Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:05 PM

Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition (4720 Views)

Lagos Government Shuts Marina Mosque / Fashola Spent N139million On Two Boreholes - Lagos Government / …babangida Defends Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by mukina2: 2:25pm On Jul 19, 2012
The Lagos State Government has defended the controversial demolition of shanties in the Makoko area of the state.

Speaking in Lagos on Wednesday, the State Commissioner for Waterfront Infrastructure Development, Adesegun Oniru, said the demolition of shanties in the coastal community was to protect the environment and the lives of affected residents.

Oniru said the persistent thunderstorm and attendant rise in the water level occasioned by climate change could result in needless loss of lives in the area.

He added that Power infrastructure, like poles and power lines around the shanties, also pose serious threats to residents' lives.

"There is an electrical pilot that goes across the shanties on the water, and we don’t want disasters to happen around that area, that was why we acted fast and took the action," he said.

“The reason for our action is to clear the environment and the entire vicinity of the danger that is looming in that area."

Mixed reactions have trailed the exercise, as the residents were only given 72-hour evacuation notice and not provided with alternative places of abode.

In his reaction, Oniru said there was no plan by the government to resettle the displaced persons, as they had illegally occupied the land in the first place.

However, residents and human rights groups have continued to condemn the state government's action.

A Makoko community leader, John Maotin, who described the demolition exercise as "callous", considering the short notice issued to them, said thousands of people had already been rendered homeless.

He said the fishing community ought to be provided with alternative places to live and work.

"Our occupation is fishing and there is no other place we can go to do our work," he said, pleading that the state government should reconsider its stance.

“We live and work on the water, and also contribute to the development of the state and the country."

http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/lagos-state-government-defends-makoko-demolition
Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by Afam4eva(m): 3:41pm On Jul 19, 2012
This excuses don't make sense because these people have been living there for decades. Though i understand that there was a need to demolish those houses. I just hope they were settled.
Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 19, 2012
Oniru said the persistent thunderstorm and attendant rise in the water level occasioned by climate change could result in needless loss of lives in the area.

He added that Power infrastructure, like poles and power lines around the shanties, also pose serious threats to residents' lives. "There is an electrical pilot that goes across the shanties on the water, and we don’t want disasters to happen around that area, that was why we acted fast and took the action," he said. “The reason for our action is to clear the environment and the entire vicinity of the danger that is looming in that area."

^^^Interesting...

People shouldn't be allowed to live under such appalling conditions...
Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by KINGwax(m): 3:48pm On Jul 19, 2012
afam4eva: This excuses don't make sense because these people have been living there for decades. Though i understand that there was a need to demolish those houses. I just hope they were settled.
^^
it's not an excuse, it's a reason. And a good reason. So shut your trap if u have nothin to say.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by maclatunji: 3:50pm On Jul 19, 2012
I am sorry but this headline is funny ... was anyone actually thinking it would condemn it?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by ebamma(m): 3:51pm On Jul 19, 2012
wetin come concern us,abi we get fishermen or slum dwellers for nairaland?
Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by Afam4eva(m): 3:51pm On Jul 19, 2012
KINGwax: ^^
it's not an excuse, it's a reason. And a good reason. So shut your trap if u have nothin to say.
undecided
Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by Elueme: 3:56pm On Jul 19, 2012
These residents are human beings and should be treated with humane.. I don't have problem with demolishing the shanties but the way and manner you do such matters.. It is now they know the residents are living there illegally, what defines legality of place of abode?these people have been living there for ages, living a peasant life with fish farming why just oppressed them just because you have an ulterior motive with the coastland? This is becoming a common trend with ACN govt Edo inclusive.. PDP led govt will never attempt such and if they do this so called democrats will blow the roof off it... I think they should have a rethink on this

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by tonyx4x44(m): 4:04pm On Jul 19, 2012
What is the re-settlement program?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by sherrylo: 4:11pm On Jul 19, 2012
5m each family undecided
Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 19, 2012
72 hours to evacuate your abode without an alternative being provided? Are the masses meant to benefit from the government at all? Next thing we'll see is land in the area being sold for millions. It's gonna be Maroko all over. Government of the elite for the elite lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by joelala(m): 4:28pm On Jul 19, 2012
5m fire! did u skip this part when reading? "Oniru said there was no plan by the government to resettle the displaced persons"
Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jul 19, 2012
People should stop expanding slum in Lagos. It is not necessarily important that everybody must live in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by Biggyd2: 4:40pm On Jul 19, 2012
We all agree that it is not safe for these people to have lived in those shanties all these years. However, what we want to know is what alternatives were made available for them. Has the government built low cost houses and encouraged them to buy and they refused? Didn't the government in power solicit for and these people in turn voted them in? Why were their votes not rejected then? Furthermore, this idea of this government telling people that if that they don't want to stay in Lagos, they should leave the state, is really funny sha. Have they posed a threat to anyone but themselves? I thought we were talking of one Nigeria. People need to wake up. Many of these people now rendered homeless don't even know the road to their fathers villages anymore. All fingers are not equal. The government should relocate those people to a safer place. The government would not want these people to turn into armed robbers as well and resort to attacking the rich, would they?

And only time will tell if the Makoko place will not be sand filled very soon and sold off as "(choose a name) Waterfront Estate)" to the rich. As we know the estate that sprung up, not too long ago, close to the Makoko area, seems to be thriving very well. And, you think about it, do you think a bigman will ever feel comfortable knowing that the poor lives close to him in such large number? Na beg I beg Lagos to look into dis mata.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by amaba: 4:42pm On Jul 19, 2012
ACN ACN ACN...Darty dat wants to rue nigeria. demolishing a place with 72hrs notification and no resettlement plan?
If it is PDP dey will open their running mouth especially the chairman to rubbish GEJ.
HYPOCRITES...
Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by gistme24(m): 4:47pm On Jul 19, 2012
I actually saw this story on Channels' News Big story some Months ago,where their community head said vacating is not the problem, but an alternative should be provided. But I ask why? They broke the law to be there in the first place.
Another shanty is springing up at Oworonshoki, close to the ferry jetty. The omo oni iles filled the lagoon front with refuse,encouraged the cart pushers to come dump refuse there, and sold off plots of "water" to people to erect their houses. Hence, the water side I used to go and relax with my pals on weekends,and seduce babes wink,has been turned into a stinking mess,you can't even stand close to the water,let alone eat fish caugth from it.
Let's do thigns right, they simply had to go.
Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by Ellashow: 5:29pm On Jul 19, 2012
They may b Nigerians but illegally occupy dat place, they should go back 2 where they comes from aftall they didn't fall from heaven. No settlement should b given because it's our tax payers' money since they didn't acquire dat place from d government initially...they should all go back 2 Badagry or Ilaje where they initially comes from. I support d govt 100%
Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by emsquare(m): 6:44pm On Jul 19, 2012
ebamma: wetin come concern us,abi we get fishermen or slum dwellers for nairaland?

LOL!
Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jul 19, 2012
Government should stop using secondary reasons to defend the truth. Tell them the primary reason is we do not want shanties in the City of Excellence. They should go back to Togo, where they came from. Full Stop.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by marvel10: 9:25pm On Jul 19, 2012
I am pleased about the regeneration drive Fashola is on but I am concerned about only providing 72 hours notice to settlers. It is not up to the government to resettle those who dwell on the Lagoon in comparison to victims of cowboy government acquisition from Omoniles in Magodo or Lekki.

Fashola sometimes comes across like a modern day dictator as opposed to a democrat that he ought to be.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jul 19, 2012
Billyonaire: Government should stop using secondary reasons to defend the truth. Tell them the primary reason is we do not want shanties in the City of Excellence. They should go back to Togo, where they came from. Full Stop.

KPOM!!!

I don't even know why they're bothering to give reasons. Let the residents go to Lome and build their shacks on the sea there, afterall they also border the Atlantic.
Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by Murphy7h4: 1:19am On Jul 20, 2012
Good point
Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by Nobody: 6:45am On Jul 20, 2012
Well that's good enough. Want to test this < a href="http://www.yahoomail.com"> yahoomail </a>
Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by four4: 7:32am On Jul 20, 2012
Elueme: These residents are human beings and should be treated with humane.. I don't have problem with demolishing the shanties but the way and manner you do such matters.. It is now they know the residents are living there illegally, what defines legality of place of abode?these people have been living there for ages, living a peasant life with fish farming why just oppressed them just because you have an ulterior motive with the coastland? This is becoming a common trend with ACN govt Edo inclusive.. PDP led govt will never attempt such and if they do this so called democrats will blow the roof off it... I think they should have a rethink on this
I ve you ask them in PDP contol state like PH or kwara or delta state, then you will know that it cut across all political parties
Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by aytuns(m): 9:43am On Jul 20, 2012
Ellashow: They may b Nigerians but illegally occupy dat place, they should go back 2 where they comes from aftall they didn't fall from heaven. No settlement should b given because it's our tax payers' money since they didn't acquire dat place from d government initially...they should all go back 2 Badagry or Ilaje where they initially comes from. I support d govt 100%
Ellashow: They may b Nigerians but illegally occupy dat place, they should go back 2 where they comes from aftall they didn't fall from heaven. No settlement should b given because it's our tax payers' money since they didn't acquire dat place from d government initially...they should all go back 2 Badagry or Ilaje where they initially comes from. I support d govt 100%
imagine yourself in their condition, and let me see if you'll still say this trash.. Why are people so inhumane??

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by trustidkid: 1:29pm On Jul 20, 2012
Elueme: These residents are human beings and should be treated with humane.. I don't have problem with demolishing the shanties but the way and manner you do such matters.. It is now they know the residents are living there illegally, what defines legality of place of abode?these people have been living there for ages, living a peasant life with fish farming why just oppressed them just because you have an ulterior motive with the coastland? This is becoming a common trend with ACN govt Edo inclusive.. PDP led govt will never attempt such and if they do this so called democrats will blow the roof off it... I think they should have a rethink on this

the truth has to be said people needs to relocated away from that shanty area. If you have ever visited the area, you will truly feel sorry for the residents.
Re: Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition by Kajiang02(m): 5:44pm On Jul 20, 2012
At times i wonder how Inhuman we all could become. In doing the right thing, some people must suffer. But it hurts more when proper steps are not taken to avert to the max the level of suffering.
El-Rufai will still tell the level of insults he receives from people he made homeless through legit and illegal means.

The initiators of this demolitions should have known better, Imagine if the 1000 peoples rendered homeless now turn into Hooligans to harass the same people who deprived them of their means of having a place to rest their head.

72hours without a remedy isnt just the case. Irrespective of the fact that they live there illegally or otherwise.

(1) (Reply)

Lawmaker Charged For Allegedly Forging An Election Result Sheet / Examining Lagos's GDP Figures / Modification Process

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.