in recent years, there has been massive influx of many unemployed EU citizens [such as Greece , Spain e.t.c] into UK. so, whenever any little space for a vacancy is advertised, you are most likely to see displaced/unemployed people from EU who lost their jobs to the recession competing with you [from Africa] for the same post [even in menial jobs/PT jobs]. so, your chances of being taken reduces because the rule states that - only on the account that there is no UK/EU citizen qualified for such a job should other country nationals be taken. it's VERY difficult to find a £20,000 job that NO UK/EU citizen is also applying for.

I hope I have made my points. or do you need more clarifications?

Which school are you at because you are a very MISINFORMED individual.

We are talking about POST - STUDY jobs. My brother has a job, and I will name the employer, with MORGAN STANLEY paying in excess of 30k for when he graduates. Have you never heard of milk round? This is what one calls GRADUATE JOBS, you just be very thick and have wasted the money and time your parents spent on your education. Every and I repeat every major employer has graduate program schemes in places for perspective graduates (EU or non-Eu), most of them stipulate that you must have a 2.1 or above. I am talking about GRADUATE JOBS for when one has finished studies, here you are talking about part time jobs.

I repeat and I will repeat this again, any decent student would have been applying for graduate jobs since October of their final year. If you are/were amongst those waiting for your final result and graduation to be done with before even applying for graduate jobs, then sorry my friend buys you have missed the boat and deservedly so. Never before has information been so freely available, and yet people have been so grossly misinformed. Quite unfortunate.

Please read the laws also, and I advise you that if you ave already graduated go back and get real advice from somebody. There IS a law that if anybody wants to employ a non-EU person(eg someone from Africa) they have to show that there is no UK or EU citizen capable of doing that job. The reality is that this makes it very very difficult. HOWEVER, the new rule of April 2012 makes it clear that new niter national graduates are excluded from this.....ie the employers doesn't ave to show that a non EU national isn't available. Very simple.

Please my friend, go and inform yourself. I am not sure if you gave job or not, maybe you do, maybe u don like it in the UK, and want to warn others against it and that is quite OK also, but don't use incorrect facts and statements to try and validate your points......

1 Like

Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by pato405(m): 1:34am On Jul 09, 2012
Ronaldo200:

Which school are you at because you are a very MISINFORMED individual.

We are talking about POST - STUDY jobs. My brother has a job, and I will name the employer, with MORGAN STANLEY paying in excess of 30k for when he graduates. Have you never heard of milk round? This is what one calls GRADUATE JOBS, you just be very thick and have wasted the money and time your parents spent on your education. Every and I repeat every major employer has graduate program schemes in places for perspective graduates (EU or non-Eu), most of them stipulate that you must have a 2.1 or above. I am talking about GRADUATE JOBS for when one has finished studies, here you are talking about part time jobs.

I repeat and I will repeat this again, any decent student would have been applying for graduate jobs since October of their final year. If you are/were amongst those waiting for your final result and graduation to be done with before even applying for graduate jobs, then sorry my friend buys you have missed the boat and deservedly so. Never before has information been so freely available, and yet people have been so grossly misinformed. Quite unfortunate.

Please read the laws also, and I advise you that if you ave already graduated go back and get real advice from somebody. There IS a law that if anybody wants to employ a non-EU person(eg someone from Africa) they have to show that there is no UK or EU citizen capable of doing that job. The reality is that this makes it very very difficult. HOWEVER, the new rule of April 2012 makes it clear that new niter national graduates are excluded from this.....ie the employers doesn't ave to show that a non EU national isn't available. Very simple.

Please my friend, go and inform yourself. I am not sure if you gave job or not, maybe you do, maybe u don like it in the UK, and want to warn others against it and that is quite OK also, but don't use incorrect facts and statements to try and validate your points......

my friend, you are VERY daft! even a person with Down's syndromme is smarter than you are. comprehension is your problem. the syntax of your grammar requires a lot of editing to make meaning. and for your information, my parents are NOT paying a dime for my studies in the UK. I've been here in the UK for 4yrs and still counting. I'm FULLY funded by the UK government on a novel piece of research with ORIGINAL contribution to knowledge base. I'm not blowing my trumpet but who cares if I do?

FYI, you are here harping about PSW that has been C-A-N-C-E-L-L-E-D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY WHY WHY do you want to mis-inform others that they can get PSW visas to get £20,000 job! you are a judge of UK matters and using your sibblings as reference point. you have NOT provided sufficient information about when they finished, whether they had their undergrads here and whether they were among those who got a £20,000 job within the 1yr period they were given for an MSC programme or whether they got it after their certificate was given to them (after 12months). if they got it immediately after 12months of study, what month exactly? now, students only have 12months to achieve that feat which is unlikely.

eat well, may be you are hungry and your hunger is affecting your comprehension. go back after eating and read my post again. the point I'm making is that in as much as it is possible to get a job worth more than £20,000 [or even your brothers £30,000], it is difficult to achieve such feat within a limited time frame of 4months i.e which is usually the time left after your 12mnths (1yr) MSc on your 16mnths tier 4 visa. if PSW were still in place, students will have enough time to search for jobs and chances of getting them will be higher because they have more time to search. SIMPLE!

guy, you so so so so DAFT!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List Of Countries Nigeria Passport Holders Can Travel Visa Free / Going To Gambia. / First International Flight Set To Be Receved At Kaduna Airport This Morning.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.