Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,030 members, 7,807,055 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:01 AM

FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 (4879 Views)

Dangote Pledges To Assist FG To Turnaround Nigeria’s Economy / FG To Earn N2.5b Daily From N50 Bank Charge / FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by mukina2: 6:32pm On Jul 23, 2012
The Federal Government is putting structures in place with a view to stopping rice importation by 2015, an official said on Monday.

Mr Amos Afowowe, Deputy Director, Agro-Processing and Marketing, Federal Ministry of Agriculture, said this in Kaduna when he paid a courty visit to Gov. Patrick Yakowa.

Afowowe said he was in the state to explore the possibility of the state hosting the Staple Crop Processing Zone.

''Nigeria has been spending much on agriculture and by 2015, Nigeria must stop the importation of rice.

He noted that said the country had the natural, human and material resources to achieve this goal.

According to him, stopping rice importation will improve the nation’s economy, provide job opportunities and boost local production.

In his response, Yakowa commended the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr Akinwumi Adesina, for his efforts to transform the nation's agricultural sector.

Yakowa noted that one of the outcomes of the recent meeting with stakeholders in the agricultural sector in Washington, U.S., was the proposed establishment of the Ferguson Tractor Companies to be located in Kaduna and Port Harcourt.

The governor called for the utilisation of the country's vast land mass for agricultural purposes such that the much resources being used for rice importation, would be utilised for other vital sectors.

``Most pre- and post-independent development in Nigeria were made possible through agriculture.’’

Yakowa decried the absence of agro-processing and marketing outfits, say that the situation posed a challenge to Nigerian farmers.

He said the state government would improve the performance of the agriculture sector, to provide jobs for the teeming youths in the state.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/41647-fg-to-stop-rice-importation-in-2015

1 Like

Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jul 23, 2012
Let`s all give props to GEJ for another good policy in the wrong direction. I guess by 2015, we should all be accustomed to eating cassava bread.

1 Like

Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by olusipimp(m): 7:08pm On Jul 23, 2012
i wont blame dt bomboy.....he wants we ppl to start eating cassava bread produced from bayelsa.....isn't dis weird/
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 23, 2012
Up GEJ, FRESH AIR!!!
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by GboyegaD(m): 7:11pm On Jul 23, 2012
Brand_new: Let`s all give props to GEJ for another good policy in the wrong direction. I guess by 2015, we should all be accustomed to eating cassava bread.

So true.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by chucky234(m): 7:11pm On Jul 23, 2012
Hmmm GEJ is already planning to flood the market with Abakiliki rice come 2015, everyone should prepare to embrace the all new Abakiliki parboiled rice with tiny stones improved from the heavy stones we used to eat in the 80s.
This a plus for GEJ and I am sure everyone will agree with me, I am laughing in strange language.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Seun(m): 7:17pm On Jul 23, 2012
This is the kind of Economic idiocy that leads to food shortages and famine all over Africa. The effect of restricting importation of a staple food is that the cost of food will go up. This makes life more difficult for the poor. What kind of devil wants that to happen? Some people who would can currently afford just enough food to avoid starvation will have to die when the importation of rice is banned. For what?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jul 23, 2012
Seun: This is the kind of Economic idiocy that leads to food shortages and famine all over Africa. The effect of restricting importation of a staple food is that the cost of food will go up. This makes life more difficult for the poor. What kind of devil wants that to happen? Some people who would can currently afford just enough food to avoid starvation will have to die when the importation of rice is banned. For what?

Rice Importation has to be stopped in generality. What nation is this, no body embraces their own food. The foreign food we eat has been doctored by the "superior race", cursing a lot fertility issues and reduction in life expectancy. This is top secret.

Now going back to our basics, what country imports food for the Citizen when they have vast agricultural landmass. If Rice overcost, Eba dey, Yam dey, cocoyam dey, our local food is far better than this parboil rice that has become our staple food. And our foreign exchange will be ploughed back into Agriculture. GEJ, FRESH AIR.

1 Like

Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jul 23, 2012
Banning importation of a commodity is not a bad policy (I would have preferred an increase in duty to outright ban though). What's bad is not having a good local substitute and lack of enough capacity to offset the net importation.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Ozonna(m): 7:34pm On Jul 23, 2012
I must say that this is a good policy. We've been spending billions of dollars annually importing rice over the years. Imagine what the amountof jobs it'll create, i must confess that minister of Agriculture may actually be the best we've ever had believe it or not hes one of the best in GEJ's administration.

meanwhile we still have from now to 2015 to prepare ourselves,so its not as if we'll be caugth unaware

1 Like

Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by kaboninc(m): 7:44pm On Jul 23, 2012
Seun: This is the kind of Economic idiocy that leads to food shortages and famine all over Africa. The effect of restricting importation of a staple food is that the cost of food will go up. This makes life more difficult for the poor. What kind of devil wants that to happen? Some people who would can currently afford just enough food to avoid starvation will have to die when the importation of rice is banned. For what?
I hope this is not coming from the Seun I know! How can you encourage the importation of a product that can be home grown? Were you not the same person canvassing for local content through your contest recently on JAMB's website? I hope its not you.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by tempest01(m): 7:45pm On Jul 23, 2012
Call in china to build 3 massive rice processing plants....the rest is history.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by kaboninc(m): 7:47pm On Jul 23, 2012
Billyonaire:

Rice Importation has to be stopped in generality. What nation is this, no body embraces their own food. The foreign food we eat has been doctored by the "superior race", cursing a lot fertility issues and reduction in life expectancy. This is top secret.

Now going back to our basics, what country imports food for the Citizen when they have vast agricultural landmass. If Rice overcost, Eba dey, Yam dey, cocoyam dey, our local food is far better than this parboil rice that has become our staple food. And our foreign exchange will be ploughed back into Agriculture. GEJ, FRESH AIR.
Very on point! I wonder how we intend to grow if we don't encourage and patronise our own products.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by fasttrack(m): 8:05pm On Jul 23, 2012
Billyonaire:

Wat again do we need, this is a thumbs up for GEJ. But thats barely 3 yrs from now. He should focus on giving loans/grants to farmers who will partner with foreigners. Because I don't think Nigerians have the expertise to cope alone without foreign intervention. Also we need to ban a lot of stuff to give room for growth of our industries and economy.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by marvel10: 8:07pm On Jul 23, 2012
Go and sit down with this 'buy local' bleats. It is unbecoming jor. When I grew up, rice was only eaten on special occasions such as birthday parties, weddings and on Sundays after church. Rather than a pointless ban of items the average Nigerian finds quick to cook, how about sponsoring articles, research about healthy tubers such as yams (coco, water) sweet potatoes etc You think all the cookery programmes on the Beeb is purely for viewers entertainment? You should look into how many recipe books are bought, how much traffic is driven to pages on websites about food, how much money supermarkets make from selling items with menus showing customers how to cook delicious meals quickly. It isn't all about banning stuff. The problem is a number of leaders and would be leaders are too dictatorial in their leanings and less creative. It is such a shame.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jul 23, 2012
fasttrack:

Wat again do we need, this is a thumbs up for GEJ. But thats barely 3 yrs from now. He should focus on giving loans/grants to farmers who will partner with foreigners. Because I don't think Nigerians have the expertise to cope alone without foreign intervention. Also we need to ban a lot of stuff to give room for growth of our industries and economy.
Ofcourse, its why there is 3yrs timeframe, and Fertilizer plant is already undergoing construction and the middlemen that used to hurd fertilizers has been eradicated, now fertilizers are sold in shops.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by fasttrack(m): 8:21pm On Jul 23, 2012
Billyonaire: Ofcourse, its why there is 3yrs timeframe, and Fertilizer plant is already undergoing construction and the middlemen that used to hurd fertilizers has been eradicated, now fertilizers are sold in shops.

am in support but the time frame is too short. he needs to make sure the plantations are up n running, then he can put a ban. same he did with bread, puts high import duties on wheat. the only way to solve this problem is by making sure the farmers have already startd farming even if the total harvest is 3/4 of the quantity being imported,
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Femmyfamous4u(m): 8:28pm On Jul 23, 2012
Hi peeps, i think it's high time we took cognizance of some facts. The more the imports, the less the purchasing power of the local currency(naira in this case) and the more unfavourable the balance of payment would be. The minister of finance thought it good to apply import substitution strategy so as to reduce the pressure on the NAIRA. Nigeria's major imports include RICE. WHEAT, PETROLEUM PRODUCTS, FROZEN FOODS Etc. Most viable economies of the world have a very efficient agriculture which accounts for Nigeria's major exports in the 6o's and early 7o's. Lagos is spearheading the cultivation and processing of rice. Watch out for EKO RICE. At the moment, Lagos has planted, harvested and processed over 500000 bags of rice of international standard and has acquired over 15 hectares of land for the planting of rice in lagos and other south west and south southern states. Therefore, if we invest more in the plantation of rice and have many processing plant, we'll have enough rice for consumption and even consider exportation

1 Like

Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by bakila: 8:39pm On Jul 23, 2012
Billyonaire: Ofcourse, its why there is 3yrs timeframe, and Fertilizer plant is already undergoing construction and the middlemen that used to hurd fertilizers has been eradicated, now fertilizers are sold in shops.
Lair its twelve thousand for two bags of NPK. I SUPPORT every effort to boost not only production and consumption of staple like Rice but as far as spices that abound everywhere in Nigeria.
Fertilizer is still a foriegn innovation like rice. Let them stop stealing and encourage other sectors of production and we are good.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by lacasa: 8:53pm On Jul 23, 2012
Building a skyscraper from the top

Mtcheeu!!!

1 Like

Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Seun(m): 8:56pm On Jul 23, 2012
Billyonaire: Rice Importation has to be stopped in generality.
Why? Don't you like cheap food? Would you like to live in a country where only the rich can afford to buy rice?

What nation is this, no body embraces their own food. The foreign food we eat has been doctored by the "superior race", cursing a lot fertility issues and reduction in life expectancy. This is top secret.
Really? And you posted it on a public forum? Ok, what stops them from hiring agents to "contaminate" our local foods?

Now going back to our basics, what country imports food for the Citizen when they have vast agricultural landmass.
The decision of whether to import or not import should be left to Nigerians. If you want to buy cheap imported rice, you should be free to do so. And if you prefer to eat yams every day, even when they are out of season and therefore expensive, you should be free to do so. But the government should not prevent me from buying cheap rice. The only beneficiaries of such policies are the handful of people involved in agriculture. I suspect that there are many factors responsible for our reliance on imported food. If those factors are resolved, the government won't need to ban anything. On the other hand, if they are not resolved, then an import ban would cause a lot of pain. If the government wants to help, let them find a way to do it without taking away our freedom to import cheap food.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Abrantie: 9:02pm On Jul 23, 2012
Billyonaire:

[/color] [/b]

160 million even while eating "doctored" food and you're worried about fertility issues? May be the ban could be a blessing in disguise.

1 Like

Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by taharqa: 9:03pm On Jul 23, 2012
bakila:
Lair its twelve thousand for two bags of NPK. I SUPPORT every effort to boost not only production and consumption of staple like Rice but as far as spices that abound everywhere in Nigeria.
Fertilizer is still a foriegn innovation like rice. Let them stop stealing and encourage other sectors of production and we are good.
@bakila. I need sm info on d new Fertilizer policy, so if u can respond to dese questns plz 1. Are d fertilizers getting to d farmers? 2. Is it getting to them within d time frame of land preparatn? 3. Has d middlemen bn substantially or wholly displayd? 4. Wot is d cost(s) of d fertilizers relative to its cost in d old system? 5. Wot is d general attitude of d farmers to d new system. Odas wit knowleageable info can plz also respond.sources will be appreciatd.thanks
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by 2sexy(m): 9:19pm On Jul 23, 2012
Story... 2015 campaign in action
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Ganys: 9:21pm On Jul 23, 2012
Billyonaire:
UP GEJ, FRESH AIR.
40 LAPTOPS WORKING HERE....
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by plato7: 10:40pm On Jul 23, 2012
Billyonaire:

on point
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by ballabriggs: 10:46pm On Jul 23, 2012
Akabo le le O!!!

Na so Jona wan use hunger finish us. This one done pass holocaust O. ICC please take note.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jul 23, 2012
Ganys:
40 LAPTOPS WORKING HERE....
You wan try ? Come join the winning Team and roll on a G55 AMG......be number 41 laptop, Ode!
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jul 23, 2012
Seun:
Why? Don't you like cheap food? Would you like to live in a country where only the rich can afford to buy rice?

Really? And you posted it on a public forum? Ok, what stops them from hiring agents to "contaminate" our local foods?

The decision of whether to import or not import should be left to Nigerians. If you want to buy cheap imported rice, you should be free to do so. And if you prefer to eat yams every day, even when they are out of season and therefore expensive, you should be free to do so. But the government should not prevent me from buying cheap rice. The only beneficiaries of such policies are the handful of people involved in agriculture. I suspect that there are many factors responsible for our reliance on imported food. If those factors are resolved, the government won't need to ban anything. On the other hand, if they are not resolved, then an import ban would cause a lot of pain. If the government wants to help, let them find a way to do it without taking away our freedom to import cheap food.
Seun we can discuss this all night night. I have proofs to the food contamination by the "Superior Race", you need to start listening to people like Louis Farrakhan. Their intention is based on a policy to reduce or weed out the "inferior races" so the innovative race can dominate for ever. Why in essence do you think America can risk all resources to protect Israelites.

Going back to local production of food. Seun, think deeply the implication of this: Should Nigeria become a Lybia or Syria, or even a North Korean and there is Trade Embargo or Economic Sanction against Nigeria, hunger go kill you within3 weeks since you depend 100% on importation of common thing like food. Anyway, I no go mind to see grown up man like you holding plastic plate stand for line fighting to collect food from RED CROSS if you insist on importation. Nigeria needs to go back to the "Operation Feed the Nation" days. Indonesia and Malaysia borrow palm kernel from this country now free oil money has killed agriculture, all man wan dey inside oil/gas and IT and some are becoming celebrities. Agriculture is crying and bushes are turning to forests.

Seun, let me remind you that if the several billions of dollars put into importation was used to buy locally grown food, by now, I sure say u for throw your laptop away and become a CoCoa farmer and I would have thrown my tankers away and become fertilizer manufacturer. We need to grow up. if not, we stand the fail as a nation tomorrow. If we cant grow our own food, we will face famine tomorrow. Mark my words.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by brownlord: 11:08pm On Jul 23, 2012
Only rice? He should bound air too now or em never make subtitute for that foolish man, I wonder how he became graduate not to talk of a lecturer in the first place
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by chucky234(m): 11:13pm On Jul 23, 2012
Billyonaire: Seun we can discuss this all night night. I have proofs to the food contamination by the "Superior Race", you need to start listening to people like Louis Farrakhan. Their intention is based on a policy to reduce or weed out the "inferior races" so the innovative race can dominate for ever. Why in essence do you think America can risk all resources to protect Israelites.

Going back to local production of food. Seun, think deeply the implication of this: Should Nigeria become a Lybia or Syria, or even a North Korean and there is Trade Embargo or Economic Sanction against Nigeria, hunger go kill you within3 weeks since you depend 100% on importation of common thing like food. Anyway, I no go mind to see grown up man like you holding plastic plate stand for line fighting to collect food from RED CROSS if you insist on importation. Nigeria needs to go back to the "Operation Feed the Nation" days. Indonesia and Malaysia borrow palm kernel from this country now free oil money has killed agriculture, all man wan dey inside oil/gas and IT and some are becoming celebrities. Agriculture is crying and bushes are turning to forests.

Seun, let me remind you that if the several billions of dollars put into importation was used to buy locally grown food, by now, I sure say u for throw your laptop away and become a CoCoa farmer and I would have thrown my tankers away and become fertilizer manufacturer. We need to grow up. if not, we stand the fail as a nation tomorrow. If we cant grow our own food, we will face famine tomorrow. Mark my words.
Your points are baseless in present day Nigeria,Malaysia and Indonesia succeeded in becoming the world's top palm oil producing nations because they leaders were not wasteful with the little resources and also made sure the the laws put in place were implementedt to the later.

Since the Nigerian banned the importation of foreign made fabrics how many have you purchase and how many have you seen those officials wear because they are supposed to lead by example,they put laws banned importation of those items and yet imports same items for their families.

This govt is wasteful with resources and have not impress me in the aspect of implementation.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 23, 2012
chucky234: Your points are baseless in present day Nigeria
Present Day Nigeria is Boko up North, with 3 members declared international terrorists. We just commissioned nuclear energy research institute piloted by Russia. Read the future. Going back to Agriculture and a ban on importation of rice by 2015 is not for present day, its a future contingency plan and its that same future am referring to, Sir.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gtbank Loan: Get Up To N5million Naira On Your First Application / Price Of Deep Cycle Battery / Happy 50th Birthday: Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi-31/07/2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.