Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:20 PM

JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms (5607 Views)

Fuel Scarcity Looms As NNPC Depots Run Dry / NUPENG Threatens Strike If Petroleum Industrial Bill Isn't Passed Into Law / PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Rivers Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by mukina2: 12:58pm On Jul 21, 2012
The Jetty and Petroleum Tank Farm Owners of Nigeria (JEPTFON), representing fuel importers, said yesterday it would shut down jetties and depots from July 23 if the government did not pay outstanding gasoline subsidy payments, which are a massive drain on the country.

President Goodluck Jonathan tried to end fuel subsidies on January 1, prompting more than a week of strikes and protests after the petrol price more than doubled. Jonathan ended the strikes by partially reinstating the subsidy.

The Finance Ministry said on June 20 it had cleared all outstanding subsidy payments following a pause to carry out a probe into the fuel marketers. The ministry was not available for comment on Friday.

The Minister of State for Finance said in June Nigeria only had N370 billion ($2.29 billion) left to pay subsidies, out of the 888 billion in the 2012 budget.

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has said the subsidy budget will run out well before the end of the year, which means they will need to raid savings to pay for it. Powerful state governors have said they will take the federal government to court for what they call “illegal” over-budget subsidy payments.

The fuel importers’ union, according to Reuters, said the government’s non-payment of fuel subsidies was a breach of contract.

“Until the above demands are met, the association has no option but to shut down its operations nationwide and suspend workers with effect from July 23,” a JEPTFON statement said.

A strike by JEPTFON staff and shut down of its operations could result in fuel shortages because Nigeria relies on imports for most of its gasoline and diesel needs.

Fuel marketers said on July 2 they might stop importing fuel into Africa’s most populous nation for the third quarter of the year due to outstanding subsidy payments of N200 billion .

A parliamentary probe into the subsidy scheme in April found it was riddled with fraud that had cost Nigeria $6.8 billion in just three years - equal to a quarter of the national budget. It was one of the biggest corruption scandals in the history of Africa’s top energy producer.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/54628-fuel-scarcity-looms-as-importers%E2%80%99-union-threatens-strike.html
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by OLAJOMO(m): 1:22pm On Jul 21, 2012
Another bad news in Naija.
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by MayorOgwo(m): 1:30pm On Jul 21, 2012
I think it's high time we accepted the subsidy removal so as to suffer once and enjoy later, removal of oil subsidy is the answer to such a looming chaos...
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by 50pips: 1:30pm On Jul 21, 2012
is no longer news embarassed embarassed
OLAJOMO: Another bad news in Naija.
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jul 21, 2012
The hand work of otedola
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by santuse: 1:39pm On Jul 21, 2012
I thought by now, at least one of the refinaries would have been working to full capacity with the SURE-P according to GEJ.
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by tonyx4x44(m): 1:40pm On Jul 21, 2012
bennyraz: The hand work of otedola
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by tonyx4x44(m): 1:41pm On Jul 21, 2012
bennyraz: The hand work of otedola
lol
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by Kenneth205(m): 1:48pm On Jul 21, 2012
K
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by femi4: 1:51pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mayor Ogwo: I think it's high time we accepted the subsidy removal so as to suffer once and enjoy later, removal of oil subsidy is the answer to such a looming chaos...
That can never be the solution, cos it will not repair bad roads, improve power supply etc. We can never enjoy later with or without subsidy removal when the leaders in charge of our resources are criminals

1 Like

Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 21, 2012
Why are you people complaining ? When we said Subsidy should be stopped, the uninformed went into the streets and protested, now the cycle continues. Subsidy has to be stopped for us to make any headway as a country. Make i shut-up sef before I get insulted my morons.
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by jpphilips(m): 2:14pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mayor Ogwo: I think it's high time we accepted the subsidy removal so as to suffer once and enjoy later, removal of oil subsidy is the answer to such a looming chaos...

so that the inept jonathan's administration wouldn't bother on corruption again abi? all contracts should be suspended because of course, corruption will creep in abi, in fact scrap Nigeria or better still contract it to Niger republic, and what happens to standing up to the monster called corruption?

next time borrow a brain before you post
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by jpphilips(m): 2:17pm On Jul 21, 2012
Billyonaire: Why are you people complaining ? When we said Subsidy should be stopped, the uninformed went into the streets and protested, now the cycle continues. Subsidy has to be stopped for us to make any headway as a country. Make i shut-up sef before I get insulted my morons.

you remove subsidy then what? Jonathan will become a genius or madueke will become a pastor? why is common sense a luxury in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by dedeike: 2:33pm On Jul 21, 2012
The end is yet in sight over this subsidy wahala. I have always maintained that the NLC misled us in January over that subsidy issue. Now we are in a motion without movement. Still struggling to probe and pay subsidy too. The more we set up probes to cure the corruption, the more we end up perpetrating corruption. I subscribe to the preventive measure of withdrawing subsidy so that these cabal, probe panels, PPPRA, NNPC, customs will have nothing to feast on.
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by lookmangiw(m): 2:56pm On Jul 21, 2012
Honestly speaking, i dont want subsidy payment on PMS. I dont want any government to be paying for my gasoline useage but the problem i have is the sincerity of this criminals we called government towards this policy. The subsidy was partially removed, 141- 97=#34*37million daily consumption, what has happened to that savings since january? The capital expenditure could hardly get to 15% implementation. Is this the same folks will entrust full removal of subsidy upon? This people are not ready to do anything, the price of diesel have never go down since it was deregulated those it mean that the price did not at a time drop at the international market. In conclusion, since i cant trust this government,then i can never support the removal of fuel subsidy.

1 Like

Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by lookmangiw(m): 2:59pm On Jul 21, 2012
Billyonaire: Why are you people complaining ? When we said Subsidy should be stopped, the uninformed went into the streets and protested, now the cycle continues. Subsidy has to be stopped for us to make any headway as a country. Make i shut-up sef before I get insulted my morons.
are they not justified now, big slowpoke. Any impact on the lifes of the citizenry with the savings they ought to have made with the partial removal of the fuel subsidy. Keep selling your birthright for a plate of pottage.
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by dedeike: 3:03pm On Jul 21, 2012
jp philips:

you remove subsidy then what? Jonathan will become a genius or madueke will become a pastor? why is common sense a luxury in Nigeria?

You re the one who lacks common sense. Fuel subsidy regime is a bane to our development.
First, the idea of using almost one quarter of your national budget to subsidize one single commodity is fundamentally faulty. No economy thrives under that kind of arrangement.

Secondly, it is difficult, given our bad public sector attitude, to use NNPC to build and manage more refineries. We have tried it severally in the past and it ain't working. Successive govts in Nigeria have wasted trillions of Naira in turn around maintenance. It's more lucrative for a govt that wants to corruptly enrich itself to award more contracts fr such turn around maintenance and benefit massively from it. But who manages the refineries afterwards? NNPC?

Thirdly, we need private sector investments in refineries. And for you to achieve this, you need to discourage importation. And for you to discourage importation, you have to remove subsidy so that importation will be less attractive.
No private sector investor will be willing to invest in a sector where prices are fixed by govt.
No private sector investor will take the pains to undertake the long term projects of constructing refineries where his competitors are making quick money from importing PMS and collecting subsidy claims.
So we find ourselves in a fix. No progress. No movement.

2 Likes

Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jul 21, 2012
duly noted
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by lacasa: 3:09pm On Jul 21, 2012
femi4: That can never be the solution, cos it will not repair bad roads, improve power supply etc. We can never enjoy later with or without subsidy removal when the leaders in charge of our resources are criminals

Gbam!
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by lacasa: 3:11pm On Jul 21, 2012
The most useless govt in the history of mankind

Fresh air morons angry

E no go eva better 4 dem & dia cohorts
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jul 21, 2012
grin ;Dmy pipl i will advice dat all of u residin in 9ja shd go and purchase bicycle o, such storiz emanatin 4rmhome mekz uz sick hia in USA O undecided
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by jude33084(m): 3:16pm On Jul 21, 2012
undecided Serious country lipsrsealed
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by jude33084(m): 3:18pm On Jul 21, 2012
grin let's laugh alittle wink

Jonathan: I wonder what's going on next door.
Patience: It's a birthday party!
Jonathan: Whose birthday party is it?
Patience: I'm sure it's Tuyu's birthday.
Jonathan: How did you know?
Patience: I heard them singing ''Happy Birthday Tuyu!!! grin grin
cool

2 Likes

Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by TrueNaijaguy: 3:20pm On Jul 21, 2012
I believe most people mistook subsidy removal for a mere fuel price increase. The lack of trust for the previous governments blinded our vision and here we are again. All the explanations given by the government were rebuffed because we didn't believe they will work.

It's now clear that it would have been better the whole subsidy was removed or status quo would have been maintained instead of this middle point we find ourselves in now. Anyways I believe the delay in payment might have been due to the due process mechanism that has been effected to curb leakages.

I believe that the full repair of the existing refineries starting in October coupled with the two from the foreign firms that will be coming on board soon will bring an end to this subsidy payment so the we the masses will benefit from it. #longlivenaija
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by Lisa1: 3:27pm On Jul 21, 2012
Well
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by dedeike: 3:30pm On Jul 21, 2012
lookmangiw: Honestly speaking, i dont want subsidy payment on PMS. I dont want any government to be paying for my gasoline useage but the problem i have is the sincerity of this criminals we called government towards this policy. The subsidy was partially removed, 141- 97=#34*37million daily consumption, what has happened to that savings since january? The capital expenditure could hardly get to 15% implementation. Is this the same folks will entrust full removal of subsidy upon? This people are not ready to do anything, the price of diesel have never go down since it was deregulated those it mean that the price did not at a time drop at the international market. In conclusion, since i cant trust this government,then i can never support the removal of fuel subsidy.

I agree with you to the extent that the govt, inclusive of our public service structure, cannot maximally re invest the proceeds of subsidy removal. The last time I checked, the SURE programme was only linked to the new funding of the stalled ABUJA- Lokoja road. There are challenges. The corruption in the subsidy regime has not allowed for a proper evaluation of the real proceeds acccruable to SURE.
Take for instance, it is claimed that as at June, only about 340 billion was left out of the 888 billion earmarked for subsidy this 2012. In other words, more funds will be needed to to pay subsidy claims. If this is the case, then the SURE projects will be threatened.

However, I must continue to say that the real benefits of subsidy removal does not lie in the re investment argument. It has to do more with the long term overriding benefits of creating the enabling environment for private sector investments in refineries.

Without subsidy removal, no licensed refinery owner will install a pin on site. It's risky. Unprofitable and costly to do so.

I cannot go to site to invest billions of dollars, settle host communities, lay infrastructure, contend with my local power generation, recruit workers and engage labour while my rivals just sit in the confines of their cosy offices to place orders for PMS and collect inflated subsidy claims after delivery.

I cannot also go the whole hog to set up refinery in 2 years and wait for govt to tell me the price I should sell it. No market functions that way. Prices are cost reflective and fluctuates according to the market forces of demand and supply.

It's simple logic.
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jul 21, 2012
lookmangiw: are they not justified now, big slowpoke. Any impact on the lifes of the citizenry with the savings they ought to have made with the partial removal of the fuel subsidy. Keep selling your birthright for a plate of pottage.
Shut-up, I didnt sentence you to poverty, when I was studying, you were phucking...stop crying about price of petrol.
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jul 21, 2012
Well well well. . . .
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by Mekusnwa: 3:36pm On Jul 21, 2012
dedeike:

You re the one who lacks common sense. Fuel subsidy regime is a bane to our development.
First, the idea of using almost one quarter of your national budget to subsidize one single commodity is fundamentally faulty. No economy thrives under that kind of arrangement.

Secondly, it is difficult, given our bad public sector attitude, to use NNPC to build and manage more refineries. We have tried it severally in the past and it ain't working. Successive govts in Nigeria have wasted trillions of Naira in turn around maintenance. It's more lucrative for a govt that wants to corruptly enrich itself to award more contracts fr such turn around maintenance and benefit massively from it. But who manages the refineries afterwards? NNPC?

Thirdly, we need private sector investments in refineries. And for you to achieve this, you need to discourage importation. And for you to discourage importation, you have to remove subsidy so that importation will be less attractive.
No private sector investor will be willing to invest in a sector where prices are fixed by govt.
No private sector investor will take the pains to undertake the long term projects of constructing refineries where his competitors are making quick money from importing PMS and collecting subsidy claims.
So we find ourselves in a fix. No progress. No movement.

I love this explanation. It's on point
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by Mandelaguy(m): 3:43pm On Jul 21, 2012
Partial subsidy removal still takes us through those channels of embezzlement ,continuous cycle,and poor development.
1. It will not encourage growth and competition in the oil sector
2. It will not encourage private sector participation
3. It will encourage endless cycles of payment,diversion and sharp practices
4. Morons who misled us will keep presenting themselves as national heroes
5. There will be steady decline in productivity and most of us will keep complaining even when we know the truth

I have never been an advocate for subsidy pamen,and I am happy that mos of my friends that termed me an enem when I was emoved ae wiser now,wiser in the sense ha the scales fell off their eyes when the level of scam and corruption in the name of subsid payment was revealed. Now,are we not going o make a clean break from the monster tha has been breeding evil n ha sector? By now,importation would have been toall a thing of the past,govt will not hae anybody threatening strike or close down,private refineries would have started sprouting all over the nation.....need I say more? A word he say ...........
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mandelaguy: Partial subsidy removal still takes us through those channels of embezzlement ,continuous cycle,and poor development.
1. It will not encourage growth and competition in the oil sector
2. It will not encourage private sector participation
3. It will encourage endless cycles of payment,diversion and sharp practices
4. Morons who misled us will keep presenting themselves as national heroes
5. There will be steady decline in productivity and most of us will keep complaining even when we know the truth

I have never been an advocate for subsidy pamen,and I am happy that mos of my friends that termed me an enem when I was emoved ae wiser now,wiser in the sense ha the scales fell off their eyes when the level of scam and corruption in the name of subsid payment was revealed. Now,are we not going o make a clean break from the monster tha has been breeding evil n ha sector? By now,importation would have been toall a thing of the past,govt will not hae anybody threatening strike or close down,private refineries would have started sprouting all over the nation.....need I say more? A word he say ...........
I realized that almost all the people who canvassed against subsidy removal, either were totally ignorant of the chain effects or were not even aware that there was subsidy on PMS. Now, they blame me for being ignorant. Am I supposed to educate them ? I guess, I will have to continuously define what harm subsidy can do to an economy every day of my life. And thats something I am not prepared to do.
Re: JEPTFON Threatens Strike As Fuel Scarcity Looms by jt2010: 4:17pm On Jul 21, 2012
dedeike:

So we find ourselves i

n a fix. No progress. No movement.

OP, How is Fuel subsidy regime a bane to our development, one fact all of you guys arguing about removal of Fuel subsidy cannot dispute is that it is the only thing that common Nigeria man benefit both directly and indirectly from government, so why removing the only benefit, even the stupid IMF that hinted the idea are been hypocrite with their idea because all developed nations ranging from USA, Canada, UK, Europe etc have a lot of welfare packages and subsidy for their citizen (In Ireland, child benefit for a single child is as much of 400 pounds per month) so in a family of four children, it means government pay 400 x 4 = 1600 pounds x 250 (Naira conversion) = N400,000.00. You also need to remember that school and health care are almost free so why is IMF not telling them to remove such benefits from their citizens. If subsiding fuel will make Nigeria under-developed, please let it be afterall the president is eat cassava bread for 1 Billion naira in a year. grin

Your submission lack any logical sense, you also went ahead to claims that subsidy is about making quick money yet your petroleum Minister and Minister of finance does not know our daily fuel consumptions figure and yet you blame that on the importers of such PMS. If the government is doing its jobs properly, a subsidy which in previous years has always been between 300 to 500 billions will not jump to 1.5 Trillion during the election of Mr. President. lipsrsealed cry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger / Jonathan In France For Summit On Peace And Security In Africa / Former NSA Sambo Dansuki Arrested!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.