Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,421 members, 7,815,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer (2663 Views)

The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer / How Much Do You Earn As A Developer Per Month? / Difference Between A Programmer And A Web Developer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by Aydeggy: 6:31pm On Jan 14, 2008
Hi house.i want you to please help in shedding more light on this topic. The two words "programmer" and "Developer" are used interchangably.Pls what it the major diference between the two.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by Bossman(m): 3:57pm On Jan 15, 2008
They are used interchangeably, and I do not see any difference.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by Babinski: 12:11pm On Jan 19, 2008
The software developer appellation is more encompassing, implying involvement with all facets of development from requirements analysis to design, actual coding and testing. A programmer is more restricted to coding. Except in small companies or individual projects, some programmers don't even do GUI and general macro software design and so they might not even know the whole picture of projects they work on.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by phililp(m): 8:36pm On May 07, 2017
all developers are programmers but not all programmers are developers..

you might know how to program but not how to develop software

While the terms can be and often are interchangeable, I view a developer as someone who's involved in the whole process from requirements gathering, through specification and coding to testing and, yes, support. They might not be fully involved in all stages all of the time.

A programmer is someone who just concentrates on the coding and has little involvement in the rest of the process. This may be their choice of course.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by cbrass(m): 9:07am On May 08, 2017
phililp:

While the terms can be and often are interchangeable, I view a developer as someone who's involved in the whole process from requirements gathering, through specification and coding to testing and, yes, support. They might not be fully involved in all stages all of the time.

A programmer is someone who just concentrates on the coding and has little involvement in the rest of the process. This may be their choice of course.

What is this one saying sef undecided @op there is no difference. It's just like saying a teacher and a tutor
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by cbrass(m): 9:08am On May 08, 2017
The words like software programmer is getting obsolete the new one now is software developer

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by Nobody: 9:30am On May 08, 2017
cbrass:
The words like software programmer is getting obsolete the new one now is software developer
The one and only sensible post on this thread.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by phililp(m): 9:58am On May 08, 2017
cbrass:

What is this one saying sef undecided @op there is no difference. It's just like saying a teacher and a tutor

i have a friend; he started learning programming a month ago... he can write a simple program that takes the user's age as input and output how old they gonno be in 2050...

now this friend of mine... would u call him a programmer?? ...yYES. because he knows how to program and understands how a program works

would you call him a developer...NO because he havnt understand all the stages involved in the process of developing a software..
he only knows part of the process which is programming..

receive sense bro.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by cbrass(m): 2:10pm On May 08, 2017
phililp:

i have a friend; he started learning programming a month ago... he can write a simple program that takes the user's age as input and output how old they gonno be in 2050...

now this friend of mine... would u call him a programmer?? ...yYES. because he knows how to program and understands how a program works

would you call him a developer...NO because he havnt understand all the stages involved in the process of developing a software..

receive sense bro.

smh sad
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by Addict000(m): 2:29pm On May 08, 2017
dhtml18:

The one and only sensible post on this thread.
good afternoon sir, i sent you a PM. Please do reply, i have somethings to discuss with you.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by Nobody: 9:12am On May 09, 2017
phililp:

receive sense bro.
Mr philIp, must you insult him to pass your message across?
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by Olyboy16(m): 12:16pm On May 09, 2017
Nigerian programmers...lol. most do not understand a thing about computer science.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by Nobody: 1:26pm On May 09, 2017
Olyboy16:
Nigerian programmers...lol. most do not understand a thing about computer science.
Necessary? I dont know computer science and did not study it, but I have mastery of more than a dozen programming languages to my name, with lots of projects too. . . . .a mere degree cannot beat that (and yes, I have a degree too but it is not computer science)

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by phililp(m): 1:39pm On May 09, 2017
Ezechinwa:

Mr philIp, must you insult him to pass your message across?

apologies please... to the person in question..

u know say bad mouth pple tu full NL... so d tin make me come d get bad mouth naturally anytime i come on NL

abeg sorry bro no vex

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by Olyboy16(m): 6:11pm On May 09, 2017
dhtml18:

Necessary? I dont know computer science and did not study it, but I have mastery of more than a dozen programming languages to my name, with lots of projects too. . . . .a mere degree cannot beat that (and yes, I have a degree too but it is not computer science)
actually if you take some time in checking my post i made use of "most nigerian programmers" not "all nigerian programmers". BTW, your portfolio and fluency in programming languages does not declare you an efficient code writer; no pun intended here. if you are very active on SO forums, you may realize my point. 80% of the codes written by our programmers in nigeria are probably more of artistic intuition than functional efficiency. now i'm not saying Nigerian programmers are bad, i'm just trying to point out the obvious.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by Nobody: 7:57pm On May 09, 2017
^^^I do understand your points, my own point is that I am encouraging Nigerian developers to study more online. You do not need to study computer science before you can learn how to write good codes, deploy stuffs e.t.c The knowledge is available online for those interested to learn.
And yes, I am active on SO and other forum, and understand what you are talking about too.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by cbrass(m): 9:19pm On May 09, 2017
One thing I have come to realise is that, there is no bad programmer and there is no good one, we get better everyday, and this applies to any country , dhtml18 once said something some years back that someone who can write a good flow chat about a problem already solved the problem, i.e we first become programmers by our ability to think critically and not necessarily the code

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by Nobody: 1:03am On May 10, 2017
^^^You still remember gawddamit!
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by cbrass(m): 2:41pm On May 11, 2017
yes o
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by ijeezlux(m): 4:48pm On May 11, 2017
I was onces very active in programming, using c++ to solve problems. but these days because of how naija is I have almost forgotten what even a variable is in programming. what a sad story, well I put the blame on Nigeria's dilapidated stated. even my laptop is no where to be found. I sold it long ago when the going was very tough. so what I do these days to make ends meet is not in any way related to computer, let alone programming. wetin man go do na. I must survive.

when I see and hear young people talking about coding... I feel very bad. but God knows y everything is like this. but these days I still imagine code... I still think code... I still write code in my imaginary world. am even having that feeling that am better than i was before when I was coding with my laptop, I feel am now like an old wine that get better with time. ... so of late am now trying to use my little chinco phone to learn a more marketable(Nigeria) language (php and JavaScript).. but do u know what? I don't really have the zeal to learn them cos I feel they are too easy and that they don't pose any challenge to me.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by phililp(m): 5:56pm On May 11, 2017
ijeezlux:
I was onces very active in programming, using c++ to solve problems. but these days because of how naija is I have almost forgotten what even a variable is in programming. what a sad story, well I put the blame on Nigeria's dilapidated stated. even my laptop is no where to be found. I sold it long ago when the going was very tough. so what I do these days to make ends meet is not in any way related to computer, let alone programming. wetin man go do na. I must survive.

when I see and hear young people talking about coding... I feel very bad. but God knows y everything is like this. but these days I still imagine code... I still think code... I still write code in my imaginary world. am even having that feeling that am better than i was before when I was coding with my laptop, I feel am now like an old wine that get better with time. ... so of late am now trying to use my little chinco phone to learn a more marketable(Nigeria) language (php and JavaScript).. but do u know what? I don't really have the zeal to learn them cos I feel they are too easy and that they don't pose any challenge to me.

if coding is what you love and dream of; then dont let it die bro... i like the fact that you still live with and dream codes... so; comming from me i'd say dont give up on it; just keep the spirit. you can apply for andela if u wish... can help catch ur dreams.. goodluck
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by ijeezlux(m): 6:04pm On May 11, 2017
phililp:

if coding is what you love and dream of; then dont let it die bro... i like the fact that you still live with and dream codes... so; comming from me i'd say dont give up on it; just keep the spirit. you can apply for andela if u wish... can help catch ur dreams.. goodluck

thanks bro.... may God make you bigger. please tell me more about this andela.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by Nobody: 6:14pm On May 11, 2017
Interesting. . .
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by Nobody: 6:42pm On May 11, 2017
Developers are programmers, but not all programmers are developers.

Developers follow the complete phases of App development, from gathering data, to building the complete application, testing etc,

but a programmer, usually focuses on one phase in the development cycle ,he could be front end oriented or back end, etc
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by phililp(m): 8:42pm On May 11, 2017
ijeezlux:

thanks bro.... may God make you bigger. please tell me more about this andela.

in a nutshell;

if your good in programming; you can apply.. they give you a home study text.. u study and then they send a text.. if you pass... u attend a bootcamp.. where they select the best participants..

it is based in python PL... i applied but cudnt make it.. so now am taking my time to stludy python getting set for it...
Andela is a dream come true.

click on this link to read more.. https://andela.com/apply/ they train you to become a world class developer and then pay while they train you...
you intern with them for four years
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by Mekzy02(m): 2:58pm On May 15, 2017
@philip bro! When do u intend applying again? Working on the same thing! I am learning python immensely now! Buh I have to finish my NYSC first before applying.. Would be going for batch B dis year! Lets link up if your not applying anytime soon!
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by phililp(m): 3:46pm On May 15, 2017
Mekzy02:
@philip bro! When do u intend applying again? Working on the same thing! I am learning python immensely now! Buh I chave to finish my NYSC first before applying.. Would be going for batch B dis year! Lets link up if your not applying anytime soon!

aiit bro!
you can reach me on

facebook: philips chike

linkedin: philips chike

or u can mail me

E.mail: philipschike22@yahoo.com

would love to meet you too

as for the application.. i aint in a haste. would apply when i think am due.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by abula112(m): 4:02pm On May 15, 2017
phililp:

you got it mixed sir.
All programmers are developers but not all developers are developers...
A programmer uses programming language which make use of logical operations like if this is not this then do this..
A developer does not hav to deal with programming, so far you can code in any other languages like markup or styling language you are a developer
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer by Mekzy02(m): 4:40pm On May 15, 2017
phililp:

aiit bro!
you can reach me on

facebook: philips chike

linkedin: philips chike

or u can mail me

E.mail: philipschike22@yahoo.com

would love to meet you too

as for the application.. i aint in a haste. would apply when i think am due.
Okay would add you on FB.. My name is Emeka Ofe.

(1) (Reply)

Who Can Crack This Pascal Puzzle? / How To Become An Embedded Software Developer / I Needed Area I Can Learn Graphics And Web Design In Aba, Abia State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.