Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,824 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:30 AM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (888357 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (431) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by bonysmile: 6:06pm On Jul 22, 2012
luvinhubby: @bonysmile
Check your tie-rod ends, low arm bushings, stabilizer links and bushings. Then do your alignment.
It is recommended you change your timing belt every 3-5 yrs & plugs once a year.
Try changing your shaft hose every 6 months to prevent tear and allow sand into the drive shaft that will grind the shaft and damage it.
Check your tie-rod ends, low arm bushings, stabilizer links and bushings. Then do your alignment.
It is recommended you change your timing belt every 3-5 yrs & plugs once a year.
Try changing your shaft hose every 6 months to prevent tear and allow sand into the drive shaft that will grind the shaft and damage it.
Tnx. Had d tie-rod end n stabilizer links replaced. Have 2 repeat alignment n even balancing severally as well as changing d front discs but d problem persists.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GarbaAudu: 6:09pm On Jul 22, 2012
@numen. Your issue is a clear case of water leakage at high temperatures. No doubt about it. Let them check the radiator, the water hose or the pump itself again. The problem might still be from there.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2012
bonysmile:
Tnx. Had d tie-rod end n stabilizer links replaced. Have 2 repeat alignment n even balancing severally as well as changing d front discs but d problem persists.
Tyres have expiring date, especially tokunbo ones, you have to think of changing your tyres and upper arm also ask your technician to check if your steering damper rubber is still intact.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by vislabraye(m): 6:25pm On Jul 22, 2012
Nice talk. But when water don pass garri, that point when you can't handle it yourself, take it to Honda place. I just got a Honda city car, but I dont know how Honda place charge. Are their charges reasonable? I dey fear road side mechanic O

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by andyanders: 6:26pm On Jul 22, 2012
Honda users should try as much as possible to check their honda joints, connecting rods,gear oil,power steering fluid all the time,and upper arms

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by chucky234(m): 7:20pm On Jul 22, 2012
Billyonaire: Honda is for starters.....Apart from Cross Tour, I dont see any Honda worth driving...
Why go just dey carry your forming enter every thread,you think say that your '98 Pathfinder wey you dey cruise for Lekki roads worth driving abi.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by bonysmile: 7:22pm On Jul 22, 2012
luvinhubby:
Tyres have expiring date, especially tokunbo ones, you have to think of changing your tyres and upper arm.
Tnx once more. My tyres are less than a year old. Infact they are all 2011 tyres. Last check (about 2 months ago) was told dat both upper n lower arms r ok. Dat was when I replaced d tie-rod ends, stabilizer links n front discs. Dis vibration is actually driving me crazy. Cos of my faith in Honda I bought it instead of Camry. My friend who bought Camry same time I bought dis Accord even says 2 me "see I told u". I kno Accord has advantages over Camry n vice-versa but... Tnx all d same.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by osajojo(m): 7:46pm On Jul 22, 2012
My honda consumes more fuel than previously please help
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 7:58pm On Jul 22, 2012
osajojo: My honda consumes more fuel than previously please help
Check if your catalyst converter is still intact. Ask your panel beater to help you do that.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 8:07pm On Jul 22, 2012
bonysmile:
Tnx once more. My tyres are less than a year old. Infact they are all 2011 tyres. Last check (about 2 months ago) was told dat both upper n lower arms r ok. Dat was when I replaced d tie-rod ends, stabilizer links n front discs. Dis vibration is actually driving me crazy. Cos of my faith in Honda I bought it instead of Camry. My friend who bought Camry same time I bought dis Accord even says 2 me "see I told u". I kno Accord has advantages over Camry n vice-versa but... Tnx all d same.
Honda, especially accords, are sweet rides. I own both an accord and a camry and can tell honda has a slight edge. You case is quit unsual and i think you may need to visit a properly equipped auto garage with experienced technician, something may be wrong with your subframe (front beam). And you'll have to take a closer look at your rims.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by bonysmile: 8:34pm On Jul 22, 2012
luvinhubby:
Honda, especially accords, are sweet rides. I own both an accord and a camry and can tell honda has a slight edge. You case is quit unsual and i think you may need to visit a properly equipped auto garage with experienced technician, something may be wrong with your subframe (front beam). And you'll have to take a closer look at your rims.
Tnx a lot. Truly appreciate ur advice n d time u spared replying my concerns. God bless.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by dougivilla(m): 8:46pm On Jul 22, 2012
bonysmile:
Nice tips. Tnx. Can u help with more tips like
1. The steering of my 2008 Accord vibrates esp when my speed gets 2 about 80km/h n above.
2. When is it advised 2 replace timing belt and plugs? I have just above 40k on d trip counter.
Tnx.
check u wheel balance and alignment. I don't know if timing belt can be monitored. 4 plugs, when the get bad, it shows on d engines sound.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by dougivilla(m): 8:51pm On Jul 22, 2012
osajojo: My honda consumes more fuel than previously please help
check plugs, exhaust or engine combustion.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by surveycash(m): 8:54pm On Jul 22, 2012
lacasa: Hello all,

i drive a. 2k5 honda accord, ii αve a problem.

While i'm driving i notice dat after i slow down or wen i want ϯo re-accelerate sometimes, the engine vibrates (shakes) until i lift my foot off the throttle completely, bt wen i put my foot back on the throttle it moves normally.

i thought it was the spark plugs causing this, but i've changed the 4 plugs with new ones but it still does same.

a mechanic said it's probably from the fuel pump.

Any ideas wat it is

My honda babyboy does exactly the same and this increases fuel comsumption. I took it to the mechanic and he removed and clean a sensor below the bottom-left of the engine. That does it for a month only for the problem to resurface....
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ceaser: 9:15pm On Jul 22, 2012
luvinhubby: @yomex
I think u need to change the ATF u are using. Our local ABRO can be used for steering but never for Honda gear box. Try using the Z1 or DW1, u will notice an improvement.
In fact, that ABRO isn't good for gears on any car for that matter. Leave it standing for long enough and you'll see particles sedimented at the bottom. Had to change the auto tranny in my primera twice within a year cos I kept using ABRO as the gear fluid. 'Twas on the second occasion that the Ibo guy selling me the gear adviced me to steer clear of ABRO (good only for power steering) and use TOTAL Dextron (less chances of getting adulterated) instead with the new tranny. 7 months now and it's still working fine.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by surveycash(m): 9:17pm On Jul 22, 2012
Harbb: This is a nice thread.
I have a baby boy. of late it started showing me "maintenance Req'd" on the dashboard. It started with flashing this maintenance req'd until its permanently ON now. When it started, I thought it needed servicing. I did the servicing including checking the plugs and the nozzles, but the indicator won't go off. I hate seeing that indicator. Any hint on what to do next?

Just tried this and it worked for my babyboy

Start with the car off.
Place the key in the ignition in the off position.
Press and hold the Select/Reset dial beneath the speedometer.
While continuing to hold the dial, start the car.
Continue to hold the dial for a few seconds until the light turns off.

Good luck...

3 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ceaser: 9:25pm On Jul 22, 2012
dpresido: Nice thread....Pls I nid tip on my Baby Boy 2000, The steering is a bit stiffed. Used to be flexible than this before. Have topped de transmission fluid and still same. Thanks
The transmission has little or nothing to do with the steering. I hope you meant to say the "power steering fluid" which of course also uses same fluid as the tranny. Usually if well gauged, your steering flexibility should be restored except if there's a leak somewhere which will be indicated by a rapid reduction in the fluid gauge or maybe the power steering pump had gone bad. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by barnaby04(m): 9:30pm On Jul 22, 2012
Hello house, recently i got into a gully pothole dat deployed my babyboy 2 airbags due 2 its effects on d car, does anyone have an idea hw much it will cost 2 fix both in lag?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ceaser: 9:37pm On Jul 22, 2012
lacasa: Hello all,

i drive a. 2k5 honda accord, ii αve a problem.

While i'm driving i notice dat after i slow down or wen i want ϯo re-accelerate sometimes, the engine vibrates (shakes) until i lift my foot off the throttle completely, bt wen i put my foot back on the throttle it moves normally.

i thought it was the spark plugs causing this, but i've changed the 4 plugs with new ones but it still does same.

a mechanic said it's probably from the fuel pump.

Any ideas wat it is
Usually when accelerating from rest, the engine needs rapid and good supply of fuel and air mixture to give that acceleration compared to when you'd already attained a high or constant speed at which the engine simply cruises on the attained momentum and therefore requires little fuel supply at that speed. A bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter or a dirty or dusty air filter might not allow enough fuel-air mixture required to provide the power needed for a rapid acceleration or rapid take-off hence the "jerking" by the engine the moment you floor the pedal. Have your mechanic check out those things with the possibility of having 'em replaced. Our dusty roads in this country usually clogs these filters faster than normal.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ceaser: 9:50pm On Jul 22, 2012
Harbb: This is a nice thread.
I have a baby boy. of late it started showing me "maintenance Req'd" on the dashboard. It started with flashing this maintenance req'd until its permanently ON now. When it started, I thought it needed servicing. I did the servicing including checking the plugs and the nozzles, but the indicator won't go off. I hate seeing that indicator. Any hint on what to do next?
You could get it scanned for probable check engine problems. If error codes are discovered that needs repairs or replacements, it should be addressed. But occasionally, these light might remain on even after the problem's been addressed in which case the errors can somewhat be deleted or reset to make the light go off - I want to safely assume that deleting the unnecessary errors will not interfere with subsequent functioning of the check engine light - I stand ve be corrected.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by iykeG(m): 10:00pm On Jul 22, 2012
@bonysmille Once had a similar problem with my 97 accord. Tell your mechanic to check the steering wheel from inside the car where the gas and brake pedal is. He should tie the connection joint between the steering wheel and the steering box inside the car very well then the vibration will stop. There has been a slack on the blots. This will solve the problem I think. Good Luck

bonysmile:
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Adagba1: 10:01pm On Jul 22, 2012
numen: My Maintenance Tips:

1.) Change Engine Oil every 3000km (I use Mobil)
2.) Use Oando's Dexron II for the Gear Box (Abro will knock your gear) - (already mentioned)
3.) While driving be mindful not to always turn the steering to the last possible angle(helps the shaft)
4.) If you have an open roof, periodically clean the drainage hole to avoid water leaking into the car
5.) Vibrating Sound infront of the car? Check your engine sitting(already mentioned)
6.) Your single pipe radiator which used to work might not be the cause of your current over-heating...Check your water pump!
7.) Your car is not accelerating according to pedal pressure? Timing Belt might be the culprit.

Just my 2cents guys. Hope this helps someone. I luv this thread like I luv my Honda.
thanks a million,this info is for me.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by grimadult(m): 10:20pm On Jul 22, 2012
I currently bought a 1999 acura tl frm automania of nairaland. Bt whn drivin bck to owerri wit it,it started shifting into 2nd gear violently.I tot d transmissin wz faulty or dat d oil needed change. Whn I got to owerri I googled d prblm and registerd on acurazine(a site with registerd acura and honda technicians)dey replied my mail and said my selonoid switch and seloniod pressure pumps were clogged up with dirt and give intructions on hw to get it fixed. Did it and my transmissin shifts so perfect nw.

7 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ayoflyn(m): 10:30pm On Jul 22, 2012
[size=14pt][b]I will continue to thank the first poster for creating this thread,
this was needed for a long while. Pls i beg the members here to help me out, i have used honda bullet before and i loved it so much but had to upgrade a little to baby boy.
The thing that i suffer so much is the drastic change in the fuel consumption that i now bear. The thing is that when i start the car in the morning it starts once and its idles normally for about a minute, then it goes to high and begins to raise and drop from 2 back to 1 up and down like its breathing. I took it to different rewires, they reduced the ignition but the it doesn't pick up and as soon as engage the drive it goes off. it doesn't idle, i am sure thats the source of my fuel going to waste.
Please Please Please Please Please can anyone tell me how to stop this predicament i have been using it like that for almost a year, and i am sure the fuel i wasted would be almost half of what i have bought.
The car is accord babyboy 1998
please help me with your advice.
Thank you.[/b]
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by kingsolve(m): 11:09pm On Jul 22, 2012
Thanks for this thread. Really enlightening.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:15pm On Jul 22, 2012
ayoflyn: [size=14pt]I will continue to thank the first poster for creating this thread,
this was needed for a long while. Pls i beg the members here to help me out, i have used honda bullet before and i loved it so much but had to upgrade a little to baby boy.
The thing that i suffer so much is the drastic change in the fuel consumption that i now bear. The thing is that when i start the car in the mornig it starts once and its idles normally for about a minute, then it goes to high and begins to raise and drop from 2 back to 1 up and down like its breathing. I took it to defferent rewires, they reduce the ignition but the it doesnt pick up. it doesnt idle, i am sure thats the source of my fuel going to waste.
Please Please Please Please Please can anyone tell me how to stop this predicament i have been using it like that for almost a year, and i am sure jthe fuel i wasted would be almost half of what i have bought.
please help me with your advice.
Thank you.
[/size]

what do mean you took it to rewires and reduce the ingnition

they should check the IDLE CONTROL VALVE

which year is your car and what model of honda is it i might your were the control valve is
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by casestudy: 11:40pm On Jul 22, 2012
Hi y'all, I must confess this is a great thread! i'm actually considering going for a honda car but with the volumes of complaints on this thread, I'm officially scared! am I missing something? are honda cars this troublesome? somebody pleeeeease help a brother that is at a crossroad! thanks.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by truth4meal(m): 11:43pm On Jul 22, 2012
I will be so glad if anyone can help me out. I drive a Honda baby boy I changed d gear 3 months ago and after 2 months the gear is bad am contemplating selling d car cos of dis bt I will not if I can get a good gear. I bought d last gear at oyingbo but now I want to buy anoda one bt am scared cos I bought d last gear 150k. Pls if there is anyone dat can sell a gud gear at a gud price(heard the gear price has reduced) I will so appreciate. And thnks I now knw Abro spoilt my 2 gears.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:05am On Jul 23, 2012
truth4meal: I will be so glad if anyone can help me out. I drive a Honda baby boy I changed d gear 3 months ago and after 2 months the gear is bad am contemplating selling d car cos of dis bt I will not if I can get a good gear. I bought d last gear at oyingbo but now I want to buy anoda one bt am scared cos I bought d last gear 150k. Pls if there is anyone dat can sell a gud gear at a gud price(heard the gear price has reduced) I will so appreciate. And thnks I now knw Abro spoilt my 2 gears.

what do you mean by gear ? do you mean gear box?

it is manual or automatic

and what was the problem with gearbox if it is what you mean
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Nobody: 1:30am On Jul 23, 2012
My Dad handed me a car (Honda Accord 04) for mobility since I'd be starting my M.A soon - the old man gave me the entire papers but the custom papers are absent. I brought his attention to it and he told me he misplaced it at his office and doesn't have the time to engage himself in a search for it - so I don't know if there's a way to get new custom papers or if there are papers I could get to make up for the missing documents or anything at all - NLers please help!
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Nobody: 2:03am On Jul 23, 2012
I use honda bulldog. I just change my transmission oil with HOLT transision. I notice my car light flahes at D4 instead of bein permanet

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (431) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.