Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,546 members, 7,809,006 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:02 PM

Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? (3564 Views)

Symbolism In Yoruba Traditional Religion / The Future Of African Traditional Religion. / Hausa Traditional Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by emofine2(f): 10:18am On Jul 15, 2012
Good vs Evil is not an unusual theme to be found in films especially those with a religious content.

In Nollywood the traditional systems appear diabolical. The image of a wretched looking diviner sitting in a nest of bushes, the figure that is meant to be offering help to those desperate enough for a quickie miracle adds to the supposed shadiness and uncivilized nature of traditional systems.

This of course is in contrast to the ideal image projected of Christianity – the seemingly “Good” side.

However there may be some wayo Christians although these characters are conveniently associated with traditional systems (or some other supposedly dark force) and are generally served their comeuppance by the righteous Christians.

Thus the image again presented is that genuine practised Christianity is a force for good whilst genuine practised traditional religion is a force for bad or usually employed by bad people.

Is it not a disservice that one of the largest film industries in the world peddles unflattering stereotypes and one-sided accounts of its own traditional religions?

1 Like

Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by mkmyers45(m): 10:26am On Jul 15, 2012
This is why i don't watch nollywood even in my dream...thìer representation of events is so stupid and annoying..eg they depict kings in Igbo-land before the coming of the white man...The effect of 'Our Religion is Supreme and Others are Evil' is clearly spilled into the movies in disgusting fashions angry

1 Like

Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by ifyalways(f): 4:00pm On Jul 15, 2012
How do the native doctors , ifa priests etal look in real life?I'm persuaded to believe that "most" look dirty and haggard.perhaps, the few enlightened believers of ATR should invest in "educating the priests and priestesses on the need to keep a clean, healthy enviroment"
However, I find it very disgusting that in almost all 'religion themed' nollywood movies, the bible and Christian wins/ hero/victor while our traditional religion is always portrayed as evil. When would we see a movie of how our fathers lived peacefully, worshiping their gods without the usual church/ missionary garbage?
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by ezeagu(m): 5:56pm On Jul 15, 2012
"Nollywood" misrepresents everything, and is at the forefront of the bastardisation of Igbo culture.

ifyalways: How do the native doctors , ifa priests etal look in real life?I'm persuaded to believe that "most" look dirty and haggard.perhaps, the few enlightened believers of ATR should invest in "educating the priests and priestesses on the need to keep a clean, healthy enviroment"
However, I find it very disgusting that in almost all 'religion themed' nollywood movies, the bible and Christian wins/ hero/victor while our traditional religion is always portrayed as evil. When would we see a movie of how our fathers lived peacefully, worshiping their gods without the usual church/ missionary garbage?

For Igbo Dibia, most of them cannot be distinguished from the general populace, although some don the stereotypical outfits shown in Nollywood as well. The stereotypes of evil dibia comes from people who gwọ nsi (or pretend to) which is not all dibia because dibia aren't all murderous lunatics (apart from wartimes). When an alusi starts asking for human beings many communities looked for ozo na nze's help to get rid of the alusi. The shrines shown in Nollywood are usually those cut in the bush type shrines with omu hung at its entrance with all types of terrifying sculptures drenched in blood red and black cloth, whereas in real life these existed but a shrine could also be a tree in the middle of the road, a statue in your house, or a building next door. Why would one even need to go to a dibia for poison anyway?

The real Igbo 'priests':

High priest Eze Nri Enwelana

[img]http://www2.newsvirginian.com/mgmedia/image/294/0/164881/african-kin/[/img][img]http://3.bp..com/_BaabZGe_Uf8/SWCTbDn4K1I/AAAAAAAAGAw/UBuqP76jJHs/s400/igbo+chief.jpg[/img]
[img]http://cmsimg.newsleader.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=AA&Date=20110730&Category=PHOTOGALLERIES&ArtNo=107300802&Ref=PH&Item=4&Maxw=640&Maxh=410&q=60[/img]

Other dibia:

[img]http://anthro.siu.edu/mccall/ohafia/igboscans/dibia/Dibia1.jpg[/img]

Shrines (Ihu arusi)

[img]http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/showfile.exe?CISOROOT=/buildings&CISOPTR=6015[/img][img]http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/showfile.exe?CISOROOT=/buildings&CISOPTR=6050[/img]
[img]http://2.bp..com/-yPZH6TrB2Fo/TpbmMQtQyFI/AAAAAAAAAn0/sFFj5AEpXWI/s1600/chi%2Bshrine.jpg[/img]
[img]http://igbocybershrine.files./2011/08/anyanwu.jpg[/img][img]http://igbocybershrine.files./2010/11/ngwu-deity.jpg[/img]
[img]http://nationalmirroronline.net/thumbnail.php?file=/A_shrine_where_the_Osu_is_dedicated_515272961.jpg&size=article_large[/img]

Stereotype:

But of course, there were human sacrifice cases (and still are, although in pre-colonial victims were criminals and war captives) ritualists, discrimination, and criminals, but many of these were special casese at the extreme end of the religions. No religion is perfect, as we know Christians in Akwa Ibom were nailing metal into their children's heads, women were burnt alive in Europe for being witches, and people regularly detonate themselves for various religious causes (including shooting up random people and funding genocidal empires). We don't use these frequent acts by a minority to judge everyone of that religion.

An example of demonisation exposed:

Okija community defends shrine, vows to resist acquisition

Vanguard
23rd August 2004

By Anayo Okili

AWKA —THE Okija community of Anambra State said weekend that the shrines from where the police recently recovered 80 decomposing corpses were as old as the community itself, and people going there did so purely to get justice. The Igwe-elect of Okija, Igwe Ben Okeke, at a press conference in his palace said the police discovery did not, by any means, make the people of Okija cannibals and warned against government plan to acquire the vast forest harbouring the shrines.

“Okija people are no barbarians, we are no cannibals, and I am personally a practising Catholic Christian since 99.9 per cent of the Okija royal cabinet are Christians,” he said in a statement read by the palace secretary. He also disowned the man who tipped off the police about the forest, saying the informant was unknown in the area.

In the text entitled “Okija: The truth about it all, as presented by Okija Royal Cabinet,” the Igwe-elect said: “The tradition of the worship of these deities is that the eldest (Okpala) in the village who is a pagan becomes the chief priest. People go to the shrines for the settlement of their cases because of the immediate and constant justice they receive from the shrines. It is because these people from far and wide go there for justice on their personal decision. It is true that the greater majority of the visitors who are the customers of these shrines come from outside Okija.

“If after the settlement of a case and the culprit finally dies, it is reported to the chief priest who allows the corpse to be brought and thrown into the shrine forest, buried or left just like that by the relations of the dead person. Some of the skulls discovered from the shrine could be older than all those who are now the priests of the shrines.

“It is true that these Ogwugwu killed the offenders who swore on them, including those who are the owners and the worshipers. These deities have no guns and no knives. It is guilty conscience that kills any offender. We need add that nobody has ever reported to the Okija Royal Cabinet that either the chief priests or their agents killed any of their people. All we hear in Okija is that Ogwugwu-Akpu or Ogwugwu-isi-ula killed someone and these stories were never challenged and we at Okija Royal Cabinet never bothered.

“We pray the police to investigate the cases of the arrested persons with fairness and honesty and if discovered that people worship Ogwgwu-Akpu and Ogwugwu-isi-ula in the traditional manner as their own religion, they should be left to be covered by the persuasive Christian religion. On the other hand, if along the line it is discovered that any person or group of persons went against the law, we shall not hesitate to say the law should take its course in dealing with them. The Okija customs and traditions advocate and insist on fairness and justice as well as respect of human life and cannot condone evil.

“However, we feel sad over the manner the police initially started handling the stories of Ogwugwu-Akpu and Ogwugwu-isi-ula, presenting the entire Okija community as idol worshippers and murderers. We are sure that the police know the real worshippers of these deities well enough. Allow us to end this address by telling you that Okija people are no barbarians, we are no cannibals and idol worshippers,” Okeke said.
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by herbman: 8:22am On Jul 17, 2012
As a practicing Herbman, I am more than appalled and less than impressed by Nollywood's flimsy portrayal of our great, good, and loving deities.
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:23am On Jul 17, 2012
ifyalways: How do the native doctors , ifa priests etal look in real life?I'm persuaded to believe that "most" look dirty and haggard.perhaps, the few enlightened believers of ATR should invest in "educating the priests and priestesses on the need to keep a clean, healthy enviroment"

if you spend your entire life-time in the bush, ofcourse youll look dirty and haggard. Our priests are not millionaires like those useless pastors and immams. and you certainly cant expect to wear an expensive suit in the dusty climate of the bush, and that is of they can even afford it. except a few struggling attempts by them Yoruba, most other tribes dont really have organized religion due to lack of support, so funds are out of the question. actually, what is your point sister
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by anonymous6(f): 5:43pm On Jul 17, 2012
to a extent yes
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by Ptolomeus(m): 6:35pm On Jul 17, 2012

You mentioned two points with which I totally agree.
1. The lack of priests and intellectualization of lso in general, African cults. and
2. The permanent affront and contempt of Nollywood (the West in general) toward religion and general culture of Africa.
It is outrageous to see, how they present all African practices such as witchcraft or superstition of fools ...
On this type of presentation, it strongly influences the Christian power, whose struggle is based on the disqualification, demonizing and discrediting of others.
I'm not talking about luxuries, but of culture.
A person without culture can not defend against attacks treóricos of other religious groups, and that is what is happening ... Christian groups falsehoods assault with the traditionalists, they are called witches ... and who respond to that? What traditionalist priest has the cultural level as to argue against these fallacies?
But. I think both issues are related.
Without improving the cultural level of the traditional priests will be very difficult to reverse the bad image.
My fraternal greetings!
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by tearjerker: 7:40pm On Jul 17, 2012
I'm not Nigerian, but was amazed at how Nollywood's portrayal of traditional religion. I can't believe that someone would consider the religions of their ancestor as something evil that is triumphed by a Christian God. My question is, what is it that makes the Euro-centric religion the right religion, and that of your ancestors the wrong/evil one. Why does their religion serve the one true God and yours, the devil.
As an outsider looking in, it seems like self hate and acceptance of something that does not naturally belong to you. Also, I whole-hardheartedly believe that religion is an integral part of culture. Culture cannot exist without religion. If you remove the traditional religion, you begin to alter the authenticity of the culture.
It's like traveling from the US to Nigeria to get a McDonald's Hamburger instead of pounded yam. It wouldn't make sense. When people Nigeria, they want to see Nigeria and all the things that make it unique to all of the other cultures of the world; all the things that makes it one of a kind.
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by tearjerker: 7:45pm On Jul 17, 2012
Ptolomeus:
On this type of presentation, it strongly influences the Christian power, whose struggle is based on the disqualification, demonizing and discrediting of others.
I
I agree with this 100%. There should be some sense or pride, respect, and preservation of the traditional/ancient religions.
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by ifyalways(f): 7:56pm On Jul 17, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

if you spend your entire life-time in the bush, ofcourse youll look dirty and haggard. Our priests are not millionaires like those useless pastors and immams. and you certainly cant expect to wear an expensive suit in the dusty climate of the bush, and that is of they can even afford it. except a few struggling attempts by them Yoruba, most other tribes dont really have organized religion due to lack of support, so funds are out of the question. actually, what is your point sister
my points are :
I agree that Nollywood misrepresents and mis inform people about ATR.
Nollywood might be to some extent excused for the wrong information they send concerning ATR cos they do so ignorantly.
Firm believers of ATR have alot of work to do in terms of " public image, enlightening" etc.
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by Ptolomeus(m): 9:11pm On Jul 17, 2012
tear_jerker: I'm not Nigerian, but was amazed at how Nollywood's portrayal of traditional religion. I can't believe that someone would consider the religions of their ancestor as something evil that is triumphed by a Christian God. My question is, what is it that makes the Euro-centric religion the right religion, and that of your ancestors the wrong/evil one. Why does their religion serve the one true God and yours, the devil.
As an outsider looking in, it seems like self hate and acceptance of something that does not naturally belong to you. Also, I whole-hardheartedly believe that religion is an integral part of culture. Culture cannot exist without religion. If you remove the traditional religion, you begin to alter the authenticity of the culture.
It's like traveling from the US to Nigeria to get a McDonald's Hamburger instead of pounded yam. It wouldn't make sense. When people Nigeria, they want to see Nigeria and all the things that make it unique to all of the other cultures of the world; all the things that makes it one of a kind.
Dear friend:
Thanks for you kindly.
I'm not Nigerian, I am Uruguayan and I live in Montevideo.
I understand that the "demonization" of traditional religions are the result of a clever work of the conquerors (Arabs and Christians). To master it is essential to achieve the vanquished desarraaigo; delete their culture, traditions, language, identity, and do accept the dominant culture.
The African culture and traditions have always been linked with religion. The easiest way to find European missionaries and priests, and the Arabs, was to identify precisely the traditional religion with the devil and all evil.
Paradoxically, the outrageous, is that Africans came to believe that!.
Religion African (Yoruba, voodoo, Nkisse, etc..) Is best known in the three Americas than in Africa itself.
Incredibly, if you study for example, the Yoruba religion (Orisa), can you understand that it is a religion that has no demons there is no figure of Satan or Lucifer ...
A tall tale, that all came to believe, and gave excellent dividends to the Europeans and Arabs.
Cultural slavery still exists in Africa.
My respects!

1 Like

Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:06pm On Jul 18, 2012
African Traditional Religion or any other Pagan religion in this world for matter link science with religion. it is the final link. period.
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by anonymous6(f): 12:08pm On Jul 19, 2012
tear_jerker: I'm not Nigerian, but was amazed at how Nollywood's portrayal of traditional religion. I can't believe that someone would consider the religions of their ancestor as something evil that is triumphed by a Christian God. My question is, what is it that makes the Euro-centric religion the right religion, and that of your ancestors the wrong/evil one. Why does their religion serve the one true God and yours, the devil.

Well traditional religion itself is not bad per sa, most Nigerians whether christian or Muslim are doing it behind closed doors but the problem with it is many people doing the traditional religion are doing it for bad not good compared to the Christians and Muslims that are doing it for good verse bad, I am not saying Christians and Muslims are perfect they are far from it but you don't hear them doing human sacrifices(at least the bad ones), and the original people of the Christian religion are not white but they weren't black either. In Asia many are practicing Muslim and Christan religion, even in Europe they had their traditional religion from the druids and etc, so you wouldn't call eurocentric if you look back.

At the sametime not all Nollywood movies have made traditional religion in Nigeria look bad especially in yoruba movies, especially the village ones very good and educational

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvfOEG5YBm4&feature=watch-now-button&wide=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgGOGE8fpmM&feature=watch-now-button&wide=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCXOimYeXTE&feature=watch-now-button&wide=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny3D5p6z_aE&feature=watch-now-button&wide=1
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:58pm On Jul 19, 2012
anonymous6:

Well traditional religion itself is not bad per sa, most Nigerians whether christian or Muslim are doing it behind closed doors but the problem with it is many people doing the traditional religion are doing it for bad not good compared to the Christians and Muslims that are doing it for good verse bad, I am not saying Christians and Muslims are perfect they are far from it but you don't hear them doing human sacrifices(at least the bad ones), and the original people of the Christian religion are not white but they weren't black either. In Asia many are practicing Muslim and Christan religion, even in Europe they had their traditional religion from the druids and etc, so you wouldn't call eurocentric if you look back.

you see herein lies the problem. after the advent of monotheism, you expect religion to do good for you and to serve your purpose. but heres the fact. Pagan religions are not meant to do your bidding. NO. you have a government for that to do good for you. the monotheists think, its always a good vs evil struggle where good will triumph. this is not the case with us. we believe in balancing the forces. i have already explained human sacrifices in previous threads and why it was carried it out in the past. you will have to dig through my old posts for that.

Asians have their own traditional religions. in fact, the situation of South, South-East and East Asians is very similar to our African religious situation. Europe "HAD" her traditional religions during the days of the tribes, but after christianity the tribes have become extinct and all the vast Pagan knowledge has been lost unfortuantely. europe can never return back. they are in fact one of the sources of trouble for all the world uptil the past 50 years, if you know what i mean.
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 20, 2012

Colonialism is the cause my brother. When the colonialists came, they seized all economic resources and diverted same towards those who embraced christianity. They condemned traditional religions as heathen, and eventually they got the Pavlovian reaction they sought among the Africans.

Only now are we starting to re-examine this poisonous colonial inheritance.
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by anonymous6(f): 12:38pm On Jul 21, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

you see herein lies the problem. after the advent of monotheism, you expect religion to do good for you and to serve your purpose. but heres the fact. Pagan religions are not meant to do your bidding. NO. you have a government for that to do good for you. the monotheists think, its always a good vs evil struggle where good will triumph. this is not the case with us. we believe in balancing the forces. i have already explained human sacrifices in previous threads and why it was carried it out in the past. you will have to dig through my old posts for that.

Asians have their own traditional religions. in fact, the situation of South, South-East and East Asians is very similar to our African religious situation. Europe "HAD" her traditional religions during the days of the tribes, but after christianity the tribes have become extinct and all the vast Pagan knowledge has been lost unfortuantely. europe can never return back. they are in fact one of the sources of trouble for all the world uptil the past 50 years, if you know what i mean.

You have some points but I don't think that should only be with solely on the backs on governments because governments are ruled by men, and as a result men can be wrong and all the negatives today and that's why many governments around the world are not up to their potential; I feel religion should also do good for you, isn't that what many religions teach but you also have to help yourself and earn rightfully as well.
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by tearjerker: 5:46pm On Sep 06, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Colonialism is the cause my brother. When the colonialists came, they seized all economic resources and diverted same towards those who embraced christianity. They condemned traditional religions as heathen, and eventually they got the Pavlovian reaction they sought among the Africans.

Only now are we starting to re-examine this poisonous colonial inheritance.

I'm actually a girl. smiley
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:00pm On Sep 07, 2012
anonymous6:

You have some points but I don't think that should only be with solely on the backs on governments because governments are ruled by men, and as a result men can be wrong and all the negatives today and that's why many governments around the world are not up to their potential; I feel religion should also do good for you, isn't that what many religions teach but you also have to help yourself and earn rightfully as well.

you have a governement/King/Chief to do good for you. that is his job.Kingship has always been a sacred institution since Stone-Age times. religion is just a guiding and influencing course that can influence personal good but not directly.
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:06pm On Sep 07, 2012
ezeagu:

But of course, there were human sacrifice cases (and still are, although in pre-colonial victims were criminals and war captives) ritualists, discrimination, and criminals, but many of these were special casese at the extreme end of the religions. No religion is perfect, as we know Christians in Akwa Ibom were nailing metal into their children's heads, women were burnt alive in Europe for being witches, and people regularly detonate themselves for various religious causes (including shooting up random people and funding genocidal empires). We don't use these frequent acts by a minority to judge everyone of that religion.

An example of demonisation exposed:

There i nothing wrong with human sacrifice pertaining to the Ages we are talking about. i hope you are all aware what the fate of prisoners of war or criminals was back then ok.

blood sacrifice clarification: sacrificial victims were criminals or POWs or at the most, religious volunteers. according to Pagan ideals, all creatures on this planet, be it animals, plants or humans, are equally created and important for the workings of this world. when you want something, you must give back something in return. this is called a sacrifice. when you want money, you sacrifice your effort to obtain it, when you want to eat, you sacrifice your money to buy food. in the same way, when people want simething from the divine forces, such as rains for good crops, etc. they have to give back something in return. now what they give back depends on the ritual, mode & context. it maybe a chicken, or a goat or vgetables, or something like that. now we believe that if other animals can be sacrificed, then why not humans this is why it was so in the past that criminals, POWS, etc., instead of normal execution as was the norm of aftermaths of battles in those days, they were killed on the altar of the Gods. now there is no real difference if they die in the gallows or on the altar, is there instead there is a + point if on the altar, because atleast the sacrifice would be appeased.
ofcourse Paganism is ever-evolving and such rituals can be subdued or changed but there is no difference really. . undecided
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by ezeagu(m): 11:21pm On Sep 08, 2012
Tell that to the empires that raided neighbouring communities for sacrifice victims. There's no way human sacrifice can be put in any good light, especially in this age.
Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:37pm On Sep 09, 2012
ezeagu: Tell that to the empires that raided neighbouring communities for sacrifice victims. There's no way human sacrifice can be put in any good light, especially in this age.

you are obviously referring to the Inca/Aztec Empires. those invasions were for political and subjugational means of surrounding tribes , today under the greater Quechua and Aymara Ethnic groups. for that age, it was relevant. today there is not much warfare. the world is a cowardly place. the point is that human sacrifice can be done at times, if required or under great calamities, instead of capital punishment. why waste>?

1 Like

Re: Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion? by ezeagu(m): 2:03am On Sep 11, 2012
I am completely wrong. The thread linked showed me that there is still a need for human sacrifice!

https://www.nairaland.com/1044167/lagos-introduce-chinese-public-schools

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba States, Hausa States, Azna States. / See The Secret Ogboni Fraternity Membership Form In 1955 (photo) / Meet The Kambarin, Koma And Jibu Tribes In Nigeria Who Don’t Wear Cloths.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.