Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,653 members, 7,801,903 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:52 AM

Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 (9398 Views)

Hurray! Today Is World Book Day / What Plans Do You Have For The World Book Day? / Washington Post World Book Discussion With Robert Kagan On "dangerous Nation" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by mukina2: 6:35pm On Jul 12, 2012
The city of Port Harcourt (Nigeria) was named the World Book Capital for the year 2014 after the Selection Committee, composed of representatives from the three leading international publishing associations and from UNESCO, met on 5 July at the Organization’s Headquarters.

The city of Port Harcourt was chosen “on account of the quality of its programme, in particular its focus on youth and the impact it will have on improving Nigeria’s culture of books, reading, writing and publishing to improve literacy rates,” according to the Selection Committee.

"I extend my congratulations to the city of Port Harcourt for the quality of its proposed programme, which provides for extensive public participation and aims to develop reading for all,” said the Director-General of UNESCO, Irina Bokova. “I wholeheartedly endorse the commitment of Port Harcourt to support literacy through the activities organized for the year.”

The Director-General also welcomed the number and quality of applications received by UNESCO for the title of World Book Capital 2014.

Each year, UNESCO and the three international publishing organizations—the International Publishers Association (IPA), International Booksellers Federation (IBF) and the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)—select the World Book Capital for a one-year period, effective 23 April each year. This initiative, in addition to the celebration of World Book and Copyright Day, represents a collaborative undertaking by key stakeholders in the publishing world and cities to promote books and literacy.

Port Harcourt is the 14th city to be designated World Book Capital following Madrid (2001), Alexandria (2002), New Delhi (2003), Antwerp (2004), Montreal (2005), Turin (2006), Bogota (2007), Amsterdam (2008), Beirut (2009), Ljubljana (2010), Buenos Aires (2011), Yerevan (2012) and Bangkok (2013).

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/media-services/single-view/news/port_harcourt_named_world_book_capital_2014/
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Okijajuju1(m): 6:41pm On Jul 12, 2012
Oyinbo no fit to go... because dem a enjoy it... Garden city

3 Likes

Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 12, 2012
Congratulations. But second African city. But seeing as it's a Nigerian city, this warrants ... Wait, it's a dividend of GEJ's administration. Is there a committee for this? Patience? Where? She's a director in the ministry of education, right? She did this?
I'm rambling. High on sugar. Gotta go. NPH FTW!
Read this novel, you'll love it: https://www.nairaland.com/987752/game-he-lost-novel
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by pecopeco: 6:51pm On Jul 12, 2012
NA THEM SABI OOOOOO
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by courage89(m): 6:53pm On Jul 12, 2012
What are the benefits of been named world book capital?

1 Like

Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by tpia5: 6:54pm On Jul 12, 2012
does anywhere read more than sw'ern nigeria?

seriously.
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by lyricalpontiff(m): 6:56pm On Jul 12, 2012
Yes W̶̲̥̅̊e̶̲̥̅̊ deserve it very well,W̶̲̥̅̊e̶̲̥̅̊ host d biggest bƠ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴͡k festival I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ Africa which Ȋ̝̊̅§ d garden city bƠ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴͡k festival which comes up annually.
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 12, 2012
World book capital? E be like say dem count all the plenty bibles wey dey the state.

only my pastor get new living, new international, revised standard, king james plus including open heaven and laffsody..
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 12, 2012
tpia@:

seriously.
We are not talking about palm reading here? tilapia, how water?

7 Likes

Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 12, 2012
Seriously, it's worth the read. A romantic action novel. Based on Boko Haram: https://www.nairaland.com/987752/game-he-lost-novel
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by tpia5: 6:58pm On Jul 12, 2012
lyricalpontiff: Yes W̶̲̥̅̊e̶̲̥̅̊ deserve it very well,W̶̲̥̅̊e̶̲̥̅̊ host d biggest bƠ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴͡k festival I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ Africa which Ȋ̝̊̅§ d garden city bƠ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴͡k festival which comes up annually.

trying to decipher your post but if the award is based on hosting book festivals then that's it i guess.

hosting a book festival actually has little to do with having a reading culture.
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by tpia5: 7:01pm On Jul 12, 2012
musKeeto:

site admin:

this user is an irritant and tends to derail threads.

5 Likes

Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Okijajuju1(m): 7:02pm On Jul 12, 2012
musKeeto:

Priceless

1 Like

Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 12, 2012
Port Harcourt was chosen cos no other City is ready to host an organization that has no relevance to present day realities.
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Koolking(m): 7:07pm On Jul 12, 2012
At present, what is the literacy level in PH to be named book capital 2014? Methinks, this is rather political not factual
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Okijajuju1(m): 7:09pm On Jul 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Port Harcourt was chosen cos no other City is ready to host an organization that has no relevance to present day realities.

I had no idea UNESCO HQ was in Port Harcourt...

Dude! Seriously, who supplies you your weed? I like the way you get so high and fhucked up off of it
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 12, 2012
Okija_juju:

I had no idea UNESCO HQ was in Port Harcourt...

Dude! Seriously, who supplies you your weed? I like the way you get so high and fhucked up off of it
If I insult you here, will I be charged for animal abuse ?

1 Like

Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Okijajuju1(m): 7:12pm On Jul 12, 2012
Billyonaire: If I insult you here, will I be charged for animal abuse ?

I wasn't insulting you... Just needed you to hook a brother up with your dealer...
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Caracta(f): 7:13pm On Jul 12, 2012
As in WORLD?
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Revolva(m): 7:13pm On Jul 12, 2012
World book as in what does that help the city and nigeria
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 12, 2012
Wetin consign me!
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 12, 2012
Wetin consign me! Moreoveer how does it affect the lives of rivers pple?
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 12, 2012
Koolking: At present, what is the literacy level in PH to be named book capital 2014? Methinks, this is rather political not factual

Maybe to encourage them to step up their game.

You know, it is quite encouraging.
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jul 12, 2012
Okija_juju:

I wasn't insulting you... Just needed you to hook a brother up with your dealer...
You have been parading your ignorance on this forum, the next time you wanna respond to my assertion please put on a thinking cap. My opinion is not food for the dogs.
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Azidogen2: 7:49pm On Jul 12, 2012
Na because say na only for PH WEY THEM DEY sabi BOOK BABES well well FOR F**KING purpose PASS ALL THE CITIES OF NAIJA. Welldone!!!
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Ninapha(f): 7:51pm On Jul 12, 2012
berem: Wetin consign me! Moreoveer how does it affect the lives of rivers pple?
. Na consignment concern u.

1 Like

Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by tony4244(m): 8:28pm On Jul 12, 2012
THIS IS GREAT NEWS... CONGRATS TO GOVERNOR ROTIMI AMECHI OF RIVERS STATE... ANYONE IN PORT HARCOURT CAN PROUDLY SAY THAT RIVERS STATE HAS THE BEST PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN THE COUNTRY RIGHT NOW. THEY ARE EVEN BETTER THAN MOST PRIVATE SCHOOLS IN TERMS OF INFRASTRUCTURE, ENVIRONMENT AND QUALITY OF TEACHERS. AND THEY ARE FREE WITH FREE BOOKS TOO..... WELDONE AMECHI AND NIGERIA... AT LEAST ONE GOOD NEWS COMING FROM NIGERIA....

2 Likes

Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jul 12, 2012
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Ejine(m): 9:09pm On Jul 12, 2012
lyricalpontiff: Yes W̶̲̥̅̊e̶̲̥̅̊ deserve it very well,W̶̲̥̅̊e̶̲̥̅̊ host d biggest bƠ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴͡k festival I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ Africa which Ȋ̝̊̅§ d garden city bƠ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴͡k festival which comes up annually.

My broda, no vex, but why can't you write like a normal human being?
Is there something I'm missing here?
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by crackhouse(m): 9:43pm On Jul 12, 2012
Can anything good be told abt naija?. Just sipping my gin and peeping through the curtain. I am all ears.
Re: Port-Harcourt Named World Book Capital 2014 by Obijulius: 9:44pm On Jul 12, 2012
tpia@:

seriously.

Jealousy, drop ur tribalism and celebrate with them, and pls stop counding Lagos cos its a mix of all nigerians.
Mugu...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You / The Last Duty By Isidore Okpewho / Top 10 Stories Of July

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.