Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

The Best University In Nigeria? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Best University In Nigeria? (105669 Views)

Best University In Nigeria To Study Mechanical Engineering / Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? / The Best University In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jul 19, 2006
u still dont have the facts
do u have any standard prove for wat u are sayin?
who are ur agencies?
funny guy
anyways, when u have the fact, talk 2 me
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by rock2(m): 10:55pm On Jul 20, 2006
out of all the universities i have ever seen/heard/imagined, UNIPORT/RSUST are one of the worst universities in the world (my own experience). i once tried to get in through connection 4 years ago but God made sure it failed. on the 28th i'll be graduating from the best. if you are curious, check the news papers.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by azorjiu(m): 8:38pm On Jul 21, 2006
Frankly, I don't know the criteria some guys use to determine the best university in nigeria. It is not enough to pronounce a university the best just because you are an alumnus/alumna of the institution. Why not give some references to support your claims as few have right done?.

It is also a briliant idea to state the faculties where individual universities excels rather than labelling them as the best. For example UNN and UI have won the positions of the best Universities several times. However, the law faculties of these institutions failed to scale the last NUC accreditation. I finished from Jos and can tell you that Jos excels in Pharmacy, Architecture, theatre arts,, To me, that does not make unijos the best university in nigeria.

Let's not worry ourselves, nigerian universities are way back. The dearth of materials in these institutions is appalling. Books in the libraries are obsolete and lecturers are out modelled. In this computer age, our lecturers still wrestle with black boards, sticks and chalk. They lack access to academic journals as the institutions are not subscribed. Most of them are computer-phobic. You can't believe the proportion of nigerian professors that can't check their e-mails. They conjoin others peoples works and experiments to come up with a hybrid which they publish in local newspapers and awarded Ph.D.

A nigerian professor in one of the highly acclaimed universities (should i mention names?) sent a paper to the editors of an academic journal here. He sent the paper through my friends as he didn't know how to use the computer. The 3 - pages work he sent was sent back to him, but this time, 10 pages was sent. Over 7 pages corrections! He was told that the possibility of publishing his paper was 1/10, considering how incoherent it was. This is not to say that our academics are not briliant. No! They are good, but the world has advanced beyond where we are now. This is the 21st century.

We should discuss how to ensure that our universities can tranform back into institutions of higher learning instead of fighting over which is the best. We don't have any good one, much less the best.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by option4301(m): 4:54pm On Jul 24, 2006
MADONNA UNIVERSITY OKIJA IS THE BEST IN NAIJA
ASK NUC AND YOU WILL KNOW BETTER
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by maki(f): 10:02am On Jul 25, 2006
madonna university ko!, that secondray school
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by fadugba: 11:41am On Jul 25, 2006
The best university in nigeria should be in two categories 1)private 2)public. In the private sector i think covenant university is the best.The facilities in that school is of international standard.In the public sector i av only visited few of this universities but i think O.A.U ife have very good structures.I think most of this public universities live on past glory because when the standard of the 80s is compared to now we will all know that the standards have dropped.Without any sentiments i think covenant university is the best in Nigeria for now
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by michy(f): 11:43am On Jul 25, 2006
If it in terms of facilities,i think is University of Ibadan followed by University of Lagos
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 4:29pm On Jul 25, 2006
We dony have any thing like "best university" in nigeria for now. Education especially higher education in public institutions is in shambles already; whether university , polytechnic or college of education, they are nothing to write home about. I can only agree that some of the newly established private universities might bring a change to the higher educational system in nigeria, before we can now have a "best university" in nigeria. All those public universities like UNN, UI, Ife, ABU, UNILAG, UNIPORT, UNIBEN, RSUST, AAU Ekpoma, UNIZIK, FUTO, UNIJOS, FUTA, ATBU, FUTY, UNICAL, UNIUYO, UNIILORIN and a long list of public universities that i cannot mention all live by past glory. The euipments, lecture materials, books and even the Lecturers/professors themselves are obsolete and archaic, so the students too learn obsolete and archaic things. NO UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA CAN CLAIM TO BE THE BEST FOR NOW, especially public universities.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by pfowighz(m): 5:36pm On Jul 26, 2006
Ishmael has a very SOLID point there. We should stop talking about Best Univ in Nigeria, cuz the fact is that they are all NOT GOOD at all; even by regional standards.

The Public Univs have great scholars, are patronized by the very brilliant students, have large (academically and financially) alumni base, solid structures BUT usually poor infra[/b]structure. undecided

However, it would be nothing short of a WILD generalization to say that they ALL live [b]by
past glory. Thats pretty wrong. These schools, have all awoken to the fact that Nigerias educational system must be revamped and are now making strategic moves in the right direction(s). This, I know is true for U.I. Unilag, Ife at LEAST. For example; UI now has a very strong relationship with the McArthur Foundation and they have undergone several projects for us. They also have such relations with Penn University (An Ivy-leaguer, i.e one of the best in the world, check it out!). Also, they have began to build strong connections with Industry, e.g in the Technology Faculty in UI, we have SHELL, NNPC, Schlumberger, and a Geophysics Company buildings already present, used for research,e tc. Also, UNESCO has just agreed to make an Endowment too.

UI, (through the hard work of its students in Elect/Elect) became the first African University to benefit from an international all-African IEEE grant. The president of IEEE had to come to AFRICA for the first time in his life, to the UI campus, just to launch it, because of his passion, ofcourse. They also provide (virtually) free access to highly up-to -date and understandable material, etc.

UI have also struggled to mantain very stringent academic admission policy; both for graduate and even (worse) for undergraduates, as they intend to beef up no of doctorate degree program students. So, they get the very BEST, most times.

Also, the McArthur Foundation just recently donated about $2 million to OAU Ife!

In the light of all these, it would definitely be brutally unfair to say:

All those public universities like UNN, UI, Ife, ABU, UNILAG, UNIPORT, UNIBEN, RSUST, AAU Ekpoma, UNIZIK, FUTO, UNIJOS, FUTA, ATBU, FUTY, UNICAL, UNIUYO, UNIILORIN and a long list of public universities that i cannot mention all live by past glory. The euipments, lecture materials, books and even the Lecturers/professors themselves are obsolete and archaic, so the students too learn obsolete and archaic things.

These, and more can be said about other first-generation universities, and I hope to hear more of these. All these univs have plans for improvement.

Private Univs on the other hand have capital, and funding and most times good facilities and infrastructure, but they really have not got the pedigree of scholars, alums, etc that make any great Univ tick.

All these factors are used in ranking, and so we can see why Nig. Univs are very low.

SO, ALL I'D SAY IS WE CAN AND SHOULD ALL TRY TO MAKE OUR UNIVS STANDARD; WE HAVE THE CAPACITY AND RESOURCES, SO LETS DO IT!!! kiss
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 6:03pm On Jul 26, 2006
What and what have you people in UI discovered or improved in your course of research? All these na stories. We've not heard of any meaningful result coming from there. We see UI graduates everyday, and they are not better than graduates of AAU Ekpoma, IMSU, ABSU and even Kogi state uni. (Sorry becos these are new uni compared to UI).They are the same thing jo. Lets not decieve ourselves. Graduates from most of the 1st generation universities live by past glories.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by dearie(m): 2:57am On Jul 27, 2006
The answer is very clear, get the statistics of schools chosen by JAMB applicants and you will have your answer.
no one needs a soothsayer to know that UNILAG is years and miles ahead of others, but if u r not convinced, take a stroll to JAMB office and confirm it.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by etete(m): 12:38pm On Jul 27, 2006
university of prot harcourt we all knw is d unique 1 amongst the rest shocked
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 6:24pm On Jul 27, 2006
Stop decieving yourselves, else i will have to say that Nasarawa state uni is the best in nigeria.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by pfowighz(m): 3:03pm On Jul 28, 2006
Ishmael, why are you so Shallow, Subjective and worst of all Sentimental about things!!!

I've given you facts on why first gen unis are not just ", living on past glory". Why dont you prove me wrong with facts? Are they fools, who will look at things going bad and not want to change for the better!

The highest ranked Nigerian univ in the world rankings is at postion 6000 plus. This means that logically if there is to be selection of top scholars, at least 6000 must come up before any one from a Nigerian Univ. But if you check the recently published 2000 top scholars in the WORLD there are quite a number of Nigerians!!! - ALL from first gen unis like UI, ABU, IFE, LAG, etc.

What does this tell you? (if i even tells you ANYthing!). The fact about Nigerian education is that we lack INFRASTRUCTURE for cutting-edge research. Every year, lecturers from Nigerian 1st gen unis are invited abroad for sabaticas to top unis in the world. I told you about the Collabo with Penn Univ. in UI too. These lecturers are definitely not LIVING ON PAST GLORY!!!

Also, every year, via the McArthur Foundation, top students in UI gain scholarships to study abroad for masters, phds, etc. at top schools in the US. They definitely are not taken based on PAST GLORY!!!

Also, please stop that CRAP about seeing UI graduates everyday! Thats being stereotypical, fact is; among students at about the same range, the best eventually come up from 1st gen unis! I really dont expect someone like you to notice this, but ask Industry Captains and Personell/Recruitment people.

And, by the way, UI graduates are some of the best around. Just toooo many pointers, again ask the right people, they'll tell ya. Ann example? In last years Shell scholarship, there were only 4 UI students that won. IT was alarming and the Students Affairs Division asked how many people applied; Only FOUR! Funny enough, those four were all on the NAtional Merit list!!! undecided

See, guy, stop talking nonsense, you'll be laughed at! grin

Ofcourse, this is not to spite Private Unis; they are great with facilities and I believe (most) are on the right track, too. Although, they mostly attract dull RICH students. In my sec. school (ISI) for instance; most people that didnt get up to 200 in JAMB had direct access to big private schls( names withheld). Yet, our 2nd best student eventually went to Covenant (and right now is top of his class).

I say, they should be (a little) less concerned with money; t'll always come; try and introduce scholarship schemes (which some are already doing).

To recap, let me just remind you of what the great man Afe Babalola said; He would not ever consent to sending children abroad or to private unis; ALL his children studied in 1st gen unis in Nigeria!

So, man, , lipsrsealed smiley
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 6:00pm On Jul 28, 2006
Pfowighz, i,m not in anyway sentimental; and i had to say Nasarawa state uni was the best becos everybody believes one out of the uni's in nigeria is the best. I,m not from Nasarawa state oo!!. But one thing you shld know is that you cannot say that UI is the best university in Nigeria and get away with it like dat. You dont expect everybody to believe, hope u know that? Even people who graduated from ABU, Ife, LAG and UNN will definitely claim that they are in the best. So how do we solve this puzzle now? There is one nigerian adage that says; "No body wey go say him mama soup no sweet". How do we know which soup is the sweetest among the various soup on ground now? If graduates from ABU, LAG, Ife and UNN begin to tell you about achievements from their own schools, will you ordinarily agree with them just like that? Please tell me the truth and i will stop talking now.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by pfowighz(m): 11:26am On Aug 02, 2006
Hey, Ismael,

First, I never stated that it was my point of view that UI is the best, in my last two posts. I am not here to tell you any one school is the best. In fact, I made it clear in my first post that they are ALL BAD, by global and EVEN regional standards! Even in a country like the US, you may say Harvard is the best, but I tell you, the major thing they have going that their counterparts lack is rich history of solid students and alum, and therefore high no of Nobel Laureates and therefore also, they attract some of the best students. This is obviously because they were the very FIRST to be established. But if you want to look at research output, believe me, many Unis in the US would beat them fair and square! So it is really not easy to pin-point the BEST in any country; you can only view various aspects or find a weighed average or something,

The whole motive was to refute your statement about schools like ABU, LAG, Ife and UNN (first gen.) living ON past Glory. That was too incorrect to be,
And also I believe passionately that everybody is ENTITLED to her/his point of view. However, ofcourse, not to the detriment of others,

Second, I am not here to blow the trumpet for any school, but credit must be given to who merits it, (in adequate proportions). Read my post again and you'll know the main thrust of my assertions; UI was just one (although I probably used it more frequently) of many case studies.

Cheers.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 7:32am On Aug 03, 2006
Pfowighz, i understand ur points, and i quite agree with you. Cheers!!!!!
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by EdehOnos(m): 6:29pm On Aug 09, 2006
hi
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by rapidoch: 4:00am On Aug 17, 2006
unique uniport is the best in petroleum and gas engineeering.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by EdehOnos(m): 9:43pm On Aug 17, 2006
rapidoch,
stop acting like a baby.remember other schools like UI has pet engine as well.make a very good inquiries b4 you blaspheme
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by rock2(m): 6:06pm On Aug 21, 2006
Guys check this out, you will like it
Top universities in Africa
http://www.webometrics.info/top100_continent.asp-cont=africa.htm
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by GNature(m): 3:22pm On Aug 22, 2006
@pfowighz

You made some very valid points and I tend to agree with you.

I would reiterate your point that it is true that many of the 1st gen universities
are not where they used to be in terms of research, quality of education
and infrastructure, but the school administrators realise this and are
doing things to improve the situation. We should try and highlight the
fact that many 1st gen VCs are trying and we need to be a bit optimistic.

Personally, it is difficult for me to say which university is the best in Nigeria. I
would like to see the criteria (and proof) that was used to arrive at the
decisions made by the NUC.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by carlysia(f): 1:47am On Sep 03, 2006
delta state university
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by GNature(m): 12:32am On Sep 04, 2006
@carly

Why delta state university ? Any particular reason ?
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by hector: 11:21am On Sep 04, 2006
i think in terms of Academics and best academics staffs its UniUyo, not withstanding the high cultism activity and some of their poor facilities.ok take a look at this if u doubt me, WHICH WAS THE FIRST UNIVERSITY THAT CONDUCTED THIS APTITUDE TEST OF A THING?if u dig deep u would find out that it was uniuyo followed by unilag.the are so concious about their academic standard i tell u.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by hershyn: 4:28pm On Sep 04, 2006
My friend's nephew is interested in Igbinedion University Okada. Apart from the crazy fees, Nobody knows anybody who knows any body who has attended the school.

Have u?

Do u know anyone who has?

Is it worth all that money?

Does NYSC etc recognise the school?

Do employers recognise the school?

Please help me to help my friend.

Many thanks,

hershyn.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by dayokanu(m): 8:56pm On Sep 04, 2006
Most of the brilliant student in Nigeria want to go to UI,IFe ,LAG UNN and ABU and the rest go to other schools because you could not make admission into these schools does not mean you should beef them most of you picked these schools as your first choice but when you were denied you tried elsewhere
So the best sch should be between these
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by carlysia(f): 9:59pm On Sep 04, 2006
Gnature!!y r u curious about moi choosin delta state uni?
y do u think i have reasons?ok wait a min?i will tell u.i chose
it cos i have a friend der and he is a very nice person and
dear to my heart.i dont know about the uni's in nija.i just
chose it if u shld know.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by GNature(m): 10:15pm On Sep 04, 2006
Quote from carlysia:

"i chose
it because i have a friend der and he is a very nice person and
dear to my heart.i don't know about the uni's in nija.i just
chose it if u shld know."

Excellent response. Great reason to think it's the best university in nigeria.

Thanks so much.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by superstar1(m): 5:55pm On Sep 05, 2006
why u na still dey argue Rock2 has already postd the world recognised list of top schools in Africa.Plz check out the attachment of Rock2,any arguement from anyone else is just ego massaging.Or u wan say dat is wromg again.Txs 2 Rock2 4 settling this matter once and for all. In d world list of recognised universities, UI is number57 that translate 2 1st in NIgeria.Or wot ur own standard after this one. Bad enuf UI is even 57 in Africa but it doesn't need any flogging again, it i s recognised as the 1st in Nigeria.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by pfowighz(m): 5:24pm On Sep 06, 2006
Super star; TRUE talk; all Ego massaging! The facts are all bare for all; so everybody, instead of posting here, go DO something to make A Nigeiran University Higher quality!!! Yeah, thats it!
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by trakos(m): 8:53pm On Sep 06, 2006
why not FUTA?i think it is the best in terms of technology.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English / FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment / LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.