Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,791 members, 7,817,284 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? (11747 Views)

Engineers In The House / Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. / All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by hopefullman: 2:51pm On Jan 09, 2013
Thorpe85: One of d problem we have in dis country is dat we dnt tell ourselves d truth, we believe dat since we have Bsc or HND we are better dan dis technicians. All wat i know today as an engineer, i paid thru my nose to know dem after graduation. Most of the time our heads are filled with theories of laplace transform,integration by part, variation of parameters, electronics 1- 4,control engineering etc but au many of us university graduates can boldly say dat if we are put side by side wit a technical college graduate to to perform a practical dat we will be able to stand dem? I've seen dis people work before, d truth is dat dey are better dan most us graduate in pratical aspect which is wat people giving out dis job cares abt. Even our lecturers give their works to dis people. So wat do u expect?
Absolute.hw many mech engr(in nigeria) can completely servic a car engin?hw many electronics engr can realy design a major electronics gadjet?all d engr's wants 2do is 2wear tie and control others without actually knowing it jst because they 've spent 5yrs in schl.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by hopefullman: 2:52pm On Jan 09, 2013
Thorpe85: One of d problem we have in dis country is dat we dnt tell ourselves d truth, we believe dat since we have Bsc or HND we are better dan dis technicians. All wat i know today as an engineer, i paid thru my nose to know dem after graduation. Most of the time our heads are filled with theories of laplace transform,integration by part, variation of parameters, electronics 1- 4,control engineering etc but au many of us university graduates can boldly say dat if we are put side by side wit a technical college graduate to to perform a practical dat we will be able to stand dem? I've seen dis people work before, d truth is dat dey are better dan most us graduate in pratical aspect which is wat people giving out dis job cares abt. Even our lecturers give their works to dis people. So wat do u expect?
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by dasparrow: 2:53pm On Jan 09, 2013
@Post

I wouldn't know
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by adefash(m): 2:59pm On Jan 09, 2013
in my own simple contribution as a graduate of electrical engineering and as a professional engineer. the difference btw an engineer and a technician is the diff btw a mesical doctor and a nurse.An engineer is a professional who has learnt the skill of onverting narural resources into goods and services theough the use of scientific theories.a technician learns ghe skill of conatructing the design of an engineer.takw for instance an electrician may know how to wire a complete building but may not know the reason why a particular wire gets buent every time. an engineer comws up with the best dezign for a particular building and will still find out the cause of the wire getting buent always. he will also give processional advice.

2 Likes

Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by tiebe: 3:08pm On Jan 09, 2013
well said Adefash. a technician and an Engineer do not do the same thing. therefore, while you will sometimes see an Engineer doing a technicians job, it is not his primary duty. and a technician can seem like an engineer, but is not an engineer. same as doctor and nurse, architect and bricklayer. . .

1 Like

Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 3:13pm On Jan 09, 2013
adefash: in my own simple contribution as a graduate of electrical engineering and as a professional engineer. the difference btw an engineer and a technician is the diff btw a mesical doctor and a nurse.An engineer is a professional who has learnt the skill of onverting narural resources into goods and services theough the use of scientific theories.a technician learns ghe skill of conatructing the design of an engineer.takw for instance an electrician may know how to wire a complete building but may not know the reason why a particular wire gets buent every time. an engineer comws up with the best dezign for a particular building and will still find out the cause of the wire getting buent always. he will also give processional advice.

All na for paper jare!
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by ignis: 3:23pm On Jan 09, 2013
vizboy: if i may ask what is the work of an electrical engineer and that of a technician
Mind you am a Chemical Engineer. Am an engineer too. And I want to let you know that there are differnces between an Engineer and a Technician.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jan 09, 2013
abeg, next time you are building a multi million naira facility, or a high rise , call a technician

nonsense.

the proud ignorance of the nigerian whose idea of engineering project is a 2 bedroom bungalow

1 Like

Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by jonzy1(m): 3:39pm On Jan 09, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy: Make I see that Technician wey go come whine mouth for Petroleum and Gas Engineering and her Babies (Reservoir, Drilling and Production)

Because you (Technician) fit handle spanner to loosen screws and bolts from flanges, you think say you fit drag coat with ur Master?

Oya come Estimate the Stock Tank Oil Initially in Place (STOIIP) grin

If an artisan or person wey do one yeye diploma fit do small of Mechanical, Civil and Electrical

Make I see that Technician wey go come try am with Oil and Gas Production/Process Systems...by the time pressure build up for system... Na (((((Boom)))) go callam to order

Nwanne I feel u, na so my brewery processes be too. Simple but complex. Come see where all those NDs and city&guilds de meddle with the system. Thank God say na automated with enough safety casara for don bust. Here Engineers troubleshoot while Technicians/Artisans repair/fix

1 Like

Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jan 09, 2013
most of the people yarning this opata don't have money, and have never financed a real project, thats why they are talking all this bs

heh

i remember some petrol stations a naija billionaire gave to some people with the same mindset as the noisemakers here to build

see rubbish work - money just entering bush - millions were spent re doing the work propely
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 3:48pm On Jan 09, 2013
oyb: abeg, next time you are building a multi million naira facility, or a high rise , call a technician

nonsense.

the proud ignorance of the nigerian whose idea of engineering project is a 2 bedroom bungalow

You mean the multi-million naira facilities often built by foreign coys? which ones are you talking about?
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jan 09, 2013
oyb: abeg, next time you are building a multi million naira facility, or a high rise , call a technician

nonsense.

I can't say one is better or superior to another. They are all part of a team. Using your example of an high rise, the structural engineer or building technologist can't really build a high rise alone without the help of artisans and other trades people. I believe those involved would include architects, quantity surveyor, builders, structural engineers, artisans(bricklayers, plumbers, carpenters, electricians e.t.c) and technicians(crane operators, heavy duty equipment mechanics, forklift operators, welders, iron/millwright, HVAC, cement mixer operators e.t.c).
Note: I have an MS in Civil Engr.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by Seeeeeeee: 3:49pm On Jan 09, 2013
adefash: in my own simple contribution as a graduate of electrical engineering and as a professional engineer. the difference btw an engineer and a technician is the diff btw a mesical doctor and a nurse.An engineer is a professional who has learnt the skill of onverting narural resources into goods and services theough the use of scientific theories.a technician learns ghe skill of conatructing the design of an engineer.takw for instance an electrician may know how to wire a complete building but may not know the reason why a particular wire gets buent every time. an engineer comws up with the best dezign for a particular building and will still find out the cause of the wire getting buent always. he will also give processional advice.
I am a Petroleum Engineer, too many errors in your grammar makes me feel bad as an Engineer. Pls which school did u graduate from n what happened to your Gss?
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jan 09, 2013
hopefullman:
Absolute.hw many mech engr(in nigeria) can completely servic a car engin?hw many electronics engr can realy design a major electronics gadjet?all d engr's wants 2do is 2wear tie and control others without actually knowing it jst because they 've spent 5yrs in schl.

It's not the engineer's job to service a car, but am certain a real auto mech engineer will have no issues servicing a car engine if he needs to get down dirty.

Exact same thing goes for an electronics engineer - he can service if need be. But he also learnt how semiconductors are designed from sillicon substrate and may even have started with background on how valves instead of transistors powered electronics. Puts him in a good position to actually innovate. Just because we have a backward country where innovation isn't encouraged does not mean engineers don't have their roles which is quite different from a technician's (who also have a vital role to play).
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by rman: 4:01pm On Jan 09, 2013
I am suprised that a lot of people have not met practising engineers that is why it is so easy for them to say technicians in Nigeria can do engineering work.

I can not talk of the manufacturing area but for telecoms, construction and oil and gas, Nigerian engineers are doing wonders.

It will be difficult to convince anonymous folks that believe road side mechanics and electricians ( ''rewires '' ) are better than the real engineers.

Go to engineering close, a lot of designs are being done by Nigerian engineers ( both green field and brown field )

And I can confidently say our engineers planned and implemented the roll out and expansion for all the major telecoms operators in Nigeria.

ENGINEERING IS NOT CAR REPAIR, REFRIDGERATOR REPAIR, AC REPAIR, HOUSE WIRING OR BOREHOLE DRILLING. It entails much more.....
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by slimfit1(m): 4:13pm On Jan 09, 2013
Which one are you talking about there are certificate once and real once that look for solutions to a problem which we don't have in Nigeria and the once that just want just the name or title but can put two and two together. So which one are taking about ?
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by Nezan(m): 4:13pm On Jan 09, 2013
achi4u: Let me also add this!

How many fresh graduate engineers who can pieces(or open) a tractor or caterpillar in order to repair it?
Same thing applied in electrical,since most of what they are taught were in theory...in this case,both the 'novice' technician(as someone above rightly called them) and the engineer are at the same category.

One is educated novice(the engineer)
while the later is illitreate expert(the technician)grin

Engineers are not trained to ''pieces'' a tractor or caterpillar in order to repair it, that is the job of the artisans or technicians, i.e. mechanics and the likes.

Technologists are trained to supervise artisans or technicians, so the guy supervising the one ''pieces''-ing the caterpillar is the Technologist, normally with diplomas.

Engineers are trained with scientific ''theories'' and how they can be applied to guide Technologists and Technicians to overcome difficulties encountered in the process of ''pieces''-ing those caterpillars.

You get it?
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by Ericomoto(m): 4:19pm On Jan 09, 2013
rman: Engineers and technicians play different roles.

A good engineer should be able to do and deliver properly the technical aspect of engineering jobs.

A good technician may not necessarily know/understand the engineering principles behind what they do.

Engineers come up with designs, carry out research, in some instances, develop releveant sofwares, etc.

Technicians are needed only for implemetation of what engineers have come up with.

A lot our engineers in Nigeria today are basically technicias because or university system is not research driven. Our engineers most times only implement, hence the reason technicians can do their jobs in Nigeria. In a few instances, we have engineers that do real engineering work. A few can be found in our oil and gas and telecoms sector.

I agree with you.
Before anyone can make any assertion as the poster has made, you first need to understand who an Engineer is and who a Technician is and what are their roles. nigerian situation is pathetic such that trained engineers are now the ones you call technicians most of the time and where you dont see an engineer holding spanners and other hand tools does not reduce their knowledge. Technicians are implementer of what engineers researched and designed. I am a Telecoms Engineer and I can tell you that it is difficult for a technician to fully understand what I do except he has to go for extensive trainings. Engineering is not about being a foreman on site it is deeper than that it is about profering solutions to both existing and future problems. Only that surviving in engineering in nigeria is hard and you have to bend back taking the role of a technician.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by adefash(m): 4:54pm On Jan 09, 2013
honeric01:

All na for paper jare!
what will a bricklayer lay without the architectural design on paper.alot of technician have been saying this,by-passing the professional contribution and they have been collapsing our buildings.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by adefash(m): 5:13pm On Jan 09, 2013
Seeeeeeee: I am a Petroleum Engineer, too many errors in your grammar makes me feel bad as an Engineer. Pls which school did u graduate from n what happened to your Gss?
let me point out your faults
1)you failed to point out my mistake(s)
2)if someone can spend 4 years to study english but does not have good comand of the language, the person should be sanctioned.i should only be questioned if i make mistakes in my profession
3)what has my gramatical blunder got to do with my blunder,if @ all there is any,got to do with my profession? i did use of english in one semester in university and studied english from my primary school till i left secondary school.my secondary school education should be looked into rather than my university education.
4)they offer english as a subject even in england and their students do fail it.so which one be my own?
lastly,you are derailing this trend.you will be better as a politician in nigerian because this is how fhey leave cogent issues for non relevant ones.
my brother pack well make we pass.it is not bg force to comment.

1 Like

Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by illuminutty: 5:29pm On Jan 09, 2013

what grade did you graduate with? lets say you were to send a soft copy of your professional advice to one of your clients, do you think they can comprehend and interpret your advice if you were to commit this kind of grammatical blunder in your diction and syntax? Cant stop wailing for the caliber of graduates we have today in this country.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by illuminutty: 5:33pm On Jan 09, 2013

what grade did you graduate with? lets say you were to send a soft copy of your professional advice to one of your clients, do you think they can comprehend and interpret your advice if you were to commit this kind of grammatical blunder in your diction and syntax? Cant stop wailing for the caliber of graduates we have today in this country.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by kristosky(m): 5:44pm On Jan 09, 2013
U call yourself an Engr,but u can't do a simple practical work which a so called Technician can do with one eye closed.How many Nigerian Engineering graduates can even perform engineering duties unless such person person undergoes training possibly by so called Technicians?My guy go and equip yourself practically and stop crying or blasting technicians.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by WaltherPPK: 5:44pm On Jan 09, 2013
Unless you are mistaking engineers for technicians.I hear this kind of question often from laymen and don't blame them because they don't understand that what they are expecting the engineer to do for them is actually the job of a technician, when you tell them that the job of an engineer is basically DESIGN, that confuses them the more because you can only understand what is meant by engineering design if you have carried out one before, and that is why COREN will only certify you an engineer when it has been verified that you understand engineering principles by carrying out a design and can defend your design philosophy, these are things a technician cannot fanthom.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 6:23pm On Jan 09, 2013
adefash:
what will a bricklayer lay without the architectural design on paper.alot of technician have been saying this,by-passing the professional contribution and they have been collapsing our buildings.

Until our engineers start inventing/creating things in this country, i won't rate them highly from the technicians.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by jechona(m): 6:34pm On Jan 09, 2013
honeric01:

With all the knowledge, what exactly have you engineers invented in Nigeria? oh excuses, that's what you guys invented.

A farmer in a village in China was able to invent a car from his savings for 40 years, wetin una don invent? noise and excuses!

i no blame you sha!! Na lack of exposure the worry you, the farmer wey produce car for china na how many copies of the car him produce? If you the listen to news very well you go c say plenty engineers for naija done event things including student engineers but they can't go further because our government no seriouse with engineering ang engineering is not something anybody can finance. Guy the read news you go dey informed.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by jechona(m): 6:45pm On Jan 09, 2013
Don't forget that in the world today, among the world best engineers, Nigerians are dominating the list, the mistake some people are making is that they rate engineers with things they don't know about, try and find out the duties of an engineer then use them to examine an engineer and see if most of them will disappoint you, we have different duties for engineers, technologists, technicians and artisans.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 7:00pm On Jan 09, 2013
jechona:

i no blame you sha!! Na lack of exposure the worry you, the farmer wey produce car for china na how many copies of the car him produce? If you the listen to news very well you go c say plenty engineers for naija done event things including student engineers but they can't go further because our government no seriouse with engineering ang engineering is not something anybody can finance. Guy the read news you go dey informed.

Abeg enlighten me o, what and what have you people invented/produced in Nigeria that's internationally recognized like that of the Chinese farmer? i don't mind learning, please send me links to these news/inventions you're talking about.

Thank you my friend.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jan 09, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy: Make I see that Technician wey go come whine mouth for Petroleum and Gas Engineering and her Babies (Reservoir, Drilling and Production)

Because you (Technician) fit handle spanner to loosen screws and bolts from flanges, you think say you fit drag coat with ur Master?

Oya come Estimate the Stock Tank Oil Initially in Place (STOIIP) grin

If an artisan or person wey do one yeye diploma fit do small of Mechanical, Civil and Electrical

Make I see that Technician wey go come try am with Oil and Gas Production/Process Systems...by the time pressure build up for system... Na (((((Boom)))) go callam to order

Go and sit down jo! You too form jare grin. Technicians, over to you o
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jan 09, 2013
Engineers are not relevant in country that import most of products. Engineers design and direct manufacturing machine etc.Technicians do the repair under supervision of engineers. Supervisor cannot be more than technicians. We do more of repair and maintainance in nigeria. So demand for technicians are highers while number of jobless engineers are increasing.
SamConquer: ..ENGINEERS ARE NOT MARKETABLE ANYMORE..HANDWORK WEY PEOPLE THEY LEARN DEY SPOIL THEIR PLAN...
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by kinguwem: 7:40pm On Jan 09, 2013
The solution to the problem is for engineers to be innovative.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by hopefullman: 7:42pm On Jan 09, 2013
honeric01:

Until our engineers start inventing/creating things in this country, i won't rate them highly from the technicians.
gbosaaaa (1000 likes)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ways To Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work / Benue Civil Servants Shun Offices Over Six Months Salary Arrears / 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.