Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:14 AM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (209) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (888740 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) ... (432) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by easysunny(m): 8:21pm On Oct 23, 2019
Hello house, Should I change my engine oil to the recommended oil - 5w20 now?
I bought the car, Honda pilot and took it to one of the mobile filling station at.Lagos to service the engine as indicated on the dashboard. That was on August this year.
There they convinced me to use mobile 1000 20w-50 even when I told them that it is 5w20 that is written on the engine cover. They said 5w20 is for American weather but in Nigeria this is what everyone is using expect I want to waste my money. And as a novice, I believed them and they used the 20w50 to service it.
But since i started following this forum, I've been reading that it's dangerous to go against the recommended oil. That if one want to have healthy engine, he/she should maintain the car recommended oil.
My question is:
1. Should I flush out the 20w50 oil that is currently in the engine now and change to the 5w20 as recommended? Or wait during the next service to change it? Any danger leaving it as it is now?
2. Where can I get the original 5w20 oil in Lagos and do the services? Also what's the current price? What I sensed later about that mobile filling station is that they didn't have the 5w20 in stock and so they convinced me to use the alternative instead.
Pls I need genuine advice and recommendation.
Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Demrich(m): 6:23pm On Oct 25, 2019
Luvinhubby which brand ... New or used fuel pump is best for 1996 Accord and the price? Your considered advice....
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 9:19pm On Oct 25, 2019
easysunny:
I bought the car, Honda pilot and took it to one of the mobile filling station at.Lagos to service the engine as indicated on the dashboard. That was on August this year.
There they convinced me to use mobile 1000 20w-50 even when I told them that it is 5w20 that is written on the engine cover. They said 5w20 is for American weather but in Nigeria this is what everyone is using expect I want to waste my money. And as a novice, I believed them and they used the 20w50 to service it.
But since i started following this forum, I've been reading that it's dangerous to go against the recommended oil. That if one want to have healthy engine, he/she should maintain the car recommended oil.
My question is:
1. Should I flush out the 20w50 oil that is currently in the engine now and change to the 5w20 as recommended? Or wait during the next service to change it? Any danger leaving it as it is now?
2. Where can I get the original 5w20 oil in Lagos and do the services? Also what's the current price? What I sensed later about that mobile filling station is that they didn't have the 5w20 in stock and so they convinced me to use the alternative instead.
Thanks

Drain and replace

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 9:35pm On Oct 25, 2019
Demrich:
Luvinhubby which brand ... New or used fuel pump is best for 1996 Accord and the price? Your considered advice....

Good new one

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 9:37pm On Oct 25, 2019
easysunny:
My question is:
Thanks

Refill with 5W-30 Synthetic blend engine oil, Honda Genuine most preferably.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by easysunny(m): 10:44pm On Oct 25, 2019
luvinhubby:

Refill with 5W-30 Synthetic blend engine oil, Honda Genuine most preferably.

Not 5w20 again? It's 5w20 that Honda recommends on the engine cap. I hope using the 5w30 won't cause problem just like 20w50 that I want flush out?
Pls enlighten me. I'm planning changing it this weekend.
Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 8:13am On Oct 26, 2019
easysunny:

Not 5w20 again? It's 5w20 that Honda recommends on the engine cap. I hope using the 5w30 won't cause problem just like 20w50 that I want flush out?
Pls enlighten me. I'm planning changing it this weekend.
Thanks

He's going slightly thicker to compensate in case 20w50 did any damage. If no problems with 5w30 after a couple changes, then 5w20. I got the impression you haven't had the 20w50 in there long which is why others said straight to 5w20. Also, I'm going to have to disagree on the synthetic blend. Blends are crap.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by dru23(m): 9:29am On Oct 26, 2019
easysunny:
My question is:
Thanks

My brother don't mind them and always read the owners manual.. 5w20 is good for all weather.. I spoke on this topic months ago.. ..
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by thebigkendo(m): 9:39am On Oct 26, 2019
radautoworks:

He's going slightly thicker to compensate in case 20w50 did any damage. If no problems with 5w30 after a couple changes, then 5w20. I got the impression you haven't had the 20w50 in there long which is why others said straight to 5w20. Also, I'm going to have to disagree on the synthetic blend. Blends are crap.

But Honda recommends the crap blend

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 10:00am On Oct 26, 2019
thebigkendo:

But Honda recommends the crap blend

Nope. Show me where. That they make it doesn't mean they recommend it.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by thebigkendo(m): 10:34am On Oct 26, 2019
easysunny:
My question is:

It's 3 months already, the 20w-50 is due for servicing, just do a normal drain & refill with the recommended 5w-20.. No need for any flushing

Thanks

5w-20 full everywhere..
Autologic Gazzuzz Dru23 radautoworks or luvinghubby all on nairaland can hook you up with 5w-20 oil.
You car will be fine with either synthetic, synthetic blend or conventional oil.. Just make sure it 5w-20 or 5w-30

Most mobil falling stations usually have 5w-30, your engine will still be alright with it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by thebigkendo(m): 10:42am On Oct 26, 2019
radautoworks:

Nope. Show me where. That they make it doesn't mean they recommend it.

Last time I checked.. Honda does not have conventional oil, only has synthetic blend & full synthetic

Honda highly recommends Honda motor oil, then same Honda tells me I may use synthetic oil as long as it meets the same spec with conventional and still tells me to follow the same oil change interval as conventional even when using synthetic
Dru hates the bolded grin

1 + 2 = 3 grin

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 10:56am On Oct 26, 2019
thebigkendo:

Last time I checked.. Honda does not have conventional oil, only has synthetic blend & full synthetic

Honda highly recommends Honda motor oil, then same Honda tells me I may use synthetic oil as long as it meets the same spec with conventional and still tells me to follow the same oil change interval as conventional even when using synthetic
Dru hates the bolded grin

1 + 2 = 3 grin

Me and you go quarrel o wink. Na synthetic blend we dey talk about not Honda. Across the board synthetic blend is crap. We don't make it for that reason. My point is either go conventional or go synthetic.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by thebigkendo(m): 11:06am On Oct 26, 2019
radautoworks:

Me and you go quarrel o wink. Na synthetic blend we dey talk about not Honda. Across the board synthetic blend is crap. We don't make it for that reason. My point is either go conventional or go synthetic.

My point was Honda recommends crap synthetic blend(well for my car), you asked me to show your where & I did..
If I have conventional or synthetic blend at the Same price.. I will take the crap synthetic blend grin
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 11:29am On Oct 26, 2019
thebigkendo:

My point was Honda recommends crap synthetic blend(well for my car), you asked me to show your where & I did..
If I have conventional or synthetic blend at the Same price.. I will take the crap synthetic blend grin
Still confused. What car is yours?

Bolded is the only acceptable exception
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by thebigkendo(m): 12:00pm On Oct 26, 2019
radautoworks:

Still confused. What car is yours?

Bolded is the only acceptable exception

The images I shared in my previous post are from user manual of the 7th gen Honda accord & I suspect same will be stated for the honda pilot in question
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 12:26pm On Oct 26, 2019
thebigkendo:

The images I shared in my previous post are from [b]user manual [/b]of the 7th gen Honda accord & I suspect same will be stated for the honda pilot in question

Neither states synthetic blend and neither does the pilot

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by thebigkendo(m): 12:41pm On Oct 26, 2019
radautoworks:

Neither states synthetic blend and neither does the pilot
Local man cannot can't again

1+1= 2
Also
1+ 1 =10

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 1:20pm On Oct 26, 2019
thebigkendo:

Local man cannot can't again

1+1= 2
Also
1+ 1 =10

VICTORY IS MINE!! FORFEIT!! grin

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by thebigkendo(m): 4:22pm On Oct 26, 2019
radautoworks:

VICTORY IS MINE!! FORFEIT!! grin

Hahaha okay oh

Do you have upstream O2 sensor for Acura RDX 2008? How much?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Johnsonkeyz2019: 7:59pm On Oct 26, 2019
Maintain Ur Car well so that it doesn't Maintain u in return

Snapped from a Honda Car

3 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 9:56pm On Oct 26, 2019
thebigkendo:

Hahaha okay oh

Do you have upstream O2 sensor for Acura RDX 2008? How much?

http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=OXY&partNumber=234-9061 N78,176 6 month warranty
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by thebigkendo(m): 10:02pm On Oct 26, 2019

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 10:20pm On Oct 26, 2019

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 11:18pm On Oct 26, 2019
Johnsonkeyz2019:
Maintain Ur Car well so that it doesn't Maintain u in return

Snapped from a Honda Car

That's not a Honda vehicle.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 11:19pm On Oct 26, 2019
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 11:24pm On Oct 26, 2019
luvinhubby:

Oxygen sensor? shocked

No be me price am

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by pcoolioz(m): 12:44pm On Oct 27, 2019
@luvinhubby my Honda accord 08 fuel gauge is going crazy. Tried to fix but keeps malfunctioning. The pin goes above F and stays stagnant so I can't tell how much fuel I consume.

I was told the only way to fix completely is to change the whole dash containing the speedometer and the likes. Do you sell it? If yes how much.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 9:05pm On Oct 27, 2019
pcoolioz:
@luvinhubby my Honda accord 08 fuel gauge is going crazy. Tried to fix but keeps malfunctioning. The pin goes above F and stays stagnant so I can't tell how much fuel I consume.

I was told the only way to fix completely is to change the whole dash containing the speedometer and the likes. Do you sell it? If yes how much.

Dashboard clusters

Available
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by mcPhuture(m): 10:48pm On Oct 27, 2019
I have a Honda civic 2008 model, about 1month ago I was coming from Church and the car started slowing down and wasn't moving past between 10-17 km/h, called up my mechanic and he said it was fuel filter. Had that changed still no pressure and was told to change the entire fuel pump. Pressure started well but car started with a cranking sound when starting up the engine and still won't start anymore. Was told to get a new gasket, engine top, timing chain, and adjuster then grind the valves. Now with all that done, the car starts but now no pressure again and so the engine dies off.

Any ideas what might be the problem and possible solution? I have had over 3 mechanics on it but still no ideas.

Need help, I need it for Taxify duties which I was doing before the problem started.

God bless.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by pcoolioz(m): 10:55pm On Oct 27, 2019
luvinhubby:

Dashboard clusters

Available

Price please?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by jgbemson1: 11:18pm On Oct 27, 2019
@yommex pls drop ur number ,when driving I notice the car just stop moving when I press d turcle ,I av to put the engine n start again n it moves driving wat may b d cause n solution

(1) (2) (3) ... (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) ... (432) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.