Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,842 members, 7,806,375 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:33 PM

Dear Programmer, I Have An Idea - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Dear Programmer, I Have An Idea (1727 Views)

Any Programmer? I Have A Job For You. / Dear Programmer In Nigeria: How Much Is Your Salary? / Hey, Php Programmer? I Need Ur Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear Programmer, I Have An Idea by expertfingers(m): 10:53pm On Oct 19, 2012

I received an email today:

Hey Myles,

Was just hanging out with ***** this weekend and he mentioned your programming expertise and the fact that you might be taking time off in the coming month. I am resigning from my job in the next week to work on a startup idea for [insert description of app here]. I have effectively no programming experience and have been looking for a programmer to work with me on this project. If this is something you'd be interested in - or if you know someone who would have an interest in working on this kind of project - please let me know. You can also contact me on my cell: (*** *** ****). Thanks a lot man, *****.

My response

Hi *****, Great to hear from you - I hope all is well.
Your project sounds exciting, and I'm always glad to discover that people I know are feeling entrepreneurial. The world needs more of this attitude.
While ***** is correct that I have some programming experience and am not working for the next few weeks, I really can't afford to take on a project like this. I already have too much to get done and not enough time - I'm sorry.
Here are some thoughts however:
- The reality is that I get 3 or 4 emails per week similar to this one. In the current tech environment, any programmer worth their salt and known to be somewhat available is also getting these emails.
- If you want to snag a developer you're going to have to bring some value to the table. The developer is going to be asking himself, "why do I need you to execute this idea?" I could just build it myself..
- So, either you need to:

Have some way to pay the developer.
Have an impressive track record of expertise / success in the relevant industry.
Have considerable technical skills.
Have considerable design skills.

I don't want to dishearten you. I really look forward to seeing your app on the front-page of techcrunch : )
Good luck,
Myles

This kind of idea is the reason why programmers(especially, freelancers) get broke.
Source - http://blog.mkrecny.com/entry/23/
Re: Dear Programmer, I Have An Idea by sigmainfo(m): 7:52am On Nov 01, 2012
hi,

Let us know more details about your app. may be we can help you out.
Re: Dear Programmer, I Have An Idea by expertfingers(m): 8:49am On Nov 01, 2012
sigmainfo: hi,

Let us know more details about your app. may be we can help you out.

I appreciate your offer but you seems to miss the gist in this story.
Re: Dear Programmer, I Have An Idea by JackOfAllTrades: 5:06pm On May 01, 2015
interesting piece
Re: Dear Programmer, I Have An Idea by Nobody: 7:25am On May 02, 2015
Rude, uncalled for response

He should have stopped after the second paragraph

(1) (Reply)

Am a Software Developer.... But I need help from any of you guys. / Help On Project And Seminar Topics! / Live Webcam Feed In Vb6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.