Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,842 members, 7,798,824 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) (18633 Views)

Why Is This Car Called 'Big For Nothing'? / A Toyota Camry 2.4 (big For Nothing) Or A Honda Eod? / Honda End Of Discussion Vs Camry Big For Nothing ; Which Is Better (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by BizBooks(m): 5:55pm On Jul 24, 2012
Over the weekend, I visited a friend who is on a business trip to the US. In the course of
our conversation, he informed me that the 2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry popularly known as “Big
for Nothing” is now a hot item in the Nigerian car market. According to him, he sold 4
units before making this trip.

The “Big for Nothing” like most Toyota products is a durable and reliable car. So one is
at loss to understand why Nigerian drivers have vehemently refused to accept it over the
years. In fact, in dealing with Nigerian car buyers, many have specifically told me “I do
not want Big for Nothing
” instead opting for Tiny Light or Fish which are much older
models. When you ask why, you don’t get a good answer.

So if you are in the market for an affordable Toyota Camry, consider the “Big for
Nothing”. They are much better than Tiny Light and Fish and the price difference is not
much.
Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by Ikenna351(m): 9:14pm On Jul 24, 2012
BizBooks: Over the weekend, I visited a friend who is on a business trip to the US. In the course of
our conversation, he informed me that the 2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry popularly known as “Big
for Nothing” is now a hot item in the Nigerian car market. According to him, he sold 4

The “Big for Nothing” like most Toyota products is a durable and reliable car. So one is
at loss to understand why Nigerian drivers have vehemently refused to accept it over the
years. In fact, in dealing with Nigerian car buyers, many have specifically told me “I do
not want Big for Nothing

So if you are in the market for an affordable Toyota Camry, consider the “Big for
Nothing”. They are much better than Tiny Light and Fish and the price difference is not
much.

That's your opinion. I have driven the car. The interior sucks. Really big for nothing! The interior doesn't worth the huge amount spent on such purchase. But what do i expect? It's Toyota, anyway.

Not trying to discourage fans, but have recently seen various thread asking for price of Tokunbo engine of I4 Big-for-nothing? How many years have they been used for their engines to have failed? I would advice any interested person to go for it's V6. It's appears to be more durable or cheaper. Someone has used his Big for Nothing V6 beyond 1 million miles (mileage). Not 100k miles, but 1,000,000 + miles & its running on the original engine. Thats big kudos for the car's V6 version.

Aside the mechanicals durability doubt, the looks really is odd. Not inspiring to view or gaze at. That's me, anyway.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by lazbay(m): 10:24am On Jul 25, 2012
Ikenna, I disagree wit u. I'm using a sleek clean big daddy after my honda. D car is superb & an eye turner when I go out. Its my choice after my Murano. U need to own one to know d value of d car. I had to let go of my honda though wit better interior after two deadly tie rod pull outs. Try buy a big daddy & u will come back to praise me.

2 Likes

Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by Ikenna351(m): 12:21pm On Jul 25, 2012
lazbay: Ikenna, I disagree wit u. I'm using a sleek clean big daddy after my honda. D car is superb & an eye turner when I go out. Its my choice after my Murano. U need to own one to know d value of d car. I had to let go of my honda though wit better interior after two deadly tie rod pull outs. Try buy a big daddy & u will come back to praise me.

Not as long as I breath.

Ikenna.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by BizBooks(m): 1:17pm On Jul 25, 2012
Below are pictures of a 2003 "Big for Nothing" being offered for sale by Wailey on Nairaland.
I don't see anything wrong with the design of the car. It basically has the same design as
the 2003 Lexus ES 300 (which incidentally is also owned by Toyota).

Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by lukkie(m): 10:51pm On Jul 25, 2012
Most people don't like it cos of its obesity. And the centre console is ugly - a waste of space. I think it's rather big for tight Lagos traffic. But it'll be good for cross-country travel. Same with its Avalon brother.
Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by kensteve01(m): 1:15am On Jul 26, 2012
BizBooks: Over the weekend, I visited a friend who is on a business trip to the US. In the course of

not want Big for Nothing

much.

my dad as one of that and i enjoy riding in it...this particular one as a navigator in it and it makes it cool
Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by Emperoh(m): 1:24am On Jul 26, 2012
Bizzy, been a while. Hope you are good?

On the topic, the basic turn off for the Big for Nothing is the obesity
The name came up as a result of its size with a boring interior.
Nigerians as much as they like Toyota hate boring cars. BFN is bad arse boring!!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

there are also red flags on suspensions and shock of the car
and again its unappealing design and build. It's basically a unit for the senior citizens.
Old man uses one and i just suits him.

If i wanna do this, i do rather do the shapeless but 'buttonized' and pepped up ES series.
More power, more aesthetics, sleeker build and of course, luxury. Dare not compare them both.

As a matter of fact, if i will drive a toyota, it has to be on V6 engine.
They are too light for my liking to run it on I4

On the market issue, i think the EOD still outsells the Camry up till now.
The market moves in phases. It was the 1997 - 2002 Camry that reigned supreme given the Accord gear issues
But the EOD is staging a come back, no thanks to the wacky design of same generation Camry as the EOD
Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by 1800bc(f): 8:04am On Jul 26, 2012
me i sha like the car cos its not too expensive for a toyota of that spec.

1 Like

Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by BizBooks(m): 1:01pm On Jul 26, 2012
@Emperoh,

Given a choice between a 2001 Camry aka Fish or Drop Light and a 2003 Camry aka Big for
Nothing, you will be surprised to see that a lot of Nigerian buyers will choose the 2001
model. That's the problem. The Big for Nothing has been demonized in Nigeria causing people
to dislike it with a passion. Remember, Toyota stayed with that design for 5 long years
(2002 - 2006). This indicates that it was a successful seller worldwide if not in Nigeria.
Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by Emperoh(m): 1:48pm On Jul 26, 2012
Bizzy,

I will choose the 01 as well but this time, based on what i know and see.
The 01 is more compact and fuller even though scanty if you look at it critically.
But the 02-06 , NAH!!!

As per continuing with production, i doubt if Toyota could done anything about it
Discontinuing with a build makes for a broad statement of failure.
Again, Toyota being what it is will sell. It is a durable car, last long and
has that Toyota badge of quality but at this time, people are assessing based on emotional values than practical issues
Aesthetics over durability. Bad for Toyota, there is a durable alternative.
Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by BizBooks(m): 12:29pm On Jul 27, 2012
@Emperoh,

I think this whole argument will be resolved by the natural process of attrition. In a few
years the 2000/2001 Camry will become extinct. At that time, Nigerian Camry lovers with
average budgets will have no other option than to go for the Big for Nothing. I can't
foresee a buyer with a budget for a 2001 Camry been able to afford a 2007 Camry which is
the model that comes after Big for Nothing.

As has been reported previously, Toyota has an 80% customer loyalty rating in the US.
That means that 8 out of every 10 persons that drive a Toyota, buy another Toyota the
next time they buy a car. If that statistic holds true in Nigeria, then the Big for
Nothing will be the next logical car for Tiny Light and Fish owners.

1 Like

Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by Emperoh(m): 1:55pm On Jul 27, 2012
Unfortunately, that doesn't hold for Nigeria where some other things more than functionality
seems to be the driving force behind purchase decision.
What will happen then is that people will most likely switch to other brands.
It is already happening now. Honda Accord EOD is benefiting from the Honda design goof.
More of it are on the roads now and accord sells faster than any car now.

This is going to be the norm, i predict, till the Big for Nothing goes out of
fashion completely.
Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by Fhemmmy: 11:18pm On Jul 27, 2012
Nice and reliable ride, my only tun off is that it is boring inside, but that is same for most of the Toyota products.
Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by chrisemy01: 4:33pm On Sep 01, 2012
The part I don't understand is why the V6 is preferred to the V4 for this camry, unlike for other car makes where single young not too buoyant guys wud use the V4? Pls house, any idea?
Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by zoogy2007: 5:12am On Sep 03, 2012
1000000 miles on a car that is barely 10 years old? Some nairalanders can be really funny.
Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by bajugbajug(m): 11:01am On Sep 03, 2012
from my little experience, i think the v6 engine its cheaper to replace than the v4. any other enlightenment?
Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by lukaino(m): 9:40am On Sep 06, 2012
My only issue with BIG FOR NOTHING is the Interior. Simply unpardonable!
But i like its performance and its a woman's best choice for village trips because its boot can
adequately contain 20bags of garri grin

4 Likes

Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by Fhemmmy: 2:03pm On Sep 06, 2012
lukaino: My only issue with BIG FOR NOTHING is the Interior. Simply unpardonable!
But i like its performance and its a woman's best choice for village trips because its boot can

Kai, this man loves food like moi . . .

1 Like

Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by FindOut(m): 2:48pm On Sep 06, 2012
hmmm.... Big for nothing. The SE doesnt look so bad tho, with the back spoilers n 5 spoke alloy wheels. That's the only one i can buy with my money.lol. Or i could buy the XLE, fit it with back spoilers & probably change the wheels as well. The 2005/2006 SE & XLE too isnt soo bad too. I love the redesigned front bumper n front grille. All in all, my big for nothing (if i'm ever goin to buy one) MUST have fog lights, back spoiler on the booth, nice alloy wheels, & preferably leather interior. The formica finishing & digital AC controls rear AC vent (XLE features) are optional.lol.

2 Likes

Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by andywaves(m): 5:13pm On Sep 06, 2012
I really think toyota dissapointd its buyers with this car in this year alone I know of 6 diffrent "big 4 nuttin" camry's with complete engine change for a car less than 10yrs old that is unpardonable when u add dat to the soft shocks and bland interior.and d car feels so light when moving bt its accelration is beautiful bt d let down is from its 2.4 ltr aluminum engine toyota should go back to the more durable cast iron engine in d tiny light or at least try to improve on its 2.4 engine the E.O.D beat this one hands down this time
Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by Nobody: 12:27pm On Mar 31, 2016
Camry 2002 price now should be 1 million .... No more but could be less... Winks
Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by chidooh1: 3:11pm On Mar 31, 2016
lukaino:
My only issue with BIG FOR NOTHING is the Interior. Simply unpardonable!
lol I like your comment, but that car really occupy space sha
Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by mrkhaynoni: 4:28pm On Mar 31, 2016
As it occurred to anyone that the BFN MIGHT have become the preferred choice because of the age restrictions on importation? Anything older than 2001 e.g pencil light is liable to be siezed now! The rational shift will be to the BFN hence the more availability and the increased patronage.
Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by tegbeyemi01: 5:43pm On Mar 31, 2016
If d interior is boring, u can love-vendor it I guess..
Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by Emekasmart(m): 11:52pm On Mar 31, 2016
Fhemmmy:
Nice and reliable ride, my only tun off is that it is boring inside, but that is same for most of the Toyota products.
Wat is ur own definition of being boring in dat ride? Everybody keeps saying this. Nigerian don't even manufacture tire or rim and yet we complain alot. Even the whites who manufactured it don't criticize it the way we Nigerians do...

1 Like

Re: The Rise Of “Big For Nothing” (2002 – 2006 Toyota Camry) by Fhemmmy: 1:33am On Apr 01, 2016
Emekasmart:

Wat is ur own definition of being boring in dat ride? Everybody keeps saying this. Nigerian don't even manufacture tire or rim and yet we complain alot. Even the whites who manufactured it don't criticize it the way we Nigerians do...

Bros, I love my dash to be busy ....yes, Nigeria dont even manufacture a pin but as long as I am spending my money, I have tge right yo be picky, complain and chose something thst aint as boring as this.

Please note that if I dont have a choice or being given as a gift, it is a different thing entirely but when I am payimg my money, it is called choice.

If it is all I can afford ofcourse I will take it over walking on legs.

(1) (Reply)

Coscharis Partners Renault To Assemble Affordable Cars In Nigeria / 15 Amazing Facts You Didn’t Know About The Luxurious Rolls Royce Brand (pics) / An Overview Of Rolls Royce 103ex: The Future Of Luxury Mobility

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.