Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,656 members, 7,801,906 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:06 AM

BMW Owners' Forum - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW Owners' Forum (229647 Views)

Honda CRV Owners Forum / Nissan Xterra Owners Forum / Kia Owners Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (93) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by dollypi(m): 10:03pm On Mar 02, 2013
Hello guys.

I'm wondering if I can get the BMW Peake SRS Airbag Scan Reset Tool to purchase from anyone/anywhere in Nigeria, or if there's anyone or an autoshop with the tool and located in Lagos?
I had to replace my worn out steering wheel, and the airbag light has been on since. Car's an e46.

Thanks.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by dollypi(m): 10:16pm On Mar 02, 2013
Also, my check engine light came up, I ran a diagnostic scan on it, and codes P1155 (O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Intermittant (Bank 2 Sensor 2)) and P1112 (Engine Coolant Temperature Radiator Outlet Sensor High Input) came up.

Any idea what I should do? P1112 seems easy ( replace the engine coolant temperature sensor) although I have no idea where to get the new parts. Ladipo people will not do, to avoid getting an already condemned one.

The P1155 is a real head-scratcher though. Absolutely no idea what to do.

Thanks in advance.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by aesola: 5:55pm On Mar 03, 2013
BMW! I bought 2000 model 3.20. It is my first car, easy to maintain and never disappoints me.

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by clemclem(m): 12:36pm On Mar 12, 2013
I drive bmw 328 i 1997 model -3 series. I
mistakenly lost the chip that comes with the
key . The chip is the link between the
ignition, brain box and ews. Without it the
car will not start. After much problem the
ecu ( brain box) and ews was changed with
another purchased from ladopo market.
Though the motor starts but i ve been
having series of problem with it. Firstly, the
air conditioner stops working, high fuel
consumption- maximum of 30 miles/ ten
litres and many more. Then i went on net
to search the label on the brain box
purchased. To my surprise, it was 5 series
brain box that was inatalled on my 3 series
by electrician. Ever since then i ve search
ladipo to get the exact type for my car all to
no avail. This is my situation and issue. I
want the complete brain box and ews for
bmw 3 series, 328i 1997 model. please
nairalander help me with the information
on where i can get it. thanks
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by talktimi(m): 1:23pm On Mar 12, 2013
clemclem:

if you didn't see it in a whole ladipo then I suggest you ship it in from europe, look for reputable bmw parts marketers online maybe ebay or ask a friend abroad to get the correct one for you. My own advice
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by GrownMan(m): 2:36pm On Mar 12, 2013
Guys,

Please I want an E46 but I have been told some of the engines are aluminium blocks while others are steel blocks. How can I tell which is which? The advice is that the steel blocks will last a whole longer than the aluminium engines for obvious reasons.

Abeg make una advice o....

Thanks
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 5:01pm On Mar 12, 2013
Grown_Man: Guys,

Please I want an E46 but I have been told some of the engines are aluminium blocks while others are steel blocks. How can I tell which is which? The advice is that the steel blocks will last a whole longer than the aluminium engines for obvious reasons.

Thanks
i doubt whether you'l find an e46 steel block. They are all aluminium block. The M50 in the e36 is iron block. So its more like, m52 vs m50
The e46 m52 is lighter, but from what my mech says, its more oriented to being condemned if it ever overheats. The m50 block is tougher. but the m52 block is newer and lighter. I think i like the m50 the more...the nikasil problem in the older m52s were corrected in the e46 m52.
The ''steel'' you made reference to was used in the inner bore of the latter m52 as a remedy to the defects experienced in earlier m52s...

2 Likes

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 5:09pm On Mar 12, 2013
clemclem:

i see the 328i (m52) as a more fragile system than the 325 or 320i (m50)...i would advice you take the car for a scan...to know what codes it'l throw up. It wouldn't cost more than N7000 i guess...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by ZUBY77(m): 6:49pm On Mar 12, 2013
My power steering pump failed yesterday. My steering wheel is as hard a pushing a tank full of water.

E36, 325i 6cyl.

Beast on the road
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 9:42pm On Mar 12, 2013
Grown_Man: Guys,

Thanks
i doubt whether you'l find an e46 steel block. They are all aluminium block. The M50 in the e36 is iron block. So its more like, m52 vs m50
The e46 m52 is lighter, but from what my mech says, its more oriented to being condemned if it ever overheated. The m50 block is tougher. but the m52 block is newer and lighter. I think i like the m50 the more...the nikasil problem in the older m52s were corrected in the e46 m52.
The ''steel'' you made reference to was used in the inner bore of the m52 as a remedy to the defects experienced in earlier m52s...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 9:44pm On Mar 12, 2013
ZUBY77: My power steering pump failed yesterday. My steering wheel is as hard a pushing a tank full of water.

E36, 325i 6cyl.

Beast on the road
seems thats a common issue with the bmw, mine currently has that problem. It costs N8000 here, in port harcourt.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 9:47pm On Mar 12, 2013
people say i drive an old car, but im actually crazy abour the 325/328...how's the consumption of the 2.5litre,
@zubby, is yours vanos or non-vanos?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by GrownMan(m): 7:59am On Mar 13, 2013
@ yungboss thanks for the pointers... its very helpful. I was running from the M52 because of the possible over heating issue that may kill the engine on the E46 hence my query. I understand there is an M54 which is better than the M52? Or should I just buy an European model and call it a day? Only that I dont want to buy a car and then start spending on engine wahala because its not used to the Nigerian weather conditions.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 11:53pm On Mar 13, 2013
@grown man:

As long as you stop the car immediately you notice overheating, you're good to go. My e46 325i has overheated more times than I can remember, and it's still going strong (knock on wood). The engine is strong.

I hear the engine goes for about 180k at ladipo.
If not for X5 cheap skates replacing their engines with the 325i and 330i engines, it wouldn't cost so much.

So, buy a well maintained e46 and enjoy yourself.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by cardoctor(m): 8:53am On Mar 14, 2013
TheShopKeeper: BMW 525i Auto diesel is one of the best drive around.

I have a lot of technical knowledge on these diesel engined models and a many guys here in Naija who own these cars are having nightmares with maintenance issues due to the fact that most independent workshops for BMW's only seem to be concerned about the more common petrol models. The diesel variant are quite powerful with good torque on demand especially when climbing hilly roads. Assisted by a turbo charger and Direct Injection diesel engine, you do really get an exhilarating drive. If you have any technical queries, pls feel free to call or email me.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by GrownMan(m): 9:15am On Mar 14, 2013
@ freedom@last thanks for the advice. Is your E46 from Europe?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 11:01am On Mar 14, 2013
freedom@last:
@grown man:

As long as you stop the car immediately you notice overheating, you're good to go. My e46 325i has overheated more times than I can remember, and it's still going strong (knock on wood). The engine is strong.

I hear the engine goes for about 180k at ladipo.
If not for X5 cheap skates replacing their engines with the 325i and 330i engines, it wouldn't cost so much.

So, buy a well maintained e46 and enjoy yourself.
so people actually replace the the x5 engine with the 325, thats suprising. A variant of the early x5 engine is similar to the 330i...i own an e46 323ci (sports), and the engine is same as the 325i but with a lower horsepower.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by april4mee(m): 5:47pm On Mar 16, 2013
Hello fellow beema fans! I wanna buy a bmw 2003 coja. I really wanna know ao it looks. Cos av seen different models proofing to be coja. And am confused. Can y'all help me out. I wouldn't mind pictures.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by jahonmatic(m): 6:17pm On Mar 16, 2013
hope to own a bmw soon....2007 520..hopefully
if i may ask....how true is that ....overheating of engine is peculiar to BMWs?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 9:13pm On Mar 16, 2013
april4mee: Hello fellow beema fans! I wanna buy a bmw 2003 coja. I really wanna know ao it looks. Cos av seen different models proofing to be coja. And am confused. Can y'all help me out. I wouldn't mind pictures.
www.nairaland.com/836517/there-bmw-m3s-nigeria
siena dealt exhaustively on your enquiry
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 11:46pm On Mar 16, 2013
though siena dealt on the M3s, the 'coja' you referred to has the same body as the third generation m3 in that link. Seeing it will be clearer to you as to how the 2003 coja looks...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by akinola1384(m): 7:10am On Mar 17, 2013
Hi, pls I need ur advice am about paying for bmw 318 still clean but? This vehicle mentance free and the part
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 7:20am On Mar 17, 2013
jahonmatic: hope to own a bmw soon....2007 520..hopefully
if i may ask....how true is that ....overheating of engine is peculiar to BMWs?
unfortunately i do not know about that model/bmw you seek to find answers to the questions you ask,but i'll say these:
the older models had the issue of water pump breaking down at certain age, this they say results from the plastic-made impeller of the pump. There's that problem which would inevitably occur.
Filling up your radiator to the brim most definitely is a cause of overheating, cos you'll be choking the return path, a small orifice around near the mouth of the of the radiator ...there's a level stated on the body of the radiator which should not be exceeded when adding coolant.
Type of coolant? I think BMW is fairly liberal, any ethylene glycol anti freeze with AOT corrosion inhibitors, phosphate & nitrate free will do (i may not be 100% correct, experts' opinions are highly welcome here pls, but this is my belief) ...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 7:39am On Mar 17, 2013
there are also othe overheating-related issues as thermostat malfunction, fan clutch issues, improper bleeding of the cooling system etc in the older models, i dont know if they so occur in the newer model you stated...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 12:09am On Mar 19, 2013
Grown_Man: @ freedom@last thanks for the advice. Is your E46 from Europe?

No, it's from the US.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 1:25am On Mar 19, 2013
yungboss:
so people actually replace the the x5 engine with the 325, thats suprising. A variant of the early x5 engine is similar to the 330i...i own an e46 323ci (sports), and the engine is same as the 325i but with a lower horsepower.
Not only the engine. The gearbox as well. Making the demand for those particular items more expensive than they should be.

My e46 has the sport package too, with premium sound. A joy to cruise in.

I used a 1991 model 325i e36 for about 3 years before getting the e46.

By the way, I have the e46 manual somewhere on my laptop, in case anyone needs it.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 7:00am On Mar 19, 2013
freedom@last:

Not only the engine. The gearbox as well. Making the demand for those particular items more expensive than they should be.

My e46 has the sport package too, with premium sound. A joy to cruise in.

I used a 1991 model 325i e36 for about 3 years before getting the e46.

By the way, I have the e46 manual somewhere on my laptop, in case anyone needs it.
please freedom@last,send it to oshoikekhai@yahoo.com...i'll need to look at certain things, ihave one somewhere too.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by shevalync: 12:51pm On Apr 02, 2013
I have a 2000 E46. its been giving me some problems recently,the stirring rack got damaged, then the control arms of the rare wheels. the engine also started behaving funny and my mech insisted that its due to the fact that I do service the engine at a service center and not with a mechanic. now my questions are (1)how much does it cost to get the strirring rack and the control arms (2)what kind of oil do I use.thanks
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 9:30pm On Apr 02, 2013
shevalync: I have a 2000 E46. its been giving me some problems recently,the stirring rack got damaged, then the control arms of the rare wheels. the engine also started behaving funny and my mech insisted that its due to the fact that I do service the engine at a service center and not with a mechanic. now my questions are (1)how much does it cost to get the strirring rack and the control arms (2)what kind of oil do I use.thanks
i use mobil 1 for my cars...i dont really know the cost of the parts you ask for in the e46, i haven't bought those parts yet...maybe other forum members can help out

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (93) (Reply)

Club-Lexus / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.