Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,862 members, 7,821,009 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

0K2NV's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 0K2NV's Profile / 0K2NV's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (of 3 pages)

Politics / Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by 0K2NV: 4:44pm On Jun 11, 2012
[size=30pt]MUST YOU PROTEST OVER EVERYTHING

IS IKEJA CITY MALL THE ONLY VENDOR IN LAGOS?

A SIMPLE BOYCOUT WILL SOLVE THIS RATHER THAN PROTESTING.[/size]

Politics / Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by 0K2NV: 4:19pm On Jun 11, 2012
ypzilanti: Shop owners in the newly opened Ikeja city mall closed temporarily today to protest the imposition of parking fees on visitors to the mall. I was there this morning and most of the shops were shut down and had signs on the doors aying the were protesting extortion by the ikeja city mall operators. I spoke with some shop owners who said that the new fees would affect thier business adversely and was not part of the agreement with the mall operators. This is contrary to the business model of a shopping mall which depends on free moving customers leasurely shopping for goods after wandering and windowshopping. The fees this morning was N200 an hour, which means you have to shop in a hurry and depart from the mall before you attarct additional fees.

Politics / Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by 0K2NV: 1:48pm On Jun 11, 2012
ypzilanti: Shop owners in the newly opened Ikeja city mall closed temporarily today to protest the imposition of parking fees on visitors to the mall. I was there this morning and most of the shops were shut down and had signs on the doors aying the were protesting extortion by the ikeja city mall operators. I spoke with some shop owners who said that the new fees would affect thier business adversely and was not part of the agreement with the mall operators. This is contrary to the business model of a shopping mall which depends on free moving customers leasurely shopping for goods after wandering and windowshopping. The fees this morning was N200 an hour, which means you have to shop in a hurry and depart from the mall before you attarct additional fees.

1 Like

Politics / Dana Air Crash: Could Pilot Error Be The Cause? by 0K2NV: 1:36pm On Jun 11, 2012
I just got an insight into the ill fated Dana flight that crashed in Lagos from a credible ATC operative in Lagos.

He informed me that shortly after takeoff from Abuja, the Dana flight lost one of it's engines near Ilorin airspace. The Pilot radioed in to inform Abuja ATC about this and was adviced to land in Ilorin or Ibadan airport.

The pilot decided to proceed on just one engine to Lagos. Why he did this may be because of the huge financial cost it will put the airline if they diverted to either Ilorin or Ibadan. The airline would have had to make alternative flight arrangements and/or provide hotel accommodation and probably repay air tickets.
So the pilot proceeded to Lagos and somewhere between Oyo and Ogun the second and only engine failed. The pilot radioed in to ATC Lagos about his current dilemma, and all runways where cleared for emergency landing. The runway surface was even sprayed with form and emergency crew where strategically stationed.

The pilot glided with no power and as he slowly descended for approach the pilot began dumping excess fuel. Gravity got the best of him and the rest we all know.

The pilot slated to carry out the flight refused to fly the aircraft before the American Pilot decided to take the flight.
Was he properly briefed by the engineers? Why did he continue to Lagos after being advised to divert to Ibadan or Ilorin?
I believe before we can understand his actions we must understand the man.
He probably was a military trained pilot before becoming a civilian pilot. The "right stuff" is what makes a military pilot; daring and literally flying by the wits of your pants. During the 70's, there were numerous plane crashes usually involving former WW2 and Korean vet pilots. They brought the "right stuff" mentality into civilian air transport.

Why was he flying in Nigeria? Was his licence withdrawn in the U.S. neccessating him to get a job here in Nigeria?
Did the "right stuff" mentality got the best of him and the rest of the Dana passengers?

It's too early to speculate but I strongly believe from all evidence that Pilot error played a big role.

(1) (2) (3) (of 3 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.