Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,240 members, 7,807,810 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:41 PM

Should Religion Be A Factor In Adoption? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Religion Be A Factor In Adoption? (4427 Views)

Should Religion And Tribe Be A Criteria For Marriage / Why Should Religion Be The Problem? / Should Religion Be Important In A Relationship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Religion Be A Factor In Adoption? by okeyxyz(m): 8:31am On Jul 14, 2012
There's really no need to go all ballistic because another person opposes your "supposedly anti-religious leanings", my intention was to point out the "weaknesses" in your arguments and i honestly don't see any reason why that should cause offense, rather it should define the debate and the issues better. So, if i have in anyway come across as overly aggressive, I hereby state that it was not my intention & i apologize, However I would still put my points & opinions across as much as i reasonably can.

emöfine2:
As opposed to your “fair and logically consistent manner”...?
Hmm so not adhering to religion automatically means one is either an atheist or super liberal?
Or is it because I’m asking questions you assume that I have a malicious intent?
Well, if one does not believe in a religion or a god, then i am really struggling to put him in any other category besides "atheist or super-liberal". Maybe you can enlighten me better on how to classify such (and i'm not being sarcastic).

emofine2:
First of all you do not know me so don’t bother trying to second guess me.
And as for my so called unfair stance to religion...you clearly missed the goal there. I’m lenient, curious but cautious of the various faiths.
In future do ask instead of assuming, ok and most of your flawed character dissection has only served to mar your argument because I’m now having to decipher between the parts that possibly correlate to the topic and your st[i]u[/i]p[i]i[/i]d assumptions about my being.
emofine2:
Please do yourself a favour and never again second guess me in future.
you are right, I do not know you. There are only a handful of persons anybody can assume to truly know, but that does not mean i can't form an opinion of you based your words & presentations. Just like 99 percent of of nigerians and americans have never met Goodluck Johnathan or Barack Obama, but this same people will go to the polls to decide whether they want him to remain in office or not. So, my friend, I'd only formed an opinion based on how i perceived your performance/stands on religion. I believe i'm entitled to.

emofine:
Did you even read what proceeded that reply?...The comparison between culture/language and religion. Religion isn’t necessarily fixed neither is it hereditary so please do read in context in future.
And yes religion is a life-changing decision it doesn’t take away from that fact even if a person’s discards their former religion or adopts another. Even being an atheist is a life altering decision. Smh
okay, It seems you and i have different interpretations of "life-changing". I think your interpretation is: any conscious decision to follow a particular path of discipline. It means that one has full control of the direction & weight of his actions.
while I on the other hand interpreted "life-changing" as a thing that greatly influences ones actions such that it is uncontrollable or nagging. that's why i used disease or addiction as illustrations.

emofine2:
Did you conveniently miss my response to Mr Anony where I wrote that it is understandable that parents will feel obligated to share their beliefs with their child although I specifically said I do not support imposition? Do you understand what the difference actually is?...to be taught or informed is different from being compelled. And since you failed to make the first correlation I have to stress that clearly goes for atheism as well!
I think i know the differences, and one truth i have realized is that everything of value is actually imposed or compelled, nobody has ever become proficient in any activity through leisure/"informed". Proficiency comes through discipline/dedication, that's how we've all come to be educated & professional. It was coercion(through the fear of failure, poverty, etc), not leisure/"informed".

emofine2:
I wasn’t singling out religion I was discussing religion in relation to adoption as regards to a particular anecdote so it being the theme of topic it’s therefore obviously going to be a highlighted subject...not to bash but to discuss.
OK, point taken. to answer that, my answer would be yes, i would like to consider religion if by chance i'm putting up a child for adoption. It seems ugly i know, We all wish the world a perfect place but i'm dealing with the realities on ground. I probably would not want my child to be adopted by moslem parents(no offence), I most-definitely would not want my child to be raised in any middle-eastern or arabic islamic states. Because these are places where sharia tends to be state law, it's culturally acceptable to persecute and exert violence on non-moslems, even converting from islam to another religion is punishable by death.

emofine2:
Would you stop acting deliberately obtuse! Do you even comprehend the topic? Everything I said here was in relation to a particular anecdote...if a child being denied a home based on (ir)religious affiliations of potential parents doesn’t grab your attention but fleeting remarks that were written in a particular context then excuse me if I care less about continuing to respond to your misguided posts.
When you stop playing a martyr you might actually just understand what the topic was hoping to address...
i was only making "valid" observations, it's up to you to clarify the context in which the discussion resides.
Next time, I'd know to wear a bullet-proof vest when i venture to join your thread. grin grin grin
Re: Should Religion Be A Factor In Adoption? by Enigma(m): 8:46am On Jul 14, 2012
buzugee: whats your beef ? stroganoff ?

Naah; bourguignon! wink
Re: Should Religion Be A Factor In Adoption? by okeyxyz(m): 9:04am On Jul 14, 2012
Man.., that black hebrew youtube post is really interesting. I'm enjoying it.
Re: Should Religion Be A Factor In Adoption? by buzugee(m): 9:36am On Jul 14, 2012
Enigma:

Naah; bourguignon! wink
a gastronomic delight i may add wink
Re: Should Religion Be A Factor In Adoption? by ajufinz(m): 9:53am On Jul 14, 2012
That's the problem with religion...
It's at all levels impulsive- shared and learnt.
Jesus is not impulsive.
Re: Should Religion Be A Factor In Adoption? by emofine2(f): 3:46pm On Jul 14, 2012
okeyxyz,

I wasn’t “ballistic” concerning your argument I was annoyed concerning your assumptions. I accept your apology and I also extend that olive branch and my own apology if you indeed felt offended by my previous post.
I don’t like labels so never felt the need to find a term that supposedly best qualifies me but just to let you know there is a world out there full of people with different or even unconventional convictions that some defy labelling or make up their own. Just because I do not subscribe to your god or worldview doesn’t by default make me an atheist or an ultraliberal. And just for the record I am not anti-religion or anti-theist I am “anti” independent choice - notwithstanding I am not ignorant to the fact that our final choices are often as a result of influences.

I think i know the differences, and one truth i have realized is that everything of value is actually imposed or compelled, nobody has ever become proficient in any activity through leisure/"informed". Proficiency comes through discipline/dedication, that's how we've all come to be educated & professional. It was coercion(through the fear of failure, poverty, etc), not leisure/"informed".

Interesting...however teaching or “imposing” - as you put it - children about values is different from “compelling” them to adopt a particular religion don’t you think? Sure, there are particular moral frameworks, ideologies etc stapled to particular religion but what I meant is that the choice is ultimately up to the child. Parents, neighbours etc can influence the child’s decision but I doubt anyone can or even should make that decision for anyone although certain households may be governed by particular faiths due to the affiliations of the parents and that is understandable. Besides usually children are going to have a leaning to the faith of their parents/ immediate society.
But is it a good enough basis to adhere to a particular religion or even unbelief because mum, dad or ones immediate society says so?

OK, point taken. to answer that, my answer would be yes, i would like to consider religion if by chance i'm putting up a child for adoption. It seems ugly i know, We all wish the world a perfect place but i'm dealing with the realities on ground. I probably would not want my child to be adopted by moslem parents(no offence), I most-definitely would not want my child to be raised in any middle-eastern or arabic islamic states. Because these are places where sharia tends to be state law, it's culturally acceptable to persecute and exert violence on non-moslems, even converting from islam to another religion is punishable by death.

Hhhmmm but what if the child lived with you and under your roof decided to convert to Islam....even under your care/guidance children will still form their own thought and opionons and ones that may not necessary agree with yours.
Re: Should Religion Be A Factor In Adoption? by okeyxyz(m): 2:47am On Jul 15, 2012
emöfine2:
Interesting...however teaching or “imposing” - as you put it - children about values is different from “compelling” them to adopt a particular religion don’t you think? Sure, there are particular moral frameworks, ideologies etc stapled to particular religion but what I meant is that the choice is ultimately up to the child. Parents, neighbours etc can influence the child’s decision but I doubt anyone can or even should make that decision for anyone although certain households may be governed by particular faiths due to the affiliations of the parents and that is understandable. Besides usually children are going to have a leaning to the faith of their parents/ immediate society.
But is it a good enough basis to adhere to a particular religion or even unbelief because mum, dad or ones immediate society says so?
emofine2:
Hhhmmm but what if the child lived with you and under your roof decided to convert to Islam....even under your care/guidance children will still form their own thought and opionons and ones that may not necessary agree with yours.

Well, the thing is we all exist & grow up in a society, this society has it's values. For every person, these values merely serve as reference points for he to conduct himself outwardly in respect or deference. It doesn't mean he agrees with such values, but as long as such a person has not come of age to be responsible for his actions, then he has to be bound by the system of his guardians. It is good to have an open society where anybody is free to pursue his beliefs as long as he is of age to do so, but until that time, he has to be subject to his "supervisors". It is also erroneous to assume that a person will continue with the religion of his upbringing, it only happens in a society where there is persecution of non-conformists. example of the extreme case is what obtains in Islamic states.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Favour? / Should Efcc Probe Churches? / Mazaje, State The Purpose Of Your Life!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.