Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,218 members, 7,825,818 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

Does Erasing Error Codes With The Scanner Solve The Initial Problem?? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Erasing Error Codes With The Scanner Solve The Initial Problem?? (18665 Views)

Error Codes From Nissan Murano / Help Nissan Primera P11-144: Engine Not Starting Error Codes P0335 & P1336 / Error Codes P1519 And P1166 On Honda Accord (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Erasing Error Codes With The Scanner Solve The Initial Problem?? by lacasa: 9:37pm On Dec 22, 2012
Hello auto-gurus in da hse, smiley

Took my 2005 accord 4cyl for a general scan and the result came up with 6 error codes sad

But, to my suprise the mechanic erased 3 out of 6 codes leaving 3 codes on the scanner. Then he said the remaining 3 error codes had to be attended to. undecided

Now, what i wanna кnoω is, does merely erasing a code solve the issue or ?.

2ndly, after the scan was done and codes erased, the engine idle dropped soo low that the engine vibrates especially with the ac on.

Any eplanation for this

(Would appreciate yr replies, thanks.)
Re: Does Erasing Error Codes With The Scanner Solve The Initial Problem?? by Denn(m): 6:36am On Dec 23, 2012
Codes are meant to indicate a possible malfunction in certain components or systems within a car. Some codes prop up because certain events did not happen in the recommended sequence. For example if during the repair of a door, one of the airbag wires was removed with the battery not properly disconnected, the airbag warning light will stay on even if the wires were coupled back. The only way to remove the light is to scan and erase such code. That doesn't imply that if there is a real airbag fault, erasing codes will magically repair the airbag

The diagnostic guy shld have listed out the codes both cleared and uncleared and proffered possible solutions.

Thanks

E&OE

1 Like

Re: Does Erasing Error Codes With The Scanner Solve The Initial Problem?? by lacasa: 7:21am On Dec 23, 2012
Thanks Denn for µя comment.

As u said, the codes were spelt out and i think about 3 sensors Were malfunctioning, (though, i dnt ave them wt me ryt nw).

Ranging from 02sensor bank 1 to etc (will get the codes posted ltr on). But, wat angered me was why a simple scan would tamper with the engine's idle making it drop very low sad

I questioned d guy on this and his reply was that due to some of the codes being erased, the computer did a reset and all i needed to do was to increase the idle speed.

At ds point i got angry and regretted going for the scan and left the place to re-compose myself and seek further advice on the situation.

(Though, someone told me to disconnect my battery for like 20mins and reconnect and hopefully the same computer will reset itself and its normal idle . Dnt кnoω Ђδω true and if this step Will work??)
Re: Does Erasing Error Codes With The Scanner Solve The Initial Problem?? by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:13am On Dec 23, 2012
lacasa: Hello auto-gurus in da hse, smiley

Took my 2005 accord 4cyl for a general scan and the result came up with 6 error codes sad

But, to my suprise the mechanic erased 3 out of 6 codes leaving 3 codes on the scanner. Then he said the remaining 3 error codes had to be attended to. undecided

Now, what i wanna кnoω is, does merely erasing a code solve the issue or ?.

2ndly, after the scan was done and codes erased, the engine idle dropped soo low that the engine vibrates especially with the ac on.

Any eplanation for this

(Would appreciate yr replies, thanks.)

codes tell you want need to be attended on the car its a straight way to the problem that trail and error

clearing codes wont solve the problem, will will pop up again if the issue has not been solved

there is something s/he touched that made the idle drop clearing a code wont affect idling
Re: Does Erasing Error Codes With The Scanner Solve The Initial Problem?? by lacasa: 1:00pm On Dec 23, 2012
Tnx ZIM DRILL,

Will get the idle looked at asap.

Getting good mechanics this days is a herculian task
Re: Does Erasing Error Codes With The Scanner Solve The Initial Problem?? by sultaan(m): 12:20am On Dec 24, 2012
If he just cleared the codes its normal for the engine to run different.

When your car had a problem the computer adjusted some parameters so it will run good.When he reset the codes the engine will start running normally but if if it still senses a problem it will revert back to where it was.

The codes you still see are pending codes, it will save those until it runs for a couple of days,if things are good the codes will go away, if they are still bad the codes will come back. Don't adjust anything. focus on the sensor that is not working or area.

In the US all mechanics are equivalent to mechanical engineering OND, so when you go to your mechanic don't let them repair anything else but the bad sensor area.

What do you mean the idle dropped so low, the normal idle is 600-800
Re: Does Erasing Error Codes With The Scanner Solve The Initial Problem?? by lacasa: 10:39am On Dec 24, 2012
Tnx sultan.

The idle dropped to about 500-550 on D and 600 on P

This caused the whole car to vibrate and shake ​ so​ much that i couldn't take it anymore so the idle had to be increased a bit.

Now, the car idles at 650-700 on P and 550-600 on D.

Well, i will drive it for about a Week and see then will go for a re-scan (at a better garage) then will make necessary actions to get it fixed.

(Where i'm situated currently, does not provide suitable garages like lagos or abuja)
Re: Does Erasing Error Codes With The Scanner Solve The Initial Problem?? by sultaan(m): 3:20pm On Dec 24, 2012
Well you are about to learn a lesson about cars, its when you start adjusting that things get worse, now you are trying to mask the problem
You will burn more fuel, bore wash, damage cat good luck.
Re: Does Erasing Error Codes With The Scanner Solve The Initial Problem?? by Denn(m): 3:40pm On Dec 24, 2012
dear OP
please paste the codes you have here.

dont forget to include the car make, model and year

many thanks
Re: Does Erasing Error Codes With The Scanner Solve The Initial Problem?? by lacasa: 9:58pm On Dec 24, 2012
@sultan, i got ηo choice right now cos aint got a standard mech to solve my issues. Will αve to travel first.

@Denn, will surely do.
Tnx and God bless

(1) (Reply)

An Overview Of Rolls Royce 103ex: The Future Of Luxury Mobility / Coscharis Partners Renault To Assemble Affordable Cars In Nigeria / 15 Amazing Facts You Didn’t Know About The Luxurious Rolls Royce Brand (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.