Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,273 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. (9875 Views)

We Know Its Corporate Slavery, Yet We Stay / Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews / What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by acidtalk: 2:27pm On Jul 13, 2012
It is often said that you are being addressed the way you dress. i quite agree with that saying.
But what about dressing casually smart to attend meetings, interviews and corporate gatherings.

What i mean is what is your opinion on a young man wearing pair of sneakers and probably with a face cap and go for business meeting, job interviews and other corporate gathering or even a lady wearing such.

Afterall what every one needs is a problem solver.

I have had course to dress casual as i always do to meetings in top banking and telecoms firm. while everyone else is all decked up in suit, tie and the rest. i am feeling so cool with my pair of jeans, shirt, trainers and nice wristwatch with a good perf to go with it.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by boyendowed(m): 5:26pm On Jul 13, 2012
I think it's best to wear a suit.Like you quoted "you are addressed the way you dress".
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by acidtalk: 7:23pm On Jul 13, 2012
boyendowed: I think it's best to wear a suit.Like you quoted "you are addressed the way you dress".

I will rather wear a jeans and shirt (personally) and do a brilliant presentation than deck in suit and be stuttering endlessly.

The best of Consultants across the world usually wear casuals for their presentations. Is it because they already know their onions?

3 Likes

Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by spicyv1(f): 1:22am On Jul 14, 2012
acidtalk:

I will rather wear a jeans and shirt (personally) and do a brilliant presentation than deck in suit and be stuttering endlessly.

The best of Consultants across the world usually wear casuals for their presentations. Is it because they already know their onions?

Your dressing is determined by the kind θf meeting you are going for. I think its irresponsible and a display θf nonchalance or disregard for your counterparts to dress casually to a meeting that requires a tux. Unless otherwise indicated.

As for your observation regarding top biz consultants around the world dressing casually to meetings, I am wondering! Because no name comes to mind, from the Sorinyan's θf Naija to the Donald Trumps θf the U.S,that suit gives you the extra confidence boost required to demand the needed attention.

2 Likes

Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by acidtalk: 6:52am On Jul 14, 2012
You might have a point but the issue is shouldn't one wear what best calms their mind and body?
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by spicyv1(f): 7:44am On Jul 14, 2012
acidtalk: You might have a point but the issue is shouldn't one wear what best calms their mind and body?

You SHOULD dress as the occasion demands not as. Your body demands else organised places (business meetings, interviews and the work place) would be a parade θf disorder. Imagine a business meeting with a lady whose usual sense θf "body calming" dressing is portrayed in half clad outfits or individuals who are more comfortable expressing their cultures through their dressing! A display θf chaos indeed!
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by acidtalk: 9:47am On Jul 14, 2012
spicy v:

You SHOULD dress as the occasion demands not as. Your body demands else organised places (business meetings, interviews and the work place) would be a parade θf disorder. Imagine a business meeting with a lady whose usual sense θf "body calming" dressing is portrayed in half clad outfits or individuals who are more comfortable expressing their cultures through their dressing! A display θf chaos indeed!

We aren't talking of pwoplw dressing losely. Casually smart dressinif well combined I think can readily fit in a corporate setting.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by spicyv1(f): 10:36am On Jul 14, 2012
acidtalk:

We aren't talking of pwoplw dressing losely. Casually smart dressinif well combined I think can readily fit in a corporate setting.

You asked, "shouldn't one wear what calms the body and mind"? That description stretches beyond dressing casual, besides casual is a relative term, hence the necessity to dress as occasion demands! I am wondering what sense there is in dressing casually for an outing that clearly indicates corporate settings... Whats the connection?
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by acidtalk: 11:44am On Jul 14, 2012
Am not talking of dinner or cocktail settings.

From the thread title I said corporate meetings and interviews. So in the caselets assume the mode of dressing wasn't indicated.

YAW the popular wazobia fm presenter said when he went for the radio job intervie over a 100 people were all wearing suite and tie. He was the ONLY one that dressed casual (jeans, shirt and face cap) and yet he was was the only one that got the job. So in that case what can we say? i
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by spicyv1(f): 12:54pm On Jul 14, 2012
I am beginning to be weary θf how you keep raising points that in no way correlates with my previous points but somehow contradicts your own points whilst concurring with my main point which is: DRESS AS THE OCCASSION DEMANDS!!! Yaw could afford to dress that way because θf the industry, let him dress that way to a bank interview or other corporate setting and see if he will make it through the gate.

Corporate setting requires corporate dressing unless otherwise indicated! Learn to give unto Ceaser what is Ceaser's! The choice is yours!!!

3 Likes

Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by AjanleKoko: 5:50pm On Jul 14, 2012
Most meetings and engagements have a dress code prescribed. Plus, there are generally accepted conventions that dictate appropriate attire for different situations.

Interviews usually require formal dress, some business meetings require smart casual while some require formal dress (especially engagements that involve the public sector). Some evening events are referred to as 'black tie', which implies a very formal setting, while some require just smart casual. It differs based on the situation at hand.

However, if you are in a situation where you are not the host, you should respect the stipulated dress convention. In my company, we specify to interview candidates that they need to dress formally. Any deviation is obviously a minus.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by acidtalk: 7:16pm On Jul 14, 2012
AjanleKoko: Most meetings and engagements have a dress code prescribed. Plus, there are generally accepted conventions that dictate appropriate attire for different situations.

Interviews usually require formal dress, some business meetings require smart casual while some require formal dress (especially engagements that involve the public sector). Some evening events are referred to as 'black tie', which implies a very formal setting, while some require just smart casual. It differs based on the situation at hand.

However, if you are in a situation where you are not the host, you should respect the stipulated dress convention. In my company, we specify to interview candidates that they need to dress formally. Any deviation is obviously a minus.

Thanks for sharing.
so insightful.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by musajohn80: 5:31am On Jul 15, 2012
I personally believe you must not wear suit to all interviews, but you must not also be casual. A good combination of neat long sleeve shirt and trouser will do for must interviews ( not sure of banks), this give's comfort and show a huge sense of confidence. It has always worked for me though, even when I got my job at entry level and I asked a friend to do this recently and he got the job.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by acidtalk: 1:24pm On Jul 15, 2012
musajohn80: I personally believe you must not wear suit to all interviews, but you must not also be casual. A good combination of neat long sleeve shirt and trouser will do for must interviews ( not sure of banks), this give's comfort and show a huge sense of confidence. It has always worked for me though, even when I got my job at entry level and I asked a friend to do this recently and he got the job.

Thanks FOR THIS.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by musajohn80: 1:26am On Jul 16, 2012
acidtalk:

Thanks FOR THIS.

You are welcome.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by NigeriaKwenu(m): 5:19pm On Jul 16, 2012
It's reasonable only if you;re the BOSS. If you're a regular worker, just go to the secretary and get your sack letter.

I used to be a casual clothe wearing guy until i became a white collar person. I had to learn how to wear suit and tie and how not to walk like an 1diot. All this things matter. But i always wish people will be given the opportunity to wear whatever they want to wear.

Afam4eva
(the day of reckoning is coming)
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by acidtalk: 5:23pm On Jul 16, 2012
NigeriaKwenu: It's reasonable only if you;re the BOSS. If you're a regular worker, just go to the secretary and get your sack letter.

I used to be a casual clothe wearing guy until i became a white collar person. I had to learn how to wear suit and tie and how not to walk like an 1diot. All this things matter. But i always wish people will be given the opportunity to wear whatever they want to wear.

Afam4eva
(the day of reckoning is coming)

My point exactly.
If your dressing isn't irritaitng, too loud or loose, why can't someonewear what best suits them once they are very comfortable with it?
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by ebamma(m): 5:27pm On Jul 16, 2012
its all about preference,afterall mark zuckerberg(facebook md) has never worn a suit while at work.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by Demdem(m): 5:33pm On Jul 16, 2012
This thread lacks pictures. This will be helpful.

1 Like

Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jul 16, 2012
Who cares? My word is a command and all I hear is "Yes Sir" even if I wear just boxers and jump down from a G55 AMG at the damn depot, my fashion mistakes are called Style. Find that money, that's all that matters.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by acidtalk: 5:48pm On Jul 16, 2012
Demdem: This thread lacks pictures. This will be helpful.

Be kinmd enough to post one.
Using my tablet now and typing alone is a night mare already.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by dayokanu(m): 5:53pm On Jul 16, 2012
Very unreasonable
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by cowgurl: 6:18pm On Jul 16, 2012
If you must be casual to corporate meetings and the likes, your middle name should be INDISPENSABLE!

I, personally love corporate wears so I won't be caught wearing otherwise esp to meetings and interviews! I love the look it has on me, very...!
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 16, 2012
In the energy sector, formality in dressing is to a great extent downplayed. It will however depend on who you're meeting with. If you're an executive and meeting with some bankers/financial consultants to strike a loan deal for instance, dressing formal in suits is clearly the appropriate. But if you're an oil executive or even officer in an oil and gas company and you are meeting some safety or environmental experts, wearing a jeans and shirt, branded or not, is not out of place.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by NwaTeacher1: 6:22pm On Jul 16, 2012
I like putting ön jeans and shirt always even 2 a wedding ceremonies. How ur seeing urslf matters alot dan what ur putting on.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by chucky234(m): 6:34pm On Jul 16, 2012
Boxer and singlet will do the magic, dont forget to go with a matching bathroom slippers.
Why wear jeans and T-shirt to corporate meeting?

1 Like

Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by Sprumbaba: 6:35pm On Jul 16, 2012
I don't like suit. All I do is a nice business jacket on Faconnable Chinos ( I will tuck in my shirt).If you wont give me contract or job because of Suits, hold it.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by Clemzy16(m): 6:44pm On Jul 16, 2012
A suit and trouser to an interview. Oh! No.. Please don't.. Except you just wanna screw yourself up.. Believe me, i don't like suit, but i won't dare wear a pair of jeans and shirt to an interview.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jul 16, 2012
acidtalk:

You have to understand that stuttering is a medical and physiological condition. Yes, some people stutter out of fear but some don't have control over it and are very smart. I knew a guy who graduated with 4.0 G.P.A, couldn't get a word out without stuttering but he was hell smart and when he wrote on paper, then it hits you that he is hell brilliant but has this condition holding him down. So, I get your drift but there are other words that could be used as opposed to stuttering.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jul 16, 2012
If you are self-made millionaire like us, you wear anything you like to anywhere you like at anytime you like.

2 Likes

Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by SisiKill1: 7:35pm On Jul 16, 2012
Thank heavens for blazers. . .Jeans, Khakis, Cottons, leather etc!

It can turn any outfit into a corporate one.

Wear a sundress and Sandals, knack your black Blazer on it and viola. . .COR-PO-RATE!!

Wear a skirt and camisole, add a blazer on to and you are good to go

Wear Jeans and Shirt, slip your blazer on and what do you know. . .You are Ms. Corporate

Easy does it!!! grin grin

On a different note, I BOW and PROSTRATE for people who wear suits in Naija. How do you manage in that sweltering heat??!!
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by SisiKill1: 7:36pm On Jul 16, 2012
991: If you are self-made millionaire like us, you wear anything you like to anywhere you like at anytime you like.

You tell 'em!!! cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension / New Procedure For ICAN Induction: TCI Lectures & Exam / Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.