Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,788 members, 7,802,459 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:48 PM

It's Not IBO But IGBO! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / It's Not IBO But IGBO! (1760 Views)

"Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" / Igbo Or Ibo? / What Are You? Yoruba, Ibo or Hausa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It's Not IBO But IGBO! by Antivirus92(m): 9:34pm On Jul 12, 2012
I have heard and seen so many people addressing the igbo people as "IBOS" .It also occur among igbos.Some gave their reasons based on what they think leaving the fact behind.It is widely known that the word "IBO" came to exist as a result of the early european missionaries and colonists inability to pronounce the word "IGBO" correctly. They end up calling us "IBOS".Today so many people of igbo and non-igbo extractions have been using this wrong term to refer to the igbos.we may forgive those outsiders because maybe they could not pronounce "IGBO" very well. The most painful one is the igbos who uses that wrong term.some of them think that they are too educated to pronounce it just the same way people in the villages do.some say that the people are "IBOS"while the language is "IGBO".This claim is totally lie and have no support.If that is the case,why did our anscestors make use of "igbo" and not "ibo".They answer names like igboanugo,igboananike,igboamaka etc so these our anscestors using igbo as prefix in their name are refering to the language and not the people? Ikemba odumegwu ojukwu had the tittle of ezeigbo gburu gburug,so the igbo he was governing is the language and not the people?There are communities like igboukwu,igbouzo,igboariam etc,so these communities are refering to the only the language with their names? I always blame the parents who failed to teach their children the truth about things.portuguese is a language and the people are portuguese,spanish is a language and the people are spanish/spaniard,french,english are languages and the people are french and english respectively.SO WHY IS THE IGBO CASE DIFFERENT?lets wisen up my fellow IGBOS!
Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by AndreUweh(m): 12:50am On Jul 13, 2012
Your continous usage of Igbos in this thread is wrong. The plural form of Igbo is NdiIgbo (Ndigbo. You may also use Igbo people or the Igbo as plural. The Igbos is wrong just as a people from England are called the English not Englands or Englishs.
Ibo===wrong.
Igbos==wrong
Ndigbo===correct.

3 Likes

Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by odumchi: 1:06am On Jul 13, 2012
I feel you guys. It just reaks of ignorance when someone (especially an Nigerian) in today's world writes 'Ibo' instead of 'Igbo'. I support Andre's statement. Igbo is not an English word, therefore the rules of the English language don't apply to it. The singular form of 'Igbo' is 'Igbo' and the plural form is also 'Igbo' or 'Ndi Igbo' just as the plural form of 'Indus' (a Latin word) is 'Indies' and not 'Induses'.

For example:
"There are many Igbo here" is "Ndi Igbo do otutu ebe a".
"We are all Igbo" is "Anyi dum wucha ndi Igbo".
Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by Antivirus92(m): 4:30am On Jul 13, 2012
Andre Uweh: Your continous usage of Igbos in this thread is wrong. The plural form of Igbo is NdiIgbo (Ndigbo. You may also use Igbo people or the Igbo as plural. The Igbos is wrong just as a people from England are called the English not Englands or Englishs.
Ibo===wrong.
Igbos==wrong
Ndigbo===correct.
thanks bros for ur correction.i do appreciate.
Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by AndreUweh(m): 8:00pm On Jul 13, 2012
@Antivirus92 and Odumchi, thanks a lot.
The other day, I couldn't help laughing when one Igbo chap wrote ''we ndigbos will fight to finish''. It's so funny.
Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by Nobody: 2:47am On Sep 30, 2012
odumchi: I feel you guys. It just reaks of ignorance when someone (especially an Nigerian) in today's world writes 'Ibo' instead of 'Igbo'. I support Andre's statement. Igbo is not an English word, therefore the rules of the English language don't apply to it. The singular form of 'Igbo' is 'Igbo' and the plural form is also 'Igbo' or 'Ndi Igbo' just as the plural form of 'Indus' (a Latin word) is 'Indies' and not 'Induses'.

For example:
"There are many Igbo here" is "Ndi Igbo do otutu ebe a".
"We are all Igbo" is "Anyi dum wucha ndi Igbo".

well why is it always pronounced as "EEBO"
and not IG-BO? in documentaries
Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by odumchi: 3:07am On Sep 30, 2012
*Kails*:

well why is it always pronounced as "EEBO"
and not IG-BO? in documentaries

The proper pronunciation isn't "eebo", it's pronounced "I-gbò". The 'gb' is a diphthong and it produces a sound that is alien to English.

People (especially non-Africans) sometimes fail to pronounce that 'gb' sometimes out of sheer ignorance, most times because they can't (or atleast find it hard to).

1 Like

Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by Nobody: 3:15am On Sep 30, 2012
odumchi:

It isn't pronounced "eebo", it's pronounced "I-gbò". The 'gb' is a diphthong and it produces a sound that is alien to English.

undecided

So basically for us English speakers "gb" is just silent?
I want to hear someone who is Igbo say it, so I would know the proper way to.
Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by odumchi: 3:30am On Sep 30, 2012
*Kails*:

undecided

So basically for us English speakers "gb" is just silent?
I want to hear someone who is Igbo say it, so I would know the proper way to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6yYLxcPJiA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The Igbo language has a host of sounds that don't exist in English (kw, kp, nw, gb, and zh). In the intro, she pronounces the word 'Igbo' but you can also go to 1:50 to hear how 'gb' is pronounced.
Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by Nobody: 3:35am On Sep 30, 2012
Im still watching the video but OOOOOMG!!! cheesy

Your word for bug is the same as our in Jamaica!! cheesy cheesy

we say "chink"!!!!

and we also say "poto-poto" for sloppy/muddy!! cheesy cheesy
Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by Nobody: 3:46am On Sep 30, 2012
Ok, so I have watched the video and have realized that the "g" is more so for stressing and is not to be pronounced as a separate syllable...to say I-gggg-bo is just as wrong as EEbo.

It's simply I-gbo. smiley

Thanks a million Odumchi!

1 Like

Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by odumchi: 3:53am On Sep 30, 2012
Lol no problem.

1 Like

Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by Antivirus92(m): 4:23am On Sep 30, 2012
Odumchi nnukwu onye nkuzi! Daalu nnukwu. I wish many people could be like you.
Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by ACM10: 1:01pm On Sep 30, 2012
Andre Uweh: Your continous usage of Igbos in this thread is wrong. The plural form of Igbo is NdiIgbo (Ndigbo. You may also use Igbo people or the Igbo as plural. The Igbos is wrong just as a people from England are called the English not Englands or Englishs.
Ibo===wrong.
Igbos==wrong
Ndigbo===correct.

Noted cool
I made that mistake on several occasions, but thanks for the correction.
Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by odumchi: 2:14pm On Sep 30, 2012
Antivirus92: Odumchi nnukwu onye nkuzi! Daalu nnukwu. I wish many people could be like you.

Ndeeeewo oo.
Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by MrsChima(f): 2:28pm On Sep 30, 2012
I always say Igbo and how my husband say it...it sounds like he is say eg bo. I have hear many nigerians say it differently.
Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by amor4ce(m): 3:36am On Oct 03, 2012
Does 'Nd' in 'Ndigbo' mean 'breed'? I ask because chino11 mentioned in another thread that "Anambrans are hardworking and industrious breeds of igbos", and prior to that I hadn't come across such. Is that term appropriate?
Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by odumchi: 4:51am On Oct 03, 2012
amor4ce: Does 'Nd' in 'Ndigbo' mean 'breed'? I ask because chino11 mentioned in another thread that "Anambrans are hardworking and industrious breeds of igbos", and prior to that I hadn't come across such. Is that term appropriate?

'Ndi' means either a collection of persons (people) or a collection of objects.

For example:

Ndi Igbo means the Igbo people

Ndi Nigeria means Nigerian people

Komputa ndi a means these computers.

2 Likes

Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by Nobody: 9:20am On Oct 03, 2012
interesting. smiley
Re: It's Not IBO But IGBO! by amor4ce(m): 2:24am On Oct 04, 2012
Thanks odumchi!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Any Interesting Places To Visit In Benin City? / Beauty Of Masqurade In African Culture / Similarities Between Igbo Age Grade Tradition And Jewish Bar Mitzvah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.