Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,398 members, 7,781,144 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:41 AM

Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) (3478 Views)

An Interview On Uthman Dan Fodio / The Challenges Of Igbo Muslims / Any Igbo Muslim In The House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by Nobody: 11:26am On Jul 21, 2012
Sheikh Uthman Anaga, formerly Sylvanus Anaga, is one of the leading Igbo Muslim scholars from Ebonyi State. Sheikh Anaga says lack of adequate propagation and enlightenment are the main factors militating against the spraed of Islam in eastern part of Nigeria. Excerpts:

Tell us a little about yourself.

I was born in Afikpo in Ebonyi State. I became a Muslim in 1972, but left the eastern region in 1973 in search of education. I didn’t return to Igbo land on permanent basis until last year, 2011, but I am not staying in Abakaliki. Before I left this part of the country (north), I was the Provost of the Jama’atu College of Education, Kaduna.

How old were you when you became a Muslim?

I was 13 years old when I converted to Islam. Islam has its way of taking somebody. I am aware that many people converted to Islam after they had listened to preachings, but my own case was different, because I saw it in a dream. At a time when I was sleeping, I heard a loud noise coming from outside my room. When I went out to see what was happening, I saw many people lined up. When those people saw me, they asked me to come. When I joined them, we all bowed in sujud (prostration).

After some days, I heard the same voice again in a dream. So, I went out, but this time around what I saw was white people who told me that I should join them without any waste of time. We made the same sujud. On the third occasion, when I went out, I saw some people performing ablution and I joined them. That was where I learnt how to perform ablution, because the people taught me.

When I told two very close friends of mine, Ignatius queried whether I want to become a Muslim while Hassan accepted to be a Muslim with me because of what I saw in my dream.

After some months, we went to Nsukka to meet one Ibrahim Idah to learn about the religion. He is also an Igbo man who converted to Islam before us, but he was not all that knowledgeable. It was there that we met some Hausas. After asking us how we became Muslims, they administered the Kalamatu Shahada (testifying the oneness of Allah) for us.

In the middle of 1973, we went about telling people that we are Muslims, friend of mine and myself, Muhammad Ologo. In the course of that, we came across a pamphlet by an Islamic missionary in Ilorin. We wrote a letter to them and they asked us to meet them in Ife. That was how we started learning the Islamic jurisprudence. In 1974, I got admission to read Islamic Theology at the Islamic Education Trust, Sokoto. When I graduated in 1975, I started working with the JNI as a preacher. I did my Grade II at the Kaduna Teachers’ College but still working with the JNI. That was how I picked up in learning the Islamic Jurisprudence.

In 1984, I got admission at King Sa’ud University in Riyad, Saudi Arabia where I did my BA in Islamic Studies. When I came back, I was taken to the Jama’atu Institute for Arabic and Islamic Studies where I was given the duty of reviving it. I was made Vice Principal and later became the Principal. In 1996, it was upgraded to College of Education and I was made the Ag Provost. That was how I did my masters and now I am pursuing my PhD.

Were you with your parents when you became a Muslim, if so, what was their reaction?

Yes, I was with my mother because my father was already late then. One interesting thing was how I resisted all the pressures from the community, and because of that, my mother became a Muslim and died one year after. That was how I left my home to search for knowledge, because at that time I don’t know how to worship God. I just used to be making sujud while people gather around to be looking at me as a mad man.

What can you say are the challenges of Igbo Muslims?

In fact, I thank God; because when I went home recently, it was not like the time we converted to Islam where we were very few. Now, things are changing as we have many Igbos who are Muslims now. Another interesting thing is how some state governments in the east are now recognising the presence of Muslims in their states.

Despite all that, Igbo Muslims are still considered as disgrace to their families. This is one major challenge. If state governments of the east intend to help Islam and Muslims, they are forced to back out, because of pressure from the church and the people. There was a time Muslims went to pay Sallah visit to Governor Martins Elechi and he promised to build an Islamic school for the in Afikpo. People, including the churches, rose up to say that he is trying to Islamise the state. This is to tell you how serious the challenge is.

Muslim Igbos are not allowed to work in the services of their various states. In Ebonyi, I know of only four Muslims who are working with the state government. In fact, one of them converted to Islam when he was working. The perception is that if you are an Igbo man and you decide to become a Muslim, then you are not a normal human being.

In the schools, there is no provision for Islamic Studies. Every student is made to study Christian Religious Knowledge. Even in our universities, there are no departments for Islamic studies. I think it is only in Port-Harcourt that we have Department of Islamic Studies in the whole of south east and south south.

What efforts are you making to change the trend?

If people are use to something for many years, it would take time before you can bring change. The first effort we are making is bringing ourselves together. This would enable us to determine our present situation, the future of our children and everything about us as Muslims. We are not terrorists; we are not extremists; we are only Muslims who preferred Islam as a way of life. We are followers of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), that is why we are not fighting. We are gradually demanding for our rights. We are saying that it is not mandatory that every Igbo man must be a Christian. We know there are non-Christians among the Igbo who are not Muslims. I want the Igbo people to borrow from the Yoruba who tolerate one another despite differences in religion, because everyone would be accountable for his own deed before God. We feel that this situation can change if we are given airtime on both the radio and television for people to hear what Islam is all about. Muslim organisations like the JNI should propagate Islam in the east through sponsoring preaching and publications in the form of books and pamphlets. This perception of Islam in the east came about largely due to inadequate publicity and awareness campaigns. Therefore, the JNI, northern emirs and other well-to-do Muslims should do more in this regard.

http://weeklytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9980:igbo-muslims-are-facing-challenges-&catid=41:news&Itemid=30

3 Likes

Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by abolore80(m): 4:02pm On Jul 21, 2012
May Allah continue to streghten you and help you to actualise your dream of having more muslim ummahs' in the eastern state

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by Nobody: 10:08pm On Aug 23, 2013
They feel any Igbo that is muslim is mad and will not be offered job opportunity in his or her state........... Wow and these same lots will cry about injustice, what is that called?

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by AbdH: 2:31pm On Aug 25, 2013
We see why that Muslim girl prefers to stay in the Nupe king's palace to staying in her father's house. May Allah strenghten all Muslims around the world suffering the same thing.

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by vedaxcool(m): 10:37pm On Aug 25, 2013
Please front page!!!

1 Like

Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by Samdul: 11:10am On Aug 28, 2013
served in the east,igbos muslims over there have many challenges,1st dy r seen as non igbos becos dy r muslims,in d state civil service dy r nt given sensitive positions,dy fustrate dem wen seeking addmission in their tetiary institutions,u even hear some igbos say "its a abomination to be an muslim".ebonyi state in afikpo LG dia is an islamic center(its a sch:pri nd sec) in enohia,through dt sch many igbos in dt community r muslims,i onces pass a night dia and a brother who is a teacher told me he will prefer coming down to the north for his studies as he has applied several times to gain addmmission to EBSU bt he was refused even wt full requirements.so much discrimination frm dia brothers,we muslims from other part of d country r accomodated than them in d society.

3 Likes

Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by Nobody: 8:05am On Aug 29, 2013
I think many of us underestimate the number of Igbo muslims. Personally,I have lost count of the number of Igbo muslims I have met over the years, I have many of them as friends on facebook, One was my Arabic teacher in Abuja (He studied in Saudi Arabia) He later joined the Nigerian Army. Another one presents an Islamic programme on NTA Owerri etc. The east is gradually turning to Islam in shaa Allah.

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by AbdH: 9:39am On Aug 29, 2013
abubello: I think many of us underestimate the number of Igbo muslims. Personally,I have lost count of the number of Igbo muslims I have met over the years, I have many of them as friends on facebook, One was my Arabic teacher in Abuja (He studied in Saudi Arabia) He later joined the Nigerian Army. Another one presents an Islamic programme on NTA Owerri etc. The east is gradually turning to Islam.
Good to know but I must confess that I have not met one before. The closest I have been to any was when I watched him speak on the TV.
Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by khattab02: 1:07pm On Aug 29, 2013
Allah has already promised to make the deen prevail above all 'ism' Al-qur'an 48:28 similar message in 9:33 and 61:9. There is virulent propagander against Islam by the international media, our duty is to clear and clarify such misconceptions.

1 Like

Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by Nobody: 1:59pm On Aug 29, 2013
abubello: I think many of us underestimate the number of Igbo muslims. Personally,I have lost count of the number of Igbo muslims I have met over the years, I have many of them as friends on facebook, One was my Arabic teacher in Abuja (He studied in Saudi Arabia) He later joined the Nigerian Army. Another one presents an Islamic programme on NTA Owerri etc. The east is gradually turning to Islam.

Liar! Liar! Pants on fire! In all my adolescent years in Nigeria, how come I never met an Igbo Muslim? I'm not denying that they exist, cuz they do(no tribe or race is 100% one religion), rather they are very few compared to the rest of the dominant indigenous Christian population.

Saying that the east is gradually turning to Islam is tantamount to saying that the North is gradually turning to Christianity - an impossibility. Probably when Pigs will sprout wings and become air-borne.

I'm Yoruba btw, and my only tie to the east is through my maternal grandmother who is from Anambra, so I'm not being bias or anything, merely allergic to B.S.

6 Likes

Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by vedaxcool(m): 2:06pm On Aug 29, 2013
FrostyZonn:

Liar! Liar! Pants on fire! In all my adolescent years in Nigeria, how come I never met an Igbo Muslim? I'm not denying that they exist, cuz they do(no tribe or race is 100% one religion), rather they are very few compared to the rest of the dominant indigenous Christian population.

Saying that the east is gradually turning to Islam is tantamount to saying that the North is gradually turning to Christianity - an impossibility.

I'm Yoruba btw, and my only tie to the east is through my maternal grandmother who is from Anambra, so I'm not being bias or anything, merely allergic to B.S.

You know he is lying how? Do you follow him around to know people he has met? Smh, is there some sort of phobia you suffer from? shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by Nobody: 2:07pm On Aug 29, 2013
And please don't quote me. I'm not here for senseless argument, just attempting to set the record straight, that's all.

*Passing through*
Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 29, 2013
Oops! Guessed someone already did...

Oh well, who cares...
Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by vedaxcool(m): 2:10pm On Aug 29, 2013
FrostyZonn: And please don't quote me. I'm not here for senseless argument, just attempting to set the record straight

*Passing through*

I have quote you, what would you do? your claim that shiver of senselessness yet you expect that your words won't be called to account, the question remains how do you know that he is lying? do you follow him around to know people he has met? smh shocked shocked shocked shocked

3 Likes

Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by vedaxcool(m): 2:13pm On Aug 29, 2013
FrostyZonn: Oops. Guessed someone already did...

Oh well, who cares...

C.O.W.A.R.D.I.C.E

As a label, "cowardice" indicates a failure of character in the face of a challenge.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowardice

1 Like

Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by mazaje(m): 9:59pm On Sep 02, 2013
I personally do not know or undrstand why muslims love claiming the victim card when they do WORSE all of the time. . .I am a Hausa man from Kano, when my mum converted back to christianity her original religion, death was what we were threatened with, we had to run from Kano to Benue state. . .

My relatives in kano served ties with us completely at that time, they only deal with us now because we are very rich and they just come around looking for something from us because Nigerians only worship money, that is the only god they know. Their parents send their kids to us because they can't confront my mum after they all treated her badly with threats of violence and death, they are so surprised how she turned out better than all of them . . if we were poor non of them will ever come around us. . .Go to the north and see what is happening in the majority muslims states. . .Hausa people that are non muslims are an anathema. . .Every body hastes them. . .I know a guy whose name is Abdallah but they call him John because he is a charistian, they refuse to call him by his real name. . .All Christians are called "arna" a derogatory term that means infidels. They can't even call them christians . .How many hausa christians from Zamfara state, Jigawa or Kano state enjoy anything from their states?. . .I know students that had to leave their university education because they were told to either revert to islam or they will never graduate because they converted to christianity, many have been chased away and threatened with death. . It is a common occurrence in the north. . .

When people leave islam they always have to run away for fear of been attacked, yet muslims are here spewing ridiculous talk and patting each other on the back. . .I am a living witness, we had to run away from Kano when we converted to Christianity. . .Muslims should stop claiming they are victims when they do worse ALL of the time. . .Enough!

10 Likes

Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by Nobody: 11:57pm On Sep 02, 2013
you are so ridiculous. does it make sense to you blaming non hausa or non northern nigerian muslims for the ridiculous 'fault' you find in the northern mindset? you think the behaviors of the northern muslims are as a result of islam and the southern muslims are the a normally?

in all your conversation with yourself above, did you notice that you didnt reject the very hausa culture which i think is responsible for the harshness instead of the softness islam expects from muslims?

please spare me your sad song. its boring because you need to tell the north to change and fall in line with islam by not killing people indiscriminately, like if every muslim from there is ignorant or deliberately 'fundamentalist', a term that is anti islam, while even discriminate against fellow muslims just because of tribal difference.

in the Quran Allah says 'those who disbelieve after believing, . . . .' repeating this process 3 times until He says the indecision will not be accepted from them because its all a joke. Allah says no compulsion in religion. and i believe it in the same way you can not force the heart of anyone to love, religion is heart and soul matter which makes religion harder to coast anyone into.

if you hate islam, you have to hate hausa your tribe first because thats the root of your difficulty. i live with non muslims and those who are non muslims in my life, i am not running them out of town to the bush. no sir. i am trying to show kindness and perchance before they die, they may see goodness in me and realize it is Islam that has transformed me so much that they notice that special thing that they see.

you remind me of robert spencer the armenian who should be angry with the turks, but he is pouncing on islam instead. arent you an atheist? does your mother know you are fooling her, already or you are hinding it, milking her out of naira and swedish money?

4 Likes

Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by Samdul: 7:20am On Sep 03, 2013
mazaje: I personally do not know or undrstand why muslims love claiming the victim card when they do WORSE all of the time. . .I am a Hausa man from Kano, when my mum converted back to christianity her original religion, death was what we were threatened with, we had to run from Kano to Benue state. . .

My relatives in kano served ties with us completely at that time, they only deal with us now because we are very rich and they just come around looking for something from us because Nigerians only worship money, that is the only god they know. Their parents send their kids to us because they can't confront my mum after they all treated her badly with threats of violence and death, they are so surprised how she turned out better than all of them . . if we were poor non of them will ever come around us. . .Go to the north and see what is happening in the majority muslims states. . .Hausa people that are muslims are an anathema. . .Every body hastes them. . .I know a guy whose name is Abdallah but they call him John because he is a charistian, they refuse to call him by his real name. . .All Christians are called "arna" a derogatory term that means infidels. They can't even call them christians . .How many hausa christians from Zamfara state, Jigawa or Kano state enjoy anything from their states?. . .I know students that had to leave their university education because they were told to either revert to islam or they will never graduate because they converted to christianity, many have been chased away and threatened with death. . It is a common occurrence in the north. . .

When people leave islam they always have to run away for fear of been attacked, yet muslims are here spewing ridiculous talk and patting each other on the back. . .I am a living witness, we had to run away from Kano when we converted to Christianity. . .Muslims should stop claiming they are victims when they do worse ALL of the time. . .Enough!

hate ur hausa brothers that chased u out of kano,not islam.dnt knw how bt u seem not to see anything good in hausa because dy caused u pain as a child,and u ve not been able to grown pass it."

1 Like

Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by vedaxcool(m): 9:09am On Sep 03, 2013
You people shouldn't give simple mazaje the chance to derail this thread, at-least nobody prevented him from opening a thread to explain his own issues, this thread is about challenges facing igbo muslims and not hausa atheist or christians.

Remember;

1. The Islamophobe likes to speak on behalf of Muslims, and appoints himself judge, jury, and even executioner.

5. Many Islamophobes desperately want to be engaged, because such engagement promises credibility. But before the debate begins, they dismiss the terms around which it might be structured. You cannot productively engage someone whose mind is already made up.

https://www.nairaland.com/1264396/8-telling-signs-suffer-islamophobia
Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by vedaxcool(m): 9:10am On Sep 03, 2013
Samdul:

hate ur hausa brothers that chased u out of kano,not islam.dnt knw how bt u seem not to see anything good in hausa because dy caused u pain as a child,and u ve not been able to grown pass it."

How do we even know his claims are true?
Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by Nobody: 1:19pm On Sep 03, 2013
so just because the northern muslims are treating the non muslims of their blood badly, the igbo christian who generally hates the north with a passion should treat igbo muslims the way of the north is your argument here. the igbo muslims should not complain is what you are saying?

while i am thinking that if you hate the action of a man, you should not yourself pick up the tradition, igbos are doing just that against their own brothers based on islam. at least islam should be better than okija juju which in all accounts is treated better than the muslims. as bad as the actions of the muslim north is, they are at least open with you. pretense of all is okay in igbo is what i think you fail to grasp. if the pogrom of 1966/7 were to be taking place now, it may be possible that the general igbo attitude is to shot the door on the face of igbo muslim and that would be worse.

why should the igbo copy what is bad from the north is the bigger question.

1 Like

Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by deols(f): 1:55pm On Sep 04, 2013
@mazaje, do two wrongs make a right?

If you loathe hausas so much for the said act, would it be right for Igbo Muslims to start to hate their fellow Igbos for the same reasons?
Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by OgaBuhari: 11:43am On Dec 06, 2019
abolore80:
May Allah continue to streghten you and help you to actualise your dream of having more muslim ummahs' in the eastern state
lol this comment go pain some people ehn.

cc Patrioticman007 OfficialAPCNig ezenwajosh
Re: Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) by OgaBuhari: 11:45am On Dec 06, 2019
I think many of us underestimate the number of Igbo muslims. Personally,I have lost count of the number of Igbo muslims I have met over the years, I have many of them as friends on facebook, One was my Arabic teacher in Abuja (He studied in Saudi Arabia) He later joined the Nigerian Army. Another one presents an Islamic programme on NTA Owerri etc. The east is gradually turning to Islam in shaa Allah.
cc idonhammer

(1) (Reply)

Iftar: Breaking Of Ramadan Fast / Strength During Times Of Hardship / Since Muhammad Was A Warner And A Guide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.