Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,711 members, 7,805,924 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:32 AM

Getting Overcharged In Shops Based On race or socio economic class - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Getting Overcharged In Shops Based On race or socio economic class (822 Views)

The Latest Research On Race - Dr Rushton / Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief / Are African Americans Qualified To Be A Mixed Race Or Are They Not Mixed Enough? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Getting Overcharged In Shops Based On race or socio economic class by Leilah(f): 4:49am On Dec 06, 2007
I don't know whether or not I should post a topic like this, but however I will. This has been boiling up inside me for quite a long time now.  Basically, I have had my hair braided a couple of times in the last few years I had it done for a reasonable price in Abuja. But, here in Ireland I am charged €100.00 and any other customer who is african or black is charged €40.00 I have had a relation of mine suss it all out for me.  Its understandable by all means that money has to be sent home to families in Nigeria etc. The issue here is not money (I am about to qualify as a laywer in May) the issue is, I feel as though I am being discriminated against and feel very disheartened as a result. It has also happened me in a number of food stores before and I kindly brought it to their attention and was issued with a receipt together with an apology. I was reluctant to report these incidents to the national consumer agency out of consideration for the ladies that owned the shop. Its like, if I ring up and ask for a quotation I get told the usual price and if you like, my sister in law phones about exactly the same matter and she gets a totally different price. Even if I ask for a price list its not possible for me to have that. I know it is indeed a matter for the national consumer agency, but from a personal point of view I think these ladies actually dislike me even though they are very friendly to my face obviously.  In the likes of Abuja, or anywhere else in Nigeria I have travelled to, its quite acceptable that I will be overcharged there as a tourist and in a developing country but to do it here in Dublin anyway,  what are your views on this?  many thanks.  smiley
Re: Getting Overcharged In Shops Based On race or socio economic class by wendymanda: 5:25am On Dec 06, 2007
I would not classify this as racism but I can understand how you would as you are experiencing it. The reason they do it to you is because they assume since your not African you are more wealthy. Not saying its right but I guess when you call them out on it they change? Anyways try and go somewhere else.

(1) (Reply)

What Do You Think? / Your Votes Are Needed Here: / Funny Cultural Reality Joke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.