Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,282 members, 7,780,642 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:27 PM

Urgent Information Needed Abt Gear Box Problem In Toyota Highlander 2005 Model - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Urgent Information Needed Abt Gear Box Problem In Toyota Highlander 2005 Model (3956 Views)

Gear Box Problem / Passat V6 Auto Gear Box Problem / Gear Box Problem? Read My Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent Information Needed Abt Gear Box Problem In Toyota Highlander 2005 Model by ikaba01: 7:22pm On Jul 16, 2012
Hi All,
I have decided to begin this thread to see if I can get help. I bought a 2005 toyota highlander from Contonou in Nov 2001. The vehicle developed? Gear box prbs in Akure and we were advised to change it. However, ppl who made me tnk they were experts advised against buying the type of gear box that came wit d car - 13 pin gear box, since, according to them, it is too sensitive and cld easily get spoilt. So they sugested conversion of the gear box system.
Naïve as I was, I agreed to buy a 9-pin and then a 12-pin gear box wn d 9-pin failed. The 12-pin gear box has also failed.
As I write, the car has been parked in my house as the 12 - pin gear box has also failed. Wot do I do next? Is conversion of gear box good? Anybody wit useful sugestions? I'll appreciate!
Re: Urgent Information Needed Abt Gear Box Problem In Toyota Highlander 2005 Model by steffans(m): 9:07pm On Jul 16, 2012
2005 model bought in nov 2001??

1 Like

Re: Urgent Information Needed Abt Gear Box Problem In Toyota Highlander 2005 Model by ikaba01: 6:14am On Jul 17, 2012
@ Steffans: Nov 2011. Typo - sorry
Re: Urgent Information Needed Abt Gear Box Problem In Toyota Highlander 2005 Model by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:20am On Jul 17, 2012
ikaba01: Hi All,
I have decided to begin this thread to see if I can get help. I bought a 2005 toyota highlander from Contonou in Nov 2001. The vehicle developed? Gear box prbs in Akure and we were advised to change it. However, ppl who made me tnk they were experts advised against buying the type of gear box that came wit d car - 13 pin gear box, since, according to them, it is too sensitive and cld easily get spoilt. So they sugested conversion of the gear box system.
Naïve as I was, I agreed to buy a 9-pin and then a 12-pin gear box wn d 9-pin failed. The 12-pin gear box has also failed.
As I write, the car has been parked in my house as the 12 - pin gear box has also failed. Wot do I do next? Is conversion of gear box good? Anybody wit useful sugestions? I'll appreciate!

tell us the problem you were having with your 1st gear box the cars original. i presume it an automatic gear box, it might have been a simple sensor failer was there any light on that the dashboard, was the car put on a machine to read out any codes
Re: Urgent Information Needed Abt Gear Box Problem In Toyota Highlander 2005 Model by pek(m): 8:55am On Jul 17, 2012
A 13 pin gear box sells for 300. 10 pin of the same goes for 130. Our mechanics will tell you they can convert 13 pin to 10 pin and it will work. Ask yourself, is the mechanic wiser than people that made the car. The 13 pin is an electrical connection that go straight to the ECU(brainbox). This should give you an idea if the gear will work well or not.
Re: Urgent Information Needed Abt Gear Box Problem In Toyota Highlander 2005 Model by ikaba01: 11:42am On Jul 17, 2012
@pek: thanks a lot. But the price I've been given is 350k. Is it true that the 13 - pin is too sensitive? Can I get a contact for the gear box? I thenrefore have to reconvert it bak to d original 13pin. Will appreciate.

@zim drill: as they were coming from Lagos to calabar, @ akure, the car sudenly couldn't change gear anymore. It was scanned wit a computer by a mech in Elizade and they said it was the gear box. They changed the sensors as well as the valve body and it dint produce any change. So we decided to change the gear box.
Re: Urgent Information Needed Abt Gear Box Problem In Toyota Highlander 2005 Model by ikaba01: 11:44am On Jul 17, 2012
Just to find out if there's anyone who's changed his gear box in toyota highlander and it is working optimally?
Re: Urgent Information Needed Abt Gear Box Problem In Toyota Highlander 2005 Model by pek(m): 12:43pm On Jul 17, 2012
Before buying the gearbox, there issues u should settle first. Send me mail. pek_tech@yahoo.com
Re: Urgent Information Needed Abt Gear Box Problem In Toyota Highlander 2005 Model by rayo2002: 6:56pm On Jul 30, 2012
any new update on this?
Re: Urgent Information Needed Abt Gear Box Problem In Toyota Highlander 2005 Model by pek(m): 9:18am On Jul 31, 2012
rayo2002: any new update on this?
some are not just used to giving update even after giving invaluable advise!
Re: Urgent Information Needed Abt Gear Box Problem In Toyota Highlander 2005 Model by ikaba01: 10:25pm On Jul 31, 2012
Sorry abt dt. Met a mech in calabar dis morn who advised dt I chld buy a complete gear box and engine. Dnt knw how true or workable dt is but I'm stil weighing d pros and d cons.
Re: Urgent Information Needed Abt Gear Box Problem In Toyota Highlander 2005 Model by pek(m): 10:31am On Aug 01, 2012
I want to believe the car is in Akure, right? The mechanic advising you to change the gear and engine has he seen the car? I sent you a mail and advised you on what to do. Did you do it? When the car was scanned what was the codes pulled?
Re: Urgent Information Needed Abt Gear Box Problem In Toyota Highlander 2005 Model by ikaba01: 6:36am On Aug 02, 2012
The car is not in Akure. Its in calabar. The first 9 pin was able to move the car from Akure to Cross River, but afta a couple of days, as I was driving, d gear box starting leaking oil profusely from the convoter area. By d time it was checked, the mech said d gear box had knocked. I was then advised to get a 10 pin gear box wc I did. Anoda conversion was done from 9 pin to 10 pin. But I noticed that while driving, d rpm rises faster than d movt of d car. Besides this, the gear oil began to leak produsely through d driver's side shaft. The seals changed gives way almost immediately. So I decided to park d car.

The last mec in calabar, some Lebanese adviced dt I should go get d original 13 pin gear box meant for d car and put it, assuring me dt it will work. That's my predicament.
Re: Urgent Information Needed Abt Gear Box Problem In Toyota Highlander 2005 Model by akajos4real: 2:44pm On Jan 22, 2018
My own car is a 2004 Highlander that the Gearbox works fine until it gets to about 80km/hr after which the change in gear stops and begins to drag. I have changed the filter and it is still the same thing.
Any ideas on how I can handle this issue? There is already a suggestion that I change the Automatic Gearbox Valve Body.

I need your help please.

(1) (Reply)

G-Wagen Vs Hummer H3 [PHOTO] / Is The Uber Business Still Lucrative In Lagos? / Toyota's Venza Axed After A Mere 6-year Production

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.