Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,818 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October (3193 Views)

Why Do We Need Computers To Process Data And Information? / First Raspberry Pi Computers To Be Delivered / Connect 20 Computers To The Internet With 1 Sim Card At 54mbps Good For Cybercaf (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by lamidex2(m): 10:38pm On Jul 09, 2012
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Computers running on the next version of Microsoft's Windows operating system will go on sale in October.

Microsoft Corp. announced the time frame for Windows 8's mass-market release Monday in Toronto. A specific sales date in October wasn't provided.

Most industry analysts expected Windows 8 would go on sale in the fall to ensure that the machines running on the operating system would be available for the holiday shopping season. Consumers and businesses who don't want to buy new computers will be able to buy Windows 8 and upgrade their systems.

New versions of Windows typically come out every three years, but this update is the most widely anticipated overhaul of the software since 1995.

Applications will appear in a mosaic of tiles on Windows 8. Microsoft also designed the operating system so it can run on personal computers or touch-based tablet computers.

Microsoft, which is based in Redmond, Wash., plans to make its own tablet running on Windows 8 to compete against Apple Inc.'s hot-selling iPad. The company hasn't yet announced a price for its tablet, which will be called the Surface. It also will be competing against a variety of other tablets, including the Kindle Fire from Amazon.com Inc. and the Nexus 7, which is being released later this month by Google Inc.

As part of its efforts to develop more touch-based software, Microsoft also announced the acquisition of Perceptive Pixel Inc. The deal gives Microsoft access to technology used in large multi-touch displays for TV broadcasters, as well as government, defense, engineering and educational markets, Microsoft said.

Terms of the Perceptive Pixel purchase weren't disclosed.

Windows 8 is being counted on to help revive demand for laptops and other personal computers.

The operating system's versatility is expected to encourage leading PC makers such as Hewlett-Packard Co. and Dell Inc. to release hybrid machines that are part laptop, part tablet computer. Both HP and Dell have also indicated they plan to release tablet computers powered by Windows 8, thrusting them into competition with Microsoft's Surface.

Microsoft is releasing Windows 8 computer manufacturers during the first week of August.

Source

1 Like

Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by mayorjo: 11:02pm On Jul 09, 2012
We are wetin, dey hv promised Dec. last year, bt it seems it's still on process.
Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by Freiburger(m): 11:14am On Jul 10, 2012
i cant wait till october.
Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by Nobody: 11:19am On Jul 10, 2012
Who cares ? One hardly sit down on computers these days.
Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by executinal(m): 11:21am On Jul 10, 2012
3 months very short, lets see
Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by TCD: 11:24am On Jul 10, 2012
This will be wonderful for me if windows 8 pops up on a tablet. Hope I can do all I do and run same programs as I can on my PC.
Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by denixii: 11:30am On Jul 10, 2012
hmm..letz wait and see
Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by moonraker(m): 11:39am On Jul 10, 2012
this info isnt correct... computer running windows 8 will not go on sale until sometime in

November or December. trust me. i work with one of them oems and testing is still on going.

ofcoursw in october you could pick up a copy of windows 8 from the store or something

or even as early as august for enterprise partners or msdn or even technet members...
Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by ariyebaba(m): 12:03pm On Jul 10, 2012
Okay we are waiting. BTW,what happen after WINDOW 8 ?
Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jul 10, 2012
ariyebaba: Okay we are waiting. BTW,what happen after WINDOW 8 ?

Maybe after that, quantum computing will be brought to fore.
Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by CY09: 12:11pm On Jul 10, 2012
Billyonaire: Who cares ? One hardly sit down on computers these days.
Speak for yourself only, am always on my system 24/7!

1 Like

Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:27pm On Jul 10, 2012
TCD: This will be wonderful for me if windows 8 pops up on a tablet. Hope I can do all I do and run same programs as I can on my PC.

clearly you are misinformed. or you have not been paying attention.

i know microsoft has tried to clarify this point severally.

your tablets will run WIN 8 RT on ARM, desktops will run anor version. and no the apps are not compatible with the other version.

go figure
Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by israelbenzion: 1:47pm On Jul 10, 2012
ariyebaba: Okay we are waiting. BTW,what happen after WINDOW 8 ?
We start with DOOR 1.

2 Likes

Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by efe22(m): 2:21pm On Jul 10, 2012
Billyonaire: Who cares ? One hardly sit down on computers these days.
I guess you be opera mini user 24/7 lol
Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by Ojix85: 3:20pm On Jul 10, 2012
4llerbuntu:

your tablets will run WIN 8 RT on ARM, desktops will run anor version. and no the apps are not compatible with the other version.

go figure

I guess its you who needs clarification... Windows 8 (Both RT and PRO) can/will run on tablets... RT with ARM processors while PRO will run with Intel Chips... Get ur facts right bruv...
Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jul 10, 2012
We are waiting
Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by Phrankin(m): 4:12pm On Jul 10, 2012
Can't wait for windows 10. Please who knows when it's coming out?
Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by braveheart2012(m): 4:57pm On Jul 10, 2012
The world has moved on from Microsoft! They are just throwing good money after bad.
Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by Manuelcrc(m): 5:01am On Jul 11, 2012
Microsoft have this "old" tag on them. They need something revolutionary to change that outlook.

Let's see if Windows 8 would change that...
Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by texazzpete(m): 7:21am On Jul 11, 2012
4llerbuntu:

go figure

Dumbass cheesy

Win 8 on tablets will come in x86 and ARM variants. Legacy apps will run on x86 tablets.
Re: Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October by TheGeneral1(m): 10:02am On Jul 11, 2012
I AM CURRENTLY USING WINDOWS 8 AND IT IS WONDERFUL!

(1) (Reply)

How To Transfer/share Files Between PC And Android Without USB / Which Network Is (mtn,glo,visa,zain) Is Best For 3g Internet / Zain : A Thieving Internet Provider

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.