₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,317,761 members, 5,108,959 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2019 at 12:33 AM

Your Future As A Software Developer - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Your Future As A Software Developer (8424 Views)

Are You A Software Developer Or Software Companies With Beta Solution? / Interview Questions For A Software Developer ! / What Makes A Good Software Developer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by Nobody: 8:46pm On Feb 06, 2013
Wallie:

I'm a little late getting back to this thread!

@Kambo, can you please “throw” some carriage returns in your post to make it easier to read? I skipped your first post but decided to read this because I think you made some interesting points but the post is very hard to follow.

Anyway, I think you’re trying to say that one should stick to what he/she does best? I agree up to a certain extent. You also seem to state that being a software developer is mutually exclusive from being an entrepreneur? Are these your positions?

Personally, I think entrepreneurs are just people with varying skill sets that try to build a company out of an idea. However, before your idea becomes a successful company, you need to develop it which is where your skill set will come into play! If you do not have the requisite skill set, you partner or hire those that have it.

Having said that, almost all the techies that Kambo listed have the ability to code or, at the very least, develop the needed algorithm. Their ability to code does not make them software developers but it gives them the ability to develop their product or service up to a point (prototype) before getting “real” software coders involved.

@AJ
I do agree that some companies in India are now more than code-monkeys but for the most part, they do lack specific industry knowledge except if they’ve worked on similar projects in the past.

For example,
1. Patent Software – I will still need to give Indian programmers specific instructions to develop software that can navigate US and European patent laws.
2. Air traffic control software – they will most likely need specific instructions.
3. Obamacare Software – even though they might have generic knowledge about the healthcare industry, they will still need specific instructions.

A code-monkey, to me, is someone that you need to give specific set of instructions or pseudocode to before they can execute a task! They lack the requisite knowledge to implement a solution except to convert instructions to lines of code.

People that do the “manual aspect” of coding (converting instructions to syntax) can be easily replaced but not the person that gives the instructions because that requires industry specific knowledge.

1 up. This is all I have been trying to make plain.
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by 53cur3m0d3(m): 4:24am On Feb 07, 2013
Thanks so much for all Ur posts, I really commend U guys for makin it healthy cos wen we hav a discussion and not an argument, we grow. I don't hav much to say but I hope U guys 'll be able to decide from my 2cents..
(1) IF U WANT TO GO FAST, GO ALONE.
(2) IF U WANT TO GO FAR, SELECT THE RIGHT PARTNER.

as for me, I've made my decision...

3 Likes

Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by wapcali: 4:07pm On Aug 01
Your future in software engineering depends on the Reasons and Why you have batch into software engineering in the first place.If you become a software engineer because of Tiltle, you probably have no future because you will quite along the line.New programs emerges daily.
If you become a software engineer buy a reason that reasons becomes a dream and your future.

Are you insearch of a company that can help you in software development in Web App & Designs, Mobile App Design & Development, Digital Promotion Of Brand and Products

At Raposoft & Associate We Are Always There For You!

Completed Website Design & Apps Done: 50+

Means of Contact/communication with clients: Telephone Faceebook, Instagram, email and web design quot form for enquiries

Pricing: Ranges between N30,000 – N10+ million.(Depending On Package you’ll Love)

Our Software Development Quality: Good design, Quality Assurance, Quality Control functionality Visit:https://www.raposoft.com.ng For More... OR
Call : 0906 325 6126
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by Thompz43(m): 7:15pm On Aug 01
abbyode:
Waoh!!!

This is the best thread so far in Programming section.
I laugh at times when i read about lots of topics here especially when they start talking about supremacy of software tools among Java, Ruby on rails, Php, VB, dotNet, Perl etc etc.
I just assume they enjoy the fallacy of feeling great inside having written 20 pages of codes without actually deriving any financial value from it. Well, I also think maybe there are probably no bill to pay anyway.

The truth is, you have to be solution focussed. Be a problem solver not a giant in coding. Solving problems would put food on your table not hours of CODING. The functionality that your 20-page codes achieved could as well be achieved with some few mouse clicks using some sophisticated tools now available without writing any line of code. So, why re-inventing the wheel? These new tools allow you to concentrate on solving business logic rather than wasting productive time on coding just to achieve "CRUD".

The other time there was a software contest here on nairaland, I saw the thread prior to a long-haul flight and finished the whole solution during the flight. It was a tug of war here just because the tool I used is not as famous as the likes of java, C++ etc.

Is it about Java or about providing a solution?

The future of software development is such that non-techies would be able to develop sophisticated business / mission-critical applications without writing a single line of code. The earlier you start positioning yourself the better. You dont have to believe it but that is the truth. You dont need to believe in gravity but it exerts on you by default.

Shalom!!!

Good job
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by flowx(m): 8:35pm On Aug 01
laykhorn:

are u sayin ComputerSci makes much more sense than Comp. Engr?

No doubt about that...
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by wapcali: 11:41pm On Aug 11
Thompz43:

Real Programmers does not depend on any tools, equipment to design a quality Programs.They rather design the programs from the scratch to the finished.So that if there is any attack on there programs, it could be easy rectifiable and they can easily protect and secure there softwares.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Does It Take To Develop An Ecommerce Site Like Ebay & Amazon / Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? / Is This What Big IT Firms Do? Please Help Me Out Nairaland Programmers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.