Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,947 members, 7,806,741 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:19 PM

Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? (25579 Views)

Who Says You Can't Make It Through The Internet. Do It On Fiverr Today! / Top 19 Lucrative Business You Can Start In Nigeria With Less Money / 5 Hot Business You Can Start With 10,000-100,000,000 Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by DExplorer1: 7:13pm On Jul 13, 2012
Another Okija:

I couldnt agree more.. Target a City like Ekiti State.. Buy like two Pickups for 1.5 million.. Employ some Ekiti State boys, go to their GRA and offer to come 3 times a week to carry and dispose of their trash for a fee.. You dont even have to touch the bin.. Just have your boys do it. EKITI is a poor state so they work for less than minimum wage.. Just one idea..

You bi m.u.m.u my own state poor shey. Bad advice! Bro, abeg target commercial states o, Ogun could be beta for a starter like you. Lagos is a Jungle and wit ur akata smell, u go need to rough am here big time. For a peaceful settlement, i'd advice Ogun-state.

You Need To Read These! After Aborting 3 Times For Him, He's Set To Marry Another Lady This Month.

21 Reasons He Hasn't Proposed to You Yet

16 Regular Mistakes Singles Make in Relationships

25 Warning Signs of a Possible Break up in Your Relationship

16 Raw but Bitter Truths Ladies Must Know
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Fourcade(m): 7:14pm On Jul 13, 2012
buzugee: hate your mother for birthing such a r-etard like you

OP- i am going to give you a good advise. ignore all these clowns. everything they are suggesting requires an element of luck. buying and selling is a razz mans business. after 15 years in the uk i am not sure you want to stoop that low. my advice ? see if you can persevere for like 3 more months in the uk. go to city colleges like manchester city college. what you need is not a degree like these clowns are suggesting. what you need is a trade. go for their barbing course. dedicate yourself to it and make sure you become the best barber. specialize in lining the hair perfectly because nothing black men love more than a perfectly lined hairline and side burns. once you do the course ( only takes about 3 months or less ). come home after buying your barbering kit ( very cheap. £100 at most ). in naija use that money to set up a trendy barbing spot. hardwood floors, nice decor, comfy sofas with lots of magazines. this is a skill that will feed you for the rest of your life. black men love to have their hair looking nice. and try to target posh people. make sure you become a man about town and hand out your business cards to celebs or just people that look trendy. before you know it your spot will be the hangout spot. you will be making money hand over fist.
Clap for yourself now...you too much!!! grin

1 Like

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 13, 2012
Sir it would help, if you have something formed at the back of your mind like designs, merchandising...etc the pros and cons can be assessed effectively here
ttlabi: Some people have been trying to send me a "Private Message". Please I dont know how it works

If you have any important information to mail me, please mail talabi_tayo@yahoo.com

Thank you.
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jul 13, 2012
991:

with all due respect sir, i disagree with you. i returned to Nigeria few years back with a lesser amount than the poster have. today, na so so testimony i dey give.

Well i guess everyone's situation is different. I have a friend who gave up also here in the US after completing his masters and couldn't find a job. He went back to Naija shouting there is money to make etc. this was 5 years ago. Fast forward to now and he is still staying with his parents with no job! And may i point out, he is not from a poor family, at least average. NIGERIA has a very ROUGH and HARSH environment! FACT!. All i am saying is this, he has to really think carefully of what he will be going BACK TO!!!!!
The poster needs to really consider everything critically and not just JUMP SHIP!!! If he is so desperate now that he is determined to go back to NAIJA where all ODDS are against him, he might as well use that same determination and readiness wherever he is now! WHY GO BACK TO A COUNTRY WHERE EVEN IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY, THE ENVIRONMENT IS JUST TOO HARSH TO ENJOY THE THING!!!!! NAIJA FOR ME IS A LOST CAUSE .....JUST MY OPINION! SO I WILL STILL WISH THE OP ALL THE BEST IN TAKING THIS GIANT STEP!

4 Likes

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by mikeapollo: 7:25pm On Jul 13, 2012
My friend,
Unless you have some experience in a family/personal business that you may want to re-start, I would not advise you to just go into any business with N2.5m(£10,000).
Being a graduate and having spent 15 years in the UK, I would seriously advise you to get a Masters degree in a good field/area.
It will pay you better in the long run. You can consider MSc in Information Technology or E-Business Technology in some UK schools(Cost is between £9000-£13000 on the average. Or you can get some practical knowledge/skills/certification in SAP if you can. These can open many opportunities for you both in UK and Nigeria when you return. You can learn SAP in UK, become a consultant, get the experience.....jobs/projects will be looking for you.

If you want to come to Nigeria and you know of any business to do, you may venture into it. But genrally speaking, the businesses that are doing well, especially in Lagos/Ogun State axis are:

1.Commercial Transportation... You can get some good Ford or VW buses to use for commercial purposes

2.Truck / Haulage Business....trucks like MAN DIESEL, MACK & DAF are the common trucks. A good one can serve you well enough to buy another one. You can arrange with some manufacturing/shipping companies in Sango, Apapa, etc for haulage and transportation of their goods. You need a good driver

3.Restaurant/Bar/Drinking Joints.....Nigerians like to drink! Shayo na bastard!

4.Chemist/Pharmacy.....No drugs in the hospitals so we all patronise the road-side sellers. But you may need to use/partner with a licenced nurse/doctor/pharmacist for you to have a licence store

5.Politics..... is another area where ypu can make money if you have the time, mind and ruggedness.

Anything you decide to do in Nigeria(especially if it requires an office/shop), you must budget for power/light, water, poor infrastructure, bureaucratic delays, corruption, lawlessness, fraudters etc

Best of luck

1 Like

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by mikeapollo: 7:25pm On Jul 13, 2012
My friend,
Unless you have some experience in a family/personal business that you may want to re-start, I would not advise you to just go into any business with N2.5m(£10,000).
Being a graduate and having spent 15 years in the UK, I would seriously advise you to get a Masters degree in a good field/area.
It will pay you better in the long run. You can consider MSc in Information Technology or E-Business Technology in some UK schools(Cost is between £9000-£13000 on the average. Or you can get some practical knowledge/skills/certification in SAP if you can. These can open many opportunities for you both in UK and Nigeria when you return. You can learn SAP in UK, become a consultant, get the experience.....jobs/projects will be looking for you.

If you want to come to Nigeria and you know of any business to do, you may venture into it. But genrally speaking, the businesses that are doing well, especially in Lagos/Ogun State axis are:

1.Commercial Transportation... You can get some good Ford or VW buses to use for commercial purposes

2.Truck / Haulage Business....trucks like MAN DIESEL, MACK & DAF are the common trucks. A good one can serve you well enough to buy another one. You can arrange with some manufacturing/shipping companies in Sango, Apapa, etc for haulage and transportation of their goods. You need a good driver

3.Restaurant/Bar/Drinking Joints.....Nigerians like to drink! Shayo na bastard!

4.Chemist/Pharmacy.....No drugs in the hospitals so we all patronise the road-side sellers. But you may need to use/partner with a licenced nurse/doctor/pharmacist for you to have a licence store

5.Politics..... is another area where ypu can make money if you have the time, mind and ruggedness.

Best of luck
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by ttlabi: 7:26pm On Jul 13, 2012
shymmex: Business plan...

China to Nigeria...

£10,000 on Chinese goods will get you loads of stuff to sell, and double your money within a month...

Just travel to china, and spend your money wisely.

Is this feasible? You kept mentioning it?

Flight cost alone from Nigerian to China should be high, No?

after the flight cost, how much goods will I buy that will give me the amount I spent on the flight and still give me enough profit?

If you have more information/feasibility on this bizness can you mail me please ********
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Kakatazz(f): 7:29pm On Jul 13, 2012
I really like your courage because its not easy making such decision after 15yrs.I have a lot of ideas and trust Me you can make it with even half of that.Its all about discipline.I will send u a mail.
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jul 13, 2012
The same thing that you left the country to seek in other countries is now bringing you back. The earlier you realise that the grass is not greener on the other side but is only as green as you make it, the better for you. Take your destiny in your hands and control your life or someone will! shocked

1 Like

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by dayokanu(m): 7:49pm On Jul 13, 2012
My brother I would give you some ideas.

Can you open a beer parlour? I thin k its a very good business, target the sururb, get a shop close to the main road and have loud music, Asun, Suya and you are set

Those suggesting haulage. 2.5m cannot buy a truck, ship and clear it into Lagos, Buying emblem, insurance and also doing some minor maintenance

You can also open a church and stage miracles there. Get fine girls in your church too and ppl would troop in
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by olaxxx2015(m): 7:56pm On Jul 13, 2012
dayokanu: My brother I would give you some ideas.

Can you open a beer parlour? I thin k its a very good business, target the sururb, get a shop close to the main road and have loud music, Asun, Suya and you are set

Those suggesting haulage. 2.5m cannot buy a truck, ship and clear it into Lagos, Buying emblem, insurance and also doing some minor maintenance

You can also open a church and stage miracles there. Get fine girls in your church too and ppl would troop in
Bros. It true. You can also start bulk sales of pure water later you can start your own production.
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Soulcaine(m): 7:59pm On Jul 13, 2012
U can make it with 500 pounds. U dont even need up to a thou. Jst open ur eyes and look for what dey do there dat spins money and voila naija awaits ur hammer. Succes bro.

1 Like

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by karlfon: 8:04pm On Jul 13, 2012
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 13, 2012
engineerd:

Well i guess everyone's situation is different. I have a friend who gave up also here in the US after completing his masters and couldn't find a job. He went back to Naija shouting there is money to make etc. this was 5 years ago. Fast forward to now and he is still staying with his parents with no job! And may i point out, he is not from a poor family, at least average. NIGERIA has a very ROUGH and HARSH environment! FACT!. All i am saying is this, he has to really think carefully of what he will be going BACK TO!!!!!
The poster needs to really consider everything critically and not just JUMP SHIP!!! If he is so desperate now that he is determined to go back to NAIJA where all ODDS are against him, he might as well use that same determination and readiness wherever he is now! WHY GO BACK TO A COUNTRY WHERE EVEN IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY, THE ENVIRONMENT IS JUST TOO HARSH TO ENJOY THE THING!!!!! NAIJA FOR ME IS A LOST CAUSE .....JUST MY OPINION! SO I WILL STILL WISH THE OP ALL THE BEST IN TAKING THIS GIANT STEP!

thanks for the insight Bro, however, the poster is (1.) in his early 40s (2.) have lived in the UK for 15yrs (3.) have kids with a UK woman (4.) is sick and tired of living in the UK (5.) has decided to go back to naija to settle.
i see no room for argument on whether or not he should stay back. the decision to come back is his 100%, our argument is totally on what he should do with the amount he has and not encouraging him to stay more. your said friend left US 5yrs ago, i suppose you know that 5yrs ago the poster had stayed 10yrs in the UK and still not wanting to go. now he has decided to go, let him go! advise him on what to do in Nigeria, period!
finally, Sir, i wonder what you mean by HARSH ENVIRONMENT? nevertheless, if you have time to TV news recently, you would know its a global phenomenon and not in naija only. the only big headache we have now is bokoharam but that is all happening in the Northernistan.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Ninilowo(m): 8:20pm On Jul 13, 2012
If u have the gut, buy 20 bikes and start ur own park. u will become OLUAYE and BABA IBE or Baba alaye of the park. B4 u know what is happening, O TI JE LO NIYEN.
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by facebreak(m): 8:30pm On Jul 13, 2012
Uhm..n0 c0me naija ö.
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by member479760: 8:37pm On Jul 13, 2012
You tried self for saving 10 grands, a lot of guys stayed over 20 years no kobo in their account, pool house is their best bet.

don't rush yourself, as you are still in early 40 go back to school, spend another 6 years to get your PhD while you start building your own house in Naija, get those land of 600,000 naira Ogun state closed to Lagos.

In 6 years from now your PhD is ready, house is ready and you are ready for new life. with our population and more universities coming up the PhD degree will be your last hope if business failed and your house no one will chase you out. you can always starts LESSON in you compound with internet activities. you wouldn't need to pay anyone monthly rent.

DON'T RUSH TO NAIJA. MOST OF US OUTSIDE ARE FACING SAME SHIT.
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by dexter1983(m): 8:49pm On Jul 13, 2012
IF YOU ARE VERY GOOD AND KNOWLEDGEABLE IN FX,INVEST A MILLION IN FOREX TRADING AND MAKE A RETURN OF 1 MILLION YEARLY OR 70K MONTHLY.

1 Like

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by MumaBee: 8:51pm On Jul 13, 2012
Did you ve papers to go back if the business fail, because nija no easy, if u ve paper u don't nid to come n stay in nija, jus b buy guds like lapi and BB to resale
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Connoisseur(m): 9:02pm On Jul 13, 2012
If you have 10000 pounds like you say; locate metrotex in London, they deal in textiles. Send me a pm. You might not need to come back gan.
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by gunuvi(m): 9:13pm On Jul 13, 2012
East or west no place like home. I have also worked and lived abroad for years before I relocated to Nigeria. I started a Coconut business and I always thank God that I went into that. I am happy today with my wife and kids and we are very comfortable.
I will direct you to this link below if interested.
www.nairaland.com/989556/invest-a1m-partner-us-get
Secondly, if you go into this partnership with us, ill advise you relocate to Badagry instead of inside Lagos so you can have peace, rest, and most importantly, monitor your investment too with us.
Badagry is very peacefull and that's a place where you can get cheap accomodation, foods and fun as its equally a tourist haven.
If you are interested, send a mail to us at... Sebasicoconutltd@gmail.com or call 08136751499. Its one of the best legitimate deal you can get here in Nigeria
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by blasterman(m): 9:23pm On Jul 13, 2012
with £10000 if i were u i will buy a lot of mobile phones,laptops and ipad kind of gadgets. U shd be able to get some fairly new or used ones in UK. Then come to naija for trial and see if you can make a profit from selling them.

Or buy used cars send it here and sell
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Chinom(m): 9:26pm On Jul 13, 2012
@OP i can relate to your story. I found myself in such a situation once. Infact, i'm not even fully out of it. My advice to you is to MOVE now. At 40+ years and 15 years in the UK, your motivation to undertake any venture solely in the UK is zero. Once the motivation and enthusiasm goes,it will be very hard for you to bring yourself to do any meaningful thing in the UK anymore. Carrying on with odd jobs will totally kill your spirit.
Procrastination is very dangerous.
People have been known to start businesses in Europe with 10,000pounds, talk less of Nigeria.When you return to Nigeria, lie low for a while and figure out for yourself what exactly you want to do. Do not use other people's experiences to make decisions that will affect you. From your post, it's obvious you're fed up with living in UK. Now, focus on how you can use that money to start something in Nigeria. 10,000 POUNDS IS ENOUGH TO START A BIZ IN NIGERIA. the keyword is START.

1 Like

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by AreaFada2: 9:41pm On Jul 13, 2012
[quote author=ttlabi]I graduated and left Nigeria for UK more than 15yrs ago, was suppose to do my masters but never get to do it. Since I came to UK I have been doing all kinds of odd jobs and barely surviving. Now am in my early 40s, tired and disappointed with nothing/little I have achieved. I have 2 kids living with their mum. And all I can show for my life struggle in all these years is just about £10,000.

I cannot continue like this.
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by dayokanu(m): 9:45pm On Jul 13, 2012
Area-Fada:
(i) buy cheap farm land in Ogun state. A few acres if possible. Make sure it's really cheap and genuine. Plan what to do with it, poultry etc. But know who your buyers will be before hand. Stay a bit longer in UK and raise more money. Return when you are ready to start.

(ii) buy a truck/tanker and give to a company. If done carefully, you can raise money with it and still continue raising more dough in UK, even if only £300 a month you can put aside. That's £3600 by same time next year.

Now lets do the Maths. The guy has 2.5m How much do they buy a plot of land in Ogun State and how much would buy an acre? How much would it take to set up a farm like you described above

ii) How much would it take to buy a truck or trailer? How much to ship to Naija and clear, how much to do maintenance, and run the truck?

1 Like

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Omoboy(m): 9:45pm On Jul 13, 2012
@op My Bro with God on your side you can make it. I went back to Nig for 2 years and i am now back in the UK i lost all my money. Let me give you some tips never stay in Lagos or with any family member stay on your own by this you are in full control. If whatever business you want to do will be in Lagos rent somewhere in Sagamu its cheaper and close to Lagos in fact try as much as possible to avoid Lagos too expensive. Divide that money into two only use 5,000 to start whatever you want. Never trust anyone especially people that start every sentence with IT IS WELL.My bro you can make it i am still going back to Nigeria to me its best place to live.
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by AreaFada2: 10:02pm On Jul 13, 2012
dayokanu:

Now lets do the Maths. The guy has 2.5m How much do they buy a plot of land in Ogun State and how much would buy an acre? How much would it take to set up a farm like you described above

ii) How much would it take to buy a truck or trailer? How much to ship to Naija and clear, how much to do maintenance, and run the truck?

Great.

He cannot do both at the same time. Like I said, limited cash, limited options.

(1)He can buy a truck for around 2m. Maintenance (except major ones) will be done by company. He can remain in UK to raise some cash for another income stream biz.

(2) Somewhere in SS, I got an acre for 120k near a village. Ogun state can be hardly more depending on location.
Just meters from the village, an acre went for 200k. I heard it's gonna go up soon.

I
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jul 13, 2012
You can open a good brothel with that money in locales like agege, pen-cinema, and ikeja along.
Make sure your girls are clean and you provide free condoms.

You can also do promos like 'shag 1, shag her sister half price'...that sort of thing.

To keep your girls motivated, you can introduce perks and incentives like employee of the month award,most STI-free employee award, etc.

Alternatively you can go to Abuja to invest in the pure water biz...
I hear a satchet goes for 200 bucks out there..
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by tayotee(m): 10:21pm On Jul 13, 2012
@Poster,

I understand how you feel bruv

My Own view's':

WHAT WAS UNDERGRAD DEG on? ( I know its been some decades)

I think you should sit down and access hoW you can salvage the 15 years you've invested in the warehouse job. I've heard of a couple of guys that have been in warehouse stuffz for a while but had to "up" their game by going for some logistics training, HSE, SAP and other stuffs thereby increasing their chances of upgrading themselves into better roles (supervisors) within the company or another with more income and a robust career so to speak.

Get your Cv refreshed, these can get you a better job even in UK considering you already have the papers or get you something doing in Nigeria before you eventually get a business to delve into.

1 Like

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by dayokanu(m): 10:30pm On Jul 13, 2012
jackbauersballs: You can open a good brothel with that money in locales like agege, pen-cinema, and ikeja along.
Make sure your girls are clean and you provide free condoms.

You can also do promos like 'shag 1, shag her sister half price'...that sort of thing.

To keep your girls motivated, you can introduce perks and incentives like employee of the month award,most STI-free employee award, etc...

I wanted to advise him to do this, but I felt since he has been in London for 15yrs he might be a butter and not know how to deal with Area boys who would throng the place.

But In case you can handle the area boys thats a good business too. Get those dingy faceme I face youget in touch with a Madam in Ikeja under bridge who can source fresh blooded girls from Calabar/Akwa-Ibom, SE, Edo/Delta, benue. Get a DJ who would be playing raunchy music, Open a bar to sell beer

if you can get 10 rooms, you can subdivide it into small cubicles to make like 30 rooms. I think each girl would be paying like 2-3k rent per day

2k on 30rooms thats like 60k per day Tax free
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jul 13, 2012
dayokanu:

I wanted to advise him to do this, but I felt since he has been in London for 15yrs he might be a butter and not know how to deal with Area boys who would throng the place.

But In case you can handle the area boys thats a good business too. Get those dingy faceme I face youget in touch with a Madam in Ikeja under bridge who can source fresh blooded girls from Calabar/Akwa-Ibom, SE, Edo/Delta, benue. Get a DJ who would be playing raunchy music, Open a bar to sell beer

if you can get 10 rooms, you can subdivide it into small cubicles to make like 30 rooms. I think each girl would be paying like 2-3k rent per day

This reminds me of a joint similar to one you've described around the fagba area.
The OP must endeavour to keep the police sweet at all time.
Repeated police raids can seriously tarnish the image of a joint.

If the OP is seriously considering opening this sort of biz, I would recommend a visit to the popular 'Kpere' joint in abule-egba to see how the pros do it...
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by mekaboy(m): 10:42pm On Jul 13, 2012
dayokanu:

NIGERIAN ADVISING ANOTHER NIGERIAN, TO USE A FELLOW NIGERIAN TO MAKE MONEY. HOPE YOUR SISTERS AND DAUGHTERS WILL BE ONE OF THE GIRLS IN THE BROTHEL ..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? / List Of Professional Bodies And Associations In Nigeria With Their Websites / Devaluation: Naira Now N183 To The Dollar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.