Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,700 members, 7,802,072 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! (3936 Views)

How Do You Convince An Atheist That GOD Truly Exist / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by MacDaddy01: 1:34pm On Jul 17, 2012
Yes, shamefully, I admit that I am afraid of the dark. Yes, I am an atheist and I dont believe that spirits are waiting for me in the dark but it is a pavlovian conditioning of my subconscious that keeps me scared.

You see, I was brought up as a catholic and watched so many horror movies as a child. With lots of images about the devil imprinted on someones mind from a young age, it is impossible to repair the damage. What horror movie did I not see since when I was 3 yeas old? Is it the excorcist or the evil dead or night of the living dead? What made it worse was that I lived in a huge house with lots of trees and fruits in Nigeria. This means that there were owls and bats making noises in the night. The same noises in horror movies. What made this worse was the teaching of hell and burning with the devil with horns. Also, as a nigerian, there are juju stories like Madam koin koin and stuff.

Quite frankly, it pisses me off that I cant recover from this brainwashing and conditioning. While I know that there are no monsters or spirits, I am always alert when it is dark at night. I prefer to sleep with the lights on.

Are you afraid of the dark?

Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by alexleo(m): 2:25pm On Jul 17, 2012
Its just the realities of life that you are trying to run away from that is hunting you. However you are free to believe it or reject it in your usual style.

MacDaddy01: Yes, shamefully, I admit that I am afraid of the dark. Yes, I am an atheist and I dont believe that spirits are waiting for me in the dark but it is a pavlovian conditioning of my subconscious that keeps me scared.

You see, I was brought up as a catholic and watched so many horror movies as a child. With lots of images about the devil imprinted on someones mind from a young age, it is impossible to repair the damage. What horror movie did I not see since when I was 3 yeas old? Is it the excorcist or the evil dead or night of the living dead? What made it worse was that I lived in a huge house with lots of trees and fruits in Nigeria. This means that there were owls and bats making noises in the night. The same noises in horror movies. What made this worse was the teaching of hell and burning with the devil with horns. Also, as a nigerian, there are juju stories like Madam koin koin and stuff.

Quite frankly, it pisses me off that I cant recover from this brainwashing and conditioning. While I know that there are no monsters or spirits, I am always alert when it is dark at night. I prefer to sleep with the lights on.

Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 17, 2012
This is strange. You are not supposed to believe in anything supernatural.
Maybe this is the reason why you're scared.
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by REMMEI(m): 2:34pm On Jul 17, 2012
YOU ARE AFRAID OF YOURSELF..WHY?..SMH*
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by MacDaddy01: 2:43pm On Jul 17, 2012
REMMEI: YOU ARE AFRAID OF YOURSELF..WHY?..SMH*

Heard of conditioning? Pavlov?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_conditioning
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by MacDaddy01: 2:45pm On Jul 17, 2012
fellis: This is strange. You are not supposed to believe in anything supernatural.
Maybe this is the reason why you're scared.

Probably. I dont believe in anything supernatural. I am guessing that my condition is an effect of conditioning
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 17, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Probably. I dont believe in anything supernatural. I am guessing that my condition is an effect of conditioning
What exactly are you scared of? That the spirits would come out from the shadows and attack you? Or you think they are watching silently from the darkness? What makes you afraid?
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by MacDaddy01: 3:01pm On Jul 17, 2012
fellis:
What exactly are you scared of? That the spirits would come out from the shadows and attack you? Or you think they are watching silently from the darkness? What makes you afraid?

I have no idea. I am just not comfortable when I alone in the dark. I could be alone in a mansion and I would not care but turn off the lights and it is a different matter.
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 17, 2012
Since it happens in the dark why don't you try sleeping with a dim light on? Something with a small source of light.
Or if you cannot leave any lights on then distract yourself when in the dark. Think of other things, like the days activities or plans for the next day.
Or play with your phone till you fall asleep.
If these don't help then you might need to take your weird fear to a psychologist.
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 17, 2012
MacDaddy01:

perhaps you're just afraid of evolutionary events that may take place in the dark?
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by MacDaddy01: 3:41pm On Jul 17, 2012
fellis: Since it happens in the dark why don't you try sleeping with a dim light on? Something with a small source of light.
Or if you cannot leave any lights on then distract yourself when in the dark. Think of other things, like the days activities or plans for the next day.
Or play with your phone till you fall asleep.
If these don't help then you might need to take your weird fear to a psychologist.

Its not something that is very important in my life. If put the lights off, I just shove my face under the pillow. End of story and into dream land.

Howver, it surprises me why as a grown man, I cant shake off this phobia.
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by MrAnony1(m): 3:53pm On Jul 17, 2012
MacDaddy01: Yes, shamefully, I admit that I am afraid of the dark. Yes, I am an atheist and I dont believe that spirits are waiting for me in the dark but it is a pavlovian conditioning of my subconscious that keeps me scared.

Of course logicboy, Don't face your fears, just blame it all on the "evil christian brainwashing". Very convenient eh?
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by tobechi20(m): 3:54pm On Jul 17, 2012
I think dats ur phobia....every one has a phobia for sth irrespective of religion
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jul 17, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Its not something that is very important in my life. If put the lights off, I just shove my face under the pillow. End of story and into dream land.

Howver, it surprises me why as a grown man, I cant shake off this phobia.

chronological age is not directly correlated with emotional and mental maturity.
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by MacDaddy01: 4:21pm On Jul 17, 2012
tobechi20: I think dats ur phobia....every one has a phobia for sth irrespective of religion

Agreed
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by MacDaddy01: 4:22pm On Jul 17, 2012
davidylan:

perhaps you're just afraid of evolutionary events that may take place in the dark?

Daviddylan evolving into a respectful human being. What a nightmare
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by MacDaddy01: 4:24pm On Jul 17, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Of course logicboy, Don't face your fears, just blame it all on the "evil christian brainwashing". Very convenient eh?

lol......Yes, of course you would want to defend christianity
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 17, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Daviddylan evolving into a respectful human being. What a nightmare

cheesy cheesy cheesy what the Lord has done for me, He can do for you.
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 17, 2012
davidylan:

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by MacDaddy01: 5:42pm On Jul 17, 2012
davidylan:

cheesy cheesy cheesy what the Lord has done for me, He can do for you.

lol
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by God2man(m): 8:46pm On Jul 17, 2012
Oga mcdaddy01, Pls, once in while, listen to the voice of your conscience, it is God's inner Police officer, warning you. You cannot stop the voice of your conscience. You may smoke,drink,womanize for a while. The voice may stop. After some time the Policeman(your conscience) will come back. It is there. It is real. It will continue to warn you until you listen. God's inner Police officer(your conscience) has a time limit.

God bless you.
God2man.
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by MacDaddy01: 9:03pm On Jul 17, 2012
God2man: Oga mcdaddy01, Pls, once in while, listen to the voice of your conscience, it is God's inner Police officer, warning you. You cannot stop the voice of your conscience. You may smoke,drink,womanize for a while. The voice may stop. After some time the Policeman(your conscience) will come back. It is there. It is real. It will continue to warn you until you listen. God's inner Police officer(your conscience) has a time limit.

God bless you.
God2man.

Sharaap there.

Fake azz evengelist! I have a phobia not a spiritual problem.

2 Likes

Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by Ptolomeus(m): 9:22pm On Jul 17, 2012
No, I have no fear of the dark, and I have no fear of going to a graveyard at night.
I do not think the fear of the dark has to do with atheism.
It's just a psychological issue, nothing more than that.
May be related to some instance of childhood, or just a distaste for the lack of light.
But that has nothing to do with religion.
Warm regards, and up your mood, sleep with the lights on is no drama!
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by Ptolomeus(m): 9:28pm On Jul 17, 2012
God2man: Oga mcdaddy01, Pls, once in while, listen to the voice of your conscience, it is God's inner Police officer, warning you. You cannot stop the voice of your conscience. You may smoke,drink,womanize for a while. The voice may stop. After some time the Policeman(your conscience) will come back. It is there. It is real. It will continue to warn you until you listen. God's inner Police officer(your conscience) has a time limit.

God bless you.
God2man.
Satan, terror, heresies, hell, eternal punishment, lake of fire, Lucifer, demons, sin, virgin, teetotaler, temptation, fear, repression, police, regret, pain, tithe ...
That sad little world so ...
How fantasy and fanaticism can ruin someone's life.
THE TRUE DARKNESS IS THAT IN WHICH YOU LIVE.

1 Like

Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by dorox(m): 9:48pm On Jul 17, 2012
I used to be afraid of the dark until i was ten when my dad asked me if i have seen a spirit before. I told him no and he said he hasn't either, that i should stop worrying over spirits and ghost that they are just stories meant to scare little children.
I gradually learnt to overcome my fear from that night though it took about a year before totally lost my fear of the dark, if need be i could pitch a tent in a graveyard without one iota of fear of the supernatural.
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by alexleo(m): 10:01pm On Jul 17, 2012

God bless you.
God2man.

You are right
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by DeepSight(m): 10:13pm On Jul 17, 2012
davidylan:

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! ! ! ! ! !

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by MacDaddy01: 10:49pm On Jul 17, 2012
alexleo:

You are right

You are delusional
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by MacDaddy01: 10:49pm On Jul 17, 2012
Ptolomeus: No, I have no fear of the dark, and I have no fear of going to a graveyard at night.
I do not think the fear of the dark has to do with atheism.
It's just a psychological issue, nothing more than that.
May be related to some instance of childhood, or just a distaste for the lack of light.
But that has nothing to do with religion.
Warm regards, and up your mood, sleep with the lights on is no drama!

Thank you, Ptolomeus
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by MacDaddy01: 10:50pm On Jul 17, 2012
dorox: I used to be afraid of the dark until i was ten when my dad asked me if i have seen a spirit before. I told him no and he said he hasn't either, that i should stop worrying over spirits and ghost that they are just stories meant to scare little children.
I gradually learnt to overcome my fear from that night though it took about a year before totally lost my fear of the dark, if need be i could pitch a tent in a graveyard without one iota of fear of the supernatural.

Thats cool. wink

I am not afraid of the supernatural. Just a phobia of darkness.
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by FXKing2012(m): 11:10pm On Jul 17, 2012
[b]MacDaddy is simply confused and in need of help.[/b]a[color=#006600][/color]
Re: An Atheist That Is Afraid Of The Dark!! by MacDaddy01: 11:13pm On Jul 17, 2012
FXKing2012: [b]MacDaddy is simply confused and in need of help.[/b]a[color=#006600][/color]

A phobia of darkness.

One christian calls it a spiritual problem, the other one calls it confusion. Oyedepo will cure it with slaps.

You christians can be insane at times

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Korean DRAWS The Picture Of HELL / Open Heavens Daily Devotional By Pastor E. A. Adeboye / Where Is God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.