Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,135 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:48 AM

When You See A Man In The Market: - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / When You See A Man In The Market: (14346 Views)

Packaged Garri Is Now Available In The Market[photo] / Ajino Moto: Unbelievably Still In The Market! / No 1 Fruit Juice In The Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by vivaciousvivi(f): 7:55am On Aug 05, 2012
nativedoctor: My wife is a banker and I'm self employed. At times when I close early,I go to the market and buy foodstuff. I even call her from the market to confirm the quantity to buy. It removes the stress of doing the shopping from her busy schedule. I don't even see anything wrong in doing the cooking. After all she's my wife and the home is ours.

Awwwww, that's so sweet of u.
To answer OP's question, me I always assume d guys are bachelors o. Although I am yet to see a guy ard d age of 45yrs purchasing food stuff at d mkt. Its always seems to be younger guys who do dat.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by dayokanu(m): 8:02am On Aug 05, 2012
In the Northern part of nigeria thats the norm, Its men that buy and sell in market and the women stay at home
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by mecussey(m): 8:14am On Aug 05, 2012
Arsheda: If he is a bachelor & probably still single, that is unattached, he has 100% right to visit the market & buy food items. Let me use myself as an example.

I do this a lot, weekends I go to the market & buy what I need in the house,cook for the week, and preserve in my freezer. So when I get back from my daily job all I do is dish out what I will eat and microwave,shikena!

So please and please not all men you see in the market are STINGY. THIS WILL BE FALLACY OF IRRELEVANT GROUND.

I am 27 but I look like a 35yr old man, big and tall. When I go to the market, i see the look on there faces and I only imagine whats going on in there heads. Sometimes, it really keeps me uncomfortable. Girlfriend is also busy and I cant pick anybody on the street to cook for me, i will always do my cooking untill I see alter.

1 Like

Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by joangirl: 8:28am On Aug 05, 2012
I hate men dat go to the market,wetin self.my dad does that till now and has refused to stop.my mum has qureeled And talked but he has refused to stop,he says he enjoys it and he never buys tins correct.always buying excess meat and excess tomatoe.most times I collect the money by force he then goes on telling me what and what to buy.the tin irritates me like hell while my mum has accepted the fact that he would always go to the market himself as for me I can never get married to a man who cannot give me money and allow me run my kitchen
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Omonla77: 8:36am On Aug 05, 2012
Shopping of course! What else would come to my mind? ...research? and what am i doing in the market in the first place? Am i not a man?

Just yesterday, i was unable to pick my wife at home for shopping....i simply called her for the quantities of tomatoes etc. that she wants to buy and bought them on my way home after which i enjoyed a round bowl of amala and assorted fish and 'ponmo'. What is the big deal with that? Why are we making mountains out of mole hills?

Next please!

1 Like

Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by jenny2007(f): 9:22am On Aug 05, 2012
undecided @topic, I would assume that he is single. By the way, I don't like men that are brilliant cooks . Just buy the ingredients (if you must) and I'll do the cooking myself. If I'm at work then eat the stored food in the fridge.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by ismokeweed1(f): 9:24am On Aug 05, 2012
[quote author=acidtalk]When you go tho the market and you see a young man of between 26-45 years of age pricing and buying tomatoes, meat, vegetables and other ingredients, what first comes to your mind? Do you wonder why he is the one in the market instead of a girlfriend or wife.

Please share your honest opinion.

Guys, how do you feel being the one pricing in the market? Do you feel embarrassed or indifferent?[/quote/]

Any man can do that

He just needs the right amount of 'high' in his life. Even you can do it today

Remember the keywords are

INHALE

EXHALE

INHALE

EXHALE
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by victorD3: 9:52am On Aug 05, 2012
Trust me short people are more authoritative and stubborn than you can ever imagine.
tobechi74: If d man is short,

then d wife sent him on an erand.....
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by ojeffo: 10:23am On Aug 05, 2012
ftmom: In Naija?
I suspect he's a bachelor
No dear,u are wrong!infact ¶ went to d market on Friday evening cos my wife travelled to her place wt my two kids.And ¶ know she would be very tired when she comes back on saturday.¶ had to even process d Banga seeds.¶ heard her shouting from d kitchen wen she came back and went into d Kitchen.She wz thrilled beyond measures.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by NwaTeacher1: 10:36am On Aug 05, 2012
I do go to the market myself to buy foodstuf. It is a good experience as it gives me an edge to know the prices of foodstufs. My girlfriend wanted to play on my intelligent d day i told her to help me pick some foodstufs but i proved her wrong because i know dia prices. I can tell u d quantity of 40
naira Crayfish and 1000 naira own. I can cook and dish out food 4 pple. I can sweep and clean my house well. What a woman can do 4 me again if not giving birth 2 my children
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by faithin9ja: 10:56am On Aug 05, 2012
what if the man has been transferred to another station, whilst his wife and children remain at their base due to work and school
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Holyrule(m): 11:14am On Aug 05, 2012
TY tayo: What comes to my mind is that the man's wife is bedridden or he just a stingy man
he can't be a stingy man cuz men don't price well enough unlike women. So i wud rule that out if i were you.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Holyrule(m): 11:16am On Aug 05, 2012
Either he's single(bachelor), or wife's not well, or he's living seperate from partner, or he's kind enough to give his partner a treat, etc
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by billyG(m): 11:21am On Aug 05, 2012
A man came by food 4 his wife,i can buy chicken,fish,leaves on my way frm work 4 ma wif 2 prep ma favourite pepper soup.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by pinozino: 12:19pm On Aug 05, 2012
I believe their women are hospitalised due illness or d man is stingy,except d man is a chef,may be d man no get job while women has job.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Nobody: 12:20pm On Aug 05, 2012
acidtalk: When you go tho the market and you see a young man of between 26-45 years of age pricing and buying tomatoes, meat, vegetables and other ingredients, what first comes to your mind? Do you wonder why he is the one in the market instead of a girlfriend or wife.

Please share your honest opinion.

Guys, how do you feel being the one pricing in the market? Do you feel embarrassed or indifferent?
My thots r he is a b!+cha$$.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by komek(m): 1:59pm On Aug 05, 2012
Most of these gurls that say men who go τ̅☺ mkt are stingy pple is because most of them are thieves. They would not want τ̅☺ get themsefs engaged,always depending on
The man's money. These are the same set of Gurls that always make use of this word 'you are the man'. I see them as lazy pple.

Naturally, I hate going τ̅☺ the mkt, I remember while in sch, I used τ̅☺ give money τ̅☺ my female neighbours τ̅☺ help buy things for M̶̲̥̅ƹ in the market. But I don't play with my cooking, I do it mysef. And this is Wђε̲̣̣̣̥я̲̣̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥ I have issues with some of my female friens.

§☺
When U̶̲̥̅̊ see a man in the mkt, it cud ßξ he is a barchelor , may ßξ his gurl is a thief,his gurlfriend is buzy etc just talking for the some Barchelors o.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by ferhyntorlah(f): 2:02pm On Aug 05, 2012
nativedoctor: My wife is a banker and I'm self employed. At times when I close early,I go to the market and buy foodstuff. I even call her from the market to confirm the quantity to buy. It removes the stress of doing the shopping from her busy schedule. I don't even see anything wrong in doing the cooking. After all she's my wife and the home is ours.

I'm impressed knowing that men like you still exist especially in this part of the world. God bless you real good Sir!
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Mustay(m): 2:20pm On Aug 05, 2012
joangirl: always buying excess meat and excess tomatoe.

The excess part is sometimes true. It's like a nostalgic feeling cool Make una no vex - e good make food plenty for house
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by ferhyntorlah(f): 2:37pm On Aug 05, 2012
drzed:
In my opinion, such thinking is borne out of sheer ignorance or the misplaced sense of male superiority which is so common in many of our so-called traditions. Not that I am against our traditions, but certain aspects are just chauvinistic, domineering and outdated.

Those who have a problem with a man going to the market either do not understand marital vows or do not love their wives - assuming they are married, that is. Just because we grew up and found ourselves surrounded by cultures that 'wrongly' treats women as inferior or belonging to the kitchen, does not make these aspects of our cultures right. Otherwise, we should bring back the killing of twins and other senseless acts of our forefathers. Abi?

There is no moral, religious, ethical, logical, cultural, political or constitutional rule or law that says she MUST be the one who shops and cooks while I cross my legs and watch my beloved Arsenal lose a game.

Thank you Mr; you have spoken well GBU!
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by drzed: 3:06pm On Aug 05, 2012
Gabbysky:
HURRAYYYyyy!!! Paternity leave, Mehn.. I de enjoy dat one ooo for my workplace..
A very nice write-up Bro but na why u come call Arsenal nau, I go report you to Mukina ooo, LOL...

Even Mukina sef knows I am saying the truth about Arsenal. Fact is fact!....when last did those talented, creative, over-dribbling, over-passing, i-must-walk-the-ball-into-the-net bunch of annoying Muppets win a premiership game that really mattered? grin grin grin

But we enjoy them sha, win or lose. Football is after all, just a game. Chikenan. cheesy

Less I am accused of digressing this thread, I am disappointed/worried that a sizeable number of women who have commented on this thread so far, think that for a man to be shopping in the market is synonymous to stinginess. Some men may indeed be stingy by going shopping, but these would be in the minority.

Apparently, from evidence/comments presented so far, many men go to the market simply because they like to cook, regardless of which of their fingers is carrying a ring. Others do so just to give their wives an occasional well-deserved treat/surprise. But there are also men like me who go to the market because.... well, I wish I could be more modest, but... we are just damn good husbands grin

Take it or leave it.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by drzed: 3:25pm On Aug 05, 2012
Wislet: A man who:

1. No lady can take for granted (can't use food to deal with- assuming he could cook too).

2. Is caring (assuming the wife was indisposed).

3. Is dependable.

4. Is economical (assuming he was a bachelor). Not wasting his money on fast foods.

You have spoken well - largely, except for item #2.

Are you saying a man is (or should be) caring enough to go shopping only when his wife is indisposed?

I politely beg to differ on item #2. How about him shopping when she is tired? Or him shopping when she is too busy with her work (see #nativedoctor); or him shopping when she just doesn't feel like shopping or cooking (which, believe me happens a LOT of times, but many women but a brave face on it)? Shouldn't a man care on such occasions too?

I would argue that a caring husband will go to the market just for the heck of it, and not wait for an excuse based on the wife's physical or psychological condition before he shows her that he cares. Thats true love. And true caring happens spontaneously, gracefully, proudly and plentifully - and does not need an excuse to be expressed.

Lets take another example: Should a man smile at his wife only when (a) he has offended her; or should he smile at her just because (b) he feels like smiling or (c) because she deserves to see him happy? - I subscribe to options (a); (b) and (c) any day.

I hope you understand where I am coming from.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Detongue: 4:40pm On Aug 05, 2012
Simple. AGBAYA
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by captalex(m): 7:48pm On Aug 05, 2012

1. No lady can take for granted (can't use food to deal with- assuming he could cook too).

3. Is dependable.

4. Is economical (assuming he was a bachelor). Not wasting his money on fast foods.

Ose mami,It's babes like you we desire,you understand us die,will add you now sha,you have to be fine sha
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by captalex(m): 7:55pm On Aug 05, 2012
slimyem: just my thoughts!
+100

Slimyem dey find free prick.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by deebrain(m): 8:51pm On Aug 05, 2012

3. Is dependable.

Flesh and blood did not reveal this to u. So On Point!
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by oluwapomile(m): 11:26pm On Aug 05, 2012
cryWoman wrapper
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Nobody: 11:45pm On Aug 05, 2012
tobechi74: If d man is short,

then d wife sent him on an erand.....
lwkmh oooo
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by lastpage: 1:15am On Aug 06, 2012
Some years back, it was my job (a man's job!) to fuel the generator and ensure its always at peak performance.
Then one day, l took-ill very seriously. It was one of those period when NEPA was "very kind' to my area and for like 5days, the did not bring light and my wife had no clue about what to do with the Generator! shocked shocked

We stayed in darkness (and heat!) for like 3days non-stop.

When l got well, the first thing she "vowed" was that l must teach her "everything" that otherwise were my "manly" responsibility!
It also became an opportunity for me to as well, delve into the "women's world"!

So, dont be surprised if you see my wife "changing tires or fueling generator" while l am "cooking Egusi soup in the kitchen or buying cow-leg! grin

Its not about money or stinginess, its just about "being capable and self-sustaining".

Lastpage!
Even my male children can cook and my daughters will do anything the boys can do!

3 Likes

Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Truckpusher(m): 2:44am On Aug 06, 2012
the man dey inside her job...abeg make una pack well.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by LuvkareeMa: 10:13am On Aug 06, 2012
Billyonaire: I think such a man needs to sit himself down and re-arrange his priorities in life. Very shameful...

C mumu, am sure u r a poor guy. na ur type, girls dey end up bullying, Ode. Mtcchw.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by attangi: 2:12pm On Aug 06, 2012
hi y'all
is this really a discussion or u guys r joking....then i guess either u have not really experienced love or u r just out ryt shallow...a man goes to the market ehhen.....like when u travel u dont see men in the market or cooking in the house...its no big deal...my dad goes to the market yeaaain fact all the time and i think thats a sign of love, humility and leadership to add...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Maggi Do You Prefer For Cooking? / SON Debunks Fake Amstel Malta Claims, As Police Search For Rumor-mongers / Bachelor's Breakfast.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.