Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

CFA Candidates In The House - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / CFA Candidates In The House (213528 Views)

Cis Candidates In The House / Cfa Vs Acca Which Is Harder / What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (76) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CFA Candidates In The House by holusola: 6:51am On Dec 27, 2007
Hi Bakare, i'm a chatrered Accountant and,i want to start CFA this year but i haven't registered.Do you think i can still write june Exams if i register by January 20th latest?
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by IykeD(m): 11:13am On Dec 27, 2007
Nice thread, couldn't have ignored it.Good People, i am interested in CFA but i am mathematically oriented, my first degree is B.Sc Maths/Stats. I know there are mathematical angle to CFA but i think majority of it is Finance/Investments etc.
Pls for the experts and those who have done it, do you i think i stand a good chance in CFA.I am hope to apply for the Dec.08 exams but it all depends on the responses i get .

Cheers!
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by bakre(m): 12:26pm On Dec 27, 2007
@Holusola
DEFINATELY,U CAN APPLY.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by bakre(m): 1:12pm On Dec 27, 2007
@IyekD,U stand a good chance in CFA with ur background.Cheers
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by wyt(m): 2:31pm On Dec 27, 2007
seasonal greating to all.
i am indeed happy with the progress/success of this thread,
i realy want to say BIG THANK U TO ALL THE PROFESSIONAL
CONTRIBUTORS OF THIS WONDERFUL THREAD.
i must be humble enough to ask for stala or scheswese
material from anyone that has bought it. i tought i must
have being able to buy it by now.

my email addy is kolinz24@gmail.com or ring me on 08065452268

thanks for ur understanding and corperation.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by barge(m): 10:54pm On Dec 27, 2007
IykeD:

Nice thread, couldn't have ignored it.Good People, i am interested in CFA but i am mathematically oriented, my first degree is B.Sc Maths/Stats. I know there are mathematical angle to CFA but i think  majority of it is Finance/Investments etc.
Please for the experts and those who have done it, do you i think i stand a good chance in CFA.I am hope to apply for the Dec.08 exams but it all depends on the responses i get .

Cheers!

You can make a success of it even if you have a B.sc in Hausa language. What matters is your dedication and hardwork . The financial maths should be a piece of cake for you , but the difficulty of the exam lies in the VOLUME OF THE MATERIALS.for the Level 1 exam , there isnt much quatitative analysis.If you Love money , you will enjoy the notes despite the stress. Go for it , there is an analyst in you. Goodluck.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by IykeD(m): 9:49am On Dec 28, 2007
@bakre, thank you so much.
@barge, you have made my day.Thank you
I am ready for the challenge.God bless us all!
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by lowee231: 8:18am On Jan 02, 2008
Somebody called from this forum called me concerning the exams. Guy wassup any questions please feel free to ask.
The failure rate concerning CFA in Nigeria is ridiculous so please lets seriously prepare ourselves.
For people that need study notes I am ready to photocopy for them.
But most importantly lets prepare and show those white guys say we get sense.
Bakre/Barge are u guys registered for these exams.
For people wey don start preparations which study session una don dey and what have been ur difficulties so far.
I was hoping by now that na the CFA curriculum we suppose don dey discuss dey help ourselves.
How many of us are presently employed?
N130, 000 is alot of money to throw away.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by beelala: 9:59am On Jan 03, 2008
Kindly provide these informations for me.

1. Is there any training centre in Nigeria for the CFA.

2. Names and Addresses of the ones known please.

Im interested in dec 2008 diet
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by barge(m): 11:36am On Jan 03, 2008
@ALL
Happy new year and i wish everyone here success

@lowee 231

will register by month end. The mean pass rate worldwide is 40%. COMPLIMENTS
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by sabak: 12:48pm On Jan 03, 2008
@IOWEE
I AM INTERESTED IN THIS CFA PROGRAM, I AM LOOKING AT THE DECEMBER,2008 DIET, BUT I REALLY WANT TO START CRACKING AT IT IMMEDIATELY, BUT I WONT BE ABLE TO BUY MY OWN COPY OF THE PREPARATORY NOTES AND OTHER MATERIALS I MAY BE NEEDING TILL SOMETIME IN APRIL, SO IF I COULD GET SOME PHOTOCOPIES OF SOME NOTES, I WILL REALLY BE GRATEFUL, I DON'T HAVE A BUSINESS OR ACCOUNTING BACKGROUND SO I THINK I SHOULD START A BIT EARLIER THAN REQUIRED SO AS TO GET A FIRM GRIP OF THE PROCEEDINGS, HOW COULD WE MEET?
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by akin101: 12:59pm On Jan 03, 2008
hi
just created a new group on yahoo for professionals taking the cfa exams for june and dec 2008
only those seriously considering cfa charter should please join, no spammers no funny emailers, just serious human beings.

We will succeed

The acronyms "CFA" refers to the Chartered Financial Analyst designation or charter.
A prestigious certification that sets apart professionals in the financial proffession
This is a group dedicated to helping Nigerian Financial professionals taking the June and December 2008 CFA Succeed.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/cfaexams_nigerians2008/
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by lowee231: 8:43am On Jan 04, 2008
@barge
the mean pass rate is [/i]roughly[i] %40 world wide but in Nigeria the pass rate is closer to 10% not trying to burst anybodies bubble just want all of us to be adequately prepared.
@ all
How many people are taking level 1 in june please?
@ beelala
There are training centers in Nigeria but there success rate is quite poor.
@bakre
Is Temitope a CFA charterholder

Does anybody have Schweser 2008 on PDF
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by bakre(m): 11:58am On Jan 04, 2008
@Beelala,Temitope has written  his final stage in December.Cheers.
@Iowee,Its all depend on u.it does not really matter whether u study Yoruba or Islamic study.What matters most is your determination and aslo your target in life.I personally believe life is all about setting a target for yourself,so as to provide a sense purpose and mission to pursue.u are a graduate and i believe your first degree has broaden your mental frontier.So,with this,u should be able to tacle anything that comes your way.Just make a firm determination and start the preparation on time.CFA is all about total dedication and a strong believe in yourself.Doctors,lawyers,even Arabic education graduate did it and passed.So,u can also do it and pass.Best of luck.Bakare Olatokunbo.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by bakre(m): 2:18pm On Jan 04, 2008
@Akin101.The lecture costs 10 pounds per hour and a total of N180,000 in naira.

However, the cost of lecture includes;

1, a serene learning environment in an hotel with glass of coffee served intermetently

2, deep discount on original Scheweser CFA material, CFA calculator, and registration, worth more than $300

3, free 4 on-line CFA sample exams, worth over $300

4, free study notes

5, 10 hours/week off-lecture-hours feeder tutoring and

6, a first-class teaching style
N.B,The venue will be at the Mansah-Sarah Hotel in Ogudu-GRA.
Thanks
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by somebody(f): 12:24am On Jan 08, 2008
Hello everyone,

I am considering doing the CFA and thinking of using BPP as I live in the UK. I chose them for no particular reason except my employer uses them for some other courses we take at work so if anyone has suggestions on a better provider, please let me know. Also, I haven't started preparing for the exams, actually haven't contacted BPP but can do so before the week runs out but what I want to know is if I can realistically pass the June exams if I haven't started studying. I also have a very demanding job and work very long hours so not sure if 5 months is enough for me to prepare and pass it. Please for those of you that have done it, please let me know how feasible it is to do the June exams and pass. I could do them in December as well but that would give me only 6 monhs to study for level 2 which I assume is harder. I have some financial knowledge and work in Investment Banking, also looked at the syllabus and I feel that it doesn't look too bad as I have done some of the stuff before but I just don't know if its enough to help me pass the exam (of course I know I have to put in a lot of extra hours too). So please any thoughts on provider, study hours, study techniques would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by lowee231: 3:00pm On Jan 08, 2008
@ Somebody
The most important thing u need is determination and a realistic study plan. Cause sometimes u start too early and sometimes u may end up starting too late so its important to find the time thats right for you. I am registered for the 2008 in Ghana
Alot of people I know are starting in January, so with a background in Investment banking Now should be just okay. And I mean now as in immediately today. between 10 and 15hrs a week should be good enough to stand a chance of passing. Wish u luck.
http://cfa.meetup.com/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3177683
http://cfathoughts..com/
U should average a minimum of 1 study session a week starting today u should finish 2 to 3 weeks before the exam. Leaving u time for a revision.
Using Schewsers would give enuff time to achieve these goals.
Hope I was helpful

1 Like

Re: CFA Candidates In The House by hispy99(m): 11:26am On Jan 10, 2008
somebody:

Hello everyone,

I am considering doing the CFA and thinking of using BPP as I live in the UK. I chose them for no particular reason except my employer uses them for some other courses we take at work so if anyone has suggestions on a better provider, please let me know. Also, I haven't started preparing for the exams, actually haven't contacted BPP but can do so before the week runs out but what I want to know is if I can realistically pass the June exams if I haven't started studying. I also have a very demanding job and work very long hours so not sure if 5 months is enough for me to prepare and pass it. Please for those of you that have done it, please let me know how feasible it is to do the June exams and pass. I could do them in December as well but that would give me only 6 monhs to study for level 2 which I assume is harder. I have some financial knowledge and work in Investment Banking, also looked at the syllabus and I feel that it doesn't look too bad as I have done some of the stuff before but I just don't know if its enough to help me pass the exam (of course I know I have to put in a lot of extra hours too). So please any thoughts on provider, study hours, study techniques would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.

@Somebody

I used Shweser so I have no idea about how good BPP is.  The recommended study time by CFA is around 250 hours, but I know people that studied less(more) and passed.  It all depends on how fast you are at grasping concepts; it's also helpful if you have a finace background (which it seems like you do).

It is extremely helpful to draw up a study plan and stick to it as much as possible.  You should also practice as many sample/test questions as possible.  It is definitely not too late to start preparing for the exam,  the test is still 5 months away.

Good luck
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by lowee231: 4:21pm On Jan 11, 2008
@hispy99
Did u rely solely on Shweser for ur level 1.

How many of u are taking these exams in June and are planning on taking them in Ghana
Please contact me.

1 Like

Re: CFA Candidates In The House by hispy99(m): 9:44pm On Jan 12, 2008
lowee231:

@hispy99
Did u rely solely on Shweser for your level 1.

How many of u are taking these exams in June and are planning on taking them in Ghana
Please contact me.

I used Shweser almost exclusively for all my 3 levels and it was good enough for me.   I know several people that used the same strategy and passed and I also know several people that used Shweser/Stella + text books too.  You have to figure out which strategy works for you.  In my case, I work 9am-7pm most days, so I had to manage my study time effectively, which meant I could not devote that much time to textbooks.  Of course there were a few instances where I referred to text books to have a better understanding of a concept, but I would say I used Schweser 98% of the time.

1 Like

Re: CFA Candidates In The House by hispy99(m): 9:49pm On Jan 12, 2008
Guys/Ladies taking the exam can check out this forum at URL www.analystforum.com. It is a great resource for people taking the CFA test.

1 Like

Re: CFA Candidates In The House by ameenah(f): 11:31am On Jan 13, 2008
@lowee, how far with this study group thing, im really interested,let me know the plan.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by ameenah(f): 11:50am On Jan 13, 2008
@all, can i find a list of recommended textbooks online or does anyone know
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by lowee231: 7:31am On Jan 14, 2008
ameenah try buy Schweser level 1 it comes highly rated. So are u planning to go to South Africa for the Level 1 in December.
hispy99 Guy your the best. tHANKS FOR THE ADVICE.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by ameenah(f): 6:30pm On Jan 14, 2008
@lowee, i'm not too sure about where im gonna do it,i have the schweser level 1 of last year, do you have the 2008 study materials,maybe i could make copies wink
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by lowee231: 8:01am On Jan 15, 2008
At ameenah
U will have to call me to get the material. I presently have schweser's level 1 2008.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by wyt(m): 4:53pm On Jan 15, 2008
@lowee231
thanks for ur encouragement, do u have the question bank of Schweser level 1? which of the financial calculators are u using?

my email addy is kolinz24@yahoo.com or kolinz24@gmail.com.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by bakre(m): 12:12pm On Jan 16, 2008
@ameenah
Professional TI calculator is recommended by Shweser.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by bakre(m): 12:18pm On Jan 16, 2008
@Wyt
(B II PLUS) Texas instrument calculator for professional is the best.u can contact me for any other info via bakaresrainoil@yahoo.co.uk or u call on 08039307507.Regards
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by bakre(m): 2:10pm On Jan 16, 2008
cfa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by lowee231: 9:12am On Jan 17, 2008
`For the Gurus prove urselves,
How does asset capitalization increase the asset base of an organisation.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by bakre(m): 11:50am On Jan 18, 2008
Hi,

This is just to remind you all that the CFA lectures you’re all aware of will be starting on Sunday @ the Stanbic House,

Amodu tijani Street, Sanusi Fafunwa, VI.

Furthermore it’s also important for you to note that an alternative for students who can’t afford the initially stated costs

Is to pay a 5-pounds/hour (which sums up to a total of N90,000) but forgo the associated discounts that comes with the lecture.

Thanks and Kind Regards,,,

Bakare Olatokunbo
Rainoil Limited
Poatson House
3rd Floor,142.Oba-Akran Avenue
Ikeja Lagos
Tel:01-4930646,08039307507

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (76) (Reply)

Total Oil And Gas Workers / 2022 Access Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment Has Been Extended / ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.